Sony releasing PS1 Classic in time for Christmas

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
May buy one. Hopefully they are in short supply so I can resell on Ebay and make a good profit.

Because I honestly have no interest in the games on the PS1 classic.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't think this will hit the same fervor as the NES and SNES classics did, certainty not with that line up. If you're looking to flip it, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a high return.

Reactions: Supermassive

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'll only get this is there's a bunch of extra space to hack with. I'd want enough to have at least 60+ games.

I have the NES Classic and SNES Classic and have approximately 120 games on both after hacking and its fantastic.

I already had a mini windows 10 PC set-up with Launchbox and adapters for the real controllers, but even though with that beautiful set-up, the nostalgia I get from clicking on the Super Nintendo power button is unmatched!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'll only get this is there's a bunch of extra space to hack with. I'd want enough to have at least 60+ games.

I have the NES Classic and SNES Classic and have approximately 120 games on both after hacking and its fantastic.

I already had a mini windows 10 PC set-up with Launchbox and adapters for the real controllers, but even though with that beautiful set-up, the nostalgia I get from clicking on the Super Nintendo power button is unmatched!

Problem in this case is that you'd also have to find a way to get a dual analog controller working for a lot of games that would be worth hacking onto it. At that point you may as well just stick to PC emulation.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Now, Sony dropped the PS1 Classic price to $59.99 at several big name stores

Sounds like sales aren't great, but with that list of games I don't know how you can blame the consumer.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
May buy one. Hopefully they are in short supply so I can resell on Ebay and make a good profit.

Because I honestly have no interest in the games on the PS1 classic.

Now, Sony dropped the PS1 Classic price to $59.99 at several big name stores

Sounds like sales aren't great, but with that list of games I don't know how you can blame the consumer.

Yeah glad I didn't buy one!

Kind of a d**k move by sony to drop the price literally the day after Christmas. I hope people who got them for X-mas return them and repurchase if they really want it or at least go get a price adjustment.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
This thing was a shitshow from the start, whoever was in charge of the project should be fired. They should've done one of two ways...either double the amount of games and leave it the same price, or if 20 titles was the limit, break it up into genres i.e. adventure pack, rpg pack, racing pack etc, maybe make the cases genre specific or something.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am sort of glad to see this was a total commercial failure.

Sometimes it feels like nostalgia alone can carry certain products, and that's not great for an industry that is all about pushing boundaries.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The limit of 20 games without the possibility to change the line up or add more is a huge joke. Memory has never been cheaper and old PS1 games that barely take any space by today's standards should allow for some good flexibility. Very happy that their greed did them in on this project.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Nearest Wal-Mart on boxing day had a cabinet full of em. My friend who works at EB says they aren't selling at all.

:thumbu:

What a piece of garbage. Glad the market has responded accordingly.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
A deserved failure.

I'm still apoplectic about Rainbow Six being on that game list, rather than a game that literally anyone would want to play on the PlayStation.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I feel like they could have made more money if they offered some of these games, especially the big ones (the original PS was a beast), if they just offered them up for $7.99 a pop or the equivalent in Euros or Aussie dollars or yen, as one time own-to-keep downloads (not that wack PSnow 'rent it' shit) and made a system update with a folder for old games included similar to what the PS3 did instead of having to manufacture and market a new but old console.

I would have been balls deep in any reissue of almost any PSX Squaresoft game.

But I'm just the consumer, what do I know?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Nearest Wal-Mart on boxing day had a cabinet full of em. My friend who works at EB says they aren't selling at all.

:thumbu:

What a piece of garbage. Glad the market has responded accordingly.
This is a great example of consumers collectively telling a company to f*** off lol.

I feel bad for my mom, I hope she didn’t realize I was pretending to be excited when I opened it. Didn’t have the heart to tell her I still have hard copies of every game on the system that I care to play and that I was actively not buying this to give the middle finger to Sony. :/

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
What was the benefit of this thing?

I could go into a store like Game City and buy a used but functioning PS1 for less than that launch price. It would also play every PS1 game out there, which could be found cheaply at similar stores, eBay or flea markets. And that's assuming I have any desire to play my old PS1 games, and well, I don't.

Sometimes things are best left in the past and memories. This isn't something with Super Mario, which is timeless.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

I could go into a store like Game City and buy a used but functioning PS1 for less than that launch price. It would also play every PS1 game out there, which could be found cheaply at similar stores, eBay or flea markets. And that's assuming I have any desire to play my old PS1 games, and well, I don't.

Sometimes things are best left in the past and memories. This isn't something with Super Mario, which is timeless.
Sony trying another route to cash in on nostalgia. That's literally the only benefit. For someone that doesn't know anything about emulators it's a good item.

I love playing the old games, but The only reason I have a PS classic is because my mom got it for me as a gift.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

There are a handful of legitimately strong and timeless games on the PS1, Final Fantasy Tactics and Symphony of the Night being pretty big ones that hold up well.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
There are a handful of legitimately strong and timeless games on the PS1, Final Fantasy Tactics and Symphony of the Night being pretty big ones that hold up well.
SotN being excluded from this console makes me wonder if they're going to be doing a re-master of it sometime soon.

I surmise that they have intentionally left certain titles off of the console to leave them open for re-masters. No one would buy a $20 re-master of games like SotN, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tony Hawk, or Tomb Raider if they were available on the PS Classic.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
SotN being excluded from this console makes me wonder if they're going to be doing a re-master of it sometime soon.

I surmise that they have intentionally left certain titles off of the console to leave them open for re-masters. No one would buy a $20 re-master of games like SotN, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tony Hawk, or Tomb Raider if they were available on the PS Classic.
If it was the only glaring thing missing, I think you would be onto something, but the selection of the PS Classic is so bad and confusing that I'm not sure conclusions can be drawn about why specific games were excluded either way, personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad