Southerners Visiting Edmonton: Help Needed!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Banff is more touristy and has better things to do in the evening, Jasper is more untouched if you're a pure nature person. Both are ridiculously gorgeous. Both are a 4hr drive from Edmonton. Train is fine to Jasper. Car is better for Banff so you can go through Lake Louise as well. If you have the time, the drive from Banff to Jasper through the National Park is widely thought of as one of the more scenic in the world. http://www.hikebiketravel.com/19142/canadas-scenic-drive-banff-jasper-alberta/

The rest of the city questions have pretty much been answered.

Oh and bring warm coats. Alberta can get very cold in December.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Jasper isn't a slouch either, though...
pondhockey.jpg

Is that Nail Yakupov on the far right of the picture beside the tipped over net? Cool!

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Y'all.... absolutely blown away by the suggestions. Thanks for all of the great input. I will heavily consider Jasper or Banff... It's only a 4 day trip, so hopefully we can squeeze those in.

If Alabama is not in the SEC title game, I'll probably just venture out to the mountains early Saturday. Apparently it is worth the drive.

Also are Whyte Avenue (and Jasper) in downtown Edmonton? If not, how far is it from there?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think everything you've asked has been covered. But I'll add one more thing in. Not to rain on the parade but it is possible that when you are here it will be too cold to play outside. Im not too sure how much experience you have with the cold but a nice day in December will be about 14 farenheit and it could easily be below zero.

So if it is too cold I would suggest skating at the Mall (West Edmonton Mall). You can't play shinny but it is definitely worth the experience.

Don't worry too much about the cold affecting the night life. You'll still see people waiting to get into the bar in a T-shirt on Jasper or Whyte.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Y'all.... absolutely blown away by the suggestions. Thanks for all of the great input. I will heavily consider Jasper or Banff... It's only a 4 day trip, so hopefully we can squeeze those in.

If Alabama is not in the SEC title game, I'll probably just venture out to the mountains early Saturday. Apparently it is worth the drive.

Also are Whyte Avenue (and Jasper) in downtown Edmonton? If not, how far is it from there?

Jasper is Downtown, Whyte ave is directly south across the river from downtown. Maybe a ten minute cab ride.

If you can fit it in your schedule to go to the mountains I highly suggest you do it. I've lived in Alberta my whole life and have probably been there 30+ times and it still blows me away.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Jasper ave is downtown. Whyte ave is across the river from downtown. 10-15 minutes from downtown. Whyte ave is nearish the university, so it's a younger crowd in general. Jasper ave is more young professionals.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Jasper or Banff for your Mystery Alaska effect other than that there are many outdoor rinks open to play some pick up hockey. Trains have to be slower than driving as well. Value your time always but decent scenery perhaps.

Any sports pub will have college football playing.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
For going out if you can make the mountains I'd suggest going out after the game and then staying overnight in the mountains and hitting up a few bars there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Jasper or Banff for your Mystery Alaska effect other than that there are many outdoor rinks open to play some pick up hockey. Trains have to be slower than driving as well. Value your time always but decent scenery perhaps.

Any sports pub will have college football playing.

I've taken the train to Jasper countless times. Leaves Edmonton at 7:45 and is in Jasper at 1:00 pm. Try driving it that fast sometime in December. The train through this section of track has a top speed of 150km/hr LEGAL speed. Again try doing that on icy highway.

ps When the train has been behind schedule I've seen them do this trip in 4hrs.

Absolutely the trains offer better scenery and a much more enjoyable way to travel. The train line in several places goes through areas that the highway doesn't.

Also I still have to offer the disclaimer that driving is probably going to be a bad idea at this time for anybody not acquainted with our mountain winter driving conditions. Also not a place where you want to be stranded in cold weather 50miles from anything if you do hit the ditch. Theres long stretches of road that are very isolated on highway 16. Also Jasper to Banff sections on that highway can often be closed for periods during the winter.

Finally, for those answering go to Banff for a shinny mountain experience that Lake Louise is over an hour away from Banff townsite (winter driving conditions) From Edmonton Jasper would be an easier trip. A better highway as well imo.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I haven't read the whole thread, but they are predicting a mild winter for us this year. Its possible that the outdoor rinks might not be ready by the beginning of Dec

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I've taken the train to Jasper countless times. Leaves Edmonton at 7:45 and is in Jasper at 1:00 pm. Try driving it that fast sometime in December. The train through this section of track has a top speed of 150km/hr LEGAL speed. Again try doing that on icy highway.

ps When the train has been behind schedule I've seen them do this trip in 4hrs.

Absolutely the trains offer better scenery and a much more enjoyable way to travel. The train line in several places goes through areas that the highway doesn't.
That train looks awful damn old. I'm sure it would beat driving, especially for someone who isn't familiar with the route and unused to winter driving Canada style, but that looks like a train from the 1970s.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
That train looks awful damn old. I'm sure it would beat driving, especially for someone who isn't familiar with the route and unused to winter driving Canada style, but that looks like a train from the 1970s.

The rolling stock Is Budd build classic cars circa 1950's that have been refurbished multiple times and are considered a classic train car series befitting the Canadian. They were also the same type used on many of the Amtrak classic passenger rail lines. They're solidly built and respected by train fans. Its an ode to classic train travel days and intently they've kept that style stock for the Canadian line given its historic heritage. The dining cars are impeccable, sleeping accommodation reasonable, coach cars are clean because everything is stainless steel. Dome cars are nice as well.

Don't let the look fool you. The Locomotives are also a lot more high powered than people are accustomed to in Canada. They can accelerate like crazy. Canada obviously still isn't in the high speed rail game but the Edmonton to Jasper connection is one of the best speed connections anywhere outside the Eastern corridor lines that Via runs. Via rail also runs different rolling stock on a lot of those lines. We've been on all of them and all the way to Halifax. The wife and I are train nuts. Only section I haven't done is to Churchill on Hudsons bay.

Everytime we take the train we notice its getting more popular again. Which is good to see. This nation was founded on rails and imo the best way to see it coast to coast. Something about that which connects more to the soul of this nation.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The rolling stock Is Budd build classic cars circa 1950's that have been refurbished multiple times and are considered a classic train car series befitting the Canadian. They were also the same type used on many of the Amtrak classic passenger rail lines. They're solidly built and respected by train fans. Its an ode to classic train travel days and intently they've kept that style stock for the Canadian line given its historic heritage. The dining cars are impeccable, sleeping accommodation reasonable, coach cars are clean because everything is stainless steel. Dome cars are nice as well.

Don't let the look fool you. The Locomotives are also a lot more high powered than people are accustomed to in Canada. They can accelerate like crazy. Canada obviously still isn't in the high speed rail game but the Edmonton to Jasper connection is one of the best speed connections anywhere outside the Eastern corridor lines that Via runs. Via rail also runs different rolling stock on a lot of those lines. We've been on all of them and all the way to Halifax. The wife and I are train nuts. Only section I haven't done is to Churchill on Hudsons bay.

Everytime we take the train we notice its getting more popular again. Which is good to see. This nation was founded on rails and imo the best way to see it coast to coast. Something about that which connects more to the soul of this nation.

I guess we know now that Replacement is really Sheldon Cooper.:laugh:

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Any bar in Edmonton would probably show the SEC game all you gotta do is ask. I've asked to watch a bunch of Michigan games in the past and have been lucky to have at least one tv in the bar on a college football game.

West Edmonton Mall is nice. I highly recommend checking out the mountains. Specifically Banff and Lake Louise.

Oct 15, 2008
I wouldnt bother going to the mountains. If you are going to the mountains go to the mountains. If you are coming to Edmonton for hockey do that. The mountains are too far away to do both on a limited time schedule. Unless you want to spend half your trip in a car travelling for hours on icy roads in what could well be dicey weather conditions.

There is plenty to do around Edmonton to keep you entertained and amused. Early December may or may not be too early to partake in outdoor rinks. Participation at those venues has declined quite a bit so you need to find one that will have enough people at it to have a decent game of shinny. Greenfield in Millwoods is usually pretty active for shinny games.

For nightlife maybe one night on whyte ave, one night on Jasper and one night at WEM.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Has anyone actually been to Prive?

I've kind of wanted to go just to see what it's like since it opened but haven't had a chance to.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Has anyone actually been to Prive?

I've kind of wanted to go just to see what it's like since it opened but haven't had a chance to.

I have reluctantly. There is actually a pretty good energy in there. It is definitely more club then bar. Whole place is either a dance floor or vip seating area, save for a 2 or 3 tables to sit. You have bottle service girls carrying bottles with sparklers all the time, dancers dancing on the DJ table. Everyone is dressed up really nice. Crowd is a bit more mature and a bit hostile, but its not sketchy or anything.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Music is really good if you are into dance/ edm music. Former DJ from Hot 107 is there, so basically the music is what youd hear on the Hot mix driving home (remixes and EDM beats)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have reluctantly. There is actually a pretty good energy in there. It is definitely more club then bar. Whole place is either a dance floor or vip seating area, save for a 2 or 3 tables to sit. You have bottle service girls carrying bottles with sparklers all the time, dancers dancing on the DJ table. Everyone is dressed up really nice. Crowd is a bit more mature and a bit hostile, but its not sketchy or anything.

By hostile do you mean acting elite and snooty? I've been to clubs with crowds like that before and I hate it. Can't do anything without getting stared at like you're a hobo.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
By hostile do you mean acting elite and snooty? I've been to clubs with crowds like that before and I hate it. Can't do anything without getting stared at like you're a hobo.

Exactly yup. Guys stand infront of their vip tables and stare, hostile if you try and walk by. I was with a bunch of friends whoa re all laid back so it was a fun time, but I hated the crowd. One guy was actually physically throwing money on the gorund

Not sketchy like some of WEMs old "clubs" where stabbing were a threat, Prive has the most bouncers I have ever seen, 4 when you come in and probaly 8 others elsewhere

But Id only recommend this place if you are really into Vegas style bars and really want that experience (its 1% of Vegas, but most like that in E town)

I recommend Red Star if you want a similar type vibe, but more chill (but still more uptight then crowd at the Pint or those type of bars)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Exactly yup. Guys stand infront of their vip tables and stare, hostile if you try and walk by. I was with a bunch of friends whoa re all laid back so it was a fun time, but I hated the crowd. One guy was actually physically throwing money on the gorund

Not sketchy like some of WEMs old "clubs" where stabbing were a threat, Prive has the most bouncers I have ever seen, 4 when you come in and probaly 8 others elsewhere

But Id only recommend this place if you are really into Vegas style bars and really want that experience (its 1% of Vegas, but most like that in E town)

I recommend Red Star if you want a similar type vibe, but more chill (but still more uptight then crowd at the Pint or those type of bars)

lol at the guy throwing money on the ground.

I hate the snooty types. Yes you might be wearing $5000 worth of clothes and accessories on you but you still look like a d-bag staring at everyone that walks by like they personally insulted you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad