Sony PS4 #9: Your Exclusive Home for Exclusives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm not trying to make it a bash MS thing with this post, but holy hell is MS in trouble when it comes to exclusives. How many exclusives/console exclusives have come out for that system in the same amount of time? Halo Wars 2? Anything else?

Generally speaking I have no time for console wars, my preferred console has jumped around generation-to-generation and generally I find brand-loyalty to be an absurd concept...but I haven't even turned my Xbone on since I last played Madden in early January, and I don't know when it'll be turned on again. After years of general indifference towards exclusives in this generation, Sony is ****ing killing it right now while Microsoft's hands are in their pockets. Hell, I'd be somewhat excited about the Scorpio if not for the fact that I have a gaming PC and they're releasing their games on the PC alongside the Xbone...so as of right now I'm not seeing much of any reason to purchase it. Hell, I'm still pissed off at Sony half-assing the PS4 Pro, but there's still a better reason for that to exist than the Scorpio unless Microsoft is going to reverse their PC push.

The Xbone is a solid machine...but Microsoft completely ****ed up the messaging at first and has failed to deliver on the games front. It's frustrating, but companies just can't seem to stay on top for too long without getting too cocky/arrogant for their own good. When you try to dictate the market instead of going along with it, you're going to eat pavement. Atari ate it for a complete lack of quality control, Sega did for rushing the Saturn out before retailers were ready (and in general just releasing way too much hardware in the mid-90s), Sony did for the disastrous PS3 reveal, Nintendo did for the marketing disaster that was the Wii U, and Microsoft is now. I'd say they'd recover...but if all they're going to view the Xbox line as a feature-bare gaming PC to be played on the couch I'm not sure there's much of a future for them in the console business. They bet hard on console gaming changing drastically and, at least in my opinion, it really hasn't. They need to figure out what they want to be in the future, because what they're doing presently isn't working.

Competition is a good thing, it pushes everyone to do better. I want to see Microsoft rebound...but man is that brand in rough shape right now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm not trying to make it a bash MS thing with this post, but holy hell is MS in trouble when it comes to exclusives. How many exclusives/console exclusives have come out for that system in the same amount of time? Halo Wars 2? Anything else?

That's pretty much it. If you want you could go back to October for gears of war 4. Aaaand I think that's it

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I believe they're saving it for Scorpio but the only game I've seen that they pushed back is crackdown. The other one, scale bound, they cancelled.

E3 is gonna be big for Microsoft.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The niche that Japanese developers were filling has gone back up after dipping in the 360/PS3 era. Those games were still there on the PS3, but the PlayStation being dominant again means a larger install base, which means more incentive for Japanese devs to invest in games for that market.

The bridge between MS and Japan was burned last generation because they were content with the 360 being carried by the west. They ****ed up and lost that market, and even if they still had it I still think they would need some good, new stuff, with Halo and Gears on the decline.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I bought a 360 simply for Mass Effect and didn't regret it. It was an excellent supplement to my PS3.

Bought an XB1 and while GWG and EA Access are great services I just let them both die. I keep intending to use it for it's backwards compatibility which is awesome but then I never do. Don't think I've turned it on in 6 months.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Generally speaking I have no time for console wars, my preferred console has jumped around generation-to-generation and generally I find brand-loyalty to be an absurd concept...but I haven't even turned my Xbone on since I last played Madden in early January, and I don't know when it'll be turned on again. After years of general indifference towards exclusives in this generation, Sony is ****ing killing it right now while Microsoft's hands are in their pockets. Hell, I'd be somewhat excited about the Scorpio if not for the fact that I have a gaming PC and they're releasing their games on the PC alongside the Xbone...so as of right now I'm not seeing much of any reason to purchase it. Hell, I'm still pissed off at Sony half-assing the PS4 Pro, but there's still a better reason for that to exist than the Scorpio unless Microsoft is going to reverse their PC push.

The Xbone is a solid machine...but Microsoft completely ****ed up the messaging at first and has failed to deliver on the games front. It's frustrating, but companies just can't seem to stay on top for too long without getting too cocky/arrogant for their own good. When you try to dictate the market instead of going along with it, you're going to eat pavement. Atari ate it for a complete lack of quality control, Sega did for rushing the Saturn out before retailers were ready (and in general just releasing way too much hardware in the mid-90s), Sony did for the disastrous PS3 reveal, Nintendo did for the marketing disaster that was the Wii U, and Microsoft is now. I'd say they'd recover...but if all they're going to view the Xbox line as a feature-bare gaming PC to be played on the couch I'm not sure there's much of a future for them in the console business. They bet hard on console gaming changing drastically and, at least in my opinion, it really hasn't. They need to figure out what they want to be in the future, because what they're doing presently isn't working.

Competition is a good thing, it pushes everyone to do better. I want to see Microsoft rebound...but man is that brand in rough shape right now.

i disagree that the "brand" is in bad shape, the market doesnt think so either considering its close to its 52 week high.

honestly microsoft is making some really impressive stuff right now, maybe not so much on their xbone side. They've already lost the console war, 2017 has been an amazing year for PS4

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
I bought a 360 simply for Mass Effect and didn't regret it. It was an excellent supplement to my PS3.

Bought an XB1 and while GWG and EA Access are great services I just let them both die. I keep intending to use it for it's backwards compatibility which is awesome but then I never do. Don't think I've turned it on in 6 months.

I predicted backwards compatibility wouldn't be much of a console seller a while back, and took a lot of grief for it. Sony already discovered this last generation, and removed it from the PS3 early on to reduce cost, because it wasn't adding enough of a value proposition to the system.

It's something that sounds great on paper, but doesn't actually get used much, if at all. People tend to like to play new games on their new console. Not constantly revisit old games they've already played on the last console. Unless you're talking novelty-type stuff, like old arcade games or retro console games.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I'm really impressed with how approachable both Nier Automata and Persona 5 look. Hoping to grab Neir very soon and Persona after I get back from Fiji in May.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
VG 24/7 has Persona 5 as the best JRPG in over a decade... Its shipping and coming for me!

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Atlus games in general would have been hard to have a midnight launch for anyways, since they'd always show up a week late. Got a call about my P5 this afternoon and it'll be the first time a Persona pre-order is available on release day.

Need to finish this second Nier play through by Tuesday I guess.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
C8cXNJcV0AE-78I.jpg

We almost there, boys.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
f3up3k.png

Obviously wayyy to early, but P5 stands 3rd of all time score wise for PS4

And the first two games are both remasters of PS3 classics.

I know P5 is on the PS3 as well, but it feels different given that it's not a remaster and has a concurrent release date with the PS4 version.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Isn't persona wasn't persona 5 originally a ps3 exclusive?

Initially yes, but that was eons ago. No doubt the biggest reason the game took so long to come out after an initial Winter 2014 release date was the change in hardware. Wisely so...if it was a PS3 exclusive they'd have face-planted in the west. I have no doubt a big part of the reason why Persona 4 took so long to catch on in the west (read: the Vita enhanced port) was that it was a PS2 exclusive released in December 2008...roughly a year and a half after my PS2 was mothballed.

Last edited:

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Initially yes, but that was eons ago. No doubt the biggest reason the game took so long to come out after an initial Winter 2014 release date was the change in hardware. Wisely so...if it was a PS3 exclusive they'd have face-planted in the west. I have no doubt a big part of the reason why Persona 4 took so long to catch on in the west (read: the Vita enhanced port) was that it was a PS2 exclusive released in December 2008...roughly a year and a half after my PS2 was mothballed.

Reminds me too much of GRID Autosport coming out in the death throes of the PS3 when it could have been released as a launch or very early PS4 title.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
It's not Madden, Halo or COD. It will never had a midnight launch. I remember piggybacking off of a midnight launch of Madden to get Guild Wars 2 :laugh:.

Atlus games in general would have been hard to have a midnight launch for anyways, since they'd always show up a week late. Got a call about my P5 this afternoon and it'll be the first time a Persona pre-order is available on release day.

Need to finish this second Nier play through by Tuesday I guess.

I don't know if either of you had it pre-ordered through GameStop or not, but they apparently are having a launch for it tonight after all. I just got a text message saying it would be available tonight and even called the store to double check and they confirmed it.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I wouldn't play it until the Japanese VO DLC hits the store, which probably won't be until tomorrow afternoon anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad