Soviet best player voting: full voting record

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
"Both of them have masterly command of the techniques: stickhandling, skating and bodychecking."

Now, bodychecking is not an aspect of the game Maltsev and Kharlamov are especially renowned for. But in fact there is more than one source and quote mentioning that particular quality of theirs – starting with Bobby Clarke.

On Kharlamov: "Kharlamov was an incredible player and he could play physically too." (Source)

On Maltsev: "He was great in everything – from controlling the puck to face-offs to physical play." (Source)​

Here's Yevgeni Rubin's take on the development since the international ice hockey federation had allowed bodychecking in the offensive zone in 1969-1970:

"Physical battles are now allowed everywhere on the rink and the defending team has thus been handed a powerful weapon: to stop the opponent with force, you don't have to wait until he appears in your own zone.
The requirements for the forwards have also become different. It was always believed that success in hockey is determined by the speed of reaction, speed of thinking and speed of executing technical skills. But the rule change has forced a reconsideration of the very concept of speed. What was previously considered to be fast is no longer good enough: before you have time to look around, you will be left without the puck, knocked down to the ice and plastered onto the board. Everything has to be done not in a matter of seconds, but even in fractions of a second. And you have to do what the opponent doesn't expect: even pause, even slow down. That's how Maltsev and Kharlamov play. And they themselves are looking for physical battles and feel at home in them."
Силовая борьба разрешена теперь на площадке повсюду, и обороняющаяся команда получила таким образом в свои руки мощное оружие: чтобы остановить противника силовым приемом, не надо ждать, когда он появится на твоей территории.
Иными стали и требования к нападающим. Всегда считалось, что-в хоккее успех решают быстрота реакции, быстрота мышления, быстрота выполнения технических приемов. Но нововведення заставили пересмотреть само это понятие — быстрота.
То, что прежде очиталось быстрым, теперь не годится: не успеешь оглянуться, как тебя оставят без шайбы, собьют на лед, припечатают к борту. Все надо делать нев секунды даже, а в считанные доли секунд, делать не так, как ждет противник, неожиданно. Даже паузы, даже сбрасывание — скоростей. Так играют Мальцев и Харламов. И они сами ищут силовую борьбу и чувствуют себя в ней в родной стихии.
Kharlamov himself would later reflect on bodychecking:

"In physical battles, I did not immediately succeed. But then I figured it out somehow: in this matter, it is crucial to choose the right moment for the collision with the opponent. If you do everything right, you stay on your feet and with the puck. If you rush it or you're late, you've got yourself to blame. I learned a lot from Starshinov, Vikulov and Davydov."
С силовой борьбой не сразу у меня стало получаться. Но потом как-то додумался: в этом деле очень важно правильно выбрать момент для столкновения с противником. Сделаешь все в аккурат, останешься на ногах и с шайбой, поторопишься или промедлишь — пеняй на себя. Многому я научился в этом у Старшинова, Викулова, Давыдова.
Source: Vladimir Dvortsov in Три скорости Валерия Харламова ("The three speeds of Valeri Kharlamov"), 1984.
Neither Starshinov nor Davydov is a surprising names here. Vikulov might be, but Russian coach and observer Dmitri Boginov had already singled Vikulov out as particularly successful in physical encounters at the 1970 World Championship in his 1970 tournament recap.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I always wondered why Yakushev wasn’t picked for the 1980 team after coming off an excellent Summit Series. Too old perhaps?

When I watched hockey documentaries when I was younger, the experts would always proclaim that Boris Mikhailov was the ‘best forward’ at the time and era.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In 1973, Yevgeni Rubin recorded a session where Valeri Kharlamov was answering questions of the fans together with his linemates (reunited since December 1972) Vladimir Petrov and Boris Mikhailov. I will present some of the more interesting questions and statements.

Several of the questions were concerning the NHL. It was the season of the 1972 Summit Series and Kharlamov himself had recently been in North America to attend games 5 and 6 of the 1973 Stanley Cup Finals between Montreal Canadiens and Chicago Black Hawks.

Question: "Could, for example, CSKA Moscow play decently against Montreal?"
Valeri Kharlamov: "Why not? Of course they could. Don't nail me down on the result, but we would play on equal footing."
— Ну, например, ЦСКА мог бы сыграть прилично с «Монреалем»?
ХАРЛАМОВ: А почему бы не смог? Конечно емог. Счет назвать не берусь, но сыграли бы на равных.

Question: "Would you like to compete with the professional in the World Championships?"
Valeri Kharlamov: "There's probably no athlete in the world for whom there is a more important and honourable competition than the Olympic Games. Participation in them cannot be exchanged for anything. So far the question is: either meeting the professionals at the World Championship or participation in the Olympic Games."
— Вы не хотедм бы сыграть с про фессноналами ма первенстве мира?
ХАРЛАМОВ: Наверное нет на свете такого спортсмена, для которого были бы более важные и почетные ссоре вания, чем Олимпийсние игры. Участие в них мельзя променять ни на что Пока же вопрос стоит так: либо встречи с профессионалами в рамках о чемпионатов, либо участие в Олимипиадах.
Note: In 1969 the international hockey federation had opted to allow professionals on condition that this didn't affect the status of ice hockey as an Olympic sport, but IOC president Avery Brundage shut it down.

Other questions were concerning the 1973 World Championship.

Question: "How do you explain that the games against the Czechoslovak team tend to be rough and the fact that there are always plenty of penalties?"
Vladimir Petrov: "Those games are almost always decisive games. Like this time. Secondly, the Czechoslovak team always builds their game against us from the defence. There is a struggle for every inch of the rink. (...) So there are physical battles in all areas. In such a game, you can't do without penalties."
— Чем объяснить жесткость игр со сборной Чехословании м то, что в них всегда много удаления?
ПЕТРОВ: Тем что игры эти почти всегда решающие. Это раз. Вовторых, чехословацкая команда обязательно строит игру с нами «от обороны». Идет борьба за каждую пядь поля. (...) Значит много силовых поединков на всех участках идут единоборства. При такой игре без удалений не обойтись.

Question: "What can you say about the refereeing at the World Championship?"
Vladimir Petrov: "You can hardly say anything good about it. The refereeing is far behind and it's bothering us a lot. You saw yourself how many times one referee spread his arms to the side to signal that everything is fine and we should continue to play, while the other referee raised his hand and whistled to call an infraction."
Boris Mikhailov: "It looks like we need to switch to three referees as soon as possible. Under that system, one person decides everything, not two. Then we will at least understand what the referees wants from us."
— Что вы скажете о судействе на чемпмнонате мира?
ПЕТРОВ: Ничего хорошего почти и не скажешь. Судейство сильно отстает и очень нам мешает. Вы и сами видели сколько раз: один судья разводит руки в стороны: мол, все в порядке пролол жайте играть, а другой поднимает руку вверх и даег свисток фиксируя нарущение.
(...)
МИХАЙЛОВ: (...) Видимо, надо и нам как можио скорее на тройное судейство переходить. При нем один человек все решает а не двое. Тогда хоть будем понимать, чего от нас судья хочет.
What Petrov and Mikhailov say here echoes criticism by North American observers on occasion of the 1972 Summit Series.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In 1974, Yevgeni Rubin interviewed winner Vladislav Tretyak. Here are some extracts.

One topic was that CSKA Moscow had had a difficult domestic season and that the Soviet championship was won by Krylya Sovietov Moscow under Tarasov's former assistant Boris Kulagin:

Tretyak: "In the domestic championship, I had a hard time. My performance in the early parts of the season was inconsistent, there were big letdowns. The mood was bad. We are used to victories and suddenly there was one defeat after the other. Usually the audience receives me well, but early this season I heard them whistling more than once." (...)

Rubin: "You really didn't start the season like in the past when you were stellar against the Canadians [in early 1972-1973]. You were accused of not training so zealously. Is that true?"

Tretyak: "I didn't notice it myself, but from the outside it perhaps appeared so. The load on us who play for CSKA and the national team is huge, both physically (there are many games) and mentally (we're supposed to win everything). You don't have time to recover over the summer. When you train you try to work earnestly, but there is no chase without the urge to give yourself some lenciency. Fortunately, we were able to restore both our shape and the good playing mood at the hight of the season. (...) I am sure: in the next season we will regain the champion title.

Rubin: "But Krylya Sovietov are not going to gift it to you."

Tretyak: "They won't. They are a fine team, perhaps the most balanced in our league: all their lines are good and reliable. But most importantly, they worked a lot more and better than anyone else this season. That's why they became first. But it's hard to work like that for several years."
— (...) В первенстве страны дело у меня не клеилось. Начало сезона провел с большими срывами, неровно. Настроение было скверное. Мы ведь привыкли к победам, а тут одно поражение за другим. Меня обычно публика хорошо приниямает, а в начале сезона и свист слышал не раз. (...)
— Между прочим, сезон ты и в самом деле начал неважно, в отличие от прошлого, когда прекрасно сыграл против канадцев. Тебя тогда упрекали в том, что ты стал, не так ревностно относиться к тренировкам. Это верно?
— Сам я этого не замечал, а со стороны, возможно, так и казалось. Нагрузка у нас, игроков ЦСКА н сборной, слишком уж велика. И физичесная — великое множество игр, и нервная — всюду обязаны побеждать. Вот и не успевасшь за лето восстановиться. Стараешься работать на тренировках добросровестна, но охоты нет, без понуканий даешь себе кое-какие поблажки. К счастью, в разгар сезона удалось восстановить и форму, и хорошее игровое настроение. (...) Уверен: в следующем сезоне мы вернем себе чемпнонское звание.
— Но и «Крылья Советов» не собираются его уступать...
— И правильно делают. Это отличная команда. Пожалуй, самая ровная у нас по составу — все звенья хороши и надежны. Но, самое главное, работали они в этом сезоне много больше и лучше всех. Потому и стали первыми. Но так трудиться, как они, на протяжении нескольких лет очень трудно. Сумеют ли? Если сумеют, опять выступят с успехом. А я все равно верю, что мы будем выше.
On nerves:

Rubin: "When we were once talking with you about your game, you were complaining that you don't know how to relax during the match, that you are always extremely tense, and that it costs you a lot of energy and strength. Back then you considered it one of the reasons for the decrease that occurred in your performance at times. What about it now?"

Tretyak: "There's some improvement. But, you know, in this respect I'm still far away from Konovalenko. He knew how to save energy. He switched off and focused instantly. Each goaltender can only dream to have the calm poise of Konovalenko. I am very excited during each match. I hype myself up – I'm afraid I'll play bad if I don't. And I spend every single game under such tension, regardless of who the opponent ist. I hope that over time I can still learn how to regulate my condition."
— Когда-то мы разговаривали с тобой о твоей игре. Ты жаловался, что не умеешь расслабляться во времп матча, что всегда напряжен до предела, а потому расходуешь особенно, много энергяи и сил. Тогда ты видел в этом одну, из причин наступающих иногда в твоей игре спадов. А как сейчас?
— Кое-какие сдвиги есть. Но, скажем, до Коноваленко мие я сейчас в этом отношении, далеко. Уж он-то умел беречь энергию. Он отключался и собирался мгновенно. О таком спокойствия изуравновешенности, как у Коноваленко, каждый вратарь может только мечтать. Я же во время каждого матча возбужден предельно. Сам себя завожу — боюсь, иначе плохо сыграю. И провожу в таком напряжении все игры без исключения исзависимо от того, кто сегодня наш противник. Надеюсь, со временем все-таки научиться – регулировать свое состояние.
On Soviet goaltending depth:

Tretyak: "I believe that we have a lot of excellent goaltenders now. If we talk about the domestic championship, then Alexander Sidelnikov was better than me. He has grown into a great master. At the World Championship, he didn't have the opportunity to show everything he can: he did not play in the crucial matches. It's true that he did not play as well as he could in the minor games. But, firstly, sometimes it's easier to make mistakes in easy games than in difficult ones because you aren't as focused. And secondly, our defencemen play too loose in those games – they really want to play ahead and goaltender continually gets into the most complicated troubles.
Vladimir Shepovalov and the club of SKA Leningrad had an unsuccessful year. But he knows his trade very well and will show up in the coming season and in the next. He's still far from 30.
I think that Viktor Afonin of Dinamo Riga and my old friend Gennadi Lapshenkov have come close to the highest level. They still have great games alternating with failures, but the load on both of them is very big: their teams are defensively weaker than e.g. ours or Krylya Sovietov or Dinamo Moscow.
In general, our goaltenders are in no way inferior to the foreign ones."
Я считаю, что у нас сейчас немало отличных вратарей. Если говорить о матчах чемпионата страны, то Саша Сидельников провел них лучше меня. Он вообще вырос в большого мастера. На чемпнонате мира он не имел возможности показать всего, что умеет: Сидельников -в решающих матчах не выступал. Верно, во второстепенных он сыграл не так здорово, как мог бы. Но, во-первых, в легких играх иногда и ошибиться легче, чем в сложных, — нет той собранности, а во-вторых, слишком уж вольготно чувствуют себя во время этих матчей наши защитники — очень им хочется поиграть впереди, и вратарь то и дело попадает в сложнейшие переделки.
Неудачно сложился этот год для Владимира Шеповалова и для всей команды СКА. Но дело-то свое он знает отлично и еще себя покажет и в будущем сезоне, и в следующих.
Ему ведь еще далеко до тридцати. Думаю, что подошлн вплотную к высшему уровню Виктор Афонин из рижского «Динамо» и мой старый друг Гена Лапшенков из воскресенского «Химика». У них еще отличная игра чередуется с неудачами. Но и нагрузка у обоих очень велика: защита в их командах послабее, чем, скажем, у нас, в «Крыльях Советов» или московском «Динамо».
В целом же наши вратари нисколько не уступают зарубежным.
On the 1974 World Championship:

Rubin: "Did any of the foreign goaltenders make a special impression on you at the World Championship?"

Tretyak: "They all played well, but there were no discoveries. I've already known all of them very well before."

Rubin: "And in which direction is goaltending developing, judging by the World Championship?"

Tretyak: "Everything is the same as before. It's necessary to improve and come out of the net more often. Shots on goal are becoming stronger and, most importantly, are fired from the most unexpected positions. Try to think of when Václav Nédomanský shoots. And his shots are almost always on target, no matter where he shoots from. If you stay in goal, you will not always have time to reach it, even if you react to the shot right away. So you need to move towards the shooter in order to reduce the shooting range. Hence the need to be alert all the time and to read the combination of the opponent as it develops."
— Кстати, произвел ли на тебя особое впечатление на первенстве мира кто-то из иностранных вратарей?
— Играли все хорошо, но каких-то открытий не было. Всех лучших я знал и раньше.
— А в каком направленни, если судить по чемпионату мира, развивается игра вратаря?
— Все в том же, что и до сих пор. Надо совершенствовать и все чаще использовать игру на выходах. Броски по воротам становятся все сильнее, а главное, наносятся из самых неожиданных положений. Попробуй уследи, когда будет бросать Недомански. И летят его шайба почти всегда в ворота, откуда бы они ни стрелял. Если стоять на линии, не всегда успеешь дотянуться, пусть даже среагируешь на бросок вовремя. Значит, надо выходить навстречу броску, чтобы умеяьшить простреливаемое пространство. Отсюда же и необходимость быть всс время начеку и разгадывать развитие комбинации.
On the upcoming 1974 Summit Series:

Rubin: "How did you react to the news about the new games with the professionals?"

Tretyak: "With joy. The memories of the past meetings have become dull. I look forward to the next meeting as something new and unknown. But the unknown is the most interesting thing in life."
— Как ты отнесся к известию о новых играх с профессионалами?
— С радостью. Воспоминания о тех, прошлых, встречах стали уже притупляться. Жду следующих, как чего-то нового, неизведанного. А неизведаниое — это ведь и есть самое интересное в жизни.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In 1975, Футбол Хоккей collected four statements on second-time winner Vladislav Tretyak by his predecessors Firsov (poll winner 1968, 1969 and 1971), Konovalenko (1970), Maltsev (1972) and Kharlamov (1972, 1973). Their statements reflect Tretyak's singular rank among Soviet goaltenders and at the same time reveal the lack of depth Soviet goaltending was suffering from – contrary to Tretyak's own optimistic statement from 1974.

Valeri Kharlamov:
"It was a difficult season for all the players in the national team and especially for our goalkeeper: the matches with the Canadian professionals, the Izvestia Cup, the World Championship. In almost every match, the goal was tended by Tretyak, and in almost everyone of them he had to work hard. Add the countless games of the domestic championship in which Tretyak also played and you will understand what kind of load was on his shoulders. And sometimes it was too much for him and he let in weak goals (...). But in general, there was nothing to blame him for. Was he not seriously preparing for the games? Did he allow himself to train with a lukewarm attitude? Did he try to impress the spectators in any single instance? No, no and no. If he allowed a goal of the kind a high-class goaltender shouldn't have let in, it was due to the fatigue which built up gradually and made itself felt from time to time.
I know how mistakes chew on Tretyak. And yet, at the right moment, he makes himself forget about them and plays with such spirit as if the season had just begun and he had just taken a break for a month. Performing with such spirit, confident and reliable, Vladislav was – in my opinion – again the best goaltender at the World Championship, even if Jiří Holeček got the official recognition. But after all, it was our goaltender who won the head-to-head duel Tretyak vs Holeček in the key games of the tournament. As for the battles of Tretyak with the forwards, there is an even more tangible avantage on his side. A breakaway, where a forward goes one-against-one with the goaltender, is almost always a goal. Even with a great goaltender. Except with Tretyak."
Это был трудный сезон для всех игроков сборной, а для нашего вратаря в особенности. Матчи с канадскими профессионапзми, игры «Приза «Известий», чемпионата мира. Почти в каждой встрече ворота защищал Третьяк, почти в каждой из них трудиться ему приходилось в поте лица. Прибавьте к этому, кажется, бесчисленное количество игр первенства страны, в которых тоже участвовал Третьяк, м вам станет понятмо, какая нагрузка легла на его плечи. И порой он не выдерживал, пропускал легкие шайбы, (...) Но в общем-то винить его было не за что. Разве он несерьезно готовился к играм? Разве позволал себе тренироваться с прохладцей? Разве пытался хотя бы в одном эпизоде сыграть «на зрителя»? Нет, нет и нет. А если он и пропускал шайбы, непростительные для высококлассного вратаря, так это от усталости, которая накапливалась постепенно и время от времени давала о себе знать.
Я знаю, как переживает Третьяк свои неудачи. И все же в нужный момент он заставпяет себя забыть о них и играет с таким настроением, словно сезон только начался и он встал в ворота после месячного перерыва.
Играя с настроением, уверенно и надежно, Владик, по-моему, был снова пучшим вратарем на минувшем мировом чемпионате, хотя официально им был признан Иржи Холечек. Но ведь своеобразную дуэль Третьяк — Холечек в главных матчах турнира выиграл наш вратарь. Что касается поединков Третьяка с нападающими, то здесь на его стороне еще более ощутимый перевес. Выхол нападающего один мо один с воэтаоем — почти верный гол. С пюбым вратарем, кроме Третьяка.
Viktor Konovalenko:
"If there is one player this season who had to carry overloads, even extreme overloads, it is Tretyak. There's a lot of talk about how the first five of CSKA carried the main burden on their shoulders in the most important games, and rightly so. But then, the Petrov line as well as the army defencemen got at least a little rest during each match. And the goaltender was always on the ice! (...) In the matches with the Canadian professionals, the crucial games for the domestic championship and at the World Championship, Vladislav was at his best.
Were there failures? Some blunders in his performances? Yes, there were. Why? Everyone who watches hockey can answer this question: Tretyak did not have a minute of rest.
Tretyak has been the number one goaltender in our country for three years. And in all these years it was not possible to find worthy partner, neither in the national team nor in the club. Over the past three years, his backups have been Pashkov, Sidelnikov and Krivolapov, but not one of them was on par with him. Because our goaltenders have not yet learned how to work in training like Vladislav.
Yes, there were letdowns in the game of our goaltenders. But remember, in the main matches he was beyond praise. And that's the evidence of his quality. A classy athlete knows how to get himself together for the important games. I admit, Tretyak played rather bad at the Izvestia Cup in Prague. But when the World Championship came and it was time for the first duel with the Czechoslovak team, he was brilliant."
Если кто из хоккеистов и испытывал в минувшем сезоне перегрузки, даже сверхперегрузки, так это Третьяк! Сейчас много говорят, и справедливо говорят, что основную тяжесть ответственнейших матчей вынесли на своих плечах хоккеисты первой пятерки ЦСКА. Но ведь как бы то пи было, и тройка Петрова, и армейские защитники в ходе каждого поединка имели хотя бы минимальные передышки. А вратарь-то всегда на площадке!
Ему-то каково! Успех в командных видах спорта неделим, он — один на всех, и все-таки вратаря отмечают особо. И в матчах с канадскими профессионалами, и в играх всесоюзного первенства, и на чемпионате мира Владик был на высоте.
Ошибался ли он? Были ли в его выступлениях срывы? Да, были. Почему? Каждый, кто следит за хоккеем, ответит на этот вопрос: у Третьяка не было ни минуты отдыха.
Уже три года Владислав Третьяк — первый вратарь страны. И за все эти годы ему так и не смогли найти достойного напарника — ни в сборной, ни в клубе. За три последних года дублерами Третьяка были Пашков, Сидельников, Криволапов, но ни один из них не стал вровень с Третьяком. Потому что еще не научились наши вратари трудиться на тренировках так, как Владик.
Да, в игре нашего вратаря были срывы. Но вспомните, главные матчи сезона он провел выше всяких похвал. И это — свидетельство класса. Классный спортсмен всегда умеет
собраться на главные матчи. В Праге, на «Призе «Известий», Третьяк, признаю, играл не важно. Но вот наступил чемпионат мира, и первый же поединок с чехословацкими хоккеистами он провел блестяще.
Anatoli Firsov:
"If everyone in our hockey had the attitude of Tretyak, no future opponent would be scary to us and our life as coaches would be much simpler. Athletes have periods when it looks like they would forget about the very word 'hockey' if they wouldn't gaze at the ice, the stick and the puck. At times I have experienced that myself. And with the current players, it perhaps happens more often than in my time. Even more with the leading players who set the tone on the national team and on CSKA. Their workloads are super high! And it doesn't surprise me when an experienced athlete frowns when he hears that the next training session is scheduled for the day right after the game or he even grumbles 'oh great, the off-day was cancelled again' or something like that.
I don't have to explain why Tretyak is burdened more than all the most burdened ones. But you won't even notice a shadow of displeasure in his eyes when he's told it's necessary to increase the loads or prolong the already difficult occupation."
Если бы все у нас в хоккее так относились к делу, как Третьяк, никакие соперники ни на каких будущих чемпионатах не были бы нам страшны. А наша, тренерская, жизнь очень упростилась. Бывают у спортсмена периоды, когда, кажется, не смотрел бы на лед, клюшку, шайбу, забыл бы само это слово — хоккей. Бывают, по себе знаю. А у теперешних хоккеистов — чаще, пожалуй, чем а мое время. У ведущих, кто ив сборной, и в своих клубах тон задает, тем более. Нагрузки у них сверхвысокие!
И меня не удивляет, когда опытный спортсмен в такой период поморщится, услышав, что очередная тренировка назначена на другой день после игры, а то и заворчит: «Ну вот, опять выходной отменили» или что-нибудь в этом роде.
Не стоит и объяснять, почему Третьяк загружен больше всех самых загруженных.
Но и тени неудовольствия не заметишь в его глазах, когда заходит разговор о необходимости увеличить нагрузки или удлинить и без того тяжелое занятие.
Alexander Maltsev:
"I don't presume to count how many matches I have played against CSKA or even how many shots I made on their goal. But it's certain that goals against them are very rare. Even though I have tried to get the shot off unexpectedly, either from under the skate of a defenceman or after faking a pass, I have almost never managed to catch Tretyak by surprise. He has an amazing goaltending instinct and seems to know in advance where, at which point, the puck will be fired. And Tretyak knows exactly when to stay in the goal and when to move out towards the forward. In this and in other situations, he manages to react to the shot in the fraction of a second does not just reach the puck but catch it.
That's how Tretyak plays in his best games. In the best games and in most games. Of course, there are unsuccessful games too. There were in the current season, in particular in the middle. But Tretyak got himself together (...)
Yes, Vladislav Tretyak has become a worthy successor to Viktor Konovalenko. But if Viktor had good backups in his day, I don't see any goaltender today who could replace Tretyak and give him an opportunity to rest."
Не берусь — сосчитать, сколько матчей я провел против армейцев, и уж тем более, сколько совершил бросков по их воротам. Но вот то, что шайба в них оказывалась очень редко, это точно. Хотя ц бросать я старался неожиданно — то из-под конька защитника, то имитируя передачу, однако застать Третьяка врасплох мнё почти никогда не удавалось. Потому что он обладает удивительным вратарским чутьем и словно варанее знает, куда, каки в какой момент будет послана шайба. И еще Третьяк точно знает, когда нужно оставаться в воротах, а когда выкатиться навстречу нападающему. В той и в другой ситуации он успевает среагировать на бросок в какие-то доли секунды и не просто отбивает шайбу, а ловит ее.
Так играет Третьяк в своих лучших матчах. Их и него большинство. Бывают конечно, неудачные игроы. Были они и в чынешнем сезоне, особенно в середине. Но Третьяк собрался (...)
Да, Владислав Третьяк стал достойным преемником Виктора Коноваленко. Но если у Виктора в свое время были неплохие дублеры, то сегодня я не вижь вратаря, способного заменить Третьяка, дать ему зозможность передохнуть.

Last edited:
Reactions: DN28

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
I always wondered why Yakushev wasn’t picked for the 1980 team after coming off an excellent Summit Series. Too old perhaps?

When I watched hockey documentaries when I was younger, the experts would always proclaim that Boris Mikhailov was the ‘best forward’ at the time and era.
I was thinking that why yakushev even wasnt picked for 1979 challenge cup team and maltsev also?. Was maltsev imjured like fetisov

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
When Tretyak topped the survey for the third time in a row in 1976, Rubin collected statements on him that North American players and media outlets had made over the years. I will quote a few.

Yevgeni Rubin:
"Here is the judgment of one of them, Frank Mahovlich, who has seen more than one hundred goaltenders in his long playing career: 'He is exceptionally fast and agile on the ice. We usually turn the boys who are the worst skaters into goaltenders. On the professional teams, even the goaltender needs to move well on skates, but he is still weaker than the other players in this regard. Tretyak skates like a field player. Like a forward, really.'
This quality of Vladislav was also noted by other players. Gilbert Perreault admired how quickly Tretyak moves across the goal, from post to post: 'Sometimes this is not a move – it is almost a dash. But standing on skates.'
In one of the game reports from the series of our national team against the WHA players, the New York Times correspondent identified Tretyak as an athlete 'endowed with an exceptional gift of movement. He splendidly and effortlessly performs all the movements required to reflect the puck. He is a real Bobby Orr of the goal. His ease and agility are difficult to imitate.'
Of course it was noticed that our goaltender doesn't let in long-range shots. The professionals had high hopes for their cannon shots from great distance. It was hoped he would not be able to catch the long-range slap shots and that the rebounds would provide excellent scoring opportunities. It turned out that these chances were slim because even pucks that were flying at a speed of 150 km/h [93 mph] were safely handled by the goaltender – they were either caught or deflected to an area where there was no Canadian forward.
For the longest time, Dennis Hull, the brother of Robert Hull, was inferior to his brother in everything except in the power of his shots. In the first series, he tried to break through our goaltender game after game and in conclusion he admitted that Tretyak 'handles long-range shots in a proper manner with virtually no errors.'"
Вот суждение одного из них, Фрэнка Маховлича, перевидевшего на своем длинном спортивном веку не одну сотню голкиперов. «Он исключительно быстр и ловок на льду. У нас во вратари обычно попадают мальчишки, котоые хуже всех катаются онечно, в профессиональных командах двигаться на коньках надо неплохо даже вратарю. Но все же он послабее всех других в этом деле. Третьяк катается, как полевой игрок. Как форвард, в самом деле».
Эту черту Владислава отмечали и другие хоккеисты. Перро — восхищался тем, как быстро Третьяк перемещается поперек ворот, от штанги к штанге. «Иногда это не передви жение — это почти бросок. Но стоя на коньках». В одном из отчетов об игре нашей сборной с хоккенстами ВХА корреспондент «Нью-Йорк Таймс» определил Третьяка как спортсмена, «наделенного нсключительным даром движения». «Он великолепно н непринужденно выполняет все движения, необходимые для того, чтобы отразить шайбу. Это настоящий Бобби Орр в воротах. Его легкость, поворотливость трудно сымитировать».
Конечно же, была замечена непробиваемость нашего вратаря дальними броскамн. На свои пушечные выстрелы с болыших дистанций профессионалы возлагали солидные надежды. Надеялись, что он не сможет ловить дальнобойные «слэпы», станет отбивать, куда попало, и это обеспечит великолепные шансы на добивание. Оказалось, что эти шансы невелики, ибо даже шайбы, летевшие со скоростью полтораста километров в час, вратарем надежно «обрабатывались» — либо ловились, либо отбрасы вались в зону, где канадских форвардов не было. Дольше всего не хотел верить этому Дэннис Халл, брат Роберта Халла, уступающий и во всем, кроме силы броска. Игру за игрой — в первой суперсерии — он пытался пробить нашего голкипера и в заключение признался, что Третьяк «обращается с дальними бросками надлежащим образом, практически без ошибок».

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I was thinking that why yakushev even wasnt picked for 1979 challenge cup team and maltsev also?. Was maltsev imjured like fetisov

Yes, and he, like Fetisov, missed the 1979 World Championship too (Yakushev played there on the fourth line).

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In 1977, a piece on winner Helmuts Balderis was pinned by Leonid Trachtenberg.

Balderis (*July 1952) had started figure-skating when he was four years old (1956). He "went to competitions and won prizes", but didn't enjoy it much. (His girlfriend and later wife Anita was an even more successful figure-skater and even became champion of Latvia.) In 1963, Helmuts Balderis switched to hockey. His coaches in the junior team of Dinamo Riga were Edgars Klavs and Harijs Vītoliņš senior. In 1968, Viktor Tikhonov (who had been the assistant coach of Arkadi Chernyshov with Dinamo Moscow) became the head coach of Dinamo Riga. Balderis said he wasn't sure how his "life would be if fate had not brought me together with Viktor Vasilyevich Tikhonov."

Balderis: "It seemed that Tikhonov was unfair to me, was finding fault with me – he constantly demanded the impossible and pushed me more than the others. But now I understand: this man taught me how to work in training, how to play, how to think (...)."
Казалось, Тихонов ко мне несправедлив, придирается, — постоянно требует невозможного, гоняет больше остальных.
Теперь я понимаю: этот человек не только научил меня работать на тренировках, играть, думать (...)
Some other interesting bits from his conversation with Trachtenberg:

Balderis: "Once I'm on the ice, I forget about everything in the world. I'm going out to play, to strike, to score, to win."

Trachtenberg: "With this spirit, you play in almost every match and therefore it's been more than once that you scored game-winning goals in the last seconds. But there are also games when Balderis is invisible. Perhaps there are times when you don't want to play?"

Balderis: "Oh no. It just doesn't always work out. I try, become angry at myself and ... I give up. It happens to me rarely, but never to Boris Mikhailov. He fights from start to finish in every match. No wonder he is the captain of the national team and, in my opinion, the best player of the past season."
— (...) На льду я забываю обо всем на свете. Я выхожу играть. Биться, забивать, побеждать.
— С таким настроением вы играете почти все матчи и поэтому не раз забивали решающие голы на последних секундах. Но бывают игры, когда Балдериса не видно на площадке. Быть может, иногда вам не хочется играть?
— О, нет. Просто не всегда получается. Я стараюсь, злюсь на себя и... опускаю руки. Такое случается со мной редко. А вот с Борисом Михайловым никогда не случается. Он сражается в любом матче от начала и до конца. Недаром он капитан сборной и, по-моему, лучший игрок минувшего сезона.
On his linemates in 1976-1977:

Balderis: "True, it seems we didn't do bad with Zhluktov and Kapustin. But still, it was better at the club level where I play with Pyotr Vorobyev and Edmund Vasilyev. And it's easier for Maltsev to play with Golikov and Prirodin."
Правда, со Жлуктовым и Капустиным у нас, кажется, неплохо получалось. Но все же лучше получалось в клубе, где я играю вместе с Петром Воробъевым и Эдмундом Васильевым. И Мальцеву с Голиковым и Природиным играется легче.

Trachtenberg: "In the domestic championship you scored much more goals than your linemates. Is your troika set up this way?"

Balderis: "I don't think so. If the partners successfully get open to shoot, I'm usually not greedy and I give them the puck. (...) Often a 'guardian' is assigned to me – for example Kovin [of Gorky] or Yevstifeyev [of Chelyabinsk] or Fetisov. In this case I have the role of a 'free artist'. I try to draw the attention of the opponent and one of my partners, more often Vorobyev, takes over the game."
— Вы забросили в чемпионате страны гораздо больше шайб, чем ваши партнеры. На этом и построена игра тройки?
— Не думаю. Если партнеры удачно открываются для броска, я обычно не жадничаю и отдаю им шайбу. (...) Ко мне нередко приставляют сторожа — например, Ковина, Евстифеева или Фетисова. В этом случае у меня роль «свободного художника». Я стремлюсь отвлечь внимание соперника, а кто-то из моих партнеров, чаще Воробьев, берет игру на себя.
On roughness and physical play:

Trachtenberg: "What do you dislike most on the ice?"

Balderis: "Roughness."

Trachtenberg: "But judging by the fact that Balderis has spent 57 minutes in the box in the current league season, he too can hardly be classified as a clean player."

Balderis: "You know, it's annoying when they hook you with the stick, hold you with their hands and trip you. It's not the way I've learned to play myself. I answer accordingly and the referees rightly punish me.
In addition, I want to play tough and not to lose physical battles, I get worked up and cool down in the penalty box. I have not yet learned how to bodycheck properly."

Trachtenberg: "That means you have not yet reached your ceiling?"

Balderis: "Agreed. I'm lacking composure and sober calculation and, when I play with the national team, confidence. It will come – and I will take the game over more."
— (...) А что больше всего не нравится?
— Грубость.
— Но судя по тому, что в нынешнем чемпионате Балдерис провел на скамейке 57 минут, его тоже нельзя отнести к разряду корректных игроков.
— Знаете, надоедает, когда цепляют клюшкой, задерживают руками, ставят подножки. Не научился я себя сде ть. Отвечаю, и судьи правильно меня наказывают.
К тому же я хочу играть жестко, не проигрывать единоборства, горячусь и остываю уже на скамейке штрафников. По-настоящему вести силовую борьбу пока не научился.
— А значит, не достиг еще игрового потолка?
— Согласен. Не хватает мне хладнокровия, трезвого расчета, а когда играю в сборной, и уверенности. Появится — и буду больше брать игру на себя.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In 1978, a write-up by Trachtenberg was dedicated to Boris Mikhailov. It's rather lengthy and features a review of Mikhailov's career and development. Much of what Trachtenberg and Mikhailov mention has already been brought up here and here. I just want to reproduce two remarks by Trachtenberg that I found interesting:

"Boris Mikhailov was recognized as the best by majority vote. At the same time, at the very end of the season, after the World Championship, unusual critical comments were made towards the troika Kharlamov, Petrov, Mikhailov, which has invariably been the first line in the club and in the national team in recent years."
Борис Михайлов признан большинством голосов лучшим. Вместе с тем в самом конце сезона, после чемпионата мира, в адрес тройки, где играет он, тройки, неизменно первой все последние годы и в клубе, и в сборной, произнесены непривычные для Михайлова, Петрова и Харламова критические замечания.
Unfortunately Trachtenberg doesn't specify what the critics were adressing.

"Mikhailov is, among other things, almost the last of a generation of players who have first passed through the school of yard hockey and he has remained faithful to its improvisational principles, drawing from it his wit of moves, his cheerful mindset in the game, his clever mean-spiritedness and his passion."
Михайлов, ко всему прочему, едва ли не последний из поколения игроков, прошедших, в первую очередь, дворовую школу и сохранивших верность ее импровизационным началам, черпая именно из нее остроумие ходов, веселый настрой на игру, умную злость и азарт.
30 years later, Boris Mikhailov would reflect on the "school of yard hockey" in his autobiography.

"For me the yard was perhaps a second family, an elementary school of life. My friends and I were quite independent. Probably more than the current generation of boys, we were able to make a decision and we were more purposeful. (...) Almost everyone lived in large communal apartments, in crowded rooms, without televisions and computers. Well, what was there to do at home? I even ate outside, at any time of the year – in frost, in heat, in snow, in rain. (...) In the summer, football, basketball, gotcha and cop and robbers was played from morning till night. (...) Many experiences masters at CSKA, for example Konstantin Loktev, told me what exactly had helped to shape them as boys. Loktev said: 'Our advantage was that we were not afraid of anything. In the winter, the favourite fun was to jump into the snow from the high roofs of the sheds. In the summer, they strove to choose an elevated spot on the shore and dive in the water or to jump from the second floor into the yard. It was a matter of honour to swim across the river Moscow.' (...)

Many believe that the generation of the 1940s was used to loads more than the current boys and with good reason. We gained stength in the natural process, played a lot, ran, swam, developed coordination, thinking, collectivism. For the coaches it was easy to work with those who were taken to organized hockey. The guys came with a good basic training. It was not necessary to start working with them from the scratch. Plus they had a great desire. This, above all, provided the foundation on which the Soviet school of hockey was built on. (...) Fans and sports experts rightly believe that in the 1950s USSR, almost everybody combined football with hockey or bandy, and in the 1940s there were masters who won in all three sports at once. For example, Army player Vsevolod Bobrov and Dinamo player Vasili Trofimov, who later became head coaches of the Soviet national team in hockey and bandy. Still, most boys began with football which did not require serious preparation. Of course, they also played hockey on improvised, self-built rinks, but without skates, in winter boots and snow boots, with homemade hockey sticks made of rods. And what they drove around with them were ordinary cans. At that time, not everyone could buy skates, mostly they were reserved for children who had gotten involved with proper sports clubs, and real pucks were considered a luxury item. (...)

Obviously, the horizon of the boys at that time was narrower than those of the present young generation. But there was a higher concentration on something specific. (...) We were, perhaps, more organized and independent than the current young generation. Nevertheless, they did not leave us all on our own. I remember that the adults from the house managment were watching us closely. (...) For some time, Nikolai Nikitin, a coach at the stadium of the Young Pioneers, was engaged with us in the yard. (...) With the help of adults, we were able to get into organized football and hockey. First we beat all the nearby yards, then we won the championship of the Leningradsky District [in northwest Moscow], then we participated in the championship of Moscow. (...) We boys from the Khoroshyovsk neighbourhood took a high place in the championship of Moscow. And our yard team was honoured to participate in the parade at the opening of the Luzhniki Stadium [in 1956]. To ninety-nine comma nine percent, that wouldn't cause delight among the children today: who cares and what is the good of this? But at the time of my youth, such things were considered great festivities. (...) The other guys and I gradually got into the game with the help of the adults, which gave us a chance go get into the sports clubs of the city. The ultimate dream was to get a uniform [from a sport club]. They didn't give it to everyone. Usually, after the match, you had to give back skates, sticks and pucks. Only those who were firm regulars of the squad were left with the equipment for the whole winter."
Двор был для меня, пожалуй, второй семьей, начальной школой жизни. Я и мои друзья сызмальства были достаточно самостоятельными. Мы, наверное, в большей мере, чем нынешнее поколение мальчишек, умели принимать решение и были более целеустремленными. (...) Почти все жили в больших коммунальных квартирах, в комнатах — по нескольку человек, без телевизоров, компьютеров. Ну, что дома делать — поел и на улицу, в любое время года — в мороз, в жару, в снег, в дождь. (...) Летом с утра до вечера играли во дворе в футбол, в баскетбол, в салочки, в казаки-разбойники. (...) Многие опытные мастера в ЦСКА, например Константин Борисович Локтев, рассказывали, что именно помогало формироваться мальчишке. «Наше преимущество, — говорил Локтев, — заключалось в том, что мы ничего не боялись. Зимой любимой забавой было прыгать в снег с высоких крыш сараев, летом норовили выбрать местечко на берегу повыше и оттуда сигануть в воду или «нырнуть» со второго этажа во дворе. Летом делом чести считалось переплыть Москву-реку». (...)
Справедливо многие считают, что поколение сороковых годов было адаптировано к нагрузкам больше, чем теперешние мальчишки. Мы набирались сил в естественном процессе, много играли, бегали, плавали, развивая координацию, мышление, коллективизм. С теми, кого взяли в организованный хоккей, работать тренерам было легко. Ребята приходили с хорошей базовой подготовкой. Не надо было начинать работать с ними с нуля. Плюс — огромное желание. В этом, прежде всего, виделся фундамент, на котором была построена советская хоккейная школа. (...) Болельщики и специалисты спорта справедливо считают, что в пятидесятые годы в СССР почти все совмещали игру в футбол, хоккей или хоккей с мячом, а в сороковые были мастера, побеждавшие сразу на трех фронтах. Например, армеец Всеволод Михайлович Бобров или динамовец Василий Дмитриевич Трофимов, впоследствии главные тренеры сборных СССР по хоккею и хоккею с мячом. Однако немало мальчишек начинало именно с футбола, не требующего серьезной амуниции. Конечно, играли и в хоккей на импровизированных, сооруженных собственными руками дворовых площадках, но, как говорят, «на ногах», то есть в зимних ботинках или в валенках, с самодельными, сделанными из кусков проволоки клюшками. А гоняли обыкновенные консервные банки. Коньки в ту пору купить могли не все, в основном они были у ребят, занимающихся в специальных секциях, настоящие шайбы считались предметом роскоши. (...)
Очевидно, что кругозор у мальчишек того времени был уже, чем у нынешнего молодого поколения. Но была выше концентрация на чем-то определенном. Каждый способный молодой человек выстреливал в своем направлении. (...) Мы были, пожалуй, более организованными и самостоятельными, чем нынешнее молодое поколение. Тем не менее в свободное плавание нас не отпускали. (...) С нами во дворе некоторое время занимался тренер стадиона Юных пионеров Николай Никитин. (...) С помощью взрослых мы смогли попасть в организованный футбол и хоккей. Сначала обыграли все близлежащие дворы, вышли на матчи первенства Ленинградского района и заняли первое место. Участвовали в первенстве Москвы. (...) Вот, например, заняли мы, мальчишки с Хорошевки, высокое место в первенстве Москвы. И наша дворовая команда удостоилась чести участвовать в параде на открытии Лужников. Девяносто девять и девять десятых процента, что сегодня это не вызовет у детворы восторга — ну кому это интересно, да и что это даст?… Но в пору моей молодости подобные вещи считались великими праздниками. (...) Я и другие ребята с помощью взрослых постепенно приближались к игре, которая давала шанс попасть в городские клубы. Пределом мечтаний было получить форму. Выдавали ее далеко не всем. Обычно на первых порах после матча коньки, клюшки, амуницию отбирали; лишь тем, кто прочно входил в состав, инвентарь оставляли на всю зиму. (...)
Source: Boris Mikhailov, Такова хоккейная жизнь (2008)

Sports journalist Vladimir Dvortsov too talks about yard hockey and the seemingly simple joy of receiving a uniform and equipment when he writes about how Valeri Kharlamov was admitted to the CSKA hockey school in 1962:

"A uniform! Real sticks! Real hockey gloves! Only someone who has chased an empty tin can with a stick in the yard for years can see the magic emanating from a simple shirts, shields, leg warmers, shoulder pads, chest pads and elbow pads. Only one who has dreamed of a helmet for years can understand the delight a fourteer-year old boy felt when he timidly put a rest plastic helmet on his head."
Форма! Настоящая клюшка! Настоящие шайбы! Настоящие хоккейные перчатки на руках! Только тот, кто годами гонял палкой на дворе пустую консервную банку, может увидеть волшебное сияние, исходившее стираных-перестираных рубашек, щитков, гетр, наплечников, нагрудников, налокотников. Только тот, кто годами мечтал о шлеме, может понять восторг, который ощутил четырнадцатилетний мальчик, несмело надев на голову красную пластмассовую каску.
Source: Vladimir Dvortsov & Zinovi Yurev, Форвард № 17 (1984)

Last edited:

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
In 1978, a write-up by Trachtenberg was dedicated to Boris Mikhailov. It's rather lengthy and features a review of Mikhailov's career and development. Much of what Trachtenberg and Mikhailov mention has already been brought up here and here. I just want to reproduce two remarks by Trachtenberg that I found interesting:

"Boris Mikhailov was recognized as the best by majority vote. At the same time, at the very end of the season, after the World Championship, unusual critical comments were made towards the troika Kharlamov, Petrov, Mikhailov, which has invariably been the first line in the club and in the national team in recent years."

Unfortunately Trachtenberg doesn't specify what the critics were adressing.

Well, Troika Petrova did play one of their worst (if not the worst) World Championships in 1978; I think only Mikhailov shined, and even he wasn't a 1st team all-star. They were overshadowed by the Kapustin-Zhluktov-Balderis line, and the Golikov-Golikov-Maltsev line had a good tournament too. Personally I think that Mikhailov and Petrov were brilliant in the deciding game vs Czechoslovakia (e.g. a SHG, terrific PKing throughout the game), but as a whole, it wasn't one of their good tournaments.

However, statistically, they seemed to have a good domestic season, and in his book, Viktor Tikhonov indicates that they outperformed Zhluktov's line (i.e. the 2nd line also on CSKA) in the Soviet league play.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In 1980, Футбол Хоккей featured write-ups about Sergei Makarov by their journalist Yuri Tsybanyov and by Anatoli Kostryukov, who had been Makarov's coach with Traktor Chelyabinsk from 1976-1978.

Sergei Makarov (*1958) came from a hockey family. His brother Nikolai (*1948) was a good player in his own right, the other brother Yuri (*1953) was a hockey referee. Kostryukov says he first saw Sergei Makarov when he was 15 years old (in 1973-1974) and playing for the junior team of Traktor Chelyabinsk: "He was not very coordinated and not fast, but had a good feel for the puck, liked to handle it and had an eye for the game environment."
In the summer of 1975, Makarov attended the training camp of Traktor Chelyabinsk in Minsk, but he remained with the junior team in 1975-1976. Towards the end of that season, he had a dispute with his coaches. When the young player refused to give in, he was scratched from the roster for the final tournament of the Soviet junior championship as a punishment. Furious, Makarov decided to quit hockey and switch to football. Under Tarasov or Tikhonov, such behaviour could have spelled an early end to a player's hockey career, but Anatoli Kostryukov took it as a sign of a staunch and sturdy character and called Makarov up to the senior team of Traktor Chelyabinsk. The next months, Makarov spent training with the senior team and waiting for his chance. In December 1976, he finally got to play in the Soviet league. In his first game, he contributed a goal for Traktor Chelyabinsk against Spartak Moscow. Soon he became a roster regular.
After his second season with Traktor Chelyabinsk in the senior league, Sergei Makarov was called up to the Soviet national team for the 1978 World Championship. In the summer of 1978, he switched from Chelyabinsk to CSKA Moscow. The first season with the Army club wasn't an overwhelming success:

Yuri Tsybanyov:
"It was difficult for him. The conditions were different, the linemates were different. How to find a rhythm and be most helpful to the team? At one point, it seemed that Makarov was a failure, he was moved to a secondary role."
Трудновато ему пришлось: иные условия, иные партнеры, как-то войти в ритм, сыграть полезнейшим образом? Одно время казалось, что Макаров потерялся, отошел на вторые роли.
Anatoli Kostryukov:
"I don't think Sergei was initially a failure for CSKA. That wasn't the issue. The thing is, he was a collective player. In the new team, he adjusted himself to the new partners and tried to put himself at their service. He didn't take on the role of a leader, not because he was not capable of it, but because of his modesty and respect for his older comrades. In general that's a commendable trait, but not in sports, not in the game."
Я не считаю, что Сергей на первых порах потерялся в ЦСКА. Дело было в другом. Я упомянул, что он игрок коллективный. И в новой команде он приноравливался к новым партнерам, где-то играл «под них», не брал на себя роль лидера, не оттого, что не был на это способен, а из-за скромности, уважения к сташим товарищам. В щем то это похвально, однако не в спорте, не в игре.
Yuri Tsybanyov:
"But then there was the Challenge Cup against the NHL team – and the troika with Makarov and the Golikov brothers was the strongest on our team. And there was the World Championship – and Makarov was our top scorer. In the domestic championship, his efforts were not marked by the highest numbers – 18 goals and 21 assists –, but they were decent."
Но вот «Кубок вызова» со сборной НХЛ — и тройка, в которой Макаров и братья Голиковы, — сильнейшая, вот чемпионат мира в Москве — и Макаров забивает больше всех. В чемпионате же страны его усилия были отмечены не самыми большими числами — 18 шайб, 21 голевая передача, но, впрочем, пристойными.
In the next season, 1979-1980, Makarov had a breakout year.

Anatoli Kostryukov:
"In the past season, Makarov's potential was revealed. He became one of the leaders of CSKA and proved himself a player tirelessly rushing to the goal through the most difficult barriers."
В ми нувшем сезоне потенциал Макарова раскрылся, он и в ЦСКА стал ведущим, проявляет себя игроком неутомимым, рвущимся к воротам через самые сложные заслоны.
Yuri Tsybanyov:
"Last year, he was confused by the line changes at times. That has gone. Makarov has learned to adapt to the playing cirumstances."
В прошлом году перемены его иногда смущали, нынче — уже нет. Макаров научился подчинять себе игровые обстоятельства.
Some more comments on his game:

Anatoli Kostryukov:
"Sergei has another quality that is very welcome to the coaches: he doesn't discuss with whom he should play, he's not making demands, but is trying to establish an interaction with whoever the coaches put him with."
А еще у Сергея есть качество, которое во многом облегчает ор тренеров: он не обсуждает, с кем ему удобно играть, не капризничает, а старается наладить взаимодействие с теми, с кем его ставят тренеры.
Yuri Tsybanyov:
"One of the reasons why I want to highlight his 39 assists: he's still a forward without a set line. With whom has he not happened to play: with the Golikov brothers, Drozdetsky, Lobanov, Balderis, Zhluktov, Petrov, Kapustin..."
И еще по одной причине заостряю внимание на 39 голевых передачах Макарова. Он до сих пор — нападающий без тройки. С кем только ему не довелось поиграть: с Голиковыми, Дроздецким, Лобановым, Балдерисом, Жлуктовым, Петровым, Капустиным...
Anatoli Kostryukov:
"There are many good things you can say about Makarov. But if I had to pick one word that would characterize him best, I would use the word 'organized'."
О Макарове можно рассказать много хорошего. Но если подбирать одно слово, какое бы его полнее всего охарактеризовало, то я бы употребил слово «организованный».
Yuri Tsybanyov:
"Traktor Chelyabinsk has perhaps always been the fastest skating team in our country. You look at their players and it seems as if they were made to skate on ice. In some peculiar way, they don't seem to lean on the ice but just push off lightly in order to catch the speed and momentum for their elegant and smart stick work. This kind of ease of movement is the trademark of the Chelyabinsk team, but at the same time it's also a weakness, because the feeling of strength and power is alien to it, and the inevitable and needful collisions in the game are viewed as annoying and unpleasant.
Makarov, however, is from a new generation of players from Chelyabinsk. They have added fighting spirit to the original style. That is why the demand for Chelyabinsk players (such as Makarov, Sergei Babinov, Valeri Yevstifeyev and Sergei Starikov) has recently increased so much among our leading clubs.
As a true citizen of Chelyabinsk, Makarov is a great lover and master of the stickhandling. If we had a dribbling competitions, he would be among the winners. But he's using it for a variety of reasons. Some are fond of stickhandling ouf of shortsightedness, they like to be fancy and to show off. Makarov often uses stickhandling, but only because it is a mean to attack the goal. I emphasize: one out of several means. That's why he got 39 assists.
Moreover, in everything Makarov does on the ice, he appears like an experienced craftsman (which is rare in his young age) who shows skill and care in handling the tool (the stick) and the work piece (the puck)."
Челябинский «Трактор» всех, пожалуй, времен — самая наша конькобежная команда. Глядишь на челябинских хоккеистов — и кажется, будто от природы суждено им по льду кататься, причем как-то по-своему, по-особому, не опираясь о лед, а легонечко от него отталкиваясь, дабы поймать скорость и импульс для изящной, ловкой работы клюшкой.
Этакая воздушность передвижений — лицо челябинской команды, но одновременно и ее слабость, ибо теряется ощущение силы, мощи, а неизбежные и нужные в игре столкновения становятся досадными и неприятными.
Макаров же — из нового поколения челябинского хоккея, дополнившего исконную манеру, я бы сказал, «хоккейностью», боевитостью. Потому-то, кстати, так повысился в последнее время спрос ведущих клубов на челябинских игроков — таких, как Макаров, Бабинов, Евстифеев, Стариков.
Макаров, как истый челябинец — болышой любитель и мастер обводки. Проводись у нас соревнования по дриблингу — быть ему среди победителей. Но обводят из разных соображений. Кто-то увлекается этим делом от хоккейной близорукости, кто-то хочет понравиться, покрасоваться. Макаров применяет обводку часто, но лишь оттого, что это один из способов атаки ворот. Подчеркиваю: один из нескольких. Отсюда и происходят его 39 голевых передач. Причем все, что делает на площадке Макаров, бывает отмечено клеймом — бывалого мастерового (что в его молодые годы редкость), умелого и бережного в обращении с орудием труда — клюшкой и с предметом труда — шайбой.

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
1978-1979

Source: Football-Hockey 18/1979 (May 6th)

Football-Hockey didn't conduct a poll since the Izvestia poll for the Best European Player (at the 1979 World Championship) already produced something of a Soviet Best Player ranking: Boris Mikhailov was first, Valeri Vasilyev second, Valeri Kharlamov third, Sergei Makarov fourth, Vladislav Tretyak fifth and Vladimir Petrov sixth.

The announcement in "Football-Hockey" reads:

"From the editors. Since most of the journalists who annually vote for the best players in our country participated in the poll to determine the best player in Europe, we consider the result of the poll as the result of the election determining the best player in our country in the 1978-1979 season. Therefore, Boris Mikhailov is the best player of the USSR."

View attachment 344350

I thought I´d just take a look and write here what based on my understanding is full 1979 'Soviet Player of the Year' voting results extracted from ´79 Izvestia voting as sourced by seventieslord in this post.

1978-1979 (578 voters)

#Player:Pos:Team:Pts:1st:2nd:3rd:
1.Boris MikhailovRWCSKA4351202721
2.Valeri VasilyevDDinamo345486669
3.Valeri KharlamovLWCSKA30084216
4.Sergei MakarovRWCSKA279484545
5.Vladislav TretiakGCSKA189244233
6.Vladimir PetrovCCSKA129152730
7.Zinetula BilyaletdinovDDinamo486912
8.Sergei KapustinLWCSKA486618
9.Alexander GolikovLWDinamo459312
10.Sergei BabinovDCSKA363123
11.Alexander YakushevLWSpartak24630
12.Alexander SkvortsovLWGorky12303
13.Vladimir MyshkinGKrylia Sovetov12060
14.Viktor ZhluktovCCSKA12036
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I thought I´d just take a look and write here what based on my understanding is full 1979 'Soviet Player of the Year' voting results extracted from ´79 Izvestia voting as sourced by seventieslord in this post.

1978-1979 (578 voters)

#Player:Pos:Team:Pts:1st:2nd:3rd:
1.Boris MikhailovRWCSKA4351202721
2.Valeri VasilyevDDinamo345486669
3.Valeri KharlamovLWCSKA30084216
4.Sergei MakarovRWCSKA279484545
5.Vladislav TretiakGCSKA189244233
6.Vladimir PetrovCCSKA129152730
7.Zinetula BilyaletdinovDDinamo486912
8.Sergei KapustinLWCSKA486618
9.Alexander GolikovLWDinamo459312
10.Sergei BabinovDCSKA363123
11.Alexander YakushevLWSpartak24630
12.Alexander SkvortsovLWGorky12303
13.Vladimir MyshkinGKrylia Sovetov12060
14.Viktor ZhluktovCCSKA12036
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thanks, that's a nice addition. Considering what Yuri Tsybanev wrote about Makarov's domestic season, the outcome might have been a little different if only the Soviet voters were polled. But then, the gap to #4 is pretty big, so who knows. Maybe his exploits in the Challenge Cup and the World Championship would have earned him the 4th place regardless.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I wonder if the SPOTY voters got some guidance/instructions (from the powers that be) about what to emphasize, international or domestic play, or that it should be "50-50", or did they have free(ish) hands in that regard...

Sometimes it's easy to think that the international play would have mattered more, e.g. since CSKA was so dominating domestically, especially in the 1980s, but it's clear that the Soviet league play did have weight. Thus no votes for Shepelev in 1982, Larionov the winner in 1988 etc

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
1981: Tretyak won and Yuri Tsybanyov did the laudatory write-up. It's not very intersting throughout. You get the impression that the Soviet journalists were running out of idea what to say about Tretyak beyond the usual canticles on his character, work attitude, etc. Only a few points strike me as noteworthy:
  • Tsybanyov says Tretyak's last season (1979-1980) was "not exactly successful" and that it had triggered speculation whether he, turning 28, was beginning to decline. The 1980-1981 season proved otherwise.
  • Tretyak had to (and managed to) overcome an injury during the 1980-1981 season – his first injury in 12 years, which highlights his durability.
  • Tsybanyov spotted a "novelty" in Tretyak's game in 1980-1981: shots that came his way were not always caught – and not because he let them through or gave up rebounds. Instead he cleared and deflected them out of the danger zone in a controlled manner, making life easier for his skating teammates. He did that even on strong shots by the opponents, Tsybanyov says.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
1982: Футбол Хоккей collected statements on Vyacheslav Fetisov by five former defensive greats: Vladimir Lutchenko, Gennadi Tsygankov, Alexander Ragulin, Eduard Ivanov and Ivan Tregubov.

Gennadi Tsygankov:

"He appeared on our team after the 1976 Olympics and we formed a pairing together at the start of the 1976-1977 season, playing with the famous Petrov troika. Fetisov came across like an observant guy, he quickly absorbed everything his coaches and partners revealed to him. And if he is called the model of a modern defenceman today, then I would explain this to a large extent by the fact that Fetisov willingly and carefully listened to the avice of our aces Boris Mikhailov, Vladimir Petrov and Valeri Kharlamov, who knew everything in hockey. I think the young defenceman was incredibly lucky: in each match he studied on the ice with those masters, and they deserve credit: their young partner already tried to play in a bold and unconvential manner and they treated his mistakes with indulgence.
He's an inventive player and a friendly guy. An athlete with character. Remember how much time he missed because of injuries and illness in early 1979? Fetisov missed the World Championship in Moscow. I know that many did not believe he would return to hockey. And now he's playing again, and how he's playing! His strength, faith in himself, ability to endure and determination helped him to overcome the hardship."
Он появился после Олимпийскийх игр 1976 род, и сезон 1976/77 рода мы начинали вместе, причем играла наша пара со знаменитой первой тройкой Петрова. Фетисов показался нам парнем старательным, он быстров усваивал все то, что открывали ему тренеры и партнеры. И если называют сегодня Вячеслав образцом современного защитника, то в немалой мере объясняю я это тем, что Фетисов охотно и внимательно слушал советы наших асов -- Бориса Михайлова, Владимира Петрова и Валерия Харламова, которые знали в хоккее все. Считаю, что молодму защитнику невероятно повезло: в каждом матче, на льду, учился он у этих мастеров, и они, надо отдать им должное, достаточно снисходительно смотрели на промахи молодого партнера, который уже в то время старался играть смело и нешаблонно.
Самобытный хоккеист и доброжелательный человек. Спортсмен с характером. Помните, сколько времени не мог из-за травм и болезни выходит Вячеслав на лед в начале 1979 года? Фетисов пропустил московский чампионат мира. Знаю, многие не верили, что он вернется в хоккей. А он снова играет, и как играет! Сила волк, вера в себя, умение терпеть и настойчивость помогали ему преодолевать невзгоды судьбы.
Eduard Ivanov:

"Fetisov's game is not only talked about a lot, but sometimes also argued about. At times he's accused of playing in an adventurous manner. I like the way he plays and other definitions seem more fitting to me: proactive, raiding, with an appetite for risk. Without this, there is no modern hockey. The element of surprise and unconventionality are mandatory features of the game. True, such a game is dangerous and risky. You can make a mistake, miscalculate, miss the attacking opponent. And miscalculations on Fetisov's part happen and bother the nerves of Viktor Tikhonov. But, you have to admit, those mistakes of his become more and more rare. And how benefecial his actions are! CSKA is now truly attacking with a whole unit and not just the three forwards. All five hockey players are equally dangerous for the opponent's goal – precisely because Fetisov is prone to raids and to risk.
There's only one advise I would give to my young colleague: rushing forward, don't only take into account the actions of your defensive partner, but also the movements of the center – if he's far away, he will not get back in time in case of an opposing counterattack.
Our senior comrade Alfred Kuchevsky once used to say that defencemen should be able to 'clean up'. Such a game is not very spectacular, it doesn't bring glory, the defenceman isn't catching the eye all that much. But if he really likes hockey, you don't have to convince him of the importance of that rough work. Fetisov not only willingly plays in the attack, but he's just as diligent when it comes to defending in his own end."
Об игре Фетисова не только много говорят, но и порой спорят. Его обвиняют подчас в игровом авантюризме. А мне нгравится манера действий Вячеслава. Мне более верныйми кажутся иные определения: инициатива, поиск, склонность к риску.
Без этого нет современного хоккея. Элемент неожиданности, нестандартности -- обязательная черта игры. В том числе и действий защитника. Да, такая игра опасна, рискованна. Можно ошибиться, просчитаться, упустить нападающего соперника. И у Фетисова случаются просчеты, и он треплет нервы Виктору Васильевичу Тихонову. Но, согласитесь, такие ошибки у Вячеслава все более редки. Зато как полезны его действия! Ведь сейчас у ЦСКА атакует все звено, а не только тройка нападающих. Равно опасны для ворот соперника все пять хоккеистов. Именно потому, что Фетисов склонен к поиску, к риску.
Посоветовал бы молодму коллеге лишь одно. Устремляясь вперед, следить за действиями не только партнера по оборороне, но и за перемещениями своего центрального нападающего: а вдруг он далеко, вдруг не успеет в случае контратаки соперника вернуться назад.
Когда-то наш старший товарищ Альфред Кучевский говаривал, что защитникам надо уметь "подчищать". Такая игра не слишком эффектна, славы она не приности, защитник не оборенне заметен на поле, но если любит он хоккей по-настоящему, то убеждать его в важности "черновой" работы не приходится. Фетисов не только охотно играет впереди, но и столь же старательно защищает ближайшие подступы к собственным воротам...
Alexander Ragulin:

"His strengths are his splendid thinking of the game, his excellent physical training and his dangerous and powerful shots.
Vyacheslav, it seems to me, has quickly overcome his growing pains. If earlier he was too keen to join the attack and, while rushing forward, sometimes lost the right balance, he seems to have found a middle ground: he attacks without forgetting that he is a defenceman and defends without forgetting about helping the forwards and initiating the attack.
The strongest defencemen of the current time – not only Fetisov, but also his partner Alexei Kasatonov as well as other leading defencemen of CSKA and Dinamo Moscow – have probably exceeded us. They have learned to do everything a little faster than the defencemen managed to do ten years ago. (...) I think Fetisov has not yet exhausted the growth opportunities."
Его достоинства -- прекрасное игровое мышление, отличная физическая подготовка, опаснейшие мощные броски. Вячеслав, как мне кажется, довольно быстров преодолевает «болезни» роста. И если раньше он слишком увлекался атакующими дествиямы, порой терял, устремляясь вперед, к воротам соперника, чувство меры, то теперь, судя по всему, судя по всему, нашел «золотую середину»: атакует, не забывая, что он -- защитник, и защищается, не забывая о помощи нападающим, о начале атаки.
Наверное, нынешние сильнейшние защитники -- не только Фетисов, но и его партнер Алексей Касатонов, как и другие ведущие защитники ЦСКА и «Динамо», пошли в чемто дальше нас. Они научились все делать чуточку быстрее, чем удавалось это игрокам обороны лет десять назад. (...) Думаю, что Фетисов еще далеко не исчерпал возможностей роста.
Ivan Tregubov:

"Fetisov's game is worthy of those kind words that have been said and written about him recently. Hes' a modern defenceman of the highest standard. The colossal volume of his work is amazing. He is a mature master, despite of his youth. A great master. A versatile player. A real leader of the team."
Игра Фетисова достойна тех добрых слов, которые были сказаны и написаны о Вячеславе в последнее время. Совремнный защитник -- по самым высоким меркам. Поражает колоссальный объем его работы. Это спелый, несмотря на свою молодость, мастер. Большой мастер. Разностороннкий хоккеист. Настоящий лидер команды.
Vladimir Lutchenko:

"I agree with the opinion of the journalists: Fetisov was excellent last seasons. In the Canada Cup, in the domestic championship and at the World Championship. When you talk about him, you certainly have to say that nature has endowed him generously, that his courage is impressive, that he has a good technical education and excellent orientation on the ice, and finally that he has a great first pass and an accurate strong shot. But more important, significantly more important is another virtue. Just like his partners on the first line of CSKA and the national team, in particular Sergei Makarov, Fetisov is a leader who knows how to guide his comrades in difficult times and how to take over the game. As it happened, our Army team has become the youngest team in the elite league by the average age of the players. The veterans who had been the recognized leaders of the team for many years all left at almost the same time. There are not players left who are over 30. Someone had to take the heavy burden on their shoulders: the right and duty to lead the team. The first unit coped with that most difficult role in sports. And largely because of the shrewed and smart behaviour of Fetisov. Not only in the games. Also in training."
Согласен с мнением журналистов: Фетисов превосходно сыграл в минувшем сезоне. И в Кубке Канады, и в матчах всесоюзного первенства, и на чемпионате мира. Говоря о Вячеславе, нужно непременно сказать, что он щедро одарен природой, что он поражает своим мужеством, что у него хорошая техническая подготовка, отличная ориентировка на поле, что у него, наконец, великолепный первый пас и точный сильный бросок.
Но важнее, существенно важнее, другое достоинство Вячеслава. Так же, как и его партнеры по первому звену ЦСКА и сборной, так же, в частности, каки Сергей Макаров, Фетисов — лидер, который умеет в трудную минуту повести за собой товарищей, взять игру на себя. Так уж случилось, что наша армейская команда стала по среднему возрасту игроков самой молодой в высшей лиге. Практически одновременно ушли из команды ветераны, многие годы бывшие лидерами коллектива, его признанными вожаками. В ЦСКА не осталось игроков, которым «за тридцать». И кто-то должен был принять на свои плечи нелегкую ношу — право и обязанность повести за собой команду. Первая пятерка справилась, по моим представлениям, с этой, самой трудной в спорте, ролью. И во многом потому, что умело и умно действовал Фетисов. Не только в матчах. И на тренировках.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
1983: Tretyak won the poll again and since the Soviets had run out of ideas what to say about him by 1981, it didn't get better two years later. Футбол Хоккей let Anatoli Tarasov write the laudatory piece and the raving about Tretyak's attitude and performances is getting rather tiresome. The few interesting points:
  • "About two years ago, when the national team returned from Canada after difficult games" (referring to the 1981 Canada Cup, I assume), Tarasov had a disagreement with Tretyak. The goaltender was complaining that the defencemen "did not always play carefully" and that their unsteady game had allowed the Canadians to create scoring chances. Tarasov countered: he thought Tikhonov was wise to transfer "part of the functions of the defencemen" to Tretyak.
  • Tarasov says that Tretyak's abilities created a "margin of safety" for the Soviets team, allowing them "to take measured risks and to take risks in many ways." Examples Tarasov gives: it allowed the coaches to "expand the offensive functions of the defencemen, which you see in the example of Kasatonov and Fetisov", and it also allowed them to "remove part of the defensive duties of the forwards", enabling the unit "to defend with small forces".
  • Tarasov: "I don't like a defensive system where the goaltender stands idle behind a concrete wall of defensive bulwarks." He says such a defence would not include "unpleasant surprises" for the opponent and it would rob the goaltender of his practice and development.

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
1981: Tretyak won and Yuri Tsybanev did the laudatory write-up. It's not very intersting throughout. You get the impression that the Soviet journalists were running out of idea what to say about Tretyak beyond the usual canticles on his character, work attitude, etc. Only a few points strike me as noteworthy:
  • Tsybanev says Tretyak's last season (1979-1980) was "not exactly successful" and that it had triggered speculation whether he, turning 28, was beginning to decline. The 1980-1981 season proved otherwise.
  • Tretyak had to (and managed to) overcome an injury during the 1980-1981 season – his first injury in 12 years, which highlights his durability.
  • Tsybanev spotted a "novelty" in Tretyak's game in 1980-1981: shots that came his way were not always caught – and not because he let them through or gave up rebounds. Instead he cleared and deflected them out of the danger zone in a controlled manner, making life easier for his skating teammates. He did that even on strong shots by the opponents, Tsybanev says.

1983: Tretyak won the poll again and since the Soviets had run out of ideas what to say about him by 1981, it didn't get better two years later. Футбол Хоккей let Anatoli Tarasov write the laudatory piece and the raving about Tretyak's attitude and performances is getting rather tiresome. The few interesting points:
  • "About two years ago, when the national team returned from Canada after difficult games" (referring to the 1981 Canada Cup, I assume), Tarasov had a disagreement with Tretyak. The goaltender was complaining that the defencemen "did not always play carefully" and that their unsteady game had allowed the Canadians to create scoring chances. Tarasov countered: he thought Tikhonov was wise to transfer "part of the functions of the defencemen" to Tretyak.
  • Tarasov says that Tretyak's abilities created a "margin of safety" for the Soviets team, allowing them "to take measured risks and to take risks in many ways." Examples Tarasov gives: it allowed the coaches to "expand the offensive functions of the defencemen, which you see in the exmaple of Kasatonov and Fetisov", and it also allowed them to "remove part of the defensive duties of the forwards", enabling the unit "to defend with small forces".
  • Tarasov: "I don't like a defensive system where the goaltender stands idle behind a concrete wall of defensive bulwarks." He says such a defence would not include "unpleasant surprises" for the opponent and it would rob the goaltender of his practice and development.

Thank you for these updates!

These Tretiak posts are actually quite informative. It appears to confirm my belief that Tretiak kept polishing his game way into his early 30s. After his 1980 down-season, he developed stronger rebound control (1981) and better d-zone cooperation with Soviet defensemen (1983).

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thank you for these updates!

These Tretiak posts are actually quite informative. It appears to confirm my belief that Tretiak kept polishing his game way into his early 30s. After his 1980 down-season, he developed stronger rebound control (1981) and better d-zone cooperation with Soviet defensemen (1983).

You're right, those bits of information are very valuable. It's just that they're tiny islands in a sea of repetitive phrases.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
1984: Boris Levin interviewed Nikolai Drozdetsky.

On playing defence in his junior time (as already mentioned by @Sentinel in an earlier post):

"For one and a half season with SKA Leningrad, when they were lacking defencemen. I guess I was chosen because of my size. I even played for the junior national team in France [1975 European U19 Championship] together with Fetisov."
Полтора сезона в ленинградском СКА, когда был дефицит на защитников. Меня скорее выбрали из-за физических данных. Я даже за сборную юниоров во Франции играл в защите в паре с Фетисовым.

On failure analysis at CSKA Moscow:

"Tikhonov, his assistants Moiseyev and Kuzkin and our spare players will take note of dozens of seemingly invisible errors, which will then be sorted out using a video cassette recorder. A detailed analysis of the game takes place. And in the case of defeat, everyone is looking for his own mistakes, everyone has one question: what is it that I have not done to win? Putting the blame on other players is forbidden. It is like a law."
Тихонов, Моисеев, Кузькин, наши запасные возьмут на заметку десятки, казалось бы невидимых ошибок, которые затем будут разобраны с помощью — видеомагнитофона. Происходит — детальнейший анализ игры. Ну, а в случае поражения каждый ищет свою ошибку, каждого гложет вопрос: чего не сделал для победы я? Сваливать на другого — запрещенный прием. Это как закон.

On not playing on a permanent line:

"I guess it would be nice to play constantly with partners who are stronger than me. It ensures your development. I played with Kharlamov and Petrov in several matches and every time I went out on the ice with them it added something to my game. Recently, Viktor Tikhonov put me with Sergei Nemchinov and Alexei Salomatin. They have a future. And I will be happy if, after a couple of years, they say I helped their development."
Хорошо бы, наверное, играть постоянно с партнерами, которые сильнее меня, тогда рост обеспечен. Несколько матчей я играл с Харламовым и Петровым. И кажлдый выход с ними на лед что-то прибавлял моей игре. А недавно Виктор Васильевич объединил меня с Немчиновым и Саломатиным. У них есть будущее. И я буду счастлив, если через пару лет Сергей или Алексей скажет, что я помог его становлению.

On his trademark move:

Drozdetsky: "Having received the puck, I rush around the goal very closely and with speed. The defencemen [on the outside track] has to cover a greater distance and therefore needs more time. A sharp turn in front of the goal and then I either shoot or pass to a free partner."
Получив шайбу, на скорости мчусь за ворота буквально впритирку к ним. Опекуну приходится преодолеть большее расстояние, а значит, и потратить больше времени. Резкий разворот перед воротами, затем — бросок или передача свободному партнеру.

On playing better in 1983-1984 than in any prior season:

"I played at my usual skill level, but I invested much more mental strength and passion than before. To be honest, it all began in the previous season when Viktor Tikhonov didn't take me to the 1983 World Championship. The coach taught me a hard lesson: he made it clear that the team could do without me. Many thought I wouldn't return to the national team. It worried and tortured me and I promised myself: I will prove my strength and get into the team again."
Играл на уровне своих возможностей, но вот душевных сил, страсти вкладывал значительно больше, чем прежде. Если быть откровенным, то прошедший сезон для меня начался в сезоне предыдущем, — тогда, когда Виктор Васильевич Тихонов не включил меня в сборную на чемпионат мира. Тренер преподал мне жесткий урок, дал понять, что сборная обойдеться без меня. Многие тогда считали, что Дроздецкому возврата в сборную нет. Я переживал, мучился и пообещал сам себе: докажу свою силу и в сборную попаду.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
1985: Leonid Reizer wrote about Sergei Makarov. Some excerpts:

On his consistency:

"His quality is also evident in the fact that there are no distinct ups and downs in his game. Even when the situation appears to allow some rest."
Высокий полет прослеживается и в том, что Макарову не свойственны заметные перепады в игре. Даже когда обстановка вроде бы и позволяет некоторый роздых.
However, this wasn't meant to say that Makarov could not "up" his game against strong opponents or in situations we would call clutch situations:

"It is also significant that, with the national team, Sergei tends to look the more dangerous the more of a threat the opponent poses."
Весомо и то, что в форме сборной Сергей, как правило, выглядит тем опаснее, чем большую угрозу представляет соперник.
Unsurprisingly, most of Reizer's observations focus on Makarov's stickhandling and movement:

"His exquisite mastery does not fail him: his eyes notice the smallest unevenness in the defence, his hands are nimble and respond quickly and his head remains cool in a hot mess. (...) He's so quick to pick up speed and cunning to choose a path that the opponent involuntarily finds himself left flat-footed. (...) Sergei is so skilled in stickhandling that he prefers to cut through defences seamlessly clean. The defencemen don't have time to play the body or get a stick in the way."
Ювелирное мастерство не подводит его: глаза по-прежнему подмечают мельчайшие шероховатости в оборонительных построениях, руки проворны и чувствительны, голова холодная и в жаркой кутерьме. (...) Настолько быстро набирает тот ход и умело выбирает маршрут, что соперник невольно и обреченно оказывается в состоянии покоя. (...) Сергей настолько искусен в обводке, что предпочитает рассекать оборонительные порядки безукоризненно чисто. Защитники не успевают ни в корпус сыграть, ни клюшкой помешеть.
Reizer draws a comparison between Makarov and Valeri Kharlamov:

"Kharlamov's stickhandling was the very embodiment of an irregular rhythm. His legs could get going with one whirl while the hands were working at a completely different pace. Deceptive signs of the body and even a fleeting glance created riddles for the defencemen. Makarov's runs are smoother and longer, he combines the inevitable speed with a gentle handling of the puck that gives the impression of ease and grace (...). It just seems to me that the range of faces Valeri showed in the game was wider. But that would be up for discussion. And it's also possible that Makarov is still improving."
Харламовская была само воплощение аритмии, когда ноги могли включаться на одни «обороты», а ручная работа велась в совершенно другом темпе, ложные показы корпусом и даже мимолетно брошенный взгляд добавляли загадок опекунам. Макаровские проходы плавнее и протяжнее, здесь завидные скорости сочетаются с мягким обращением с шайбой, от чего веет легкостью и изяществом (...). Только кажется мне, что диапазон игровых обличий у Валерия был пошире. Впрочем, тоже повод для обсуждения. И к возможному — приросту макаровской силы.
Another interesting observation: Reizer says that in his opinion Makarov was clearly the best Soviet forward of the first half of the 1980s – but that, according to his observations, opposing defencemen tended to rate forwards with a physical "punch" higher and thought that Vladimir Krutov created "a little more trouble" for them.

Reactions: Sentinel

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
1986: Fetisov won for the second time and Leonid Reizer pinned a write-up about him. A few interesting sentences (some interesting because they hint at potential or actual criticism towards Fetisov):

1) Fetisov had to "pass through skepticism" and "defend the right to his interpretation of hockey for a long time".
Право на свое толкование хоккея и свое его воплощение пришлось ему отстаивать долго и упорно, пройдя и через скепсис наставников юной поросли (...).

2) "Stealing the puck, covering an opponent or bodychecking him, making the first pass or some other pass, stickhandling, skating backwards, shooting, etc: there is no challenge in the game that he is not able to get out of with honour. But there is no game without errors – if you think about it, it wouldn't be natural, and for a hockey player who is looking for the best move in every single episode on the ice, it is fundamentally impossible."
Отбор, страховка или силовая стычка, пас первый или какой иной, дриблинг, катание спиной вперед, броски... Нет игровых передряг, в которых не побывал, и по силам ему из любой выбраться с честью. Нет игровой беэзгрешности — она, ежели рассудить, и не оченьто естественна, а для хоккеиста, в любом микроэпизоде ищущего наилучший ход, и в принципе невозможна.

3) Reizer recalls a situation from the 1986 World Championship (in the last game, he says). Fetisov was carrying the puck in tight space and looking for someone to pass to. Instead he lost the puck and a goal against the Soviet team was scored. Reizer: "The fault is undeniable and beyond doubt. (...) I would have shot the puck as far away as possible, in the fever of the game this is done everywhere. However, this saving action goes contrary to his nature: it's not economical to part with what has been obtained through joint efforts: the most precious control of the puck."
Вина бесспорна и сомнениям не подлежит. (...) Выбросил бы шайбу куда подальше, в хоккейной горячке поступают так повсеместно. Сия спасительная акция, однако, претит его натуре: не по-хозяйски это — расставаться с тем, что совместными усилиями добыто, контроль над шайбой всего дороже.

4) On Fetisov scoring a lot due to leaving his position on defence and jumping ahead: "What is the logic here? His intuition. The intuition of a person eager to read the game and thus often unexpectedly (even for himself) able to jump to the next line without finishing the previous one."
Какая уж тут логика — одна интуиция. Интуиция человека, взахлеб зачитывающегося игрой и оттого зачастую нежданно и для самого себя могущего перескочить на следующую строку, не закончив предыдущей.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->