Injury Report: Sparks Diagnosed With Concussion, Freddy At Practice (still on IR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This was a fairly dumb quote from Babcock - I mean, he saw the same playoff series last year as the rest of us, right?

Exhaustion isn’t just a mental state: adrenaline can help, but if a body is worn down enough it’s going to impact a person’s ability no mater how willing they are to play

Reactions: Eb and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

This was a fairly dumb quote from Babcock - I mean, he saw the same playoff series last year as the rest of us, right?

Exhaustion isn’t just a mental state: adrenaline can help, but if a body is worn down enough it’s going to impact a person’s ability no mater how willing they are to play

Sweet let's have him play all 82 games then, since nobody's tired come playoff time

******* hell that's dumb

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
If your too tired to perform in the playoffs, then get another job or train harder. Isn't that the goal of all players, to win?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He went on to play 6 games at the WC after our playoffs and posted a 1.65 avg 944 sv%. He was just bad in the playoffs, like the caps series.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
it takes around 25 playoff games to win a cup, and if you think Freddy is worn out at 60 ish games in and the entire season, how many games should Freddy start, 40?

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He went on to play 6 games at the WC after our playoffs and posted a 1.65 avg 944 sv%. He was just bad in the playoffs, like the caps series.

He got absolutely shelled at the WC too but stood on his head and was eating up the work. No keeper had to work harder than he did as he kept his countries slim Hope's alive on his back. The "he was tired" theory got destroyed by that performance. Some folks have a hard time admitting they are wrong around here though.

He wasn't even bad in all the games, just very inconsistent game to game. Im still very high on Anderson myself even though he went a bit cold against the Bruins, he can still be a cup winning keeper.

The only player who looked tired in the playoffs (and down the stretch) was Hainsey but they are taking it much easier on him this year so far.

Reactions: biotk

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If your too tired to perform in the playoffs, then get another job or train harder. Isn't that the goal of all players, to win?

Goalies have a heavier workload than most skaters. And the Leafs clearly have leaned heavily on the starter in terms of workload compared to most teams. McBackup didn’t even play 20 games last year.

I suspect wear and tear impact them a lot more gam folks realize

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it takes around 25 playoff games to win a cup, and if you think Freddy is worn out at 60 ish games in and the entire season, how many games should Freddy start, 40?

I think you could make a reasonable case to get his workload down 10 or so games, especially down the end stretch of the season once the playoffs are a defacto lock.

I’m not even a huge Andersen fan, so not trying to be defensive of him but he definitely LOOKED tired to start the series.

The underlying trend across pro sports these days is the importance of rest. Just look at the NBA, star players are getting rested more and more. I don’t know why folks think a high impact sport like hockey shouldn’t also be the same

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think you could make a reasonable case to get his workload down 10 or so games, especially down the end stretch of the season once the playoffs are a defacto lock.

I’m not even a huge Andersen fan, so not trying to be defensive of him but he definitely LOOKED tired to start the series.

The underlying trend across pro sports these days is the importance of rest. Just look at the NBA, star players are getting rested more and more. I don’t know why folks think a high impact sport like hockey shouldn’t also be the same

let it go ...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not going to happen. Hutch was picked up for goalie depth. They aren’t going to completely reverse that by putting another goalie on waivers just because he’s had a couple good games. And for what, a couple extra regular season wins, if any?

He’ll go down to the Marlies and we’ll rest a bit easier knowing we have a competent emergency call up option.

That could be the difference between home ice advantage and out in the first round. A "couple" wins could be extremely important.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So still not confirmation on fredson taking the thurdsay game and twerkin his tail feather off like there's no tomorrow like he gon be gone by daylight and we be so full of sorrow

etc.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think the biggest issue come playoff time is lingering injury issues, rather than fatigue.

The reason we lost the Boston series is because in Games 1 & 2, no one played. It's not because they were tired, it's because they just didn't show up.

However that said, a goalie who plays 66 games, likely doesn't have the time to recover from any lingering injury issues before entering a (hopefully) 20+ game playoff schedule.

Hence, you need a backup, who down the stretch can allow the starter to play, maybe 60% of the games, to end up around 55-58 on the season, and enough time in the last two weeks of the season to get rid of any lingering issues.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sweet let's have him play all 82 games then, since nobody's tired come playoff time

******* hell that's dumb

... or since the playoffs can be as much as 28 games, we play him 28 games fewer so he's is not tired... to say Andersen played poorly ONLY because he was tired is myopic don't you think?
  • Bergeron's line is one of the best lines in hockey, our skaters and coaching staff had no answer to limit their impact.
  • Bruins scored 3 PP goals on 6 PP in Game 1 (Bruins had 40 SOG), Bruins scored 2 PPG on 4 PP in Game 2, Game 7 Bruins had 36 SOG. For what ever reason the zebra's had a field day calling PIM's on Toronto, either it was the Jacobs effect or our guys simply played sloppy and took lazy PIMs.
I find it hard to believe with all of the medical attention our guys get from the sports science team, they would let Andy play to exhaustion or to the point where his performance is greatly impacted. These guys are monitored every game with heart monitors (BP), O2 sensors, etc.

Reactions: Kiwi

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
so many people are talking about games played and it's really not about that, it's workload within those games, if your goalie is regularly seeing 35+ shots a night he will need more games off vs a goalie who faces 25ish shots a game. the issue wasn't that freddy played 66 games, it was that he seen 2211 shots against, only Cam Ward in 10-11 season faced more shots in a single season this decade.

but at the end of the day was he tired? not likely he just had poor games, Freddy is not immune from having poor sub 900 10 game stretches in his career. and was most likely just a group of poor games for him, and I expect he'll be better this year, come playoff time.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The only issue I have with playing your starting goalie too much is that your backup may not get enough play to keep him game ready.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
... or since the playoffs can be as much as 28 games, we play him 28 games fewer so he's is not tired... to say Andersen played poorly ONLY because he was tired is myopic don't you think?
  • Bergeron's line is one of the best lines in hockey, our skaters and coaching staff had no answer to limit their impact.
  • Bruins scored 3 PP goals on 6 PP in Game 1 (Bruins had 40 SOG), Bruins scored 2 PPG on 4 PP in Game 2, Game 7 Bruins had 36 SOG. For what ever reason the zebra's had a field day calling PIM's on Toronto, either it was the Jacobs effect or our guys simply played sloppy and took lazy PIMs.
I find it hard to believe with all of the medical attention our guys get from the sports science team, they would let Andy play to exhaustion or to the point where his performance is greatly impacted. These guys are monitored every game with heart monitors (BP), O2 sensors, etc.

I don't think I ever said Andersen sucked only because he didn't get enough rest but I certainly think it's playing a part

He's playing a ton and the last few years teams that won the cup have had there backups play a lot of games, in fact you could almost argue they were tandem goaltending teams, in fact I think the backups even started quite a few playoff games as well

It's very difficult monitoring something like tiredness or exhaustion, it can be as much a mental thing as physical, Andersen lost his sharpness and looked sluggish, that suggests more than just the team being brutal and the PK sucking

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The "he was tired" theory got destroyed by that performance. Some folks have a hard time admitting they are wrong around here though.

It is a comforting story to tell oneself.

If the Leafs allowed a lot of goals in the playoffs last year because Freddie was tired then the solution is simple - ensure that Freddie is rested. The situation is under control as long as the team does what the fan wants.

If the Leafs allowed a lot of goals in the playoffs last year because they didn't show up on time several games, luck is a factor in sports, and sometimes goalies are streaky, then the solution is not easy. Control is lost. Uncertainty rules the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad