Injury Report: Sparks Diagnosed With Concussion, Freddy At Practice (still on IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have said this since last season, get a high end back up for this team, reduce Freddy's games and raise his compete level.

Why bother? Babcock won't play him

They want Andersen to know he's the undisputed #1G and have done since he's been here and McBackup was statistically outstanding last season and Babcock still wouldn't use him and sit Andersen more

Unless you want to change the coach this is how it's going to be

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

They want Andersen to know he's the undisputed #1G and have done since he's been here and McBackup was statistically outstanding last season and Babcock still wouldn't use him and sit Andersen more

I think this is one of the main legit criticisms about Babcock, is his over reliance on the starting goalie especially near the end of the year when the playoffs is a lock. Fact is Anderson looked pretty bad to start the playoffs last year, he looks gassed. He clearly needed more rest in the lead up.

Reactions: Kiwi

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

until Freddy stops letting in untimely soft goals this team is going to struggle in the playoffs, maybe inner competition will help raise Freddy's game. I dunno how Babcock would handle Freddy and a "high-end backup" Mcbackup is not high-end in my eyes, and don't bother trying to debate it with me either, my opinion won't change lol

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
until Freddy stops letting in untimely soft goals this team is going to struggle in the playoffs, maybe inner competition will help raise Freddy's game. I dunno how Babcock would handle Freddy and a "high-end backup" Mcbackup is not high-end in my eyes, and don't bother trying to debate it with me either, my opinion won't change lol

So I guess Matthew's, JT, Marner Rielly are stupid too because they've said this far he would be their choice for team MVP

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think this is one of the main legit criticisms about Babcock, is his over reliance on the starting goalie especially near the end of the year when the playoffs is a lock. Fact is Anderson looked pretty bad to start the playoffs last year, he looks gassed. He clearly needed more rest in the lead up.

He did, I still struggle to see why Andersen played as much as he did down the stretch, we were pretty much sorted position and playoffs wise from about mid January

It was madness imo

McBackup was statistically outstanding last season, an absolute outlier I'll admit but if Babcock was not willing to use a backup goalie with a 934sv% I seriously doubt he's going to use his backup no matter who it is, he wants to ride his starter, that's who he is

I don't agree with him on a fundamental level but he's stubborn, so unless you want to change the coach this is what we're getting, we may as well just stick with the plugs we've got in that situation

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Disagree, but it's been discussed to death.

Sparks is average-->above average among backups in every statistical category.

Is he bad, or are expectations to high? Goal scoring is up this year, so maybe the standards are too high

I liked what Babcock said about being a back up and mental toughness.

Paraphrasing

He said that usually back ups are vet goalies who have seen it all and are now content being a back up so they are mentally more relaxed.

Young goalies on the other hand are looking to prove themselves and get mentally down i.e. get in their own way when not having big a good game or being back ups as they believe they are not getting the opportunity.

Personally I think we should have kept Mc-Backup and traded Sparks.

But to be seen what becomes of it I guess

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hutch was great in the first period, 18 saves on 19 shots. Meh! in the second, he let in a really really weak five hole goal that was the result of the team in front of him allowing a Minny d-man to walk right down main street. Third period he didn't get a lot of action, kinda a so-so period for him. I thought he did a great job of controlling rebounds, challenged the shooters but when it mattered he played like a back-up and not a starter.

The last few games it looks like the x-mas turkey went straight to the players heads, they are playing like a last place team. Lost structure, not a lot of bite or push back but they swarmed Minny in the 3rd but when it mattered the Leafs were out of position or missed on Grade A scoring chances. The Leafs 3rd period was a lot like those circle flies, they zip and swarm around people but never do anything but just do flybys and annoy you. Like I said a bit of x-mas fog (gravy?) in the heads of our guys right now.

The game could have easily been 8-4 for Minny or 8-4 for Toronto.
Thanks for the synopsis. Saw the hi-lites....Marner! unbelievable. They need to get their shyte together,quickly,Freddy or not,this team is built to score!!! So,go score.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Playing with a growing groin injury may be part of the reason why his save% dropped to .903 in December.
Good thing they gave him this break

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'm not convinced Freddie isn't one of those guys that thrives with a heavy workload. I think some guys just get better the more they play.

Freddie might've been gassed at playoff time last year. Or maybe he just got cold at the wrong time. There's no way to know.

Reactions: egd27

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Meyne, we gittin frederik back for monday and that there is some treal fire baby!! We got that fire fire baby!!!! :fire: :lit: :dirt: :bom: :bomb: :win: :we: :leafs: :leaf: :smoke: :got: :it: :the: :thing: :the thing: :tha :thang: :morricone: :the thing:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Oh! didn't know about the Sparksy noggin issue. Thanks!

I think Sparks did some voodoo to steal Willie's mojo. Once the house of Nylander performed an ancient Norse ritual to determine where Willam's energy went to, they deduced that Sparks was siphoning Willie's essence to boost his own play. There's a reason why that shot rattled Garret so bad. I mean, it wasn't a Shea Weber blast or anything, it looked more like a half-clapper at best. But when fused with the power of ancient spirits, William reclaimed his power with that seemingly innocent shot.

Now Sparks must atone for dabbling in black magic.

Reactions: bansheebeat

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm glad that the anti sparks brigade will have a chance to see some terrible goaltending. Hopefully it leads to some appreciation
.935 2.00. So terrible. If you're going to call someone out right? Live by the turd die by the turd? Works both ways right? Cheers.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
.935 2.00. So terrible. If you're going to call someone out right? Live by the turd die by the turd? Works both ways right? Cheers.
So this is the second time you're doing this, and I'm sure you are going to cry when you end up being wrong in the end because you have no awareness. Why do you have such a compulsive need to prove me wrong?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Frederik gon play monday that's a bank guarantee now that he's bezack :celebration: :fest: :pump: :needle: :of: :the: eye:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Take your time healing Sparks! Concussions are dangerous. Apparently, Hutchinson has your back.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I personally do not feel comfortable when Sparks is in the net, but I feel sorry for the guy

I hope it's not a career threatening injury (concussion), I hate to see any one going down with injuries or any other illness - I really wish him the fast recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad