Weekes: Something happening with Markstrom?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Markstrom, if available, will have huge value. Some of the teams under pressure to perform have some pretty bad goaltending currently - Toronto, Carolina, New Jersey.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
There are a lot of funny takes.

Calgary flames are 2 points out of a playoff spot with 40 games to go. They are absolutely not out. There’s no way they will give up on the season at the halfway point.

Reactions: Nanuuk

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Extremely unlikely the right deals comes along. Cap hit is too high, its mid season, Markstrom has a NMC and the Flames wont give him away. I doubt hes even moved this summer.

Management is not just going to toss Wolf into the line up, they will ease him in. A Wolf/Vladar tandem is not happening.
2 years after this one at 6 mil is not too high given how well he’s been playing and how much demand there is for quality starters. If we take a 1-2 year cap dump in the 3-5 mil range to balance the cap and increase the value of the return (I.e. Vanacek from NJ, Anderson from CAR) I do not think 2x6 is even bad at all. Especially with the cap rising.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
2 years after this one at 6 mil is not too high given how well he’s been playing and how much demand there is for quality starters. If we take a 1-2 year cap dump in the 3-5 mil range to balance the cap and increase the value of the return (I.e. Vanacek from NJ, Anderson from CAR) I do not think 2x6 is even bad at all. Especially with the cap rising.
He has an NMC and that constricts the market and significantly limits the return for him. The Flames will be lucky to get a pick and mid-range roster player/cap dump for him. But if he doesn't want to stick around then the Flames have little choice but to move him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Calgary flames are 2 points out of a playoff spot with 40 games to go. They are absolutely not out. There’s no way they will give up on the season at the halfway point.
They also have Dustin Wolf who is the best goalie not in the NHL, by a fair margin, waiting in the wings.

Lindholm and Tanev are gone. Hanifin will hopefully sign though

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
The evaluation by Management isn't just about making the playoffs, it's about can you succeed in the playoffs, or be cannon fodder in a 4-0 sweep which is basically the same as not making them in the long run.

Nothing will happen with Markstrom barring a third party on retention for this year, and two or three more weeks seeing if the Flames can surpass a falling Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

Climbing over six or seven teams just to get smashed by Colorado or Dallas or Vancouver is not on.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Bond

May 10, 2012
The evaluation by Management isn't just about making the playoffs, it's about can you succeed in the playoffs, or be cannon fodder in a 4-0 sweep which is basically the same as not making them in the long run.

Nothing will happen with Markstrom barring a third party on retention for this year, and two or three more weeks seeing if the Flames can surpass a falling Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

Climbing over six or seven teams just to get smashed by Colorado or Dallas or Vancouver is not on.
No third party is retaining on markstrom

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Do you see them trading Lindholm and Tanev come deadline time?
Ya. I honestly do have complete faith in Conroy to move them. Even if our management has historically been against a rebuild/retool/whatever you wanna call it, I think he and our entire fan base is even more scarred by losing our franchise player for nothing. Lindy and Tanev are too valuable to lose for nothing. Tanev expressly said he didn’t wanna be here for a retool and Lindy has too much value to let walk. i really think both are traded. Hanifin is the one i could see them keeping.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I agree the whole "goalies are voodoo" narrative is utter nonsense that seems to be parroted most often by fans of team with mediocre goaltending that want to convince themselves that in actuality there's no such thing as having "good goaltending" and that the journeyman they have in net is just as likely to win them a Stanley Cup as Connor Hellebuyck would be.

Somehow they just don't seem to notice that the Adin Hill's are the exception, not the rule.
Between Hill, Kuemper, Binnington, Holtby, Jarry, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, and Ward there seem to be a lot of exceptions to the rule.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
He has an NMC and that constricts the market and significantly limits the return for him. The Flames will be lucky to get a pick and mid-range roster player/cap dump for him. But if he doesn't want to stick around then the Flames have little choice but to move him.
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows if he wants to stay during a rebuild and who knows what team he’d be ok moving to. It’s definitely possible he would block a trade New Jersey or Carolina or Toronto, but those are pretty good destinations if he wants to compete. I could definitely see 1st/ equivalent prospect + cap dump+ secondary pick or prospect or young roster player if we fall out of the race leading up to the ASG.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows if he wants to stay during a rebuild and who knows what team he’d be ok moving to. It’s definitely possible he would block a trade New Jersey or Carolina or Toronto, but those are pretty good destinations if he wants to compete. I could definitely see 1st/ equivalent prospect + cap dump+ secondary pick or prospect or young roster player if we fall out of the race leading up to the ASG.
Any GM who knows that Markstrom only wants to go to certain teams will not be offering that. They will know that they have the Flames over a barrel and will only offer a minimum in return. Maybe a first and cap dump. Maybe a second and mid-range prospect. It won't be much that's for sure.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Any GM who knows that Markstrom only wants to go to certain teams will not be offering that. They will know that they have the Flames over a barrel and will only offer a minimum in return. Maybe a first and cap dump. Maybe a second and mid-range prospect. It won't be much that's for sure.
I agree that the return won’t be crazy but the Flames don’t have to move him either. I’d be fine with a second if there isn’t any retention or long term dumps coming back. Not sure Conroy would though.
My guess is that he is only moved for a 1st plus

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I see the argument, but I think there would be so much demand for a good starter that a better return is within reason. 1st+cap dump is not bad though, add a mid pick or B prospect and I’d take it. Or maybe we add Tanev/Lindholm and get a bigger return. Cause many of the teams that need Marky (Toronto and NJ) have a need for a Tanev as well.

Regardless, anything less than a 1st and we keep him, so we still have leverage here and aren’t over a barrel.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I agree that the return won’t be crazy but the Flames don’t have to move him either.
If he doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild there's no point in keeping him around unless the team really needs his cap hit to reach the floor.

Regardless, anything less than a 1st and we keep him, so we still have leverage here and aren’t over a barrel.
Do the Flames really want to try and keep a guy who doesn't want to stick around through a rebuild? They can (NMC and all) but should they? For me, the only reason to keep him is for the cap hit and its contribution to helping the team reach the cap floor.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Between Hill, Kuemper, Binnington, Holtby, Jarry, Crawford, Niemi, Osgood, and Ward there seem to be a lot of exceptions to the rule.

Yes, it's hard to imagine how shocking it must have been for the Capitals organization and fanbase when Braden Holtby, the 2016 Vezina Trophy winner, came out of absolutely nowhere to deliver high end goaltending in the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs, what a shocker.

Or who could forget when Chris Osgood, a goaltender who only managed 401 career wins somehow stumbled ass backwards into a Stanley Cup. And, then in 2008, he does it again and then the next year, just to underline what a total fluke it was, he falls back to reality in the playoffs of and only goes 15-8 in the postseason with an embarrassing .926 save percentage and a humiliating 2.01 goals against. Talking about crashing back down to reality after being a total flash in the pan.

Darcy Kuemper is another clever example - you clearly know your stuff. It was absolutely shocking when he backstopped Colorado to a Stanley Cup cause he came out of nowhere! He had a .921 save percentage for the Avalanche, but just to prove to you how "voodoo" goalies are, do you know what he did the three seasons before that .921 year? He struggled posting .928 and .925 and a season at .907. When you see these embarrassing numbers, you're kind of shocked that suddenly he's a good goalie out nowhere.

Well thought out post!

Bond

May 10, 2012
If he doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild there's no point in keeping him around unless the team really needs his cap hit to reach the floor.
I don’t think he wants out unless it is to the right team though. Just married with a new kid and there has been zero out there saying he does want out

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If I'm being real about a trade scenario, I see Markstrom to Toronto.

But I don't trust Kevin Weekes. He adds a part to the business nobody understands.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

The teams in front of them have games in hand and generally stronger rosters. Moneypuck gives Calgary a 21% chance to make the playoffs at the moment.

Bond

May 10, 2012
The teams in front of them have games in hand and generally stronger rosters. Moneypuck gives Calgary a 21% chance to make the playoffs at the moment.
Yeah. They need a 10 game winning streak or something

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don’t think he wants out unless it is to the right team though. Just married with a new kid and there has been zero out there saying he does want out
There are trade offs but does he really want to take a two year break from playoff contention? That might be a part of the math too.

If I'm being real about a trade scenario, I see Markstrom to Toronto.

But I don't trust Kevin Weekes. He adds a part to the business nobody understands.
Are the Leafs willing to send a first round pick Calgary's way? And who's the player going back? Can the Leafs give the Flames what they need in the trade?

Yeah. They need a 10 game winning streak or something
Edmonton is at 9 and it looks like they're close to being back in contention.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Markstrom, if available, will have huge value. Some of the teams under pressure to perform have some pretty bad goaltending currently - Toronto, Carolina, New Jersey.
I wouldn't say the Leafs have bad goaltending. Jones has been excellent and when Woll comes back, that's a good(also risky) duo. Samsonov has been the worst starter in the league, but he may not even factor in much longer.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yes, it's hard to imagine how shocking it must have been for the Capitals organization and fanbase when Braden Holtby, the 2016 Vezina Trophy winner, came out of absolutely nowhere to deliver high end goaltending in the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs, what a shocker.

Or who could forget when Chris Osgood, a goaltender who only managed 401 career wins somehow stumbled ass backwards into a Stanley Cup. And, then in 2008, he does it again and then the next year, just to underline what a total fluke it was, he falls back to reality in the playoffs of and only goes 15-8 in the postseason with an embarrassing .926 save percentage and a humiliating 2.01 goals against. Talking about crashing back down to reality after being a total flash in the pan.

Darcy Kuemper is another clever example - you clearly know your stuff. It was absolutely shocking when he backstopped Colorado to a Stanley Cup cause he came out of nowhere! He had a .921 save percentage for the Avalanche, but just to prove to you how "voodoo" goalies are, do you know what he did the three seasons before that .921 year? He struggled posting .928 and .925 and a season at .907. When you see these embarrassing numbers, you're kind of shocked that suddenly he's a good goalie out nowhere.

Well thought out post!
Osgood was an average goalie - he was good enough to backstop an elite team to the cup, by no means was he considered elite.

If you watched even one game of the Avs cup run you'd know that Kuemper let in at least 1-2 softies a game - the team was just a wagon and won in spite of one-eyed Kuemper in the postseason who posted a .902 SV%. The only reason he had a .921 year was again, because he was on by far the best team in the league. Francouz posted a .916 SV% and you can just compare Grubuaer's stats while he was on the Avs and after he left.

You absolutely don't need elite goaltending to win a cup, there is no one formula. Of course elite goaltending helps and if you don't have it the team better be elite in every other area. But with the current goaltending talent (or lack there of) it simply makes more sense to spend as little as possible for average goaltending and make the rest of your team as strong as possible.

Reactions: Thallis and Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad