Value of: Soon to be FA, Tony Deangelo

Would you want your team to sign DeAngelo on a 1 year, league mimimum deal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The problem with Tony isn’t just the last incident. He’s had a history that goes back to junior. Repeatedly shot himself in the foot over and over. To expect anything different from him in the future would be foolish. He is what he is. His own worst enemy.

I would find it Karma if he signs in Europe and does not have an NHL career anymore. But we know, some desperate stupid GM will give him a chance

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
He will be in the NHL next year Quarterbacking a PP. The fans will love his skating and offensive creativity from the Blueline. Fans will be saying I can’t believe we got this guy so cheap. He will still make defensive blunders that will put him in the doghouse from time to time.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Something screams Pittsburgh to me. He’d probably put up a ton of points then get paid. I could see him signing a deal along the lines of 1 year / 1 million and Sullivan/Sid would likely keep him in check.

Obviously, I don’t know ADA personally but I think the stories have taken on a life of their own. I do think he signed the two year deal with NYR and it went to his head though. It’s a shame... ton of offensive ability and plays with an edge. With that said, I can’t believe the amount of people who just flatly and confidently call him a racist. When you ask why it goes back to some unknown comment made by a teenager 10 years ago.

Reactions: VijayPatel11

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
OT, but the main problem with Subban is his back injuries, which he didn't have in Montreal.
plus he liked being the center of attention. like every minute of every day of every month . no one liked the attention more . that's what wore on teammates and led to his departure

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I absolutely think, scratch that know, tons of black hockey players turn a blind eye to covert or obvious racism in the sport for fear of the pack of white boys turning on them. My point is saying "he has a black friend!" isn't proof of anything

Never claimed it was proof of anything.

While I can see what you're getting at at lower levels of hockey, it just doesn't add up that these famous black NHLer's would still play along and turn a blind eye to any type of racism on DeAngelo's part because of the "fear of the pack of white boys turning on them". If they actually thought he was a racist, I doubt they would still be friends with him. If you could actually point to any examples of DeAngelo acting in a racist manner I'd also be curious to hear about it - for all those claiming he's a racist, it appears to be based on mostly a hunch (maybe because many think he's an asshole, so saying he's a racist asshole isn't as much of a stretch) rather than any actual evidence.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think hes best suited for fringe playoff teams, especially ones that may be a bit older with their core.

If you're a true cup contender you dont risk him ruining that dressing room and causing drama.

If you're a young team with no asperations then you dont risk him influencing your young guys.

Reactions: NoQuitInNewMexico

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
One year at league minimum.... sign me up.

Weber, Petry, Edmunston, Chariot is a good veteran core on the back end. Price, Gallagher, possibly Perry again for more leadership. On a one year contract I would absolutely sign him. Especially at league minimum. He would have a one strike rule though. One strike and you are told to sit out like the Rangers did. Very minimal risk / potentially high reward.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well it’s easy to see Subban is a fake person and weird. DeAngelo just gives off Frat boy vibes. Seems immature compared to a self absorbed Subban. I’ve never heard of any teammates saying anything good about Subban.
To me DeAngelo comes across as a dumb headcase with anger management problems who couldn’t his job in the NHL despite scoring a lot of points in his last full season and who will end up costing his team a lot money in the eventual buyout. And someone who got three chances in the NHL, which is probably enough chances.

And I’m sure talk a lot to many of Subban’s teammates and your opinions of him are well -substantiated.
E7706CB0-852F-48FC-8091-6A4C367D45AE.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't mind a player who happens to have political views wildly different from mine. To each their own and so forth.

What D'Angelo did was push his political (or societal) views. That's why they are in the discussion.

Much better if hockey players just stick to hockey. That's what they know well.

Otherwise he seems to be a pluperfect asshole so I don't think he has been wronged that much, but (I agree) his views and convictions shouldn't count. But he did that to himself.

What your thoughts on the cancelled playoff games last season?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
To me DeAngelo comes across as a dumb headcase with anger management problems who couldn’t his job in the NHL despite scoring a lot of points in his last full season and who will end up costing his team a lot money in the eventual buyout. And someone who got three chances in the NHL, which is probably enough chances.

And I’m sure talk a lot to many of Subban’s teammates and your opinions of him are well -substantiated.
View attachment 435309
Yeah you can easily see it like I said there has never been a teammate that has said anything good about Subban.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Hell no, they should not.
No interest in him at all.

The only teams that could survive having a pos like him on their roster is a big market team, where winning is all that matters and player character isn’t as big a deal. Small market teams could never survive it.
His best fits are Toronto, Montreal, Boston, LA, maybe Tampa or Vegas

I would think a small market team would be better at keeping his attitude in check. If he does sign a one year, low AAV contract, he should be extremely motivated to behave himself if he wants to cash in.

I think it’s a good risk. I don’t think he would corrupt the players n the Jets at all. If he is a problem, he’s easily buried with negligible salary cap ramifications.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah you can easily see it like I said there has never been a teammate that has said anything good about Subban.
That’s actually not remotely true, but I’m not debating you because what you’re saying is absurd. I’m not going to research and pull quotes for this because this isn’t worth that kind of time.

I just happen to have that picture handy. It’s as much proof as the “funniest teammate” in the Rangers PR video. But you go ahead and think you know DeAngelo on a personal level.

I know his work record and that’s what’s being discussed when someone asks if you would hypothetically want him on your team next.

He himself admitted being “uncoachable” in Tampa. Arizona dumped at the 2017 NHL draft after getting suckered into trading for him at 2016 NHL draft for a 2nd (#37, ironically Libor Hájek). That was after being the 14OA in 2014.

For a guy that scores a lot points (and apparently cut up in the locker room), the Rangers have been pretty unenthusiastic about him. They gave him a one year contract in 2019. And it was reported that they tried move him before giving him his current two year deal. And it was also reported that he was on his best behavior... until signed that two year deal. He probably assumed that the Rangers were stuck with him at that point and he was wrong.

Maybe a team will pick ADA off the dumpster and you can paint that as a redemption arc.

But randomly picking Subban and saying he’s a worse person because because of the vibes you pick off or whatever is at best... weird? Subban got shipped out the hothouse drama of Montreal. He got traded from Nashville because injuries/decline and a massive contract have rendered him overpaid, and they have a lot of affordable elite defense and needed the cap space to add Duchene to their growing collection of overpriced, underachieving centers. Subban was never publicly called out by employers for being an asshole however, which is something that happens to ADA. We leads me to believe he’s an asshole.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
That’s actually not remotely true, but I’m not debating you because what you’re saying is absurd. I’m not going to research and pull quotes for this because this isn’t worth that kind of time.

I just happen to have that picture handy. It’s as much proof as the “funniest teammate” in the Rangers PR video. But you go ahead and think you know DeAngelo on a personal level.

I know his work record and that’s what’s being discussed when someone asks if you would hypothetically want him on your team next.

He himself admitted being “uncoachable” in Tampa. Arizona dumped at the 2017 NHL draft after getting suckered into trading for him at 2016 NHL draft for a 2nd (#37, ironically Libor Hájek). That was after being the 14OA in 2014.

For a guy that scores a lot points (and apparently cut up in the locker room), the Rangers have been pretty unenthusiastic about him. They gave him a one year contract in 2019. And it was reported that they tried move him before giving him his current two year deal. And it was also reported that he was on his best behavior... until signed that two year deal. He probably assumed that the Rangers were stuck with him at that point and he was wrong.

Maybe a team will pick ADA off the dumpster and you can paint that as a redemption arc.

But randomly picking Subban and saying he’s a worse person because because of the vibes you pick off or whatever is at best... weird? Subban got shipped out the hothouse drama of Montreal. He got traded from Nashville because injuries/decline and a massive contract have rendered him overpaid, and they have a lot of affordable elite defense and needed the cap space to add Duchene to their growing collection of overpriced, underachieving centers. Subban was never publicly called out by employers for being an asshole however, which is something that happens to ADA. We leads me to believe he’s an asshole.
I’m not saying Anthony DeAngelo isn’t a Ahole to a lot of people but what I am saying is I’d rather have someone on my team that picks on the rookies then someone who sucks up to the coaches, Media, etc and constantly seeks the spotlight.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The only Playoff games that DeAngelo ever played he was absolutely humiliated defensively. Maybe some bottom-barrel team will take a chance on him, but no Playoff team will want anything to do with him. He is ECHL-level defensively once the pressure gets ratcheted up. And given his propensity as a hothead getting embarrassed repeatedly inevitably leads to penalties.

Reactions: Mandar

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I absolutely think, scratch that know, tons of black hockey players turn a blind eye to covert or obvious racism in the sport for fear of the pack of white boys turning on them. My point is saying "he has a black friend!" isn't proof of anything

So call him a racist? Show me proof of this

Reactions: HBK27

Spargon

May 31, 2019
He will be in the NHL next year Quarterbacking a PP. The fans will love his skating and offensive creativity from the Blueline. Fans will be saying I can’t believe we got this guy so cheap. He will still make defensive blunders that will put him in the doghouse from time to time.

Then he will do something else stupid and those same fans will go "oh right thats why we got him so cheap"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad