Rumor: Sparks On The Block

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think we can all agree MAC is the better NHL backup goalie. Sparks is better than Pickard as per Leafs coaches opinion. But no one knew last camp if Sparks could make it in NHL or not. So now we know. Sparks very likely can't do it as a backup. No hockey exec ever has made the right call on every player every time. The real issue is how do we fix it and get a good NHL backup for Freddy at NHL minimum so we can stay inside the CAP?

Keep in mind Sparks or MAC made ZERO difference to our 1st round exit past 2 years. So this fix is right at the bottom of the priority list of fixes. Until we fix our defense we will have the same issue next year.

Reactions: Bluelines

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Of course it is a MASSIVE step. But virtually every 1st rounder gets a shot irrespective of performance. At least he earned his shot due to his performance at highest level of hockey outside the NHL. My point was every guy on that Marlies team knew they won the Cup because of Sparky. That is why he was voted playoff MVP and virtually every player and coach on his team said as much.

So he had a bad camp. You know who had worse camps- Marleau, Hainsey and AJ. All 3 of those guys had BRUTAL camps.

Marleau led the team in points in the preseason...not that bad

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau led the team in points in the preseason...not that bad
I was talking about camp at MC. It is only kids, parents, staff and some media with access. But after 2 drills he was gassed completely and needed recovery time. Father time kicked in at camp with lungs and legs.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I was talking about camp at MC. It is only kids, parents, staff and some media with access. But after 2 drills he was gassed completely and needed recovery time. Father time kicked in at camp with lungs and legs.

Got into game shape quick after that to lead the team I guess.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Marleau was quoted as saying after the last game, he is going to change his diet and training program over the summer and come back in much better shape. The body is a wonderful machine, it's incredible what a different diet and exercise program will do for your performance. I know from experience, going from a weight's based program to a calisthenics program in my early 40's it dramatically changed my performance in sports, I went from noticeably declining performance in my mid to late 30's to performing better in my early 40's than I was in my mid 30's. Granted the sports I played is at a much lower level of competition.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau was quoted as saying after the last game, he is going to change his diet and training program over the summer and come back in much better shape. The body is a wonderful machine, it's incredible what a different diet and exercise program will do for your performance. I know from experience, going from a weight's based program to a calisthenics program in my early 40's it dramatically changed my performance in sports, I went from noticeably declining performance in my mid to late 30's to performing better in my early 40's than I was in my mid 30's. Granted the sports I played is at a much lower level of competition.
I hope so. We need a 4th line left winger at over 6M per to be very dominant. I will believe it when I see it though if he is still here.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
If he wins the backup spot I’d give him a short leash. He was hot and cold and then really cold last season but it was a strange year. He wasn’t up to the challenge last year but if he acclimatized himself to the situation he could have the right head space to succeed.
Fundamentally he is flawed but we can’t ignore his actual decent games last year. Some goalies don’t hit their peak into until after thirty. It’s naive to think he can’t improve but that’s fine if it won’t be here, this team could use a veteran in net.
One thing for certain though, a backup around here is going to be eaten alive unless they are exceptional like McBackup proved to be.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Worse than Toskala

upload_2019-6-27_22-43-34.jpeg

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
With Hutch resigned, real goalie prospects to develop with Marlies, wonder how long until he hits waivers? No takers at the draft.

Reactions: Sypher04

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think we can all agree MAC is the better NHL backup goalie. Sparks is better than Pickard as per Leafs coaches opinion. But no one knew last camp if Sparks could make it in NHL or not. So now we know. Sparks very likely can't do it as a backup. No hockey exec ever has made the right call on every player every time. The real issue is how do we fix it and get a good NHL backup for Freddy at NHL minimum so we can stay inside the CAP?

Keep in mind Sparks or MAC made ZERO difference to our 1st round exit past 2 years. So this fix is right at the bottom of the priority list of fixes. Until we fix our defense we will have the same issue next year.

What if the Leafs managed to secure home ice advantage? No Kadri suspension maybe. No refereeing debacle in Game 2 where it was open season on the entire Leafs' team. Home ice in Game 7. Sparks lost 8 of his last 10 starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad