Sorokin or Shesterkin and why?

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Not to make anyone jealous but I drafted both of them in my simulated hockey league last year, with Ville Husso. I've seen more footage of Shertyerkin, but in the end both look so freaking athletic and quick, I can't wait to see them in the big show.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not to make anyone jealous but I drafted both of them in my simulated hockey league last year, with Ville Husso. I've seen more footage of Shertyerkin, but in the end both look so freaking athletic and quick, I can't wait to see them in the big show.

ya I am debating on picking up one or the other... or maybe even both too

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why is Samsonov not in the mix?

He could be just as good

oh he definately is in the mix if a thread was asking about the good young Russian goalies and/or good young goalie prospects. But OP just asked about this future New York duo!!

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Should be very interesting if his contract gets bought out. Im eager to see him here

What was the reason they were 3rd and 4th round picks and not higher? Or is this just a case of them both developing extremely fast after they were drafted and just plain old got alot better? Or was there other reasons they werent higher

Goalies are really hard to judge.

Sorokin put up poor numbers in the KHL as a 17 year old, Shesterkin was in the Russian juniors. Neither saw meaningful action in international tournaments.

There wasn't a whole lot to work with. Both saw a big upturn in development the following years.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Goalies are really hard to judge.

Sorokin put up poor numbers in the KHL as a 17 year old, Shesterkin was in the Russian juniors. Neither saw meaningful action in international tournaments.

There wasn't a whole lot to work with. Both saw a big upturn in development the following years.

ok thanks for that..

ya I was wondering if they had poor draft years or if the infamous "Russian factor" was in play or what.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why is Samsonov not in the mix?

He could be just as good

I think he's the best prospect of the three, but there are so many similarities between these two. Rangers and Islanders, SKA and CSKA, they've competed for years for the same spot with Russian National Teams, they are good friends, kind of similar in style of play.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like until recently there weren't that many great Russian goalies. Then we got Varlamov and Bob now, I'm probably forgetting someone. Seems like there are at least great goalie prospects too. Russians all of a sudden want to play goal?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Sorokin will most likely come over first
Who will be better? Flip a coin
I like Shesty more and I do think I’d like him a little more if I wasn’t a Rangers fan anyway. Both are/will be studs and I can’t wait to add another element to the Rangers/Isles rivalry

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think this nice little article is a good reason to bump this thread.

Awesome article and thanks for sharing!! You do a great job Caser at keeping us informed on tr Russian prospect front.

Sorokin is definitely a risk taker and aggressive.
Both young talented goalies who will hopefully be battling it out against each other in New York for a very long time. I think both Islanders and Rangers fans would sign up for that if it meant have legit franchise goalies.

Reactions: Caser

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Sorokin will most likely come over first
Who will be better? Flip a coin
I like Shesty more and I do think I’d like him a little more if I wasn’t a Rangers fan anyway. Both are/will be studs and I can’t wait to add another element to the Rangers/Isles rivalry
Shesty's contract is up earlier if I'm not mistaken

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Should be very interesting if his contract gets bought out. Im eager to see him here

What was the reason they were 3rd and 4th round picks and not higher? Or is this just a case of them both developing extremely fast after they were drafted and just plain old got alot better? Or was there other reasons they werent higher

Shestyorkin was considered a very raw, boom-or-bust pick. The Rangers actually picked a goalie before him, taking Brandon Halverson from the OHL in the second round. It's also just hard to establish the pedigree of a high draft pick playing in the MHL. Even at the time of the draft, though, the scouting report on Shestyorkin was that he could very well end up being the best goalie of the draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is kind of what I've observed, as well, although I don't know the position in such detail. There's this theory out there that because Sorokin is a little taller and has played an extra KHL season that he's more polished, but from what I've seen, its the opposite, Shestyorkin is the more polished and technically sound of the two. Sorokin is very good, but his technique needs more work. He gets by a lot on athleticism. Shestyorkin has very high athleticism, as well. I don't know who's more athletic, but I think Sorokin uses his athleticism more than Shestyorkin. Both are very good, and should have excellent NHL careers.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I've read an interview of Shestyorkin in which he said that Sorokin is the best goalie of KHL:nod: So...
They’re actually really good friends and I think if Sorokin was asked the same he’d say Shesty, I get you were kidding though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad