Sorry , we are the softest team in the NHL

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Came across this clip from a few years ago. I want everyone to notice the stark contrast in difference of play. I didn't see it so much given the gradual decline in it.

Anyone see the Leafs playing like this against anyone? Hate to say it but maybe some folks are onto something with this. We need a few guys in the lineup who let everyone else feel a little bigger.

@Volcanologist @Menzinger @LeafingTheWay

Y’all telling us you didn’t enjoy that clip? If y’all didn’t, why not?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
but with oodles of heart and toughness.

it was the manliest sweep ever.

Well I think our sweep of Ottawa was more manly but that was Y2K. Long time ago.

I think the Islanders see their season with cast offs and sans Tavares as a success.

I mean it’s hard to make it to Round 2. We haven’t done it in 16 years.

Picture having a baby. And then that baby growing up to have a Drivers License. All that time in between... filled with missed playoffs and first round exits.

Shanahan may have picked the wrong pony

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well I think our sweep of Ottawa was more manly but that was Y2K. Long time ago.

I think the Islanders see their season with cast offs and sans Tavares as a success.

I mean it’s hard to make it to Round 2. We haven’t done it in 16 years.

Picture having a baby. And then that baby growing up to have a Drivers License. All that time in between... filled with missed playoffs and first round exits.

Shanahan may have picked the wrong pony
Consider being a baby, growing up and having a baby and watching that baby grow up and have a baby and watching that baby walk....and still no cup

Reactions: Erdinger

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
@Volcanologist @Menzinger @LeafingTheWay

Y’all telling us you didn’t enjoy that clip? If y’all didn’t, why not?

As IPS said, I was a huge Kadri fan. You see how I defend Nylander nowadays? I supported Kadri even more since 2014 on here lol. He was a skilled possession player who played with physicality. Unfortunately, he had a really down year last year. But the return on Kadri was fantastic, and many of you will soon see that when Barrie adjusts and Kerfoot continues to be a stable fiesty 3C.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Because of that sieve goaltender, Caps skill and determination.........not because the Leafs were actually engaged in a hockey game. Perhaps soccer would be more to your liking.

the clip shows the Leafs losing from a series they lost...but that's not important to you because they threw a few hits in that sequence. Perhaps rugby or a prison riot would be more to your liking.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Move Nylander and one of Johnsson/Kapanen $10.3M total cap. Try to acquire 2-3 players with game/jam. For instance; Wilson $5.2M, Manson $4.0M Jenner $3.8M, Anderson $1.9M, Kassian $1.9M, Crouse $1.5M, Kuraly $1.3M, Ritchie $0.9M, Maroon $0.9M, R Johnston $0.9M, Ferland etc ect, ect...

Reaves at $2.8M is rich, but the flies wouldn't be buzzing around Matthews, Tavares or Marner nearly as much with him around. You can be certain of that.

Improbable and certainly easier said than done, but there isn't even a pulse from this GM. He doesn't believe "one player like this can make a difference". So the answer then is to bring in the right kind of players, and have 3 or 4 of them! Be flexible in your own philosophy, and build a better balanced team.

P.S. Please do not resign Barrie!. He is exactly what this team didn't need another of.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
the clip shows the Leafs losing from a series they lost...but that's not important to you because they threw a few hits in that sequence. Perhaps rugby or a prison riot would be more to your liking.
The lost because they played hockey? Hitting is integral part of hockey always has been.

ETA, you haven’t spent much time near a prison if you think some men playing a game by the rules is anything like a prison riot. Between figure skating events and soccer matches you should study the NM Prison riot.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I meant a Conn Smythe, which to me means a whole hell of a lot more

Yes Malkin won the Conn Smythe and Kessel could have also arguably won it either of those years as well.

That doesn't change the fact Malkin and Kessel play the same way as Matthews and Nylander away from the puck. Heck, I'd even argue Matthews and Nylander are better than Malkin and Kessel away from the puck. The difference is Malkin and Kessel were dominant every time they had the puck and were amazing offensively almost every shift in those playoffs.

I see a lot of similarity in Matthews and Malkin in playing style, but Malkin was an absolute beast offensively in his prime. Matthews has not taken that step offensively yet, but we'll see.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Malkin plays with much more of an edge than Matthews. Playing against Malkin is taxing unlike Matthews. He threw double the amount of hits as Matthews last year.
89 PIMs to Matthews 12.

What a comparison

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Malkin plays with much more of an edge than Matthews. Playing against Malkin is taxing unlike Matthews. He threw double the amount of hits as Matthews last year.
89 PIMs to Matthews 12.

What a comparison
Speaking of comparisons...I've been trying to decide who Matthews compares to /what player/former player he reminds me of...so far the closest I can figure is Mike Modano.

Originally ,I thought Matthews ceiling was higher,but now I'm not so sure.I mean ,most players would be lucky to have career like Modano. Maybe Auston scores more,not sure,but he is tame like Modano and has a few moves and of course a great shot. When Matthews starts playing like he owns the league then maybe his ceiling rises. Maybe better line-mates ,different coach would change that. Or maybe what we are seeing is all he will ever be!

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Of course we is. We MY THUGS AT!!! He yoouuuuu where my thugs at!!!!!!!!!!! :pump:

We need em real hard. Get em dubas, or fail again in the playoffs. Again and again. When will a sucka learn though? That is the shakesphere question.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Remember they use to have Polak Komarov, Martin. They everyone wanted them gone do now they got no grit.
This is the funniest thing about it, 80% of people bitching in this thread were bitching about these guys because they were ass too.

It's like some are expecting Dubas to create this f***ing skilled power forward in a lab or something.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
This is the funniest thing about it, 80% of people *****ing in this thread were *****ing about these guys because they were ass too.

It's like some are expecting Dubas to create this ****ing skilled power forward in a lab or something.
Not me. I said prior to the Kadri trade that they need more of that, not less.

I expect him to do better than he’s done. He got rid of the tiny bit of sandpaper they had and didn’t replace it. That’s on him and his flawed vision of what a successful hockey team looks like.

I’ve never felt embarrassed to watch a hockey team and that’s where I’m at. I guess that’s what happens when it’s built on Microsoft excel?

Team is trending in the wrong direction, he’s traded back to back first round picks and he’s mismanaged the cap to the point he has no space to improve his roster without a significant shake up.

I’m honestly not sure how Kyle Dubas still has a job? Worst hire in the history of the franchise.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Playoff hockey is completely different from regular season hockey. Refs simply aren't going to call the vast majority of penalties. If you're a team built around speed and skill, this is a disadvantage, because other teams can clutch/grab to slow you down, and then generally win the puck battles.

I agree that it's stupid that the NHL has a different set of rules for the playoffs, but that's still the reality, and has been for as long as I can remember. In saying that, you don't want to bring in plugs either. Edmonton focused on bringing in size when they traded away Hall + Eberle, signed Russell + Lucic, etc, and that clearly didn't benefit them at all.

You also can't just bring in one guy and expect that to make a difference. We ideally would have another Muzzin style defenceman in the top 4, and then a pair of top 9 forwards similar to Jenner, J. Anderson, Wilson (though less dirty), etc. Guys who can actually play hockey, play big minutes, but also win those battles in the corners, front of the net, etc, and who aren't going to be pushed around or slowed down in the playoffs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I’d rather not. That’s basically my life if we don’t win in 6 years. ;)
Many fans are in this boat, I'm 52 and was 3 months old the last time they won the cup, they've come close in some of the years like 87,93,94 and 02, but those were conference finals, 93 was the team that was destined because Lemieux was sick leaving the playoffs wide open for anyone, but Kerry Fraser's missed non call prevented a Leafs vs Canadiens final with the Leafs probably winning. Anyways think of how many generations of Cubs fans that saw no championships from 1908 to 2016, we're only half way there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad