GDT: Somethings A Bruin At Home - #5 // Bruins @ Oilers // Oct 18 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Burke on Oilers Now had some interesting comments today about NHL D Men and how long to know what you have with them:

Talon says it's about 3oo games and you know.
Quinn used to say about 400 games and then you know.
Burke thinks in today's NHL it's more like 240 games and you know what you have.

So looking at Oilers youngish D men and games played:
Larsson - 420 GP
Klefbom - 232 GP
Benning - 138 GP
Nurse - 201 GP

So Larsson probably is what he is at this point. Klefbom close to it or still has some time depending on if you trust Burke more or Talon. Nurse too surprisingly getting close to that 240 GP mark. And Benning technically has time to show more, but I for one have seen enough.
I thought we had something in Benning in playoff run. This loss of Sekera sucks. Didn’t he hurt the achellies tendon on the other leg from the knee injury?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Burke on Oilers Now had some interesting comments today about NHL D Men and how long to know what you have with them:

Talon says it's about 3oo games and you know.
Quinn used to say about 400 games and then you know.
Burke thinks in today's NHL it's more like 240 games and you know what you have.

So looking at Oilers youngish D men and games played:
Larsson - 420 GP
Klefbom - 232 GP
Benning - 138 GP
Nurse - 201 GP

So Larsson probably is what he is at this point. Klefbom close to it or still has some time depending on if you trust Burke more or Talon. Nurse too surprisingly getting close to that 240 GP mark. And Benning technically has time to show more, but I for one have seen enough.

Brian burke and Dale Tallon? I'm not sure I'd listen to either of those guys about the modern NHL. I think the way we think about d-men is going to change radically as the league continues to get faster and younger and more young dudes get opportunities out of the gate. I've long suspected the old bit of conventional wisdom that d-men take longer to develop is based mainly on d-men getting less opportunity early in their careers than forwards.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Brian burke and Dale Tallon? I'm not sure I'd listen to either of those guys about the modern NHL. I think the way we think about d-men is going to change radically as the league continues to get faster and younger and more young dudes get opportunities out of the gate. I've long suspected the old bit of conventional wisdom that d-men take longer to develop is based mainly on d-men getting less opportunity early in their careers than forwards.

Its a far more difficult position to play. I think that more than anything strongly supports the mindset that D take longer to develop.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Its a far more difficult position to play. I think that more than anything strongly supports the mindset that D take longer to develop.

Sure, but a lot of that comes with experience which young D just don't have the opportunity to acquire. So in a sense it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought we had something in Benning in playoff run. This loss of Sekera sucks. Didn’t he hurt the achellies tendon on the other leg from the knee injury?
Benning and Nurse were kind of in similar boats last year. 16-17 both had similar minutes and we were going to need them to excel for us to have success last year. We should be thankful that Nurse was able to actually do this and play 5 more minutes a night.

Perfect world both would've been sheltered last year and while Nurse was pretty good early on, he could've used that sheltering later in the year.

In Benning's case he just never really got going at all

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Pumped like the rest of us to finally see these forward lines start a game and hopefully play a full 60 mins together.

Every season the coach is trying to force lines to work instead of doing what is logical--finding chemistry and working with players strengths and weaknesses. Can we actually solidify our lines during preseason? At least it only took 3 and a half regular season games to take Lucic and Yamamoto out of the top 6, and unite Puljujarivi with Draisaitl... Although that was due to the heat he was feeling from the media and not a sudden stroke of insight.

Power play units still awful though. Basically it's McDavid scoring off the rush right now. McLellan simulated the Jets powerplay in practice, why not borrow from that. With the new assistant coaches why is our pp setup so shitty?

Great to see Bouchard back in but Benning isn't benched? Gravel would be a better option although admittedly not by a whole lot. D won't ever look good this season pending a miracle acquisition but with Chia still at the helm that is wishful thinking.

Go Oilers!

Reactions: Duke74

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Bring the hard work. No standing around. Skate. Forecheck hard.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Possibly. I think mistakes are magnified when you're a d-man. Forward makes a giveaway in the NZ or OZ and it will probably be bad but not fatal, a d-man makes a giveaway in the DZ and often it will end up in the net. Even a giveaway at the OZ blueline will lead to a breakaway for the opposition.

I remember people cursing out Petry, he got driven out of town/sold cheap by management, and he's turned out to be a pretty great d-man.

It's an interesting idea whether they really need to be sheltered more than forwards, or coaches just shelter them before because the public is more likely to jump on them.

Reactions: harpoon

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Anyone know if Benning is playing tonight? I feel like I know the answer but one can hope..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
TMac can do no right for a lot of posters. Objectivity isnt exactly a strong suit here.
Some people say hes stubborn...others might say he is patient. I am leaning to the latter considering how knee jerk reactions are the norm in these parts.

So I dont put a lot of stock in the so called majority opinion on here.
He deserves a lot of criticism but as the old saying goes,

"Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit".

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Is Talbot in? Wonder of Koskinen is going to start feeling like he's wasting a year of his career.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Kudos to the team for coming back last game. Can we get 3rd period Oilers for 3 periods?

Hopefully these new line combos payoff. And the third pairing isn't a tire fire.

If we get 3rd period oilers we're in great shape I think.
C'mon boys do me proud for once. :P

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like watching Russell because you can tell he has that offensive dman background in his game. I actually think he looks great handling the puck, and he'll hang on to it longer than most guys. I'm hoping being one of the only guys who can do that on the Oilers brings out a bit more of that side of his game. I'm not expecting him to score a lot or anything, just I like when he's handling the puck with more authority, instead of just banging the puck off the glass.

Reactions: RegDunlop and Ballz

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Is Talbot in? Wonder of Koskinen is going to start feeling like he's wasting a year of his career.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce