Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We seem to have different recollections of the past as I recall people pining for there to be better options for LHD while Shattenkirk was still on the roster.
I have a similar recollection. That said, finding a second pairing lefty is far far easier than finding a true #1. Those are so rare that nobody should care what handedness one is if we’re able to get our hands on one. You take the elite player and then figure out the rest of the defense from there.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I'm encouraged that Vegas is leaning hard on McNabb (22 minutes a night) and leaving Hague out of the lineup. Who knows if there is some kind of injury helping make that decision, but McNabb is playing great as their #4. McNabb cementing himself as the #4 for next year (his final year under contract) would certainly make Hague a bit more expendable than if they were disappointed in McNabb and wanted the two of them to compete for that 2nd pair job in 2024/25 (with the loser hopefully being a good bottom pair option). And if their isn't a nagging injury to Hague, then it means he has been passed on the depth chart by Hutton as well and they will for sure want to move him.

McNabb excelling while Hague is in the press box certainly increases the odds of Hague becoming a cap casualty.

Hague's stock has continued to fall, but I still really like the idea of giving him a full year audition as a #4 D man next year (a season where I don't particularly care about the standings compared to long-term growth). The playoffs so far tell me that Vegas sees him as more expendable than I initially thought.
Hague played in Game 1 and then didn’t play the rest of the series. I’m fairly certain he got hurt. They would not be playing Ben Hutton over him in one of the games if he was available.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have a similar recollection. That said, finding a second pairing lefty is far far easier than finding a true #1. Those are so rare that nobody should care what handedness one is if we’re able to get our hands on one. You take the elite player and then figure out the rest of the defense from there.
Especially when right now, we more or less have a blank canvas to work with. Parayko and Leddy fill the short-term need of a good top 4 pair, and if Faulk bounces back we could have a 2nd good top 4 pair if you acquire a good LD. For the long-term, it's kind of just up to how Parayko ages, but besides that, it's pretty much a blank canvas. If we are confident that Jiricek has #1 D upside, and he's made available, it would be stupid not to go for him because we have Parayko on the roster and in the short-term, we are stronger on the right than the left.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'm encouraged that Vegas is leaning hard on McNabb (22 minutes a night) and leaving Hague out of the lineup. Who knows if there is some kind of injury helping make that decision, but McNabb is playing great as their #4. McNabb cementing himself as the #4 for next year (his final year under contract) would certainly make Hague a bit more expendable than if they were disappointed in McNabb and wanted the two of them to compete for that 2nd pair job in 2024/25 (with the loser hopefully being a good bottom pair option). And if their isn't a nagging injury to Hague, then it means he has been passed on the depth chart by Hutton as well and they will for sure want to move him.

McNabb excelling while Hague is in the press box certainly increases the odds of Hague becoming a cap casualty.

Hague's stock has continued to fall, but I still really like the idea of giving him a full year audition as a #4 D man next year (a season where I don't particularly care about the standings compared to long-term growth). The playoffs so far tell me that Vegas sees him as more expendable than I initially thought.
Hague was injured in Game 1. That's why Martinez came back into the lineup.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hague seems to be in a spot that Edmundson was in with us. It makes sense that he'd be available, I wouldn't mind getting him, but not sure how much value I'd give up to get him either.

Getting some youth added that has some amount of upside would be a nice thing though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I’d rather keep Kyrou and buy out Krug in another year. Marner will want 11 mill per year. No friggen way. He’s a defensive and playoff liability that’s worse than Kyrou.

Possible, but Dvorsky isn’t available for me.

I think you're getting caught up in either some recency bias or the media hype around his last few months...

Marner had some respectable Selke vote totals last year, in the Bergeron Selke domination era. To be in the top 3 finalists goes beyond a few Homer votes. He was 10th in 20-21, 16th in 21-22 Selke voting. Most years he finishes well ahead of Matthews in voting (which probably dilutes his vote totals with splits). That doesn't just disappear - Marner needs out of the media fishbowl and pressure cooker Toronto sports are. That shit doesn't come out of nowhere and it doesn't just vanish, it's far more likely that Marner had a bad year

Additionally, he played limited shifts on DEFENCE in the NHL without getting caved in this year (link below image)... Yes, it's against the Coyotes and a major Leafs roster composition flaw pre TDL - but it is also noteworthy they chose Marner to slot into the blue line, rather than a 4th liner.

Marner had his hissy fit in the spotlight with his glove throwing tantrum that saw spotlights in the media circuit - Tarasenko also had his moments here, but we're not a media darling (remember his spats with Hitchcock?). Our shenanigans seldomly hit the highlight reel, even during our prime with the exception of the Sanford Bortuzzo fight in the cup year.

I think the only portion of your post we can agree about is that Marner is going to want more on his next deal than we'd like to pay him to stay with us. He's a very talented player and he's been highly paid before, he's going to be asking for a raise and I don't think salary wise he's a good fit... But to suggest that he's a poor defensive player and thus a bad fit here is wrong.

He's also near a PPG in playoff point production which is also something that gets ignored when discussing the Leafs failures in the post season - Marner produces, but their line-up has lacked depth due to major roster construction flaws...

I think wherever Marner ends up if he's the one moved is going to be VERY VERY HAPPY about their acquisition.

FzlyDj2XwAAa_-R.png

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think you're getting caught up in either some recency bias or the media hype around his last few months...

Marner had some respectable Selke vote totals last year, in the Bergeron Selke domination era. To be in the top 3 finalists goes beyond a few Homer votes. He was 10th in 20-21, 16th in 21-22 Selke voting. Most years he finishes well ahead of Matthews in voting (which probably dilutes his vote totals with splits). That doesn't just disappear - Marner needs out of the media fishbowl and pressure cooker Toronto sports are. That shit doesn't come out of nowhere and it doesn't just vanish, it's far more likely that Marner had a bad year

Additionally, he played limited shifts on DEFENCE in the NHL without getting caved in this year (link below image)... Yes, it's against the Coyotes and a major Leafs roster composition flaw pre TDL - but it is also noteworthy they chose Marner to slot into the blue line, rather than a 4th liner.

Marner had his hissy fit in the spotlight with his glove throwing tantrum that saw spotlights in the media circuit - Tarasenko also had his moments here, but we're not a media darling (remember his spats with Hitchcock?). Our shenanigans seldomly hit the highlight reel, even during our prime with the exception of the Sanford Bortuzzo fight in the cup year.

I think the only portion of your post we can agree about is that Marner is going to want more on his next deal than we'd like to pay him to stay with us. He's a very talented player and he's been highly paid before, he's going to be asking for a raise and I don't think salary wise he's a good fit... But to suggest that he's a poor defensive player and thus a bad fit here is wrong.

He's also near a PPG in playoff point production which is also something that gets ignored when discussing the Leafs failures in the post season - Marner produces, but their line-up has lacked depth due to major roster construction flaws...

I think wherever Marner ends up if he's the one moved is going to be VERY VERY HAPPY about their acquisition.

View attachment 865813

Exactly. Marner is great player who should thrive outside of Toronto fishbowl. How physical was Gretzky or Yzerman or Kucherov or Kane? Not everyone needs to be physical force. But given his contract situation, it seems unlikely we are best fit for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfvega and TheDizee

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Where ever Marmer goes, he will be the highest paid player? Would you want him to be our highest paid player?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Marner brings good value depending on his contract. If he pushes for a Nylander deal or more, then it's a disaster, and I'd want no part. If he ends up with something in the Gaudreau range, I'd be interested in him as a Kyrou upgrade. There's just so much unknown with him. Does he want to maximize his contract or does he want to try and be on a team to build a winner? Would he extend to the place he is traded to, or does he want free agency? Is Toronto serious about a trade and what would they even want?

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
As for the series clinching goal where Marner lets Pasta in... I'm no hockey player or coach, so take this with a grain of salt. For what it's worth, I think the Marchand shift change in our game 7 win seems more egregious - and Marchand was rightfully lambasted for that, but he wasn't ostracized and run out of town. This has some PLD-esque shift change vibes to it, I think Marner had checked out after the hissy fit on the bench in game 4.

I watched the clip again several times - Marner hops on the ice and is watching the puck carrier. Pasta is at speed, circles around him and then cuts in wide after Marner attempts (and then gives up on closing on him) after a beautiful pass off the corner bounces out to Pasta.

What is Nylander supposed to be doing here? I've watched the clip repeatedly - he takes 1 stride and is literally coasting through the entire sequence after he enters his own zone. There is absolutely no way that upright posture is him attempting to engage or contribute to anything in the defensive scheme. Pasta may not be his responsibility, but that seems particularly out of place.

I'm not saying absolve Marner of the blame, but there's plenty that went wrong in this sequence and Boston executed really well.

Screenshot_20240506-093229.png
Screenshot_20240506-091703.png
Screenshot_20240506-091824.png
Screenshot_20240506-093326.png

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

View attachment 865813

Agreed and well put. Marner is a great player but he is overpaid. Not because he isn't great, I just don't think you should spend $10+m on a winger or non-franchise C/D. This playoffs show the problem with paying any player that much. Every player has cold stretches. When you invest so much in so few players, it really sinks you when those players go cold.

Also agree on the final play analysis. Marber just came off the bench on a change. He should have been hustling but it took a second to get his bearings. I think he was looking the other way when Pasta put the burners on. I'd be more upset with others if I am the Leafs. Not great for Marner. You want him coming onto the ice with more situational awareness and pepper. But not the worst offenders on the play.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I’d rather keep Kyrou and buy out Krug in another year. Marner will want 11 mill per year. No friggen way. He’s a defensive and playoff liability that’s worse than Kyrou.
There is plenty to criticize about Marner's game, expecially with the way it translates to the playoffs. And the lack of translating his success to the playoffs makes a compelling argument that he's not worth his current contract or whatever his next contract will be.

But I don't see how you could watch him play for any significant amount of games and come away believing he is a defensive liability. Taking every argument against him at its absolute furthest, he is still not remotely close to a defensive liability.

He also has 50 points in 57 playoff games (with a +10) and has played at a 90+ point pace in each of the last 6 seasons. I'm very far from a Kyrou hater, but on what planet is he 'worse than Kyrou?'

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Agreed and well put. Marner is a great player but he is overpaid. Not because he isn't great, I just don't think you should spend $10+m on a winger or non-franchise C/D. This playoffs show the problem with paying any player that much. Every player has cold stretches. When you invest so much in so few players, it really sinks you when those players go cold.
I think we've reached the tipping point in the cap that spending $10M+ on a winger is fine.

Vegas won a Cup with Stone making $9.5M through a flat cap.

Colorado won a Cup with Rants making $9.25M through the flat cap.

Tampa won both Cups with Kuch making $9.5M through the flat cap.

Florida got to the Final last year and is looking great this year with M Tkachuk making $9.5M.

The Stars have built a hell of a team with Benn/Seguin both making $9.5M through the flat cap. Both have a history at center and have taken a lot of draws, but are predominantly wingers this year (and very obviously aren't worth the AAVs).

The Rangers won the President's Trophy and haven't lost in the playoffs yet with Panarin making $11.6M.

With the cap finally starting to jump again, $10M has quickly become what $9M used to be. If it isn't there already, it will be in a year. The last 4 Cups have been awarded to a team with a very high paid winger and half the teams still alive have a very highly paid winger. From a pure roster/cap construction standpoint, I think there is a better argument that you need a stud winger than the argument against paying a stud winger his market value.

Now, I think that Marner will command too much north of $10M to be worth it. He very well might demand to be the highest paid winger in the game when he inks his next deal and I don't think he's worth that. But there is a number above $10M AAV where I'd be thrilled to have him as a Blue.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think we've reached the tipping point in the cap that spending $10M+ on a winger is fine.

Florida got to the Final last year and is looking great this year with M Tkachuk making $9.5M.

The Stars have built a hell of a team with Benn/Seguin both making $9.5M through the flat cap. Both have a history at center and have taken a lot of draws, but are predominantly wingers this year (and very obviously aren't worth the AAVs).

The Rangers won the President's Trophy and haven't lost in the playoffs yet with Panarin making $11.6M.

With the cap finally starting to jump again, $10M has quickly become what $9M used to be. If it isn't there already, it will be in a year. The last 4 Cups have been awarded to a team with a very high paid winger and half the teams still alive have a very highly paid winger. From a pure roster/cap construction standpoint, I think there is a better argument that you need a stud winger than the argument against paying a stud winger his market value.

Now, I think that Marner will command too much north of $10M to be worth it. He very well might demand to be the highest paid winger in the game when he inks his next deal and I don't think he's worth that. But there is a number above $10M AAV where I'd be thrilled to have him as a Blue.
Yeah. At a minimum, he'll push for Nylander's deal, and more likely, he'll push for 12M. If he'd accept 10ishM, I'd absolutely take him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

None of those players that won you named made $10M+. Kucherov and stone both made use of LTIR to sign deadline deals, so their full cap hit wasn't counted against the cap. We'll see on Panarin. I don't think NYR have it this year but I could be wrong.

Even if that number moves past $10 for a top 5 winger, I think Marner us a step below Kucherov, Pasta, Pabarin and Tkachuk. And he will probably ask for over $10m like you said.

Reactions: Frenzy31

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I see Zero reason Marner would want to come to STL. We're not a Marner away from Contending and we don't have a Sniper to play with Marner. And there's no reason for him to take a Detour to us just so we can trade him again at the Trade Deadline where he can completely Bone us value-wise because of his NMC.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I see Zero reason Marner would want to come to STL. We're not a Marner away from Contending and we don't have a Sniper to play with Marner. And there's no reason for him to take a Detour to us just so we can trade him again at the Trade Deadline where he can completely Bone us value-wise because of his NMC.
The tough spot for him is similar to Gaudreau. Gaudreau was likely influenced a bit by geographics, but it's not like he had contenders lining up for him either. For expensive free agents, sometimes you don't always have contenders available to sign with.

Now, with a rising cap, there should be more available, so it could be less of an issue.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Was it any better though?

Bouwmeester was a pretty big whipping boy until the playoff run.

Dunn was pretty similar to Krug to be honest.

And I’d imagine Leddys play is pretty on par with what you got from Gunnarsson.

You can afford to have Parayko in a shut down role with a guy like Leddy if you have a top pair that can at least handle some top competition and produce positive results.

I don’t think you can consider Jiricek in a similar manner to Pietrangelo, but you can at least see a pathway there and get rid of the Faulk Krug pairing as a pair that’s relied upon to eat a decent amount of minutes

You're referencing when he was injured for 2 ish years and could barely skate. Once he had his hip surgery he was spectacular again.

Maybe it's not the price on the player but the player being paid that price. What I mean is, maybe it's the wrong type of players making 10m+. Ones not built for the playoffs.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
None of those players that won you named made $10M+. Kucherov and stone both made use of LTIR to sign deadline deals, so their full cap hit wasn't counted against the cap. We'll see on Panarin. I don't think NYR have it this year but I could be wrong.

Even if that number moves past $10 for a top 5 winger, I think Marner us a step below Kucherov, Pasta, Pabarin and Tkachuk. And he will probably ask for over $10m like you said.
And the cap is increasing. As the cap increases, the amount you can comfortable spend on a position increases with it.

$10M is a lesser percentage of the 2024/25 cap than $9.5M was for the 2022/23 season. It is the exact same cap percentage of the 2024/25 cap as $9.5M is of this year's cap. $10M will be 11.4% of the cap in 2024/25 and barring another season-shutdown, the cap will increase at a much higher rate for the next several seasons as it has over the last several seasons.

All of those contracts allocated 11.35% or more of the team's cap to a winger in year 1 and those teams were able to build damn good teams around that number even as the cap stagnated. There is every reason to believe that teams giving 11.4% of their 2024/25 cap to elite wingers will be easier to manage around than it has in the past few years.

That's why I talked about how we've reached a tipping point rather than arguing that $10M was the tipping point in the past.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And the cap is increasing. As the cap increases, the amount you can comfortable spend on a position increases with it.

$10M is a lesser percentage of the 2024/25 cap than $9.5M was for the 2022/23 season. It is the exact same cap percentage of the 2024/25 cap as $9.5M is of this year's cap. $10M will be 11.4% of the cap in 2024/25 and barring another season-shutdown, the cap will increase at a much higher rate for the next several seasons as it has over the last several seasons.

All of those contracts allocated 11.35% or more of the team's cap to a winger in year 1 and those teams were able to build damn good teams around that number even as the cap stagnated. There is every reason to believe that teams giving 11.4% of their 2024/25 cap to elite wingers will be easier to manage around than it has in the past few years.

That's why I talked about how we've reached a tipping point rather than arguing that $10M was the tipping point in the past.

And again, Rantaa is the only one you named who won a cup without LTIR usage on the winger in question. Kucherov may not gave been LTIR'd on one of Tampa's cups, but ge is also the best winger in the game by a decent margin, imo. I still keep 10m as my rule of thumb with exceptions to be made for the right player and offsetting circumstances. That may change as the cap further increases

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Toronto is just not going to hand Marner over.
They will want a top 2, maybe top 4 defender.
I doubt they have any interest in Krug, Faulk, likely wouldnt accept a trade to any Canadian Team, so that leaves you with Leddy or CP.

I guess my question to some of you, How does getting Marner, help the Blues, glaring need on defense?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it's plausible a Marner deal would be a 3-way. I could maybe see them doing something like Marner for Seth Jones, where Chicago goes all offense to pair Marner with Bedard, or with the intention of flipping Marner to someone else to add more assets in their rebuild. Marner's value right now is just kind of weird. Toronto will want a big return, but teams will be skeptical of Marner's playoff performance and what he wants on an extension.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

View attachment 865813

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’d rather have Kyrou @ 8mill than Marner @11 mill.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Toronto is just not going to hand Marner over.
They will want a top 2, maybe top 4 defender.
I doubt they have any interest in Krug, Faulk, likely wouldnt accept a trade to any Canadian Team, so that leaves you with Leddy or CP.

I guess my question to some of you, How does getting Marner, help the Blues, glaring need on defense?
I'd be stunned if Marner waived his NMC to come here unless we made a ludicrous extension offer that all of us would hate. With that said, my guess is that Toronto is going to ultimately have to settle for futures and a bad contract if they decide to trade Marner. They can want an established stud D man all they want, but they are going to have next to no leverage.

Marner shouldn't give the Leafs more than a short list of potential destinations and those teams will likely all be teams that are already contending and won't have much (if any) desire to give up a big roster piece.

I really think that they are going to have to choose between extending Marner, keeping him and watching him walk next summer, or giving him up for a package that makes them worse in the short-term (and likely for a while). Trying to sell a guy with a NMC and 1 year left on a big-ticket deal is usually the lowest point you can sell. But it gets even lower when he just had the worst playoff performance of his career and is being singled out as the problem by basically the entire fanbase. Getting anything close to fair value for him is going to be a nightmare, because the vast majority of places that would give fair value won't be on his short list of cities he'd waive for.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd be stunned if Marner waived his NMC to come here unless we made a ludicrous extension offer that all of us would hate. With that said, my guess is that Toronto is going to ultimately have to settle for futures and a bad contract if they decide to trade Marner. They can want an established stud D man all they want, but they are going to have next to no leverage.

Marner shouldn't give the Leafs more than a short list of potential destinations and those teams will likely all be teams that are already contending and won't have much (if any) desire to give up a big roster piece.

I really think that they are going to have to choose between extending Marner, keeping him and watching him walk next summer, or giving him up for a package that makes them worse in the short-term (and likely for a while). Trying to sell a guy with a NMC and 1 year left on a big-ticket deal is usually the lowest point you can sell. But it gets even lower when he just had the worst playoff performance of his career and is being singled out as the problem by basically the entire fanbase. Getting anything close to fair value for him is going to be a nightmare, because the vast majority of places that would give fair value won't be on his short list of cities he'd waive for.
They were discussing on 32 thoughts. EF doesn’t think this is trade leafs can focus on winning. They won’t. Need to make best move they can though and sounds like marner knows it’s time. I would guess he works with them to find place he will extend. Place like Utah or Anaheim or buffalo or other place tired of missing playoffs and ready to take next step but without Toronto spotlight.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $145.00