Sparks is an NHL goalie for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 300185

Lmao this guy, just lmao. If you think 6 is acceptable for an nhl goalie, I have no interest in talking to you, you're just straight up wrong my dude. Avg tending is around 2.9 goals, educate yourself. This guy couldn't stop a kane shot beach ball.
No, I dont think 6 is acceptable anytime, all I am saying is most were not his fault yet people keep putting him down without looking at the replays.

In the GDT, when Toews knocked that down from over 3 feet in the air, first thing everyone said there was "That was't sparks fault".

Most of you guys arguing were some of the people who said that.

There is like over 20 posts where everyone said it wasn't his fault.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I wonder what this nova guy had to say about sparkie's 5 spot in preseason. 11 goals in 2 games from this loser, but yeah hes NHL quality no doubt. Good thing we won't see him for another 40 days. Hopefully hes waived by then.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
No, I dont think 6 is acceptable anytime, all I am saying is most were not his fault yet people keep putting him down without looking at the replays.

In the GDT, when Toews knocked that down from over 3 feet in the air, first thing everyone said there was "That was't sparks fault".

Most of you guys arguing were some of the people who said that.

There is like over 20 posts where everyone said it wasn't his fault.
People grilled johnny burns on that hop shit all the time, its crap tending. Last game 5 spot this game 6 spot whats next? need hattys from marner jt and matthews just to get a point? Enough is enough, this guy sucks and has never proven he isn't trash.

member 300185

You just cant judge goalies in the first games in every season. That time of year is a feast for true goalscorers. Look at scoreboards every year in October. 8-5, 7-6, 6-4 etc etc.

Defensively teams are out of sync and most goalies are not dialed in yet, and even if they are, it is a damn tough job.

Sparks will probably be fine. To be better he need ice time at NHL level. Look at Hellebuyck in Winnipeg. Their fanbase did not have confidence in him for a couple of seasons
I like this whole post. All of it. :nod::thumbu::thumbu:

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I wonder what this nova guy had to say about sparkie's 5 spot in preseason. 11 goals in 2 games from this loser, but yeah hes NHL quality no doubt. Good thing we won't see him for another 40 days. Hopefully hes waived by then.

A bit harsh arnt ya? Loser?

Unfortunately he’s likely accomplished more at this stage of his life than you did or will at a that age, and potentially in your entire life.

Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesnt.

But his track record to date far exceeds what we have seen of recent and thats why hes here.

Im a big Sparks advocate and will admit that his leash should be short, maybe even 1 more bad game short, but calling someone a loser directly... common.

member 300185

What he thinks is this guy doesn't have a clue. So let me get this straight.....you think a pre-season game counts for something? Do you know how many other goalies let in anywhere from 6 to 8 in the pre-season? Gotcha, ok, you're the best.

member 300185

People grilled johnny burns on that hop **** all the time, its crap tending. Last game 5 spot this game 6 spot whats next? need hattys from marner jt and matthews just to get a point? Enough is enough, this guy sucks and has never proven he isn't trash.
OMG!! Did you win the Pre-season cup and I was not informed? Oh my, so no other goalies let in over 5 goals the pre-season who are actually starters for their team?

nick942

Mar 15, 2011
Toronto
I think you're being pretty forgiving of Sparks. That third goal was absolutely his fault. If you want to be an NHL goalie you have to be able to absorb shots into your body or deflect them into the corner. That rebound fell perfectly into the slot on a weak point shot - Sparks' rebound control is poor and it didn't cost him in the AHL, but it will on the Leafs.
I'd also say that that the fourth and sixth goals (while not completely his fault) are goals that better goalies could save. He needs to do better at tracking the puck through traffic.

I'll also make a point on his athleticism. When I look for the traits that I think make a goalie good I don't really bother looking at the big lateral saves. Good lateral movement is important, obviously. But so much of when a goalie makes an athletic save like that toe save, the skill/luck of the shooter plays a larger role in whether its a goal than the skill of the goalie. Think back to McElhinney's big save on Crosby 2 years ago. It's a big athletic save, but McElhinney was at the mercy of crosby there and got lucky. If Crosby elevates that shot even a bit it's probably a goal. The overall point being that yes that toe save was big and being able to quickly move laterally makes it more likely you make the big save. But so much of it is up to the shooter it's hard to use as a metric for evaluating a goalie.
When I evaluate Sparks, I look for the things he can control. I look at his rebound control, how well he cuts off the angle, how far out he comes in his net, how controlled his movements are, how well is he able to keep his body tight and not let pucks slip through, can he track the puck through normal amounts of traffic, can he absorb pucks. The vast majority of shots are not the east-west shots that require huge athleticism. You need the technical abilities to stop those shots or else you'll let in a lot of bad goals.
Going back to his Calder cup run last year, I've been especially worried about his rebound control, lack of controlled movements, and his inability to prevent pucks squeaking though him. He didn't pay for it in the AHL, but these are huge holes in his game and the leafs can only spend so much time with this experiment. Home ice is the goal this year, and Sparks is lucky he got to face off against one of the few goalies who is likely worse than him. But it wont be like that every night.

Also just a quick note on the Andersen comparison. Andersen is a solid, consistent .918 goalie. He can have bad games and you can be fairly certain it isn't representative of who he is most of the time. Spark's has never looked good in the NHL, so trying to write off this game as if it were an anomaly isn't right. This game pretty much fits into the trend of how Sparks has ever played at the NHL level. How many points are they going to leave on the table to try and see if he's changed?

Reactions: dsred

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
What he thinks is this guy doesn't have a clue. So let me get this straight.....you think a pre-season game counts for something? Do you know how many other goalies let in anywhere from 6 to 8 in the pre-season? Gotcha, ok, you're the best.

Those are NHL goalies having an off night, Sparks is an AHL goalie trying to become an NHL goalie, get it?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sparks did have a bad game, but tonight nor a couple preseason games gives any major insight into who he is as an NHLer.

Folks need to get off his back a bit and see how he fairs over his next few games because he’s the backup for the foreseeable future. He’s got skill, just needs to calm down a bit

Reactions: Hockey Crazy

member 300185

A bit harsh arnt ya? Loser?

Unfortunately he’s likely accomplished more at this stage of his life than you did or will at a that age, and potentially in your entire life.

Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesnt.

But his track record to date far exceeds what we have seen of recent and thats why hes here.

Im a big Sparks advocate and will admit that his leash should be short, maybe even 1 more bad game short, but calling someone a loser directly... common.
:thumbu:

member 300185

Those are NHL goalies having an off night, Sparks is an AHL goalie trying to become an NHL goalie, get it?
Yup, its harder. AHL goalies are not allowed to have an off night? I'm talking about his pre-seasn game not the one tonight. He was not at fault for 5 of the 6 he let in.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Its not just this game. Hes played Nhl games before(and I want nothing more then to draft and develop a good goalie) but each time hes like a fish out of water. He was given the preseason to put up at least a decent game and he couldn't. Not just that but Mchileny wasn't just a decent backup he was one of the best and didnt have to be waived. You should actually be really happy that Dubas is on your side and he"ll at least be here for another month. So far Oziganov has been scratched and Sparks crapped the bed. Not real happy with these moves.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
At the end of the day he gave up 6 goals. I saw some good flashes in his game, I don’t think the defence made it easy for him.

Certainly deserves another couple of chances before I make any calls
Agreed. Only one goal was really a bad goal, and he had a few nice saves. On the flip side, 6 GOALS, and a number of them pretty stoppable, though not necessarily easy.

Obviously I’m willing to give him more chances, he was very good for the Marlies, I can see him becoming a good backup. However, we already had TWO good backups in McElhinney and Pickard, seemed unnecessarily risky of Dubas to dump them both. I think that’s the issue most people have - AT BEST Sparks equals the backups we dumped, at worst he’s a significant step down, why take that risk?

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I mean if your impression from tonight's game is that 5 of the 6 goals weren't sparks fault and that hes a for sure nhler then i applaud you.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Through the preseason and this game, he's just not someone who I have faith in to make the big saves when we need them. No, not all 6 of the goals were his fault, namely the 1st and 2nd goals. But he's gotta save #5, and despite the deflection #6 is something Freddy would have stopped.

I think playing behind the AHL's best defence helped masked a lot of his issues last year. He treats the crease like a swimming pool and gets shell-shocked easily. Very inconsistent. I was at Game 6 of the Calder Finals when he utterly crapped the bed for us. Luckily we gave him 6 goals to work with the next game.

When your teammates don't have confidence in you, they play differently and it leads to mistakes.

member 300185

Agreed. Only one goal was really a bad goal, and he had a few nice saves. On the flip side, 6 GOALS, and a number of them pretty stoppable, though not necessarily easy.

Obviously I’m willing to give him more chances, he was very good for the Marlins, I can see him becoming a good backup. However, we already had TWO good backups in McElhinney and Pickard, seemed unnecessarily risky of Dubas to dump them both. I think that’s the issue most people have - AT BEST Sparks equals the backups we dumped, at worst he’s a significant step down, why take that risk?
I don't think he had a choice. Sparks wasn't going to clear waivers. Mac was put on waivers and that is a good thing. He is what....35? So Leafs want to keep Mac for a year or two, that just doesn't make any sense at all. And then you give up on the AHL goalie of the year. It costs money also to develop these players. So getting rid of Sparks needlessly would be a negative, not a profit. Pickard was probably picked because Sparks had just won goaltender of the year in the AHL. There's your answers.

Reactions: Slot

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
When your teammates don't have confidence in you, they play differently and it leads to mistakes.

Interesting point.

Do you not think that could be two sided?

When you are a goalie, and your defensive core infront of you is shaky at best, against a full NHL squad, in your season opener....

And in your home town with plenty of friends and family there to see you....

I believe that could play a part in a goalies mindset too.

That vibe...It gets contagious at that level when things are shaky on all sides.

He gets one pass from me tonight with all things considered.

Should he look as shaky as he did tonight in his next appearance or two if hes lucky, then I will motion for a time to make a change.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
nothing with the goals other than 2 tn. but u can tell just from his positioning he is awful. sure he will make some highlight reel saves.....only bc he is bad positionally.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
1st goal - Toews knocks the puck down from about 3'9" for the tip in. Not Sparks fault.
2nd goal - Debrincat with the tic tac tow play. Blown D coverage. Not Sparks fault.
3rd goal - Hayden's goal. Sparks stopped the first shot. No D coverage. No one covered Hayden. Hayden gets the second shot with no one even attempting to get to him. Not Sparks fault.
4th goal - Manning shot from point. Sparks completely screened on the shot. Not Sparks fault.
5th goal - Kane goes 5 hole. No coverage and Kane should not be left wide open. Sparks wishes he had that one back.
6th goal - Kane with the ripper. Off Hainsey and in. Not Sparks fault.

So for you people freaking out about Sparks, you are wrong. If you don't think so, go look at the replays.

People start piling on. Probably even some people who didnt watch the game are also piling on. Many of you are ready to run Sparks out of the league after his first game. Shame on most of you. Freaking gang mentality.

Not sure if some of you know this or not, but we won the game. Sparks only had 1 iffy goal.

Let me guess, most of you are also ignoring 3 highlight reel goals also. He is athletic. That toe save was freaking awesome.

"Oh, he is not NHL ready, he let 6 goals in". STOP!! Last season Freddy let in 5 goals 5 times and let in 6 goals 5 times.

Oh, did I mention he is young also.
Oh, did I mention it was his first game this year? Which doesn't really matter because only 1 goal was iffy.
Oh, did I mention he is also the back up goalie....not that it matters because 5 of those goals were not his fault.

"He is ECHL caliber". I heard that a few times. Are you serious? 5 of the goals are not his fault and he cannot be blamed for them.

Here is why the Hawks scored 6 goals....poor D zone coverage.

If you don't see the puck, you cannot stop it....most times.
If the puck is deflected in or re-directed at some point, then the goalie cannot be blamed.

But again, mostly blown D zone coverage.

Now lets see how many of you are going to jump on the "Sparks is not good" after 1 game....which most goals were not his fault.

Sparks was mobile, athletic, and well positioned. That is a fact. Blown D coverage is also a fact. Many tip ins and screens, was also a fact. He also had 3 highlight reel saves and that is a fact.
So ...you bettin on the Leafs to win ,next time he is in net? You may not see him again till nov. 9th against the Devils,unless Freddy shytes the bed again,but it's gonna have to be really hard to pull Freddy after what Sparky has shown thus far!
As far as your assessment tonite....he was not NHL caliber !
I let the first 2 slide...the 3rd one hit him ,he didn't save it or coral the puck,that rebound is on him,100%. 4th goal,well,it's the goalies job to know where the puck is...his fault! 5th goal...get real,Kane owned his ass! 6th goal,at that point in the game ,you are expected to stop everything,blame Hainsey ,go ahead,but I bet Hainsey was thinkin' "i better stop this,cause Sparky won't".
He needs to 'SHINE' ,get it ,like mac did!

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Jury is still out on him but, notwithstanding above justifications, letting in 6 goals on 31 shots is never a good start.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Interesting point.

Do you not think that could be two sided?

When you are a goalie, and your defensive core infront of you is shaky at best, against a full NHL squad, in your season opener....

And in your home town with plenty of friends and family there to see you....

I believe that could play a part in a goalies mindset too.

That vibe...It gets contagious at that level when things are shaky on all sides.

He gets one pass from me tonight with all things considered.

Should he look as shaky as he did tonight in his next appearance or two if hes lucky, then I will motion for a time to make a change.

It's definitely a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing. The defensive core definitely did not help.

I still maintain that part of a goalie's role is to be a steadying presence during the storm. Sometimes you just need your goaltender to bail you out. Tonight's performance reminded me of the Bernier years, when you never knew when he was going to let in a softy.

I just don't think he has earned any trust from his teammates based on how he has played.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad