Sorokin or Shesterkin and why?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think Shesty will be the better goalie just based off Ben Allaire, also having Lundqvist to mentor him will be huge.

Both goalie are incredible, well see how it goes.

Benoit Allaire is amazing. Wish the islanders had a coach like him. He and his brother are known to be surgeons when working with goalies.

Interesting side note. His brother I believe is still the goaltending coach for the Avs. Sorokin is really close to Varlamov. He was actually in Colorado hanging with Varly. Maybe during the summers he can work with the Allaire brothers. I can dream.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I'm curious to hear people's opinions on the relative skill & capabilities of these two promising young Goalie prospects. I realize Sorokin has only just signed his 1st NHL deal but what is your opinion on who will ultimately be the better G in the NHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shestyorkin plays a quieter game. More reliant on technique and reading the play. He has great athleticism, but rarely uses it because he's very in control.

Sorokin is more all over the place. Great athleticism, but has to use it a lot. He's improved the technical aspects of the position more in the last year than I had seen the prior few, but his game is still wild.

Shestyorkin has really elevated his play in the last 4-5 years. He's improved his technique in net so much, and the results show. Sorokin hasn't shown the same level of improvement. He's still very good, but its going to be a harder adjustment for him to NA ice than Shestyorkin had and has a lower floor. I expect he'll make the adjustment, and it might be quick, but Shestyorkin is the better goalie.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sorokin will definitely have the better numbers playing in Trotz system compared to Shest facing 40+ shots a game. Although Shest had good numbers this season but they’re not sustainable with the workload he’s been getting .

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sorokin will definitely have the better numbers playing in Trotz system compared to Shest facing 40+ shots a game. Although Shest had good numbers this season but they’re not sustainable with the workload he’s been getting .

Rags are gonna draft Lafreniere soon and their youngsters are getting older and better. Why would they allow 40 shots a game?

If I were a betting man, I'd go with the guy in a better situation. And that would be Shesterkin.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Rags are gonna draft Lafreniere soon and their youngsters are getting older and better. Why would they allow 40 shots a game?

If I were a betting man, I'd go with the guy in a better situation. And that would be Shesterkin.
Maybe in 2021-2022 but next year Staal and Smith (albeit he played better later in season) are still on the defense and the really good d prospects are still not ready yet (Miller, Robertson, Nils Lundkvist, Jones). I would say the Islanders defense is still better in front of the goalie.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Maybe in 2021-2022 but next year Staal and Smith (albeit he played better later in season) are still on the defense and the really good d prospects are still not ready yet (Miller, Robertson, Nils Lundkvist, Jones). I would say the Islanders defense is still better in front of the goalie.
Agreed.

That being said, even though I'm an Islanders fan I'm intrigued by Lundkvist...he's gotten a shit-ton of press the last year

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Benoit Allaire is amazing. Wish the islanders had a coach like him. He and his brother are known to be surgeons when working with goalies.

Interesting side note. His brother I believe is still the goaltending coach for the Avs. Sorokin is really close to Varlamov. He was actually in Colorado hanging with Varly. Maybe during the summers he can work with the Allaire brothers. I can dream.
Weird how things workout. Varly and Sorokin are now teammates with the isles and Sorokin has a great goalie coach in Mitch Korn.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
We will know next year when we have a full Russian goalie New York showdown

Shestyorkin/Georgiev vs Sorokin/Varlamov

plus Samsonov with the Caps, Kochetkov on the Canes, Tarasov on the Jackets, and Askarov in this years draft might go to the canes as well... the Metro is gonna be a Russian Goalie Showdown.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's enough animosity and comparison of prospects from both teams. Bottom line as a hockey fan first, both teams are set with young and potentially star goalies for years to come. It will be fun to watch.

I don't know about from the Islanders end, but I find that Ranger fans have less animosity towards Islander fans than some other rivalries. Maybe its because Islander fans are friendlier, but I don't find the rivalry off ice to be as contentious as it might be on ice to the players.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Are Sorokin and Shesterkin returning to Russia in 2021? I'm confused here.

The better situation is that which provides best opportunities for years ahead, not just next year.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't know about from the Islanders end, but I find that Ranger fans have less animosity towards Islander fans than some other rivalries. Maybe its because Islander fans are friendlier, but I don't find the rivalry off ice to be as contentious as it might be on ice to the players.
Probably because it's been a long, long time since both teams were good at the same time. From 78-94 it was pretty brutal. Even when either team had a down year they were still feeding off the hate from the years prior.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Weird how things workout. Varly and Sorokin are now teammates with the isles and Sorokin has a great goalie coach in Mitch Korn.
Mitch Korn was one of the best things that's every happened to the Islanders in the last 2 decades. I know a lot of people praise Lou and Trotz (and they should), but for my adding Mitch Korn is one of the most underrated moves that has really advanced them.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Mitch Korn was one of the best things that's every happened to the Islanders in the last 2 decades. I know a lot of people praise Lou and Trotz (and they should), but for my adding Mitch Korn is one of the most underrated moves that has really advanced them.

they’re all great moves. Korn working with young goalies is such a huge advantage. Can’t wait to see how he helps development Sorokin to North America.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Shesterkin = Lundqvist
Sorokin = Nabokov

Can't really go wrong.
I still prefer Shesty.

I still don't think either guy is better than Carter Hart, and I think Thatcher Demko is right up there with these Russians.
They're all fabulous goaltenders.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Probably because it's been a long, long time since both teams were good at the same time. From 78-94 it was pretty brutal. Even when either team had a down year they were still feeding off the hate from the years prior.
yeah, and the two teams have not met in the playoffs since 1994.

Don't get it twisted though, the rivalry is still strong. Especially among the old timers.

Regular season matchups between the teams get heated, much more than between the Rangers and Devils lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad