Southerners Visiting Edmonton: Help Needed!

ATL Star

Mar 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hello, Edmonton faithful.

Dropping by here to seek the advice of the natives around Edmonton for a trip I have coming up in a month.

Myself and a few friends are venturing north from the deep south to see the Stars play the Oilers on Friday, December the 4th. Besides the game, there are a few things I would like to see and do while up in Canada, as the chance to visit isn't as frequent as I'd like. Rather than waste y'all's time and banter about internet lists and ideas, I'll just ask a few open ended questions and hope to get some input.

I've always wanted to attend a game in Canada, and make a game in Rexall Place before it closed. Should be fun--thanks in advance for the help!

1) We've never had the chance to play hockey outdoors... ever. On Saturday morning, following the game, is there a place where we could bring our skates and sticks and just play a little pickup? It might seem cliche, but anything with a mountain view would be a bonus. Think "Mystery Alaska," for effect.

2) Later that afternoon, the SEC championship game will be played; is there a good place to watch college football in downtown Edmonton? Moreover, (and this might be a dumb question), is college football broadcast in Canada?

3) What is the nightlife like in Edmonton? In particular, what is a good place to go pre-game and post-game Friday night, and then perhaps venture out Saturday night? We are in our mid-twenties (24-27), if that helps filter the line of thinking.

4) Is there any other good spots to go in Edmonton that are "must-see" for hockey fans? Wouldn't want to miss anything cool while we are up there.

Thanks again for all your help. Really looking forward to the trip, and a good game!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How long is your stay here going to be? This would help with the recommendations, for instance a trip to Jasper and playing a game on beautiful Lac Beauvert with the glorious Rockies in full view.

Edmonton has a Via Rail station and a trip to Jasper takes around 5hrs on the train. Trouble is service each way is only 3 times/week. Costs as little as 80bucks each way on the train as they often have seat sales.

You can't see the mountains from Edmonton ftr. There are plenty of outdoor rinks though in Edmonton and several in nice surroundings and in river valley areas. Edmonton has a fantastic preserved river valley system that is an outdoor wonder land.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Kelly's pub downtown had college football on last weekend, but I'm sure being a bigger game, there shouldn't be much trouble finding somewhere to watch it.

For Bars, I like beer, so; underground, Pourhouse, Craft, Sugarbowl, Wunderbar, MKT. Whyte Ave is the area for nightlife, and Jasper Ave is starting to get good again.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Don't want to miss these things:

SPIRIT OF STANLEY (In front of United Cycle 7620 Gateway Blvd NW, Edmonton, AB T6E 4Z8
post_display_cropped_f527b94dc990fcbd22dfedeca4bd4a08.jpg

West Edmonton Mall 8882 170 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5T 4J2
ImageGen.ashx

Kevin Lowe and Daryl Katz's House (PM me for address if you wanna stalk them :sarcasm: )

Whyte Ave for Night clubbing and bars 10345 82 Ave NW
Travel-Alberta-Whyte-AVE.jpg

That's about it. Others might have more ideas, but these are the places most tourists visit.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Dropping by here to seek the advice of the natives around Edmonton for a trip I have coming up in a month.

Myself and a few friends are venturing north from the deep south to see the Stars play the Oilers on Friday, December the 4th. Besides the game, there are a few things I would like to see and do while up in Canada, as the chance to visit isn't as frequent as I'd like. Rather than waste y'all's time and banter about internet lists and ideas, I'll just ask a few open ended questions and hope to get some input.

I've always wanted to attend a game in Canada, and make a game in Rexall Place before it closed. Should be fun--thanks in advance for the help!

1) We've never had the chance to play hockey outdoors... ever. On Saturday morning, following the game, is there a place where we could bring our skates and sticks and just play a little pickup? It might seem cliche, but anything with a mountain view would be a bonus. Think "Mystery Alaska," for effect.

2) Later that afternoon, the SEC championship game will be played; is there a good place to watch college football in downtown Edmonton? Moreover, (and this might be a dumb question), is college football broadcast in Canada?

3) What is the nightlife like in Edmonton? In particular, what is a good place to go pre-game and post-game Friday night, and then perhaps venture out Saturday night? We are in our mid-twenties (24-27), if that helps filter the line of thinking.

4) Is there any other good spots to go in Edmonton that are "must-see" for hockey fans? Wouldn't want to miss anything cool while we are up there.

Thanks again for all your help. Really looking forward to the trip, and a good game!

1) There are quite a few outdoor rinks in Edmonton, I'll leave this answer to some of the other guys to answer for you as one of them might take you guys under their wing and arrange a little pick up game. We have to hope the temps start dropping pretty soon though as it has been pretty mild so far this fall. Mountain view is a no go we are a number of hours away from the mountains here.

2) Yes college ball is easy to find in Edmonton and i am pretty sure the SEC champ game will be on somewhere. If you want to watch it in a bar you will probably have to ask them to tune in to the game you want to watch.

3) Like all reasonably big cities there is night life. The top recommendation will probably be along Whyte Avenue. Downtown is no great shakes at this point in time but that will change once the new arena is done.

4) Nothing really else must see as far as hockey goes.

What is you time line like as far as total time spent here? Where are you staying when you get here?

(If you have some extra time a trip out to the mountains is worth it but that is about a 4 hour drive.)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You should probably visit Rexall Place. :sarcasm:

But yeah, the Mall is a must-visit. I always go when I get a chance to go to Edmonton.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
1) There are quite a few outdoor rinks in Edmonton, I'll leave this answer to some of the other guys to answer for you as one of them might take you guys under their wing and arrange a little pick up game. We have to hope the temps start dropping pretty soon though as it has been pretty mild so far this fall. Mountain view is a no go we are a number of hours away from the mountains here.

2) Yes college ball is easy to find in Edmonton and i am pretty sure the SEC champ game will be on somewhere. If you want to watch it in a bar you will probably have to ask them to tune in to the game you want to watch.

3) Like all reasonably big cities there is night life. The top recommendation will probably be along Whyte Avenue. Downtown is no great shakes at this point in time but that will change once the new arena is done.

4) Nothing really else must see as far as hockey goes.

What is you time line like as far as total time spent here? Where are you staying when you get here?

(If you have some extra time a trip out to the mountains is worth it but that is about a 4 hour drive.)

LIES! I have 3 ideas for hockey experience people (2 of them stalking 2 of Edmonton's most known people in Hockey)

sOiled

Apr 19, 2012
Edmonton
1) Pretty much every outdoor rink in the city will probably have a pick-up game going on a Saturday morning/afternoon. Depending on where you're staying some might have a nicer view, or be near the river valley. You won't see the mountains unless you go a little further west (Jasper would be beautiful, but it's a bit of a drive).

2) I think college football is usually on CBS or NBC; however, I'm not sure about bars having the game on. I'm sure there are a few, I just don't know specifically. Maybe the Pint or Hudson's.

3) There's 2 main areas of nightlife in Edmonton: Whyte Avenue and Jasper Avenue. Whyte ave is typically a younger crowd (18 - early 20's), and Jasper is generally a bit more mature (mid 20's and up). Depending on what you're interested in (clubs vs. bars) there's a few good options. I like Billiard's Club on Whyte and Central Social Hall on Jasper, but there's lots of choices.

4) I'm not too sure about hockey-specific sight-seeing. I'd echo Replacement's sentiment to go check out the river valley if you're outdoorsy at all. Beautiful for walk/run. If you like shopping West Edmonton Mall is okay, but always super crowded. Victoria park has a big skating oval that is open for public skating fairly often, it's nice to go skate around if you have friend's that aren't as good at hockey but still want to skate.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I haven't been to West Edmonton Mall since I lived in EDM way back when I was a kid, but I assume it's still the same as ever. You owe it to yourself to check out that mall.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I haven't been to West Edmonton Mall since I lived in EDM way back when I was a kid, but I assume it's still the same as ever. You owe it to yourself to check out that mall.

I haven't been there probably in 10 years and I live here! :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Banff, Banff and more Banff. You have to go to Lake Louise. If you have limited time,id say screw the bars, screw West Ed, go to the mountains, even if only a day trip. Its truely breath taking

If you are going out to the bars I can offer some insight as I feel we are nearly the same age and into similar stuff

If you are into country (assuming since from texas), Cook county is the best bet. Good music, 23-30ish YO crowd, good looking crowd. If you like to get really drunk and party with young crowd, the Ranch and Knoxvilles are the college country bars. However be warned, the crowd is like 18-23 and annoying unless you are black out

If you like a mix of bar/pub, I recommend 1. Pint downtown 2. Central 3. Pint whyte 4. Hudsons whyte. You can watch the games and sit down, but they have a dance floor at night. Its a good crowd and always asafe bet

if you like dance music and a more upscale bar, I recommend red square. Deep house and cool themed bar (upscale). If you want to be a baller, Prive is the place. You can where a suit and get bottle service. Its a vegas style bar. However the crowd there isnt relaxed at all. I wouldnt recommend unless you are really into it

If you like cool bars with intrguing crowd (music oriented) id recommend 1. blackdog 2. Buckinghams 3. Tribute (hip hop/ rap club)

All these places are on whyte ave or downtown. I recommend whyte ave as theres alot of options

I would pre game at cactus club before for good looking waitresses and a good meal or Pint downtown, try and get a spot in limmo, then post game on whyte.

Id then visit WEM and take a rip down in the river valley. As for shinny hockey, Edmonton doesnt really have mountain views, so id go to banff/ jasper for those. But theres a ton of rinks and I believe outdoor rinks are open then

For the SEC game, I would recommend Pint/Central/Hudsons, but id call ahead before to make sure. Id also recommend Schanks sports bar. Its massive, has a ton of screens and has mini golf/ games inside. Its a excellent sports bar. But not downtown

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've lived in Edmonton since 1978, and I still learn new stuff about Edmonton in these kinds of threads. There's some great advice going on here. All I can really add is to make sure you check out the Gretzky statue on the North side of Rexall when you go there. That's pretty much a must see IMO.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
1) Anywhere in Edmonton should have an outdoor rink you can go play at provided the weather cooperates. If not you can do drop in Shinny at one of the rec centers but you will need full equipment.

2) I'm sure one of the sports bars in Edmonton will ave the game on. You can call around and ask before you head out to be sure.

3) I'm going to skip

4) Do you have a Pro Hockey Life in Texas? Pretty cool store thats worth checking out. Also might be worth checking out an AJHL or college game while your here. Definitely a different experience when you go into the smaller older arena's. Be sure to get a picture with the Gretzky statute when you go to Rexall as well.

As for other recommendations if you can get out to the mountains do it. Well worth the drive to check things out. If you've never seen a Buffalo you can also head out to Elk Island National Park. It's about 30 minutes East of the city and has a herd.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
^Banff? A bit odd for a Banff recommendation on an Edmonton board. That's like recommending seeing the Calgary Flames instead of the Edmonton Oilers.

Jasper is our mountain park.

Next, sorry, but countless people are recommending a "drive to the mountains" in December to people from Down south who may never have driven in winter road conditions ever before. :amazed:

Am I the only one of this board that knows that Via rail operates to Jasper and that Busses do as well? Its a beautiful way to go.

8038.1180566000.jpg

Again I would take the train which is quite fast to Jasper. Quite enjoyable as well with lounge car, restaurant and luxurious coach seating on resplendent stock traincars. Train goes about as fast as one can drive to Jasper in winter conditions. Tours, skiing, everything is available in Jasper and as nice or better than Banff.
Particularly spectacular is seeing Maligne Canyon in winter. Or the frozen Athabasca falls.
A game of shinny on Lac Beauvert, lake Edith or Lake Mildred all of which have outdoor ice like I said is a memory of a lifetime. Beautiful restaurants/lounge inside in JPL or just sitting by the huge fire warming up.
What could be better than this place?

http://www.fairmont.com/jasper/

edmontonoilers89

Dec 29, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Banff, Banff and more Banff. You have to go to Lake Louise. If you have limited time,id say screw the bars, screw West Ed, go to the mountains, even if only a day trip. Its truely breath taking

If you are going out to the bars I can offer some insight as I feel we are nearly the same age and into similar stuff

If you are into country (assuming since from texas), Cook county is the best bet. Good music, 23-30ish YO crowd, good looking crowd. If you like to get really drunk and party with young crowd, the Ranch and Knoxvilles are the college country bars. However be warned, the crowd is like 18-23 and annoying unless you are black out

If you like a mix of bar/pub, I recommend 1. Pint downtown 2. Central 3. Pint whyte 4. Hudsons whyte. You can watch the games and sit down, but they have a dance floor at night. Its a good crowd and always asafe bet

if you like dance music and a more upscale bar, I recommend red square. Deep house and cool themed bar (upscale). If you want to be a baller, Prive is the place. You can where a suit and get bottle service. Its a vegas style bar. However the crowd there isnt relaxed at all. I wouldnt recommend unless you are really into it

If you like cool bars with intrguing crowd (music oriented) id recommend 1. blackdog 2. Buckinghams 3. Tribute (hip hop/ rap club)

All these places are on whyte ave or downtown. I recommend whyte ave as theres alot of options

I would pre game at cactus club before for good looking waitresses and a good meal or Pint downtown, try and get a spot in limmo, then post game on whyte.

Id then visit WEM and take a rip down in the river valley. As for shinny hockey, Edmonton doesnt really have mountain views, so id go to banff/ jasper for those. But theres a ton of rinks and I believe outdoor rinks are open then

For the SEC game, I would recommend Pint/Central/Hudsons, but id call ahead before to make sure. Id also recommend Schanks sports bar. Its massive, has a ton of screens and has mini golf/ games inside. Its a excellent sports bar. But not downtown

I was going to type out a response but this post pretty much covers all of it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
^Banff? A bit odd for a Banff recommendation on an Edmonton board. That's like recommending seeing the Calgary Flames instead of the Edmonton Oilers.

Next, sorry, but countless people are recommending a "drive to the mountains" in December to people from Down south who may never have driven in winter road conditions ever before. :amazed:

Am I the only one of this board that knows that Via rail operates to Jasper and that Busses do as well? Its a beautiful way to go.

8038.1180566000.jpg

Again I would take the train which is quite fast to Jasper. Quite enjoyable as well with lounge car, restaurant and luxurious coach seating on resplendent stock traincars. Train goes about as fast as one can drive to Jasper in winter conditions. Tours, skiing, everything is available in Jasper and as nice or better than Banff.
Particularly spectacular is seeing Maligne Canyon in winter. Or the frozen Athabasca falls.
A game of shinny on Lac Beauvert, lake Edith or Lake Mildred all of which have outdoor ice like I said is a memory of a lifetime. Beautiful restaurants/lounge inside in JPL or just sitting by the huge fire warming up.

Train is the best way to go IMO. Just gotta check the schedule to see if it would work. Forgot abut bussing back, that'd be easier then renting a car.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
* theres red star and red square, but upscale. Red star is downtown and deep house. I meant to recommend this one. red square is on whyte but not as good

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

oiler-dude

If you've never been to Canada, and want a nice "mountain" experience, I'd definitely skip out on the mall and nightlife if you can, and hit up Jasper (~4hr drive), maybe even make your way down to Banff (anywhere from ~4 to ~7hr drive, depending on route). Absolutely stunning, and you'll get your mountain view while skating at either place.

Edit: Replacement makes a good point regarding looking at train or bus rather than driving. Can be an adventurous drive even for those acclimatized to winter driving in Alberta...

Jasper skating options:
http://www.explorejasper.com/skating/

Banff skating options:
http://www.banfflakelouise.com/Things-To-Do/Winter-Adventures/Ice-Skating

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

8038.1180566000.jpg

I honestly wasnt aware Bannf vs Jasper had major city allegiances :laugh: My friends go to Banff more often than Jasper. I like both equally as much. But if you are going for a night, and are young, Banff offers some good nightlife. Dancing Sasquatch is a blast.

Its a coin flip for me, but OP has to go to either one. Unless he can go to Colorado rockies or something. Jasper/Banff rival alot of Major NA tourist destinations

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
If you've never experienced a Canadian winter, remember if you rent a 4x4 it doesn't help you stop on ice.

If you play hockey / skate on a lake / pond there will be cracks / ice heaves to avoid.

Jasper is a great suggestion.

Enjoy your visit you will have a great time whatever you choose !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad