TBN: Sources: Matt Ellis joining Sabres as director of player development

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sources: Matt Ellis joining Sabres as director of player development
General Manager Kevyn Adams has hired a former colleague and player whom he coached to head the Buffalo Sabres’ new development program.
Sources told The Buffalo News on Friday that Matt Ellis, a former Sabres player and most recently the Academy of Hockey’s director, is joining the team as director of player development. An announcement from the Sabres isn't expected until next month.

He's authentic.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Clearly, he will authentically translate his former playing experience to player development. Accordingly, I predict two years from now, the Sabres overall record for player development with him in the player development role will be 12-2-2 S-B-ETs (successes, busts, even-up trades). He will become Kevyn Adams favorite developer to work with a prospect in the final two months of a player's development.

Reactions: SackTastic

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
“It took me a little while to adjust and figure out exactly where that fit was for me, but those are the things that once I got entrenched in the development world that I started to understand how things are built,” Ellis said during a phone interview with The News in June. “How to go from vision mission to strategy to execution in a way that matched up with what we were about as people with a level of authenticity and integrity.”

I feel like I'm watching The Stepford Wives in an alternate universe.

Reactions: sabresfan3383

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Great move, Matt Ellis is a great guy and Buffalo had a long stretch where we won every game he was in the ice. It was during one of the tanks, either 13-14 or 14-15 but I remember lots of people wanting us to sit or send him down because he was hurting our draft chances.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Great move, Matt Ellis is a great guy and Buffalo had a long stretch where we won every game he was in the ice. It was during one of the tanks, either 13-14 or 14-15 but I remember lots of people wanting us to sit or send him down because he was hurting our draft chances.

I remember that and all, but why would that have any effect on if this is a good hire or not? You can find some great stretch of play or coaching or whatever in every single career out there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Given Matt's previous role as the director of the Academy of Hockey at HarborCenter, this move isn't surprising.

The big question will be what kind of budget will he have to build out a player development staff.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can i just say it appears the Pegula's are staffing the front office with people whose only real skill appears to be loyalty to the Pegula's. It seems like something destined to fail miserably.

By that logic, they would have kept Taylor and not axed him and hired Appert.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Maybe I’m misremembering but I feel like I’ve heard a ton of praise for Ellis’s work with younger players over the past few years. Just because he didn’t have all the talent in the world on the ice doesn’t mean that he can’t do other hockey-related things. If his corporate persona is similar to his on-ice one, he will be a dedicated employee who values work ethic.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Can i just say it appears the Pegula's are staffing the front office with people whose only real skill appears to be loyalty to the Pegula's. It seems like something destined to fail miserably.

Are you saying you know what skills Matt Ellis provides? Can I say it appears this is just a cheap shot trying to frame a narrative with no basis of facts?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Adams has been grooming him for years just as the Pegulas have been grooming Adams. Eventually Ellis will ascend to a senior leadership position and be invited to attend a high council meeting where he will be initiated into the family.

The former left wing played seven years with the Sabres, including four when Adams worked as a development coach and assistant coach under Lindy Ruff.
After retiring from the Rochester Americans following the 2015-16 season, Ellis became a mentee of Adams while the two worked together with the Academy of Hockey in LECOM Harborcenter from 2016 through 2019.
Ellis joined the Academy of Hockey as a development coach in October 2016, only a few months after his retirement, and he was elevated to his role as director in January 2019 when Adams became the Sabres’ senior vice president of business administration. The two also coached together with the Buffalo Jr. Sabres.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Given Matt's previous role as the director of the Academy of Hockey at HarborCenter, this move isn't surprising.

The big question will be what kind of budget will he have to build out a player development staff.
I look at this season as an opportunity to get organized and determine what they really need to have to be an effective program. They need to implement a system to grade players and provide coaching in areas that are deficient. They need skating, skills, and shooting coaches. They have Seamus Kotyk as a goalie coach. I'm not sure what role Adam Mair can fill teaching players at the professional level.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I look at this season as an opportunity to get organized and determine what they really need to have to be an effective program. They need to implement a system to grade players and provide coaching in areas that are deficient. They need skating, skills, and shooting coaches. They have Seamus Kotyk as a goalie coach. I'm not sure what role Adam Mair can fill teaching players at the professional level.

Personally, they need to raid the Chicago Steel organization.

What Ryan Hardy has built in Chicago is really good from a player development POV.

Reactions: Tatanka

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
“It took me a little while to adjust and figure out exactly where that fit was for me, but those are the things that once I got entrenched in the development world that I started to understand how things are built,” Ellis said during a phone interview with The News in June. “How to go from vision mission to strategy to execution in a way that matched up with what we were about as people with a level of authenticity and integrity.”

I feel like I'm watching The Stepford Wives in an alternate universe.

Is that a real quote?
The Sabres staff has really bought in to dropping "value" words instead of describing actual actions that the strategy is based on. Everyone will feel like they are in agreement since no one actual says anything that can be followed up.

I know "it's just an interview" but that kind of mouth diarrhea forebodes the vision of another authentically mouldy lockerroom gorgonzola on top of the limp spaghetti of a team that will maintain its usual flaccid integrity while efficiently missing the playoffs preaching self-improvement.

Reactions: sabremike

Member 308457

Seems to me Pegulas don't give a rat's ass about the Sabres. They just hire cheap former Sabres in management positions who are happy just to have a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Havok89

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Are you saying you know what skills Matt Ellis provides? Can I say it appears this is just a cheap shot trying to frame a narrative with no basis of facts?

Sure, let's look at his resume as assistant director/director of player development at the NHL level?

Shoot none? Let's look at the AHL level then?

Hrmm, none there either.

Ok, what about NCAA or Major Junior?

Still at absolutely zero?

Wait, hold on, it appears he has experience with the Jr Sabres. That is OJHL experience.

So, let me ask you:

What qualifies Matt Ellis to be a Director of Player Development in the NHL other than:

His loyalty to Adams/Pegula's
His likely cheap salary (by comparison)

I'll wait.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sure, let's look at his resume as assistant director/director of player development at the NHL level?

Hrmm, none there either.

Wait, hold on, it appears he has experience with the Jr Sabres. That is OJHL experience.

So, let me ask you:

What qualifies Matt Ellis to be a Director of Player Development in the NHL other than:

I'll wait.
:help:A U T H E N T I C I T Y:help:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Hrmm, none there either.

So, let me ask you:

I'll wait.

He had his own notebook.

Duhhhhh

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad