Friedman: "Sounds like the Yotes are working to give Duclair a fresh start"

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Duclair welcome to Montreal where Claude and you will get along just fine.... he'll shelter you and make you into a defensive robot and you'll in turn lose all confidence because you put up 0 points.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Duclair makes a lot of sense for Buffalo. But, realistically it's a flyer type of move similar to Lazar going for a 2nd round pick. That's about all he's worth.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
His play style would mesh perfectly with Columbus. I think he'd fit perfectly on the 3rd line. If I'm Jarmo I vet him thoroughly to make sure there aren't any character issues first.

I think Torts would whip him into shape next off-season and he'd look like a completely different player.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't get how Duclair makes sense for Buffalo. He's not a good player - they have a ton of 3rd liners with some upside types. He is not good defensively, and the Sabres need to tighten up.

Buffalo needs more good players, and fewer failed projects from other teams.

I think Boston, Philly and San Jose are good destinations...teams that could give up a little defensively to boost offence.

Reactions: Chainshot

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
His play style would mesh perfectly with Columbus. I think he'd fit perfectly on the 3rd line. If I'm Jarmo I vet him thoroughly to make sure there aren't any character issues first.

I think Torts would whip him into shape next off-season and he'd look like a completely different player.

Does Columbus really need more top 9 winger types? I feel like they should look for a C project, not a wing project.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The two teams I thought of immediately were Buffalo and Edmonton, both of which have been mentioned in here. I think getting cheap and young depth for both of those teams would definitely help them.

Buffalo should trade Scott Wilson for him just so Wilson can be traded for a 3rd time in 3 months :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Lazar + 3rd for Duclair?

Ottawa hosed the flames in that deal. Lazar made the NHL as a 19 year old...he just never was very good.
Yeah, hosed big time. I don't understand why they thought a struggling player with a 3rd line ceiling (under the absolute best circumstances) was worth a 2nd round pick.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Does Columbus really need more top 9 winger types? I feel like they should look for a C project, not a wing project.
Right now yes. Atkinson and Wennberg are hurt, Dubinsky is out. Jenner/Foligno have been invisible. We have no depth scoring, right now it’s just our top line of Anderson Panarin and Dubois carrying us.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't get how Duclair makes sense for Buffalo. He's not a good player - they have a ton of 3rd liners with some upside types. He is not good defensively, and the Sabres need to tighten up.

Buffalo needs more good players, and fewer failed projects from other teams.

I think Boston, Philly and San Jose are good destinations...teams that could give up a little defensively to boost offence.

(1) We're slow, about to trade Evander Kane - one of our few players with speed - and Housley wants to play faster; and
(2) We don't have organizational depth at LW, and we're about to trade our best LW (Kane). After Kane, our left shot LWers are Pouliot (likely traded, as well), Girgensons, Scott Wilson, and Jordan Nolan. CJ Smith is all we've got in Rochester, and he's far from a sure thing in the NHL.

It comes down to price. If we can acquire Duclair for a 3rd or 4th, or for something around one of our glut of RW prospects (Baptiste or Bailey, preferably), then I'd take the risk.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not surprised. Duclair has been passed by Perlini, Fischer, and Keller this year. Duclair has rediscovered his touch this year. In a different environment where he can be properly slotted he can score 30. I dont think this is a dump for picks type deal.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I honestly don't think the jackets need more centers.

Wennberg and PLD are the long term core at C with Dubinsky being the 3C in a pretty much defensive/PK role.

Right now PLD is playing 16-20+ minutes a game getting PP, PK and 5v5 playing time leading our 1st line.

They also have stenlund coming over next season from the SHL, who looked like a man among boys at prospects camp last season. He's expected to come compete for a 3/4C role next season.

Texier is our project center, he's in his first season in Liiga and is tied for 5th in points on his team as an 18 yr old.

The jackets also have a couple guys in Cleveland who need a season or two to develop further.

Making a big trade for a center would be a mistake. The Jackets have struggled getting any consistency from the 4th line. It's been a revolving door all season between injuries to the top 9 and players trying to secure a spot on the 4th. The jackets could use someone to force players down to the 4th or someone to solidify the 4th line.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Normally I wouldn't believe this. I do this time because Friedman said last week the Canucks will deal guddy sooner rather then later.

Also there are Canucks army guys working for the panthers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Duclair for Goldobin?
It probably will be something like that and it totally sucks. Duclair is the same age as Goldobin and already has a 20g NHL season under his belt and could easily put up another 20g campaign this season if his coach would simply stop making him a healthy scratch or benching him all the time. He's in pace for 17 despite crap minutes and scratches galore.

Goldobin hasn't done anything in the NHL. Yet, the Coyotes have destroyed Duclair's value so much that we'll probably be lucky to get Goldobin for him. Dumb. So dumb.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I can't think of another player in the league who has shown Duclair's productivity but is being held back so it'd be hard to find an equal value 1 for 1 trade, even though Duclair is a better talent than Goldobin quite easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad