Speculation: Something is wrong with Matthews...

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Matthews has one of the hardest wrist shots in the league. I can't remember the last time I saw him fire one of those patented laser-like shots he's capable of. Last night he came over the blue line and shot a wrister with the same velocity I'd expect from Engvall (not picking on him he just has a weak shot). It' s been like this for a little while now so I wouldn't be surprised if he is experiencing some wrist related issues. The last time I saw these tame shots was when he first came back from surgery last year and had 10 or so games with little power behind his wristers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are you serious?

No one outside maybe Torts would do that. Also, they would know what is wrong.

As for your McDavid example, if he was struggling most people would consider him injured as his track record would lead to that conclusion.

People have down years. He just won the Hart and Lindsay and back to back Rockets.

You don't throw a guy under the bus for 20 games

He's also doing enough to help the team win while weathering massive injuries in November so you let it ride out.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It seems to me that his wrist or back or something is affecting his shot, and he is also biasing towards defence so he’s not getting the same clean looks.

He’s on track for over 30 goals, around 80 pts and leading the team in hits while getting Selke votes. Still very impressive.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
It seems to me that his wrist or back or something is affecting his shot, and he is also biasing towards defence so he’s not getting the same clean looks.

He’s on track for over 30 goals, around 80 pts and leading the team in hits while getting Selke votes. Still very impressive.
Our team is not hard to lead in hits... wich is pitiful. But I do like that he (34) is hitting 👍
And actually sandin leads 52 hits. Holl has 42 and mattjees has 41.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Meh he doesn’t look injured, he looks like he’s in his head. For the first time in his career he’s facing some adversity. He needs to battle through!

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
His play is, quite franlky, unacceptable.

There should be a f*** ton more heat on him.

He demanded McDavid money (when term is included). McDavid is pacing for 65 goals and 143 points. Matthews is pacing for 33 goals and 79 points.

I do NOT accept this. Keefe, Dubas, and Shanahan should be calling him out in the media.
How many leafs have gotten league MVP? However you cut it you're wrong.

Reactions: GBLeaf and Jojalu

Mar 26, 2010

He demanded McDavid money (when term is included). McDavid is pacing for 65 goals and 143 points. Matthews is pacing for 33 goals and 79 points.

I do NOT accept this. Keefe, Dubas, and Shanahan should be calling him out in the media.
He certainly is not the same player. Very strange.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matthews with 2 assists and a goal.

2 quality primary assists too .. feels like I've never seen such a player who is on a 40-goal, PPG pace look so invisible out there :laugh:

But seriously, back to back Rocket's and a Hart last year in conjunction with the playoff failures seems to have gotten into his head a bit. I'm sure he'll be fine. I don't think he has anything left to prove in the regular season, it's all about the playoffs.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Massive whiff on a gimme 2 on 1 with Marner against PITT. The million and oneth time it's happened this season. Definitely something off with him.
Ya and the 2 on 1 with Nylander, he lost the puck/didnt know what he wanted to do. He is invisible on the PP, its like he is a decoy, nothing is really going thru him. I think its a wrist issue and its not bothering him when he slaps the puck, I noticed his increased use of the slapshot this year. Something is bothering him when he goes full throttle on his wrist shot, imo.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
One issue Ive always noticed with Matthews is how passive his baseline is. Even tonight vs Pitt, he is on cruise control until something is happening with his linemates he kind of wakes up and starts hunting pucks, moving around the ice. He has no eagerness to his game at times.

Reactions: geo25

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
I'm trying to remember what game it was, maybe a month ago, where Matty took a hard crosscheck stick from someone in the side/ribs. You could tell it hurt him. (Anyone remember who that was?)
That was Jordie's brother, Jamie Benn.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

He's holding his stick too tight thinking about how much money he'll haul in as a UFA...I mean, he's bearing the weight of an imaginary brinks truck on his back...:sarcasm:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
BACK TO BACK ROCKET trophies. NHL MVP. TED LINDSAY. Voted the best player in the NHL by the hockey writers and the NHL players.

EXPECTATIONS MET!
The Lindsay to me is the biggest factor. Having his peers vote him as the games best means more than the reporters who vote

Reactions: 81Leafs50

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
He's holding his stick too tight thinking about how much money he'll haul in as a UFA...I mean, he's bearing the weight of an imaginary brinks truck on his back...:sarcasm:
Matthews has been there and done that.

The more logical explanation to describe the difference in production is that, yes, there is something wrong. Whether it's psychological (which can be every bit the encumbrance a physical injury can be) or physical or a combination, we don't know.

Or...Being two goals of the team lead in goals and three of the team lead in points, might mean he's actually working on other parts of the game. Might explain Bunting's offensive dip commensurate to his team lead in plus-minus (Again, it's worth noting Matthews is two off the team lead there as well).

An increase in salary is coming. But Matthews is already in rarified air. The pressure for more from wherever wouldn't be an albatross on his back. However, believing he has to leave Toronto to win might be a painful weight to carry.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
BACK TO BACK ROCKET trophies. NHL MVP. TED LINDSAY. Voted the best player in the NHL by the hockey writers and the NHL players.

EXPECTATIONS MET!
Who was complaining those years?

He's paid to do that EVERY year. MacDavid does it EVERY year. Matthews demanded to be paid the same as McDavid (when term is included) so he's always going to be held to that standard.

Sound unreasonable? Well, unreasonable contracts come with unreasonable expectations.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
he's putting some points together now but something's still off. What's weird is that its hard to spot what could be physically ailing him. It honestly looks like post concussion syndrome, the way he's bobbling everything and constantly on his ass this season. I can't recall a single borderline head injury in recent memory. Very strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad