Southerners Visiting Edmonton: Help Needed!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
lol at the guy throwing money on the ground.

I hate the snooty types. Yes you might be wearing $5000 worth of clothes and accessories on you but you still look like a d-bag staring at everyone that walks by like they personally insulted you.

Those types are the worst, spend probaly $400 that night on bottles/ clothes whatever, but people could have 10X the fun and spend $40. I guess when you got the money you can choose what to blow it on. Unfortuntely some former Oilers prospects used to frequent that place

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That train looks awful damn old. I'm sure it would beat driving, especially for someone who isn't familiar with the route and unused to winter driving Canada style, but that looks like a train from the 1970s.

The VIA does 90MPH on that section of track IIRC. They also don't take the siding so no waits. It'd be a nice way to get to the mountains.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
The Buckingham on Whyte is a place I would recommend. It's very chill. Music ranges from Johnny Cash to MGMT. I have never heard any rap or R&B. Perhaps the old hip hop track thrown in here and there. I have never witnessed any altercations inside or outside. It gets very crowded. Not too many 18-24 year olds like you would normally find on Whyte Ave. It's mostly 25-33.

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Today's the day, boys!

If any of y'all are heading to Rexall tonight, shoot me a PM. We'll be down there around 5:30 to drink some beers and get some food before the game.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Today's the day, boys!

If any of y'all are heading to Rexall tonight, shoot me a PM. We'll be down there around 5:30 to drink some beers and get some food before the game.

Have fun at the game tonight and all the other plans you're making. One thing iss for sure though, we've had beautiful weather so far, so driving shouldn't be much of an issue at all.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Have fun at the game tonight and all the other plans you're making. One thing iss for sure though, we've had beautiful weather so far, so driving shouldn't be much of an issue at all.

i'm still not sure i would advise driving to jasper if you've never driven on winter roads... the roads in the rockies will NOT be like they are in edmonton, and if these guys are all from down south, they won't have any winter driving experience

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Enjoy the game guys. Hopefully the boys can pull out the win for you.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
i'm still not sure i would advise driving to jasper if you've never driven on winter roads... the roads in the rockies will NOT be like they are in edmonton, and if these guys are all from down south, they won't have any winter driving experience

I agree. I was talking locally here in Edmonton. Jasper/Banff will be a whole other story for sure.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Today's the day, boys!

It's a bit of a dump, but enjoy the atmosphere. Too bad McD isn't around.

I'm not in Edmonton, but are outdoor rinks even open yet? Early December seems too soon.

Edmonton is a decent city (it gets crapped on way too much), but 4 days in December might be too much to really keep yourself entertained. Jasper is a good call, and the train is the way to go. Don't be driving in the snowy mountains if you're not used to it. Plus the train is a great way to travel.

Hopefully it's a decent game for you. :thumbu:

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
We are going out on Whyte tonight, then waking up at 5:30 to head to Banff. Everyone I've talked to said that was an absolute "must."

We rented a car. Contrary to popular belief, folks in the south have to drive in the ice almost annually. We don't have room in the budget for proper road maintenance during the winter, and the 1-2 times a year we get ice or snow, it stays around a while.

Will proceed with caution. We're sitting row 18 behind Oilers X2 net. If you're around, come say hello! (Hint: we'll be the ones in the green and white dallas jerseys ;) )

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We are going out on Whyte tonight, then waking up at 5:30 to head to Banff. Everyone I've talked to said that was an absolute "must."

We rented a car. Contrary to popular belief, folks in the south have to drive in the ice almost annually. We don't have room in the budget for proper road maintenance during the winter, and the 1-2 times a year we get ice or snow, it stays around a while.

Will proceed with caution. We're sitting row 18 behind Oilers X2 net. If you're around, come say hello! (Hint: we'll be the ones in the green and white dallas jerseys ;) )

Snow, Ice PLUS Mountainous terrain is a whole other element than driving relative flatland that is occasionally icy. A WHOLE OTHER THING.

This can't be emphasized enough. You could be out of your element.

On the Coquihalla in BC for instance and any other mountain highway there winter tires and or chains and extensive experience driving in such terrain/conditions are a MUST.

The Mountain Parks have been getting a lot of snow. Road conditions there can be unpredictable.

Plus these warmer than usual conditions offer the threat of freezing rain which create the absolute worst conditions. Varied reports on whether freezing rain will occur in Banff on Monday or Wednesday. Conditions are ripe for it.

Best bet is travel day time when temps are at peak and road conditions less icy. Also of course maximum visibility on what conditions are.

Travel safe.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Looks like you got fortunate with the weather. Sun and temperatures above freezing, so the roads shouldn't be a nightmare. Still, be careful in the mountains.

Enjoy Banff though. Amazing place. And get out of the town too - go to nearby Moraine Lake and Lake Louise (Moraine is better though).

The drive is about as boring as possible until you get near Calgary. Don't party too hard tonight and fall asleep (seriously, there's nothing endearing about 90% of that drive).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Nice decision. Might be a doable night to walk around whyte ave after the game and check out different bars. Although Id recommend keeping it relatively low key and have no hang over for tomorrow. If you are saying the night in Banff, must, must check out the Dancing Sasquatch. It will be crazy this time of year and a great party spot. Make sure to get a time machine (2 shots and a full monster energy drink)

If you like live music, Wild Bills is a great spot too. Aurora is the club type of bar there

If you arent going for the night (just a day trip) Ill concede Jasper is a smarter choice. Its closer and roads are better (and views are just as nice). Banff have better nightlife though and its touristy so you can knock it off the bucket list.

Other recommendations: Go to Petes Drive Inn if you pass thru Calgary. Its on the way to Banff. Its a local tradition road trip stop and pretty good

And dont pay the one armed push up man money on Whyte. He cheats

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Looks like you got fortunate with the weather. Sun and temperatures above freezing, so the roads shouldn't be a nightmare. Still, be careful in the mountains.

Enjoy Banff though. Amazing place. And get out of the town too - go to nearby Moraine Lake and Lake Louise (Moraine is better though).

The drive is about as boring as possible until you get near Calgary. Don't party too hard tonight and fall asleep (seriously, there's nothing endearing about 90% of that drive).

Actually as we speak theres a freezing rain advisory in Lake Louise area and travel not advised north of there. Lake Minnewanka road (near Banff townsite) also closed due to hazardous conditions. I looked it up.

https://www.amaroadreports.ca/

Just because weather and roads are nice here doesn't mean it is in the mountains and as stated conditions change fast there in a hurry. Banff area OK as we speak but freezing rain in areas is expected. That could change road conditions instantly. Actually the worst time to drive to the mountains is when theres freeze/melt cycles going on.

btw Moraine Lake road is closed during the Winter. The whole winter. Not hard to check either if giving advice;

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/fermetures-closures.aspx

Also snow is expected in Banff area with possible freezing rain/sleet conditions as early as overnight/tomorrow.

Suggest that the Southerner checks conditions overnight before heading out.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Props to this guy for coming back around to let the board know how his trip is going. Don't think I've ever seen that before.
Of course we hope you have to watch the game through a veil of tears, but other than that hope you enjoy your time in Edmonton. :)

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I hope you enjoy your time in Alberta, OP!

Oh and thanks for bringing the nice weather with you. I really appreciate it lol.

If you guys are looking for a good place to eat and hangout after the game, check out:

http://centuryhospitality.com/mkt/

MKT is maybe my favorite place right now. It's about half a block off Whyte Ave. I love their food, and they have an awesome selection of beer. Their staff is also easy on the eyes haha. If you're a fan of Mac n' cheese, theirs is absolutely amazing.

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Just wanted to stop in and say "thanks" for all the suggestions!

Friday when we got in, we drank a few beers on Jasper, and took the train out to Rexall Place. With so many new ultra-nice arenas, the throwback feel of Rexall was very cool. (Did not like the 'lean back in your seat' rule, though.) Our seats were great, the people around us were great, and everyone had a wealth of hockey knowledge. The outcome wasn't what I, or really, anyone else expected, but it was fun nevertheless. Went out on Whyte after the game, which was indeed fun.

The next day, we got up at 5 am on 3 hours sleep, and headed to both Banff, then Lake Louise. Boys, it was the most incredible sight I had ever seen. Was able to play pond hockey for the first time in my life in the shadow of one of the most picturesque locations I have ever been. Went out in Banff afterwards--man, that's a place I will return too for sure.

Overall, it was only a 3 day trip, but I think we did it to the max. Y'all's suggestions were the framework for the trip, so thanks a thousand times over!

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Friday when we got in, we drank a few beers on Jasper, and took the train out to Rexall Place. With so many new ultra-nice arenas, the throwback feel of Rexall was very cool. (Did not like the 'lean back in your seat' rule, though.) Our seats were great, the people around us were great, and everyone had a wealth of hockey knowledge. The outcome wasn't what I, or really, anyone else expected, but it was fun nevertheless. Went out on Whyte after the game, which was indeed fun.

The next day, we got up at 5 am on 3 hours sleep, and headed to both Banff, then Lake Louise. Boys, it was the most incredible sight I had ever seen. Was able to play pond hockey for the first time in my life in the shadow of one of the most picturesque locations I have ever been. Went out in Banff afterwards--man, that's a place I will return too for sure.

Overall, it was only a 3 day trip, but I think we did it to the max. Y'all's suggestions were the framework for the trip, so thanks a thousand times over!

That's the nicest possible way to put it :laugh:

Sounds like you had an amazing trip. I've lived in Edmonton my whole life and I haven't played pond hockey in Lake Louise yet. Jealous.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Kinda jelous. Ive live din Alberta my whole life and played hockey and pond hockey since I could walk. Ive never got the chance or took the effort to play pond hockey on Lake Louise. Even though its a pretty easy day/ weekend trip to do

Glad you guys had a good time. Edmonton has stuff to offer if you look hard enough. But Banff/Jasper is really an experience that is top notch in North America

Hopefully you can make a return in May when the Oilers and Stars are playing in the WCF :naughty: Spring is a nice time there

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

Bolded: I actually LOL'd

Glad you enjoyed the trip!

oiler-dude

I recall you wanting the "Mystery, Alaska" type pond hockey experience. After a bit of research, it seems that was filmed on Lake Louise, so it's quite possible you got the exact experience after all!

Glad you had a great trip, you lucked out with some pretty nice weather for this time of year as well!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Glad you had a great time. The Mountain Parks are gorgeous and you had great weather but make sure to check it out again some time in the summer months when Lake Louise and Moraine Lake are just beyond description with emerald green to Turquoise blue waters. You really lucked out with the weather and driving conditions. A weather system that was threatening kind of did nothing or moved north instead of south.

Anyway so nice for somebody asking information to come back here and let us know how the trip was. That's awesome that you made that effort. Its very rare that happens. :handclap:

I do feel blessed to live in this province. Imagine being able to visit this paradise any weekend.

I like Skating on Lake Louise as well. What a beautiful location. Its even better in January when they have all the ice sculptures out. Also just as an aside once in winter when we went to Lake Louise they had so much snow driving up the Lake Louise road there was snow piled up 10ft high on either side. :amazed: Then from the parking lot to the Chalet the walk was cleared but it was like walking through a tunnel with snow 8ft high on either side. Was kind of neat.

Did you get a look at Banff Springs Hotel as well? Its A Scottish barionial type hotel that like Chateau Lake Louise was one of the original great train hotels when these places were only frequented by well to do train travellers. Banff Springs is one of the biggest Hotels in Canada, looks like a Castle Fortress and is the nicest one I've seen.

Lake Louise area must have been really jumping. They had the World Cup ski circuit events on this past weekend. Good timing on your part except hotel probably cost more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad