OT: Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
This is why I love the soccer atmosphere! I was watching a Celtic game yesterday, and boy, can the Irish ever sing. ;)

Very disappointed in the Canucks and Rogers Arena. If you want people to "Make Some Noise" (TM), then actually let people MAKE SOME NOISE.

I hate it when people compare soccer fans to hockey fans. :laugh: Ya maybe fans should toss bricks and fire crackers at the opposing goalies and yell racial slurrs to all the Europeans. Than trash ***** after the game. Ya let's have a soccer atmosphere.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
THIS! :laugh:

Celtic F.C are based in Glasgow, Scotland. Ever heard of the Celtic/Rangers rivalry? Their rivalry (among others) is due to the fact that they both reside in Glasgow with the Celts representing the catholic side & the Rangers being the protestant side. I suggest you look it up.

Meh, no idea then. My dad was watching the game yesterday, and I decided to join in. ;)

Great atmosphere nonetheless!

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I hate it when people compare soccer fans to hockey fans. :laugh: Ya maybe fans should toss bricks and fire crackers at the opposing goalies and yell racial slurrs to all the Europeans. Than trash ***** after the game. Ya let's have a soccer atmosphere.

Just because there are bad parts to a certain group of fans doesn't mean we can't take the good parts and incorporate them into how we cheer and celebrate hockey...

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure it's a variety of factors that has contributed to Rogers Arena becoming morgue-like, but from personal experience, I have a tough time keeping adrenaline levels up when Rihanna and "Clap Your Hands" are go-to music choices.

I find it funny that the Canucks want to curate a family atmosphere when their ticket prices exclude all but the wealthiest of families on most nights.

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon

I believe there is some middle ground between library and all out riot. I was at the game no Saturday night and told by the elderly couple in front to please be a little more quiet, at first I was a little shocked (ITS A HOCKEY GAME!), but then I just quieted down because the rest of the rink was anyway...this whole thing won't change any time soon, Canucks games have become like a freakin' play - just watch and quietly clap at the end. Much prefer going to WhiteCaps games.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Its a totally different atmosphere.

To put it into perspective i went to a scotland ireland friendly (exhibition) game at Hamden Park in Glasgow. I decided to support Ireland and had a flag and my Irish rugby top. Only to find out our seats were in the "wrong" section. Row upon row of feather caps.

I was drunk and thought **** it and waved my flag and cheered despite my scottish friends telling me not to. A young guy eventually came down and said "me and my friends dont like you waving that flag around here". Imagine going to a team canada vs US exhibition game and that happening.

When i lived in Edinburgh which is relatively "peaceful" youd regularly see signs on the outside of pubs saying "no football colours" ie no jerseys. Imagine not being able to where your canucks jersey out.

**** even here in the middle esst they have separate celtic or rangers bars.

Johnny Tightlips

Apr 24, 2012

What a irational viewpoint. Who wants to be like hockey fans with the riots and all right? You see what I did there.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Just because there are bad parts to a certain group of fans doesn't mean we can't take the good parts and incorporate them into how we cheer and celebrate hockey...

I just find it amusing. I hear it all the time from my nerdy soccer fan friends. "Soccer fans are way better"... "Way better atmosphere" Ya well, they're two different sports. One is not like the other. One has massive lulls in the play were standing and cheering should be encouraged. You'd fall asleep otherwise. Hockey, there's so many intricate details that go on and if your paying $120 for two and a half hours, you obviously wanna get your moneys worth and see all that there is to see. It'd be a lot better atmosphere with better music and if they cheered louder for a good break up or a good pk or a good goal but that comes with the territory of having super expensive tickets and living in a reserved and shy culture. Also, the Canucks cater to the family not the drunk mouthpieces(which I like by the way)

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Here's an idea: partner up with a variety of sponsors and offer a graduated level of discounts/freebies if the crowd keeps the decibel level above a certain average throughout the course of the game. People do crazy things for free ****.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
There is ZERO atmosphere at Canuck games. I have a better time watching at a bar or at home. If the Aqualini's want to create a business/family environment for financial reasons, then I am totally alright with that. They deserve to line their pockets as long as they field a contender year after year.

linden79

May 13, 2011
I'm not sure what to say to people who are so distracted by cheering that they can't follow the play.

Incredible.

Here's an idea: partner up with a variety of sponsors and offer a graduated level of discounts/freebies if the crowd keeps the decibel level above a certain average throughout the course of the game. People do crazy things for free ****.

I love this idea.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
What a irational viewpoint. Who wants to be like hockey fans with the riots and all right? You see what I did there.

If you are referring to football ouside of north america then id say youre wrong.

There are massive problems in europe with football as has been well documented not to mention south america, turkey and very recently egypt.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I just find it amusing. I hear it all the time from my nerdy soccer fan friends. "Soccer fans are way better"... "Way better atmosphere" Ya well, they're two different sports. One is not like the other. One has massive lulls in the play were standing and cheering should be encouraged. You'd fall asleep otherwise. Hockey, there's so many intricate details that go on and if your paying $120 for two and a half hours, you obviously wanna get your moneys worth and see all that there is to see. It'd be a lot better atmosphere with better music and if they cheered louder for a good break up or a good pk or a good goal but that comes with the territory of having super expensive tickets and living in a reserved and shy culture. Also, the Canucks cater to the family not the drunk mouthpieces(which I like by the way)

:laugh:

:laugh: Ya two riots after championship losses from the scum of our society. Everyday there's a new "riot" in a soccer stadium.

Right, every stadium in England burned down over the weekend. Looting and car flipping everywhere. Not saying there aren't problems. Lonny pointed it out already. However, don't paint football fans with the same brush but make it very clear that the Cup rioters are scum of society.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
From what I've seen, the Southsiders are into a bit of fun, but they're also image-conscious. Any behaviour that would shed a negative light on the group would be discouraged by the majority of the membership.

What's with a group of fans having their own name? Just go to games and cheer.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I can honestly say I don't care. Does that make me a bad person? I like both the Canucks and Whitecaps, but clearly these people wouldn't have been treated 'horribly' if they hadn't done something wrong.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ross County have incredibly PC chants such as:

"Ole, ole ole ole,
Coun-tay
Coun-tay"

"Ooh to
Ooh to be
Ooh to be a
Staggie!"

I think we've stopped this year, but last year a rival manager said (quite wrongly) that we were just a long ball team. So we started to chant:

"We play the long ball!
We play the long baaaalllll!
We are Ross County
We play the long ball!"

Whenever there was a long ball during the game. Usually only two or three times, but it always made me laugh.

Or if we're playing Inverness Caley Thistle:

They come from down the Ferry
Their dirty and their smelly
They haven't got a telly
The Caley family.

That's probably the only one that isn't about spousal abuse or comparing someone to a horse's behind.

Oh, and ex-England player Terry Butcher is the current Inverness manager:

You put your right arm in,
Your right arm out,
In out, in out,
Shake it all about,
You do the Marradonna and you turn around,
Thats what it's all about,
Ohh Diego Maradonna,
Ohh Diego Maradonna,
Ohh Diego Maradonna,
He put the Butcher out, out, out

So....yeah. There's plenty of scope for hockey chants that don't include swearing. The best are topical, or based around whatever is on the radio just now.

And I hardly think we should be talking with derision about rioting.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
One of the reasons (amongst others) that I don't go to regular season games anymore is because the crowd is so dead. It just gets so boring that I have a lot more fun watching the game at home or at a bar. The lower bowl in particular is a complete library.

It also annoys me to no end when you see all these people getting up and leaving with 5 minutes left in the game. It's like going to a movie and leaving before it ends. Completely stupid if you ask me.

linden79

May 13, 2011
What's with a group of fans having their own name? Just go to games and cheer.

They organize where they sit so they can get a mass of cheering together, and plan the cheers ahead of time. Once they get more complicated than "Go Canucks, Go," cheers don't just pop out of thin air.

I have more fun staying at home listening to Sportsnet than I do at a game, and I save a whole ton of cash. There is zero atmosphere at Nucks games. Not everyone has to go mental all game long like the Southsiders, but if the crowd would give half of that effort, it would be awesome.

Right now, Canucks fans ask for the team to perform, but give nothing back. There is no 7th man.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Ross County have incredibly PC chants such as:

"Ole, ole ole ole,
Coun-tay
Coun-tay"

"Ooh to
Ooh to be
Ooh to be a
Staggie!"

I think we've stopped this year, but last year a rival manager said (quite wrongly) that we were just a long ball team. So we started to chant:

"We play the long ball!
We play the long baaaalllll!
We are Ross County
We play the long ball!"

Whenever there was a long ball during the game. Usually only two or three times, but it always made me laugh.

Or if we're playing Caley Thistle:

They come from down the Ferry
Their dirty and their smelly
They haven't got a telly
The Caley family.

That's probably the only one that isn't about spousal abuse or comparing someone to a horse's behind.

Oh, and ex-England player Terry Butcher is the current Inverness manager:

You put your right arm in,
Your right arm out,
In out, in out,
Shake it all about,
You do the Marradonna and you turn around,
Thats what it's all about,
Ohh Diego Maradonna,
Ohh Diego Maradonna,
Ohh Diego Maradonna,
He put the Butcher out, out, out

So....yeah. There's plenty of scope for hockey chants that don't include swearing. The best are topical, or based around whatever is on the radio just now.

And I hardly think we should be talking with derision about rioting.

Oh fair scotland. Land of the PC.

I imagine you have to hit the p blank blank blank shop afterwards for an Irn Bru to refresh after all those chants. :laugh:

Pascha

Feb 24, 2004
Sea to Sky country
I thought the Southsiders were great. They even came prepared with some Canucks songs!

"We all dream of a team of Sedins" (to the tune of Yellow Submarine)

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Oh fair scotland. Land of the PC.

I imagine you have to hit the p blank blank blank shop afterwards for an Irn Bru to refresh after all those chants. :laugh:

Yeah, we're the farmers from the north. Imagine how people from Texas were portrayed in WW2 films. Except instead of "Yes please ma'am", it would be more like "Fair doos koff!"

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
As long as they sell out the games and reinvest the money back in the team i do not care what the atmosphere is like. I watch the games at home anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad