Sony releasing PS1 Classic in time for Christmas

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Shame they’ve only announced 5;

I want Abes Odyssey, Mickey Mouse, Crash Bandicoot, Driver, and GTA2.

But that’s just me.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am assuming that there wont be any games outside of 1996-1999ish. No analog sticks on the controller probably limits the catalog.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Crash Team Racing and Twisted Metal Small brawl please. No idea how popular those games were but I loved them as a kid.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
While the mini idea was neat for the NES and SNES consoles due to their age and nostalgia factors, this seems like a bit much.

For $100 (or less) I'd wager you could find a used PS1 with the proper analog controllers and pick up a few of the games you'd wanna play. Instead of being preloaded with a bunch of crap.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
So I still have my original PSone slim and an original controller (though no games sadly). I use it as a CD player cos I'm too broke to get a stereo and apparently it has a very good DAC (audio sound quality chip).

What I don't understand is....why wouldn't someone just buy a regular used PS1 instead of paying $100+tax for this? The regular PS1 can also be modded quite easily from what I understand. And not only that but a PS3 can play PS1 games.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well it seems to be selling like hot cakes...in Canada anyway.

My buddy wants one and it's apparently sold out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I have a feeling that the only games I'll actually want to play on this thing have been re-released in a myriad of other ways (such as FFVII being playable on no fewer than four pieces of hardware that I own) and the decision to go with the original controller is...baffling. It's undoubtedly cheaper to produce...but f*** those original controllers, they're useless for 3D games and were rightly forgotten almost as soon as the Dual Shock controllers came out. That decision should cost them some sales.

I'll wait and see with the other games before I make up my mind here, but there's going to need to be some special games on that list. I'm not impressed by the five games listed so far.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well it seems to be selling like hot cakes...in Canada anyway.

My buddy wants one and it's apparently sold out.
Doubt it. Each store is only probably getting a handful to sell like Nintendo did, so they might have only pre ordered 10.

They haven't even released a lineup of the other games that are in it which will probably be sub par since we see what their featured games are.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Doubt it. Each store is only probably getting a handful to sell like Nintendo did, so they might have only pre ordered 10.

They haven't even released a lineup of the other games that are in it which will probably be sub par since we see what their featured games are.

I was talking online, but it looks like they are back up.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I agree. I doubt we're going to see Crash or Spyro, thanks to the re-masters.

Resident evil is getting re-masters so we likely won't see any of those games.

I will be surprised if we see any more than one, mayyyybe 2 more big jRPG's on the list, as FF7 is already on there.

Some ideal additions to the list for me would be:

Chrono Cross/Trigger
Vagrant Story
FF Tactics
Metal Gear Solid 1
Spyro The Dragon
Crash Bandicoot / Crash Team Racing
Tomb Raider
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey
Twisted Metal 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1 or 2)
Mega Man x4
LSD : Dream Creator
Rampage: World Tour
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Driver
Street Fighter Alpha 3

I would include Ape Escape as well, however it will not be possible without Dualshock capability. If Sony doesn't ship the console with Dual Shock controllers Ape Escape will be impossible.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Heck, I've still got my original PS1 sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Not sure where all my games went, still have FFVII and Tomb Raider II though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not interested. Seems kind of half-*ssed and PSX era is hit or miss for me in general (despise the inferior 3D takeover from that era), so a lot of the selections they go with aren't going to be good games, in my eyes. I suspect that you won't be able to add anything from the PSX library as easily as you can with the SNES Classic, either.

This would be my personal selection:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
3. Vampire Savior
4. Suikoden II
5. Final Fantasy IX
6. Tactics Ogre
7. Final Fantasy VII
8. Vagrant Story
9. Street Fighter Alpha 3
10. Suikoden
--
11. Umihara Kawase Shun
12. Metal Gear Solid
13. Final Fantasy VIII
14. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
15. Legend of Mana
16. Klonoa
17. Dodonpachi
18. Chrono Cross
19. Megaman X4
20. Alundra

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Crash Team Racing and Twisted Metal Small brawl please. No idea how popular those games were but I loved them as a kid.

No chance. Twisted Metal 2 was the pinnacle of that series for PS1.

Twisted Metal 3 and 4 nearly killed that series for good. And if it that game you mentioned was behind the past two incarnations I mentioned...hell no

More importantly, as someone who still owns a non-slimline PS2, can't you play just about every PS1 game on that system?

All I had left were Twisted Metal and Twisted Metal 2. Both which were fine. I passed on the SNES Classic and I'll be passing on this at that price. In addition, releasing only five games seems a bit suspect. But nostalgia sells and I don't blame them for cashing in.

Hence why I'll still pick up the NES Classic eventually

Reactions: McRpro

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
While the mini idea was neat for the NES and SNES consoles due to their age and nostalgia factors, this seems like a bit much.

For $100 (or less) I'd wager you could find a used PS1 with the proper analog controllers and pick up a few of the games you'd wanna play. Instead of being preloaded with a bunch of crap.

PS1 games are getting up there in price again because they are now "Collector items."

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am actually kind of likely to buy this if only so I can have a miniature Playstation knocking about.

I really didn't care for many early PSX games.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
No chance. Twisted Metal 2 was the pinnacle of that series for PS1.

Twisted Metal 3 and 4 nearly killed that series for good. And if it that game you mentioned was behind the past two incarnations I mentioned...hell no

More importantly, as someone who still owns a non-slimline PS2, can't you play just about every PS1 game on that system?

All I had left were Twisted Metal and Twisted Metal 2. Both which were fine. I passed on the SNES Classic and I'll be passing on this at that price. In addition, releasing only five games seems a bit suspect. But nostalgia sells and I don't blame them for cashing in.

Hence why I'll still pick up the NES Classic eventually
It was trash just like 3 & 4 were.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
My rule is if I ever bought either the system or the games with my own money, I refuse to allow them to be described as nostalgic.

However, old me sort of wish I still had my NES cart boxes, my Volton, Legos, He-Man, Transformers too...but the PS is a little over 20 years old, just doesn't have the same grip for me as NES games. Not to mention 1st gen 3D consoles don't look that good now. Spite based games are a different animal.

I still have my PS, Christmas present from 1995?...modded, 1st model with RCA connectors too. But about half my games wound up being rips from Blockbuster so...

My Negcon is wonky though, and that makes the Wipeout series an absolute bear to play without.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad