TBN: Sources: Matt Ellis joining Sabres as director of player development

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
So, let me ask you:

What qualifies Matt Ellis to be a Director of Player Development in the NHL other than:

His loyalty to Adams/Pegula's

Now explain Appert's "loyalty" versus Taylor's so we can all get turned into conspiracy theory nutcases.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
In reality, I think there could be good reason for these hires, but it comes down to a) if the good reasoning was actually involved in the decision process b) if they execute the plan

There are good reasons to hire people you know and get along with, beside having 'yes men' that will do your bidding.

Having people in the organization all on the same page, with the same goals isn't inherently bad. If the Rochester coach cares more about winning than development, that is an issue. If the Rochester coach fundamentally disagrees with the style or principles of Ralph, that's an issue. Same goes for the director of player development. There will be an extent where someone (likely Ralph) has a disproportional amount of power, but at the end of the day someone always will. Operating in an environment where each individual has different goals that don't align isn't a recipe for success either.

I dont blame anyone for questioning their ability to implement it correctly, but its not inherently wrong.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Is that a real quote?
The Sabres staff has really bought in to dropping "value" words instead of describing actual actions that the strategy is based on. Everyone will feel like they are in agreement since no one actual says anything that can be followed up.

I know "it's just an interview" but that kind of mouth diarrhea forebodes the vision of another authentically mouldy lockerroom gorgonzola on top of the limp spaghetti of a team that will maintain its usual flaccid integrity while efficiently missing the playoffs preaching self-improvement.
that second paragraph reads like a draft for the Bulwer-Lytton fiction competition... major props:thumbu:

Reactions: HaNotsri

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Sure, let's look at his resume as assistant director/director of player development at the NHL level?

Shoot none? Let's look at the AHL level then?

Hrmm, none there either.

Ok, what about NCAA or Major Junior?

Still at absolutely zero?

Wait, hold on, it appears he has experience with the Jr Sabres. That is OJHL experience.

So, let me ask you:

What qualifies Matt Ellis to be a Director of Player Development in the NHL other than:

His loyalty to Adams/Pegula's
His likely cheap salary (by comparison)

I'll wait.

Quit acting like it takes something special to be a Director of Player Development. If you know hockey and you have some sense on how to run a program coupled with actually going thru the process as a player I think you can handle this job.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Chris Drury's first job in the Ranger's front office was Director of Player Development. Ellis is actually more qualified.
Chris Drury Named Director of Player Development
In his role, Drury, 39, will be responsible for working with the team's hockey operations department to assist in the development of Rangers prospects, both on and off the ice. He will serve as a liaison between the hockey operations department and prospects in the organization, and assist in the evaluation of the team's prospects. Drury will work closely with the Rangers' American Hockey League affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack, to further enhance the progression of Rangers prospects who are in professional hockey by providing encouragement and guidance. In addition, he will assist in overseeing and evaluating all players at the collegiate level.

The following year Drury was named AGM and the next year he also became GM of their AHL team. Ellis is on the fast track to become GM. After Adams wins a couple cups, Kim will step aside and Adams will assume the presidency and Ellis becomes GM. Remember you saw it here first.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nobody knows more about developing into an NHL player than Matt Ellis.
(But for real, hopefully he does well in that role.)

Reactions: thewookie1

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Now explain Appert's "loyalty" versus Taylor's so we can all get turned into conspiracy theory nutcases.

$$$$$.

Quit acting like it takes something special to be a Director of Player Development. If you know hockey and you have some sense on how to run a program coupled with actually going thru the process as a player I think you can handle this job.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill

Ah yes, culling the entire front office and replacing a GM with someone with next to zero front office experience.

Now they are surrounding him with people with....zero NHL experience.

If we had an experienced front office in place, I probably wouldn't bat an eye at this position naming.

But, given the current state of the front office, anyone hired to any position without a modicum of NHL experience in that position is going to be given a critical look.

Especially with a "Director" title, even if it is just a fluffed up title for the role.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Chris Drury's first job in the Ranger's front office was Director of Player Development. Ellis is actually more qualified.
Chris Drury Named Director of Player Development
In his role, Drury, 39, will be responsible for working with the team's hockey operations department to assist in the development of Rangers prospects, both on and off the ice. He will serve as a liaison between the hockey operations department and prospects in the organization, and assist in the evaluation of the team's prospects. Drury will work closely with the Rangers' American Hockey League affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack, to further enhance the progression of Rangers prospects who are in professional hockey by providing encouragement and guidance. In addition, he will assist in overseeing and evaluating all players at the collegiate level.

The following year Drury was named AGM and the next year he also became GM of their AHL team. Ellis is on the fast track to become GM. After Adams wins a couple cups, Kim will step aside and Adams will assume the presidency and Ellis becomes GM. Remember you saw it here first.

Oh. yeah. Pegulas are letting any one else run team.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
$$$$$.

Ah yes, culling the entire front office and replacing a GM with someone with next to zero front office experience.

Now they are surrounding him with people with....zero NHL experience.

If we had an experienced front office in place, I probably wouldn't bat an eye at this position naming.

But, given the current state of the front office, anyone hired to any position without a modicum of NHL experience in that position is going to be given a critical look.

Especially with a "Director" title, even if it is just a fluffed up title for the role.

My dude.. they are literally there to support prospects and keep an eye on them. I could get the manager of a Wendy's that could do this job. I mean if it makes you feel good to grind an axe against all things PeGuLa so be it but in 2 days nobody is going to give a second thought about this hire

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
My dude.. they are literally there to support prospects and keep an eye on them. I could get the manager of a Wendy's that could do this job. I mean if it makes you feel good to grind an axe against all things PeGuLa so be it but in 2 days nobody is going to give a second thought about this hire
Hell, I could have gotten the manager of Wendy's to build a playoff team the day after winning the Dahlin lottery too.

Don't underestimate the Pegula's ability to f*** up even the simplest of hires.

Reactions: sabremike

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Can i just say it appears the Pegula's are staffing the front office with people whose only real skill appears to be loyalty to the Pegula's. It seems like something destined to fail miserably.

This, as much as I want to give Matt Ellis the benefit of the doubt, this just seems like another "yes man" move. We'll see. I do think Matt Ellis has some definite attributes, running several camps for skating etc.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
This, as much as I want to give Matt Ellis the benefit of the doubt, this just seems like another "yes man" move. We'll see. I do think Matt Ellis has some definite attributes, running several camps for skating etc.
"yes ma'am", you mean...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is EXACTLY the issue people have: It is in the mold of every single Pegula hire outside of Abysmal*: Zero experience and track record of success at the position and seemingly hired because for their ability to say "Yes Mr Pegula" (and we can see how well that has worked out).

* Yes, Ted Nolan. But he was hired by idiot savant minus the savant part Murray as part of his plan to lose games (and it almost came back to bite him right in his smug ass because Nolan got a group of guys who wouldn't have been particularly great AHL players to work so hard he nearly avoided winning the wooden spoon in 2015 and we end up with Dylan Strome). With what he was given to work with he did by far the best job of anyone in the Pegula Error.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I hate what has happened to the Sabres during the Pegula era but at the same time, I think there is way too much hand wringing, over-analysis, and overthinking about an organizational position that I - until now - have never once thought about in my 50 years as a fan of Buffalo Sabres Hockey.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hell, I could have gotten the manager of Wendy's to build a playoff team the day after winning the Dahlin lottery too.

Don't underestimate the Pegula's ability to f*** up even the simplest of hires.

Well this is KA's hire. The Pegulas have had some bad ones.. mainly Botterill and LaFontaine but I think any non idiot former player can do this job

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well this is KA's hire. The Pegulas have had some bad ones.. mainly Botterill and LaFontaine but I think any non idiot former player can do this job

Based on the actions of Botterill being fired, and the reasons to do so, and them saying it’s going to be a collaborative effort among GM, and coach, and most likely ownership, this falls at the feet of all, whether people like it or not.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is EXACTLY the issue people have: It is in the mold of every single Pegula hire outside of Abysmal*: Zero experience and track record of success at the position and seemingly hired because for their ability to say "Yes Mr Pegula" (and we can see how well that has worked out).

* Yes, Ted Nolan. But he was hired by idiot savant minus the savant part Murray as part of his plan to lose games (and it almost came back to bite him right in his smug ass because Nolan got a group of guys who wouldn't have been particularly great AHL players to work so hard he nearly avoided winning the wooden spoon in 2015 and we end up with Dylan Strome). With what he was given to work with he did by far the best job of anyone in the Pegula Error.

Nolan wasn’t hired by Murray. He was kept on by Murray. Nolan was brought in the day Patty L was brought on.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Sure, you could get a manager of a wendy's to be head coach too. Doesn't mean he's going to do a good job at it. This is a NHL franchise, not a some single A ball club where you can have people learn on the job. You want people with at least some professional experience in there (or at least high level hockey experience) On its own, it's not a huge deal. But, on a team that has culled most of its front office and has a 1st time GM continuing to hiring people based on personal relationships rather than qualifications is, at a minimum, a disturbing trend. As far as an Ax to grind with the Pegula's, I've been a very vocal supporters of theirs most of their ownership. However, given their track record with the team, it's time to let some experienced people put together a front office and step away from day to day operations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad