News Article: Son of Canucks GM Jim Benning attacked outside Yaletown nightspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
It seriously isn't difficult to tell a Persian person apart from people of other nationalities, particularly if you are familiar with folks of Persian descent. Anybody who has lived on the North Shore for a while encounters the Persian community there often, where there are several stores in the Lonsdale area run by Iranian ex-pats, and some folks living in the lower Kingsway area may often encounter Persian folks, as well.

So you can easily at 2 AM leaving a pub.... differentiate between persian, iraqi, syria, italian, greek , south asian, males.... ?

Really ? Wow

Sounds racist to me. - article should have just refferred to them as 4 males.... WE are all CANUCKS/ Canadians...

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
So you can easily at 2 AM leaving a pub.... differentiate between persian, iraqi, syria, italian, greek , south asian, males.... ?

Really ? Wow

Sounds racist to me. - article should have just refferred to them as 4 males.... WE are all CANUCKS/ Canadians...

No, what's actually racist is not being able to tell between different nationalities because "they all look alike."

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Really ? Wow

I disagree. And so do the cops. They want as much as detail as possible when it comes to suspects. Clothing, skin colour, accent, anything that helps them shrink the suspect pool. If Benning's daughter was sure of her assessment of the four men, she should be as specific as possible.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
I disagree. And so do the cops. They want as much as detail as possible when it comes to suspects. Clothing, skin colour, accent, anything that helps them shrink the suspect pool. If Benning's daughter was sure of her assessment of the four men, she should be as specific as possible.

Sadly the article did not mention clothing, skin colour , accent or anything else...
Article only mentioned ethnicity which could have easily been mistaken.

Police need to be better than this.

Next week i wonder if a crime will be describe as 4 Canadians from Scottish decent... based on their looks.....

=racism.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Got sucker-punched in the back of the head a little while back while walking down the Granville Strip and flirting with a chick.

Turns out it was this Persian guy's GF that I was flirting with (she was returning the favour) so he and his buddies didn't take kindly to it and thought it would be a good idea to teach me a lesson.

Luckily for me the punch didn't knock me out so I was able to outrun them in a slight haze. If I'd been knocked unconscious I have no doubt in my mind they would've beaten the living sh** out of me while I lay there.

This is a horrible incident and those "guys" are a bunch of cowards who need to be in a group just to act tough.

I hope there is good security footage somewhere and they can get an ID on at least one of the suspects. There's a good chance these types of people are already in the system and might be recognizable to the police or a witness.

Regardless, I hope JB's son makes a speedy recovery.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Sadly the article did not mention clothing, skin colour , accent or anything else...

Next week i wonder if a crime will be describe as 4 Canadians from Scottish decent... based on their looks.....

=racism.
I’m sure the police report is more in-depth than the Province article.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Jim Weisbrod wasn't exactly well liked in his stint as an NBA GM. Fan comes from the word fanatic. Though this likely as a result of a bunch of drunk 'tough guys' looking to cause trouble.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

=racism.
You must have long arms to be able to reach that far.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
No shot anybody knew who he was

Anything around mainland & Granville is beyond violent

I mean that girl was beaten to death with high heels about 3 years ago on Granville

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Really ? Wow

=racism.

Which article did you read? The included social media post from the sister identifies them as 4 Persian males in their 30s. One wearing a leather jacket. That’s important info. If one was speaking with a Scottish accent that is important info too.

One doesn’t have to be flat out drunk leaving a place at 2. Have you never gone out with friends or family where one stopped drinking early?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Downtown has become a f***ing disgrace with asshats.

This isn’t anything hockey related.

Hope the kid is ok and they catch the f***ers.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Which article did you read? The included social media post from the sister identifies them as 4 Persian males in their 30s. One wearing a leather jacket. That’s important info. If one was speaking with a Scottish accent that is important info too.

One doesn’t have to be flat out drunk leaving a place at 2. Have you never gone out with friends or family where one stopped drinking early?

Describing Canadians by their family ethnicity.... just seems racist.

If my family is 4th generation from Italy..... you don't need to refer me in the paper as a guy with Italian ethnicity..... I am 100% Canadian.

We are all Canucks.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I wonder if Andrew Walker is bitter with the Vancouver market for the fact he lost his job because nobody here gave a shit about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad