Confirmed with Link: Soshnikov to St Louis for a 2019 4th Round Pick

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
4th is great value for him. Free wallet becomes a 4th, he really isnt a necessary piece on this team. Kapanen is far better player and being 21 will eventually climb the lineup after getting his feet wet on the 4th line. Sosh ceiling is maybe 3rd line winger at absolute best which he is unlikely to reach.
Leivo is still here,
Johnsson is dominating for the marlies,
Grundstrom seemed like he was pretty close,
Aaltonen is a depth option,
Rychel could handle a 4th line shift soon.
Then further behind Timashov, Bracco (wont ever work on a 4th line IMO) and brooks. sosh wasnt a needed piece and we got a 4th for that is great. i thought a 5th at best so this is great.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I’ll miss the guy but his play style lends itself to injuries.

Hopefully he can put it together and have a great career.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Works for me. If it wasn't for his escape clause he'd still be with the Marlies, I'll take a 4th for that. Depth is a nice thing to have.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That return exceeded my expectations drastically, even if we have to wait an extra year for that pick.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Useful skill-set, but depth at wing/PK options, coupled with injuries, means that he was in tough to get the playing time he had last season. Necessary to have some room under the roster and contract limits too, and a 4th rounder is a decent enough return and certainly preferable to waivers or a conditional pick that's not guaranteed in having its condition met.

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Deal gets us down to 49 players opens up the possibility of getting another player.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
How? The guy barely played and would not have cleared waivers
Well, maybe a couple of teams knowing he was going to be dealt would be interested enough to trade a third for him a pretty good team like the Blues was willing to surrender a 4th maybe a bad team with plenty of holes might ttake a chance on a guy with some upside.Not a unreasonable thought I don’t think.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sosh :(

Glad we got a 4th, expecting a top 90 (well, 93) pick for him would have probably asking a bit much, so a 4th is fine.

Plus we fix our roster crunch and are down to 49 contracts.

Will be interesting to see if Leivo or Martin go next

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Kind of disappointed about it being a 4th. Would have liked a 3rd. But it's not the end of the world.

Opening up the contract slot is the best part of this. Also clears one more hurdle for Johnsson to get in the lineup.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Sosh :(

Glad we got a 4th, expecting a top 90 (well, 93) pick for him would have probably asking a bit much, so a 4th is fine.

Plus we fix our roster crunch and are down to 49 contracts.

Will be interesting to see if Leivo or Martin go next
I don't think a 3rd rounder is asking too much and it is probably fair value for Sosh, but when you consider how little leverage the Leafs had in this situation (50 contracts, Sosh coming off IR, etc.), a 4th rounder is a pretty solid return.

This could also be a message to Leivo that he is first in line and now a priority to get in to the line-up. Martin may be on his way out next.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This sucks. I know they lost him to numbers game and teams wouldn't give anything more coz they didnt have to.

This is how I feel as well. I would have preferred to trade Martin and kept Sosh.

St. Louis has acquired talent on the cheap at our expense in the past, and they just did it again.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I hope he learns to play and stay healthy. His head and body have already been through a shit kicking. His reckless style was his calling card even in that 1st video from the KHL. All the best Nikita.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Meh, I suppose that’s one less guy to worry about fitting into the lineup next year.

4th isn’t great but likely going rate for a 4th liner with only limited NHLer experience.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It is what it is. Kapanen clearly passed him and Leivo IMO is a better player. Sucks he's gone for likely nothing in the long run but it's the best case when they're screwed by the roster crunch.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This trade also clears a roster spot.

Either way, a mid round pick for someone that clearly was pushed out of a spot is really good. It could have been waivers.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Well, maybe a couple of teams knowing he was going to be dealt would be interested enough to trade a third for him a pretty good team like the Blues was willing to surrender a 4th maybe a bad team with plenty of holes might ttake a chance on a guy with some upside.Not a unreasonable thought I don’t think.

Why would you not just wait the Leafs out then, knowing eventually they had to waive him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad