Weekes: Something happening with Markstrom?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Kind of a tired cliche, don't you think? All players have a certain amount of voodoo to them.

I agree the whole "goalies are voodoo" narrative is utter nonsense that seems to be parroted most often by fans of team with mediocre goaltending that want to convince themselves that in actuality there's no such thing as having "good goaltending" and that the journeyman they have in net is just as likely to win them a Stanley Cup as Connor Hellebuyck would be.

Somehow they just don't seem to notice that the Adin Hill's are the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't see Murray Edwards ever allowing it.
Edwards may not have a choice. Is he going to let 7 guys walk without getting anything back? And for what? Two playoff games? My hunch is that he's enough of a businessperson that he can do that kind of math. I imagine he also has some idea how to manage assets.

And if he does reject the rebuild option then shame on him. If Markstrom wants to join the UFAs out of town that trade, alone, could bring in a couple of decent assets to throw on the pile of picks and prospects.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe he's getting traded for Merzlikins

I don't see why Calgary would sell anyone. It's not even the halfway point and they are in striking distance of a playoff spot.

I don't think they'll make it but I see little reason to sell players off now instead of nearer to the deadline. Give the team a chance

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

I don't see why Calgary would sell anyone. It's not even the halfway point and they are in striking distance of a playoff spot.

I don't think they'll make it but I see little reason to sell players off now instead of nearer to the deadline. Give the team a chance
Is Markstrom going to waive his NMC for Columbus? And would Merzlikins be happy sharing minutes in the AHL with Dansk?

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I really don;t think he is being traded any time soon if at all but being on a Dad's trip doesn't mean anything.
The key is Markstrom has total control if or when a trade occurs.
It actually does mean something. Every player has their father figure on this trip including Markstrom. They are brought from all over the world to be part of this. Markstrom is from Sweden so to come from there and then have the trip ruined because of a trade is absolutely ridiculous. Do you seriously think they would come up to him and say hey we’ve got a trade for you right now will you waive your NMC. Everyone would be disgusted with the Flames organization and they should be. These trips get planned well in advance and they put a lot into having every players family there. The hotels, meals, activities all get planned to make sure everyone is part of it and it’s a special and unique bonding time.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Flames management and Markstrom talked about what he would like. From all the local reports hes happy where he is, but if the Flames wanted to move him he would waive for the right situation. I highly doubt that hes moved. My guess is that Conroy is doing his job as GM and talking to players to see where they are at. Nothing to see here.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Is that 2 or 3 game playoff revenue, assuming they actually make the playoffs and the odds aren't looking good for that, worth losing Lindholm, Tanev, and Hanifin as free agents? The memory of Gaudreau walking away with nothing coming back is too recent. Conroy won't go down that road again.

The Flames HAVE to make room for Wolf and Markstrom will be in high demand by a number of teams. Why keep a $6m goalie on the roster when you are rebuilding and when that goalie is worth a first rounder+ to multiple teams this season. When it comes down to it, goaltending is the most important position on a team although I doubt I need to tell you that seeing how you are quite familiar with that issue when it comes to your own team.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Flames management and Markstrom talked about what he would like. From all the local reports hes happy where he is, but if the Flames wanted to move him he would waive for the right situation. I highly doubt that hes moved. My guess is that Conroy is doing his job as GM and talking to players to see where they are at. Nothing to see here.
With the current standings, I imagine he’s trying to gauge what he needs to do by the deadline with this current roster

Reactions: Mike Jones

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With the current standings, I imagine he’s trying to gauge what he needs to do by the deadline with this current roster
Moreso if the vets are happy and want to stay, or if they want to move on. Conroy has been very clear hes not walking players to UFA or players who dont want to be here. Markstrom is in a unique situation because of Wolf waiting in the AHL.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Moreso if the vets are happy and want to stay, or if they want to move on. Conroy has been very clear hes not walking players to UFA or players who dont want to be here. Markstrom is in a unique situation because of Wolf waiting in the AHL.
You don’t want a reported toxic locker room, akin to what Vancouver was allegedly having issues with

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If the right deal comes along I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Markstrom traded. Its the smart thing to do. The Flames, even if they make the pkayoffs aren't even close to being contenders. No sense keeping him if you can get a quality return. Its not like the Flames have nobody to replace him.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You don’t want a reported toxic locker room, akin to what Vancouver was allegedly having issues with
Exactly. Highly doubt hes moved. Hes happy here and there is little appetite with management or ownership to throw Wolf to the wolves. :sarcasm:

My guess is Vladar gets moved at the deadline or this summer, with Wolf backing up Markstrom next year and the following year more of a tandem.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If the right deal comes along I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Markstrom traded. Its the smart thing to do. The Flames, even if they make the pkayoffs aren't even close to being contenders. No sense keeping him if you can get a quality return. Its not like the Flames have nobody to replace him.
Extremely unlikely the right deals comes along. Cap hit is too high, its mid season, Markstrom has a NMC and the Flames wont give him away. I doubt hes even moved this summer.

Management is not just going to toss Wolf into the line up, they will ease him in. A Wolf/Vladar tandem is not happening.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lyon has started 6 games in a row now for Detroit, and is proving to both Anaheim and Calgary, he can be part of a trade for one of their two starting goaltenders, as Detroit is done playing musical chairs in net.

They want their goaltending fixed for the next few years, and while Lyon has been great, he doesn’t have the pedigree Yzerman wants in net. Lyon also makes under $1 million. He’d be the type of fit Calgary would want, as they wait for Wolf to take the net full-time.

Don’t count Detroit out at all, when it comes to Markstrom or Gibson.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Exactly. Highly doubt hes moved. Hes happy here and there is little appetite with management or ownership to throw Wolf to the wolves. :sarcasm:

My guess is Vladar gets moved at the deadline or this summer, with Wolf backing up Markstrom next year and the following year more of a tandem.
If there's no market for Vladar the team may have to look at moving Markstrom to free up minutes for Wolf.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If there's no market for Vladar the team may have to look at moving Markstrom to free up minutes for Wolf.
And I don't see why there would be. Last year in 27 games Vladar had a .895 Sv%. This year in 13 games he's at .883.
I have no doubt that Conroy has been trying to trade Vladar since the season started ... without success.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
And I don't see why there would be. Last year in 27 games Vladar had a .895 Sv%. This year in 13 games he's at .883.
I have no doubt that Conroy has been trying to trade Vladar since the season started ... without success.
Your response explains why the Flames would move Markstrom instead of Vladar nicely. Those save percentages are well below average so I could see where GMs would pass on the opportunity to acquire him.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
I agree the whole "goalies are voodoo" narrative is utter nonsense that seems to be parroted most often by fans of team with mediocre goaltending that want to convince themselves that in actuality there's no such thing as having "good goaltending" and that the journeyman they have in net is just as likely to win them a Stanley Cup as Connor Hellebuyck would be.

Somehow they just don't seem to notice that the Adin Hill's are the exception, not the rule.
I think this is my favourite post ever on HF BOARDS. I find it infuriating when people say goalies are voodoo.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I hope this means ownership is ready to do a rebuild. Or Conroy is considering an offer that's good enough for Markstrom.
I can't see ownership choosing a rebuild but I can see them thinking and/or feeling that they may not have a choice this time around. The cost of generating revenue from maybe 2-3 playoff dates may be far too high this season. The threat of 7 players walking away for nothing may be too much for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad