Rumor: Sparks On The Block

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
But he did screw up because it didn't work, it's only the right call if it works that's what makes it the right call.

A wrong call is a wrong call because they don't work.

This didn't work therefore it was the wrong call thankfully it looks like Dubas is going to fix it.

If somebody wins a lottery, do you think that person is good at personal finance?

You can make poor decisions and have it work out, and the opposite is also true.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Why? Did you watch Calder cup playoffs? He was absolute garbage when we needed him. He alone cost us that game. Much prefer Kask

Kask isn't and will never be NHL material.
Hutch was and might be again.

Mike Smith, Cam Talbot, trade for an old veteran. A Ryan Miller type would be perfect.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
But he did screw up because it didn't work, it's only the right call if it works that's what makes it the right call.

This didn't work therefore it was the wrong call thankfully it looks like Dubas is going to fix it.
Errors in promotion happen in all aspects of life. Great managers just make less of them, as they say to err is human. However if the kids in minors do not see a legit chance for promotion then this creates a real bad work enviro in the minors too.

Reactions: aingefan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If somebody wins a lottery, do you think that person is good at personal finance?

You can make poor decisions and have it work out, and the opposite is also true.

If somebody wins the lottery it doesn't mean they are good at personal finance .

It does mean they made the right call buying that ticket

Reactions: Stamkos4life

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kask isn't and will never be NHL material.
Hutch was and might be again.

Mike Smith, Cam Talbot, trade for an old veteran. A Ryan Miller type would be perfect.
This is a highly subjective opinion. He sucked in the Peg. That's why we unloaded him. A great guy but a mentally weak goalie.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
this isn't a great way to look at it, honestly. All you can expect is someone looks at all the information available and makes an informed and logical decision. You can't expect him to be able to predict the future

Pretty much. It's hard to fault Dubas for making the logical choice and having it backfire. Making the illogical choice and having it luck out isn't exactly a sustainable way of managing.

At least he's quickly trying to fix the mistake.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kaskisuo isn't better than Sparks other than he might be a steadier individual. It's the same with Hutchinson. Hutchinson was alright in his short stint with the Leafs but wasn't good everywhere else last season. I'd be more comfortable with Kaskisuo or Hutchinson over Sparks but I really think Dubas should look elsewhere to avoid more backup drama this season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Did John Ferguson Jr. get a GM gig? He's usually in the market for goaltending.

Trade prediction: Sparks for a conditional 6th round with the conditions being unobtainable for an NHL backup.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If somebody wins the lottery it doesn't mean they are good at personal finance .

It does mean they made the right call buying that ticket

Making a bad decision and getting lucky doesn't make it a good decision.

I seriously question your decision making process.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It would seem the Sparks era is coming to an end :laugh:

I still think the decision to keep him was the correct one, it didn't work out but it was still the correct decision to make with the information we had at the time

I think he's going to be traded for somebody else's #3G looking for a change of scenery, a waiver fodder swap if you will
Something happened with his confidence. It’s a tough spotlight to be in, he seems a reactive kinda guy. And backup goalie is a tough gig, usually takes good ones years to get there.....with a few stinker-ish seasons before they do.

I’m not gonna be surprised if he carved out a good career as a backup here and there.

Reactions: Kiwi

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I've always kind of been in love with Mike Smith. He had a poor year this year which could see him come in at a lower price. 1.5M or less per for 2 years would be a good look for next year.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

So there’s this thing called risk, you see. Every decision you make is a calculated risk. When you leave the house and go to work there is risk you get hit by a car, a crazy driver, but if that happens it doesn’t mean you made the wrong choice to go to work in the morning.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What's the chances the kid one day leads the Bruins to the Stanley Cup finals?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
this isn't a great way to look at it, honestly. All you can expect is someone looks at all the information available and makes an informed and logical decision. You can't expect him to be able to predict the future

Which is exactly what Dubas did.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Why bother? :huh:
Just send him to the AHL (after waive him). His salary is so low that it will not affect the cap.

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I love how the lead is that the Leafs have "quietly" put Sparks on the block. News flash: if a reporter picked up on it, it ain't quiet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad