Friedman: "Sounds like the Yotes are working to give Duclair a fresh start"

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
what is the deal with Duclair?

he was pretty much the 2nd or 3rd best prospect NYR had when they traded him for Yandle, then his first year in ARI he had a nice season with 20 goals and 44 pts but I heard that tippet just wasnt a fan and just kind of ruined him and stopped playing him?

can anyone confirm where he went off the rails after a good first season?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
what is the deal with Duclair?

he was pretty much the 2nd or 3rd best prospect NYR had when they traded him for Yandle, then his first year in ARI he had a nice season with 20 goals and 44 pts but I heard that tippet just wasnt a fan and just kind of ruined him and stopped playing him?

can anyone confirm where he went off the rails after a good first season?

To the vast majority of fans, Duclair looks like he puts in at least as much effort as his average teammate. He does not appear to be any more of a defensive issue than his average teammate either. I see a guy with an adequate work ethic who is adequately inconsequential defensively for a guy with his offensive upside. Especially a young guy with his offensive upside.

I would give him a MUCH MUCH longer leash than he's been given. I think he's got fairly easily attainable >20g/season upside in the NHL. For that, I'd happily allow him some growing pains on horrendous teams with no playoff hopes. When you're as bad a team as Arizona, you might as well let Duclair play his game and figure things out.

His current head coach thinks he's lazy and won't commit to the system. His last head coach felt the same way.

I think both of them want(ed) him to be something he's not. I don't think either appreciate what he could be. I think he's been unfairly singled out and mistreated. That said, it's tough to argue with two different coaches staffs. He had a clean slate this year and managed to find his way back to the dog house again anyway.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What's he worth at this point?
Not half as much as it should be.

I'd be on the phone with Calgary personally. I think Maloney and Treliving could still recognize his very realistic, very strong upside. Rasmus Andersson seems a victim of the numbers game and buried a bit. The Flames might be able to use a young RW. Could be a fit there.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This may be interesting to revisit from Detroit's perspective when the time comes for AA negotiations. Depending on how pissed Athanasiou is about this year's events.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary

I'd be on the phone with Calgary personally. I think Maloney and Treliving could still recognize his very realistic, very strong upside. Rasmus Andersson seems a victim of the numbers game and buried a bit. The Flames might be able to use a young RW. Could be a fit there.

Would love to have Duclair but Andersson is the number one call-up guy and NHL ready. He will be on the team by the end of the season if anyone is injured or next year for sure when Bart finally goes away. I think they would move one (or two) of Valimaki/Fox/Kulak/Kylington before Andersson.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Very interesting, although I'd prefer not to move Andersson. I think he'll be ready for next year, and I'd honestly look at moving one of Hamilton/Hamonic/Stone to open a spot for him. Calgary does seem like a good fit though. They need a top 9 goal scorer, he fits with them long term, and there is that Treliving/Maloney connection as you said.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hypothetically, say AA is being difficult with Detroit in the summer, would something like this work?

:wings

Duclair

:coyotes

Athanasiou
Franzen

Franzen is merely a cap move for both teams. Yotes get a cap hit without really paying anything. Detroit doesn't need Franzen off their LTIR yet, but if Zetterberg LTIRetires in 2019, they would.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Did Duclair play with Vrbata at all?
Vrbata has been dreadful the last month, wonder if Duclair could help spark him?

Would you prefer picks or prospects?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I would love to get Duclair in Calgary.

I have some concerns about his work ethic but maybe a change of scenery revitalizes him and gives him a kick in the pants.

If all it takes is Andersson then sign me up.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Sens should be interested after he shredded us earlier this season. Need speed and youth.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hypothetically, say AA is being difficult with Detroit in the summer, would something like this work?

:wings

Duclair

:coyotes

Athanasiou
Franzen

Franzen is merely a cap move for both teams. Yotes get a cap hit without really paying anything. Detroit doesn't need Franzen off their LTIR yet, but if Zetterberg LTIRetires in 2019, they would.

Duclair and AA are probably close. wings will have to add something significant to dump the contract of franzen though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad