Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
This is how I feel as well. I would have preferred to trade Martin and kept Sosh.

St. Louis has acquired talent on the cheap at our expense in the past, and they just did it again.

The young guys love Martin, couple that with his contract and he’s almost unmovable unless you put him on waivers

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Feels like we lost the trade. Sosh was imo the leo/Martin replacement. STL might have won another trade with us.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Feels like we lost the trade. Sosh was imo the leo/Martin replacement. STL might have won another trade with us.

Well, if Sosh becomes a serviceable 3rd or 4th liner for STL, they've won the trade as statistically it's not very likely a 4th rounder becomes a NHL player. Not much else we could do, roster crunch.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Good luck to him, no room however with these wingers: Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen, Marleau, Hyman, Grundstrom guaranteed to make the team.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So now we've cleared a contract spot, have 5.4M in cap space and plenty of picks the next two seasons including 2 2nd's this year and the Marlies are stocked with some guys that are close

Looks like we're about go shopping

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
had he been able to stay healthy imo he'd be here. so hopefully he can be healthy and have a relatively decent career. but we have a contract spot available, and now we can do something at deadline day.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Well, if Sosh becomes a serviceable 3rd or 4th liner for STL, they've won the trade as statistically it's not very likely a 4th rounder becomes a NHL player. Not much else we could do, roster crunch.

The only risk for St. Louis is that Sosh has been on the IR far too often for such a young player. If he can manage to stay healthy, they win this trade hands down.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Fourth rnd pick for someone who is nothing special and can be replaced. Good trade.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
So now we've cleared a contract spot, have 5.4M in cap space and plenty of picks the next two seasons including 2 2nd's this year and the Marlies are stocked with some guys that are close

Looks like we're about go shopping

Hopefully we keep selling and go on a buying spree in July starting with Tavares.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Could have waived Martin or even traded him. Also could have moved Komarov. I think Sosh can be a good player with good linemates. We'll have to see I guess.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
in terms of value in a vacuum, Sosh is way more likely to be a regular NHL'er than that pick

but, our back was against the wall a little, and honestly think that guys with higher ceilings were going to take Sosh's spot even as a bottom line replacement. Johnsson/Grundstrom are knocking on the door and both have those 2 way abilities with more ceiling

good problems, at least we got an asset back. Hopefully it's the 4th rounder that turns into our Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Kaprizov/etc

maybe there's something to be said about keeping the relationship going with a regular trade partner too. Good chance they'll be happy with the result of this trade, and we'll have more excess assets down the road

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Hopefully we keep selling and go on a buying spree in July starting with Tavares.
No point in wasting a good year, trade for JT now and re-sign him for 8.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Tavares Brown
Komarov Bozak Kapanen
Moore

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak
Borgman Carrick

Andersen
Mcelhinney

Trade Martin and Leivo

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yikes.

I hope Sosh does well in STL, seemed like a good kid.
i don't hate him, i wish he kept him because he'd be great on the 4th line next year, but i don't wanna lose another trade, even if its a minor one

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
i don't hate him, i wish he kept him because he'd be great on the 4th line next year, but i don't wanna lose another trade, even if its a minor one
Well we signed him for nothing, so the 4th rounder is only gravey. Even if he does turn out to be a gem for St. Louis, I doubt he would ever had the chance to do that here. Way too much depth on the wings ahead of him.

Also Leafs don't lose a lot of trades, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
In B4 someone posts that it should have been Bozak that was traded!

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Lol Because they might trade him to St Louis? Kinda splitting hairs here on a off hand comment on the difference between a 4th or 3rd:huh:.

The difference between a 3rd and 4th is actually pretty significant: A player picked in the 3rd round has about a 25% (or 1 in 4) chance of turning into an NHL player. The odds in the 4th round drop to about ~15% and then down to ~12% for rounds 5-7. In other words, after the top 90 or 100 players are picked, there's a significant drop-off in talent. That's why a 3rd would have been nice. Mind you, it would have also been a pleasant surprise. I don't think expecting a 3rd for a player like Soshnikov was realistic.

Ultimately, I think this is a good buy for St. Louis. Soshnikov has the toolbox to be a quality 2nd or 3rd liner in this league: The skating, the shot, the willingness to engage physically is all there. The only question marks are his hockey IQ and whether his body can withstand the rigors of an NHL season. So far, the answer has been no. At worst, they've got a decent 4th liner who can kill penalties. All for a pick unlikely to turn into anything.

From the Leafs perspective, Lou and co. got what they could get, but I feel as if they sort of backed themselves into this corner. They built up quite the stable of young, NHL ready forwards but have a coach who has a strong preference for the veteran and refused to move on from players like Leo Komarov. Not what I'd consider to be strong asset management. Fortunately... they also seem to be good at finding these guys. Sosh, of course, was a free wallet in the first place. Here's hoping the contract spot gives us some flexibility moving forward and that pick actually gets used on someone talented, not another hulking defenseman with questionable skating.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The return exceeded anyone's reasonable expectations, roster jam and he was coming off an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad