Sparks is an NHL goalie for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think keeping him was the correct call from an asset management and developing an asset point of view, so I'd like to see him actually pan out for those reasons.

Acknowledge that the Leafs aren't currently the 1995 Devils, but when you watch him, the thing that's discouraging about his potential is while he has a great frame, he's got no structure or economy to his game, doesn't play efficiently, has always been pretty poor at tracking the puck at the NHL level, and seems to have a nervous personality and projects chaos on the ice. And he's been incubating in the AHL for a long time, but still looks like a project goalie. He's sort of like Jonas Gustavsson that way.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
1st goal - Toews knocks the puck down from about 3'9" for the tip in. Not Sparks fault.
2nd goal - Debrincat with the tic tac tow play. Blown D coverage. Not Sparks fault.
3rd goal - Hayden's goal. Sparks stopped the first shot. No D coverage. No one covered Hayden. Hayden gets the second shot with no one even attempting to get to him. Not Sparks fault.
4th goal - Manning shot from point. Sparks completely screened on the shot. Not Sparks fault.
5th goal - Kane goes 5 hole. No coverage and Kane should not be left wide open. Sparks wishes he had that one back.
6th goal - Kane with the ripper. Off Hainsey and in. Not Sparks fault.

So for you people freaking out about Sparks, you are wrong. If you don't think so, go look at the replays.

People start piling on. Probably even some people who didnt watch the game are also piling on. Many of you are ready to run Sparks out of the league after his first game. Shame on most of you. Freaking gang mentality.

Not sure if some of you know this or not, but we won the game. Sparks only had 1 iffy goal.

Let me guess, most of you are also ignoring 3 highlight reel goals also. He is athletic. That toe save was freaking awesome.

"Oh, he is not NHL ready, he let 6 goals in". STOP!! Last season Freddy let in 5 goals 5 times and let in 6 goals 5 times.

Oh, did I mention he is young also.
Oh, did I mention it was his first game this year? Which doesn't really matter because only 1 goal was iffy.
Oh, did I mention he is also the back up goalie....not that it matters because 5 of those goals were not his fault.

"He is ECHL caliber". I heard that a few times. Are you serious? 5 of the goals are not his fault and he cannot be blamed for them.

Here is why the Hawks scored 6 goals....poor D zone coverage.

If you don't see the puck, you cannot stop it....most times.
If the puck is deflected in or re-directed at some point, then the goalie cannot be blamed.

But again, mostly blown D zone coverage.

Now lets see how many of you are going to jump on the "Sparks is not good" after 1 game....which most goals were not his fault.

Sparks was mobile, athletic, and well positioned. That is a fact. Blown D coverage is also a fact. Many tip ins and screens, was also a fact. He also had 3 highlight reel saves and that is a fact.

You can do that to a certain point but on Mannings goal, he had his own player and a Hawk 3 feet in front of him. Its not like he can skate out to them and say "hey, stop it, I cant' see the puck".

Thats because you didnt pay attention.

And why? Which of the 6 goals do you think were his fault?

People just want Sparks to be terrible.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've never been a fan of Sparks, and it's not like he's been changing my mind lately.

I personally believe Pickard was the one we needed to keep, but that's just me.

Reactions: stickty111

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
And why? Which of the 6 goals do you think were his fault?
All of them, the guy sucks and has never proven that he has the talent to win in the NHL. You cant give up a 6 spot, you just can't. His movements suck his tracking sucks his reaction time sucks. The guy simply sucks. Stop pumping this snowflake narrative that the guy is good, and open your god damn eyes. He can't play at this level.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Is that what you thought I did? Hmmm, perhaps you were trying to be funny yet most of us know how smart you are when it comes to hockey. Smart assed remarks dont bother me. Show us your intelligence.

I did think it was funny, didnt think you would. At least im being light hearted in poking fun at you, you're just straight up saying I dont understand hockey because im not praising 6 goals against on 30 shots.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I've never been a fan of Sparks, and it's not like he's been changing my mind lately.

I personally believe Pickard was the one we needed to keep, but that's just me.
One thing I will agree is Sparks looks ugly in net. However Mac with the same style still became at least a below average backup goalie, so maybe Sparks can do it.

member 300185

All of them, the guy sucks and has never proven that he has the talent to win in the NHL. You cant give up a 6 spot, you just can't. His movements suck his tracking sucks his reaction time sucks. The guy simply sucks. Stop pumping this snowflake narrative that the guy is good, and open your god damn eyes. He can't play at this level.
Really?

Tell me, which of the 6 goals scored would other goalies have stopped? Let me guess, every goalie in the league would have scored the 1st on where Toews knocked it down from over 3 feet in the air? :popcorn: Would they also have made not 1, not 2, but 3 highlight reel saves?

member 300185

I did think it was funny, didnt think you would. At least im being light hearted in poking fun at you, you're just straight up saying I dont understand hockey because im not praising 6 goals against on 30 shots.
Ok. I apologize for not recognizing your humour. But lets break this down.

Did you think the 1st goal were Toews knocked it down from over 3 feet in the air? Lets start there.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
One thing I will agree is Sparks looks ugly in net. However Mac with the same style still became at least a below average backup goalie, so maybe Sparks can do it.

Yeah they both play the Jonathan Quick-esqe "I don't believe in goalie positioning" style, but don't have the same insane acrobatic athletic ability.

I like Pickard in net with his calm demeanor, and has a history of being a very good goalie (minus the 2016-17 season).

Reactions: stickty111

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Um, no. His first game in the show he pitched a shutout, and was the first Leafs goalie ever to do that.

Okay his first game in the show as the official backup and permanent member of the team.

member 300185

Um, no. His first game in the show he pitched a shutout, and was the first Leafs goalie ever to do that.
To the point, intelligent and did it in so few words. I am a fan of your post and I am not kidding.

:nod::thumbu:

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Im not going to sit here and say im wishing for him to fail, not at all. I wish he could be a future star or even just solid backup. But Im not gonna lie either, he is bad. He is 25 already and has not shown a single thing in the NHL that would have me excited. For a team looking to take the next step, he is not a viable solution.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Really?

Tell me, which of the 6 goals scored would other goalies have stopped? Let me guess, every goalie in the league would have scored the 1st on where Toews knocked it down from over 3 feet in the air? :popcorn: Would they also have made not 1, not 2, but 3 highlight reel saves?
If you think 6 is acceptable for an nhl goalie, I have no interest in talking to you, you're just straight up wrong my dude. Avg tending is around 2.9 goals, educate yourself. This guy couldn't stop a kane shot beach ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
You just cant judge goalies in the first games in every season. That time of year is a feast for true goalscorers. Look at scoreboards every year in October. 8-5, 7-6, 6-4 etc etc.

Defensively teams are out of sync and most goalies are not dialed in yet, and even if they are, it is a damn tough job.

Sparks will probably be fine. To be better he need ice time at NHL level. Look at Hellebuyck in Winnipeg. Their fanbase did not have confidence in him for a couple of seasons

Reactions: SprDaVE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Because he's proven he can stop a puck and be a durable proven NHL backup caliber tender.

He's never really proven that other than be put into a no win situation and help an NHL team finish 30th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad