Speculation: Something is wrong with Matthews...

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure what it is, exactly, be it an injury or simply not mentally engaged, but Matthews is nowhere close to the player that he was last year. Some will compare his pace from last year to this year and say that it's roughly on par and thus, nothing to be concerned about, but Matthews was coming off of wrist surgery last year, missed all of training camp, the pre-season and the first few regular season games. It understandably took a bit of time for him to warm up.

This year, he is (presumably) healthy and looks worse than I've ever seen him in his entire career thus far. On pace currently for 35 goals and what stands out to me more than anything is that (unless I'm mistaken), he hasn't scored a single one of his patented wrist shot goals this season. Remember when goals like this were a regular occurrence for him? That shot has been nowhere to be found this year. Just muffins (by his standards) into the goalies chest and more missed nets than I can ever recall him shooting. Something is definitely off.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It may be hard to accept but maybe last year was an anomaly? You can’t realistically expect Matthews to sustain that pace year after year. He was scoring at an absurd rate last year, everything was going in. He’s shooting well below his career average this year so this is just a down year. I don’t think we need to panic. It’s very normal.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Matthews has 14 points in 14 games and 6 goals. If he had 1 more goal (which he can easily catch up to pace wise) he'd be on just over a 40 goal pace for the season.

If he gets 40 + for his entire career no one should really be complaining and he's probably going to do at least that every year.

Some games he looks a bit uninterested sure... but its a long season. Sundin did the same thing sometimes then he'd go have a 3 point night.

The thing is Matthews has a ton of hits, he's back checking... and didn't he just score the only 2 goals when we played Boston so we won 2-1. That shit is way more important and it's how you win in the playoffs.

If he had a 70 point season but Leafs won the cup... no one will give a shit.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Matthews can't set career highs every year, he's due for regression after being unconscious last year.
40-45 goals would be an amazing year for most players.

One thing's for sure, he ain't catching McDavid

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews can't set career highs every year, he's due for regression after being unconscious last year.
40-45 goals would be an amazing year for most players.

One thing's for sure, he ain't catching McDavid

If he does not put up the numbers to warrant being the highest paid player in the league, does he choose not to resign July 1st if he can't get the contract he wants and defers into the season or worse, chooses to test FA ??

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Let’s see what happens the next 10 games.

We went from fire Keefe, hire trotz, blow it up - 10 days later - We are a team again lol

Let’s see where 34 is in 10 games, before We bring out the worry whiskey.

I’ve noticed he’s a bit more engaging in his 2 way battles. Maybe a bit of an Ovechkin growing pain story.

Personally I still want to fire Keefe and hire Trotz

Jun 27, 2005
Here's my conspiracy theory. He's planning on signing a $112M contract next summer and avoiding injury until then :)

Reactions: IPS

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If he does not put up the numbers to warrant being the highest paid player in the league, does he choose not to resign July 1st if he can't get the contract he wants and defers into the season or worse, chooses to test FA ??

He’s getting whatever contract he wants in Toronto. Unless the team chooses to go in a completely different direction and he’ll be traded but I don’t see that happening.

Reactions: TML Dynasty and kb

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He’s getting whatever contract he wants in Toronto. Unless the team chooses to go in a completely different direction and he’ll be traded but I don’t see that happening.

I don't think you can do this and win. If he has a down year I would not mind giving him a 2 or 3 year deal at McD/MacK money with the caveat that if he and the team have success, they will be better able to reward him once JT if off the books.

The trick to trading him is you have to do it before July 1 when his NMC kicks in. After that he'd have to agree to a trade. We do not want to go through a year with Matty's status up in the air.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Why would he have the pedal to the medal at this point?

Play well, make the playoffs and turn it on!!!

Reactions: Lauro

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't think you can do this and win. If he has a down year I would not mind giving him a 2 or 3 year deal at McD/MacK money with the caveat that if he and the team have success, they will be better able to reward him once JT if off the books.

The trick to trading him is you have to do it before July 1 when his NMC kicks in. After that he'd have to agree to a trade. We do not want to go through a year with Matty's status up in the air.
Ideally, him and Marner see the depth circus this team has gone through since they’ve sucked up every penny they could on their current contracts and cash in but also take a little bit of a more team friendly deal.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He just doesn't have the accuracy on his shot that he typically has when he is really dialed in. It's good that he is still picking up goals in and around the net, his shot will come.
He’s at 4.x% 5v5 this year. Two goals even strength. That’s a drastic drop from last year.

His play overall seems pretty good, but he certainly isn’t shooting near as well as last year. The accuracy certainly isn’t there. We need it to be there come playoffs first sure.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The expectation for Matthews is so high. Anytime he goes through he a 2-4 game drought everyone just assumed somethings wrong with him. I hope it’s not the case but what Matthews did last year could go down as his best season of his careers. That’s okay if it is but we shouldn’t have to hold him to 60 plus goal standard.

Has he been a bit down this year yes he has but I’m not at the point to worry about it since majority of this team has been off.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It may be hard to accept but maybe last year was an anomaly? You can’t realistically expect Matthews to sustain that pace year after year. He was scoring at an absurd rate last year, everything was going in. He’s shooting well below his career average this year so this is just a down year. I don’t think we need to panic. It’s very normal.

His shooting percentage is down far below where it should be.

When that comes up, we won't have threads like this

Reactions: francis246 and kb

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The expectation for Matthews is so high. Anytime he goes through he a 2-4 game drought everyone just assumed somethings wrong with him. I hope it’s not the case but what Matthews did last year could go down as his best season of his careers. That’s okay if it is but we shouldn’t have to hold him to 60 plus goal standard.

Has he been a bit down this year yes he has but I’m not at the point to worry about it since majority of this team has been off.

At this point, it isn't a 2-4 game drought. It's been 14 games, 2 5v5 goals, 4.4% shooting (at 5v5). He's on pace for 11-12 5v5 goals for the year. He had 38 last year.

Of course, we should expect that shooting percentage to go up... but we've been expecting that for a while now, and so far it hasn't happened. He's leading the league in shots on goal, at 45, so he's working, but his shot just isn't right... and you can see that. Places where last year he shoots, and you know it's an automatic goal, it becomes an easy save.... His accuracy isn't there right now.

Let's hope that it gets sorted, but for certain, this isn't just a short-term drought... at game 20, if this still is the same... you really have to start to ask questions... to put that into perspective... that's only one more goal, for three total (5v5) by game 20.

Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is nothing wrong with Matty injury wise .. he came into camp out of shape .. it took him 9-10 games to get back into game shape .. and he always has games like last night where he decided to float and take it off completely .. he likely gets a trick next game.. nobody plays all out every night on this team

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

He’s a franchise Center and with the cap going up close to 10 million. If Matthews adds on 2-4 million on his AAV I don’t think that shouldn’t be a problem. We’ll have Knies (hopefully), Robertson, Steeves, Holmberg on ELC’s. I personally think he’ll be at 13 or 14 mill.

Tbh in two years I think the team is going to do a reset much like they did in 2016. Graduate a bunch of young players to play with the core.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad