Sparks is an NHL goalie for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sparks deserves more chances before passing judgement, but that's was some pure shit goaltending last night and does nothing to suggest he's going to get the job done.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Goaltending is a funny thing.
Sure was an AHL goalie tonight. Couldn't make a stop in the final minute, shots were going in everywhere. In it when we needed him lets the first shot in.
.794 save % tonight And 843 on the season. Cam ward is crap. Chicago should've traded for the proven 35yr old multi time waived McStarter.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Why not give Sparks a chance guys...?
Yes. I'm rooting for the guy.

I don't care if he sucks as long as he's improving. I think the Leafs make the playoffs even if he sucks. Leafs Nation could meltdown if Andersen gets injured early season.

Sparks doesn't look NHL ready.

McBackup was reliable for 2 years, i don't see why we didn't keep him under contract for goalie options. He wasn't expensive.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Looked like an AHL goalie to me.

6 goals against including 2 goalies in that last 1:30 after his team gave him the lead twice.

How about a save big guy.

For a big goalie, he plays really small.

You can tell he is out of his depth right now, but that is part of the growing pains with a young goalie and a young team. Hopefully as he plays more he gains more confidence.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
This guy is hot wet garbage. I get why they felt the need to give him a chance after what he's accomplished in the AHL, but he's clearly overmatched at this level and the sooner the leafs rectify the backup situation the better. Every time a blackhawk had the puck on his stick in the offensive zone I was ready for the red light to go on last night. Yes he got the win, but it was not a good performance. Time to kick the tires on somebody else.

Reactions: supermann_98

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone else want to know who made the decision on Sparks, McBackup, Carrick etc?

I want to know so bad if it was Babs or Dubas. I have to know!

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He has about a 5 start leash with me. If nothing after then it is bye bye.

I'll throw away that last game and the preseason if he shows me something good coming up. I don't think a lot of those goals were his fault BUT if you are going to win games/be a NHL player at some point you need to save 1-2 that aren't exactly your fault.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Anyone else want to know who made the decision on Sparks, McBackup, Carrick etc?

Right or wrong, the Leafs were looking long term and wanted to see if Sparks was an NHL goalie (we still don't know). I would guess it was Dubas, as having McBackup was easy coaching decision for the this year.

Carrick? Certainly Babcock didn't think he was NHL good by Carrick's lack of ice time for most of last season. Time to move on. Interesting tomorrow when Polak and Carrick will manning the Stars defence.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Dubas, he said clearly before the cuts the final decision is his, with input from Babs and others.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Right or wrong, the Leafs were looking long term and wanted to see if Sparks was an NHL goalie (we still don't know). I would guess it was Dubas, as having McBackup was easy coaching decision for the this year.

Carrick? Certainly Babcock didn't think he was NHL good by Carrick's lack of ice time for most of last season. Time to move on. Interesting tomorrow when Polak and Carrick will manning the Stars defence.
Babs liked Carrick more than Marincin, as evidenced by the latter being put on waivers last year and Carrick staying. Again, I see Dubas here with Holl and Marincin, there is a clear theme of liking his Calder guys.

Reactions: thewave

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

It was Dubas.

I’m not very upset about Carrick. He was overpaid for a seventh D man. Losing McElhinney was a mistake.

Sparks was fantastic in the AHL but the quality of shooters there isn’t the same.

Reactions: Eb

member 300185

You know who else thought Sparks had a good game? Babcock and Matthews. Hmmmm I wonder who I will actually listen to, you guys or Babs and Matty? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can't judge a goalie on a weird game like that. He was actually very good until the first goal. Saw a ton of rubber, "saw" being the operative word. Made some big saves, let in some tips and screens, but also some softies. Not great but I am going to give him some more rope. I thought McBackup won the job in preseason, so I don't have any "credibility" investment in Sparks. Remember this kid came in and recorded a shutout in his first NHL game. So I'll wait until he loses a game or two that he should have won before getting on the "waive Sparks" bandwagon.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You know who else thought Sparks had a good game? Babcock and Matthews. Hmmmm I wonder who I will actually listen to, you guys or Babs and Matty? :sarcasm:
Babscock thought Sparks had a good game ? lol , how the f*** did you get that out of his "pucks kept going into our net" comment ?

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred and rubous

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Lol yep.

Keep in mind, alot of these 'get rid of Sparks after a 1 game victory' people, ( lol ) are the same people who were yelling for :
Marner to traded during his slump, Kadri during his as well, Matthews to be traded while he was injured before people caught on, Freddy to be traded in October, all during last years 105 pt record settting season lmao

member 300185

Lol yep.

Keep in mind, alot of these 'get rid of Sparks after a 1 game victory' people, ( lol ) are the same people who were yelling for :
Marner to traded during his slump, Matthews to be traded while he was injured before people caught on, Freddy to be traded in October, all during last years 105 pt record settting season lmao
True. Good points.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Sparks had no chance on some of those goals. The rebound one he definitely needed to have though.

One thing I've noticed when watching the replays of the goals, Sparks has some trouble when there's a screen in front. It really makes me appreciate how good Andersen is at evaluating the situation when he's being screened. Not sure if that's just Sparks needing to be more proactive on pushing out and looking around screens or if he's just reacting too slow when he does look around.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Why would the coach and star player throw a guy under the bus after his first game? What good would that do when you have to live with the guy going forward. In private the whole team is praying that he can play better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For a big goalie, he plays really small.

You can tell he is out of his depth right now, but that is part of the growing pains with a young goalie and a young team. Hopefully as he plays more he gains more confidence.

Goalies take time, but 4 different times the Leafs had the lead and 4 times Sparks gave it up.

Reactions: Atomos2

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's too soon to determine if he's a capable NHL goalie. He has the tools but has yet to demonstrate if he can be consistent at this level.

I'm not sure why people are being so defensive about his effort last night. It was not good. Let's just call a spade a spade and hope he improves moving forward.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babscock though Sparks had a good game ? lol , how the **** did you get that out of the pucks kept going into our net ?

What's not to like about a goalie with a 6.0 GAA and .806 sv% and 4 times the Leafs gave him the lead and 4 times he gave it right back to Chicago?

Its not all his fault to be fair as Leafs defensive play is poor and that doesn't help the situation any.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
What's not to like about a goalie with a 6.0 GAA and .806 sv% and 4 times the Leafs gave him the lead and 4 times he gave it right back to Chicago?

1-0-0

All that matters for backups...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
well it could be Chicago .s goalie lmao .lots of goalies are struggling this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad