Proposal: something dif NYR - TOR

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Kerfoot is movable without having to take on salary, and I suspect that's the way the Leafs go if he is to be moved.
If Leafs go there, they get nothing except (structural) cap relief.
My variation, they get what's behind door #2 w/Strome, who is certainly no ? an upgrade and useful for upcoming cup run, May not be able to keep after next season; so what, if it comes to that. And if you can somehow finagle that with his concessions/your juggling, so much the better.

I doubt Strome takes a 1/2 year deal, and I also doubt he takes any discount. This is his year to cash in as much as he can coming off a 60 point season.
Totally reasonable to expect this, but what he wants bends, buckles and breaks in capitulation to the reality of what suitors can and will pay, which is obv strained by the flat cap due to covid.
There is at least hope a lot of this will be overcome by science some pt next yr and with that, overall global economic picture improves. That filters down to sports leagues. NHL in 1-2 yrs is much better market.

So Strome is not gonna be below 4 ish. But one year deal at 4 -- a step backward -- buys him chance to negotiate in a better market right after, not that much later [coupla steps forward, a profit].

Doubt Strome goes 1x4. That's just not a deal that makes a ton of sense for him and I'd think someone offers more.

The idea behind spending more on D is NOT that Kerfoot gets you that defenseman, but rather that the money gained by trading him for a smaller cap hit will.

Brodie/Wallmark is better than Strome/cheap D (say Liljegren) on the Leafs roster next season. And those 2 scenarios would cost around the same.

Your efforts to trade Strome to Toronto just make no sense. Other teams would be better fits.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rangers and Leafs, believe it or not, to some degree may be complementary trade partners.

Leafs want to max compete win now, but have to work w/existing cap limitations.
Moves that could help with cap, especially structural cap, should be welcomed.

Rangers need to think ahead. No immediate probs but despite some heavy contracts off the books following next season, $ concerns on the horizon - Zib big raise, elcs-> rfas, etc. We also want to move on from Lias Andersson distraction.

So...
Strome -- salary tbd, rfa + elc Lias + DAL 2020 3rd
for
Kerfoot (3 seasons after this at 3.5 per) + rfa rights to Gauthier (Frederik) + TOR 2020 2nd

why Leafs
Strome, righty, former 50A, has found his game; yes away from breadman Panarin his stats may go down, but that would be true of almost anyone, and top 6 of Leafs offers intriguing possible linemate combos. While chemistry is fragile and cannot be predicted w/certainty, Strome to TOR looks good. Big upgrade over Kerfoot, upgrade over Kapanen [easier to move now due to increased depth]. SIGNIFICANT is that Leafs jettison Kerfoot's term. Not worst fit, just that with several HUGE $$ contracts, squeezing less cost and more flexibility every opportunity makes sense until a big contract or 2 is gone.

Andersson is nothing except a motor = some grit. He barely cuts it as 4th line F. However, if his skating can be solved, there is chance he could compete for 3C. Leafs get cheaper guy on elc to replace a guy who has rfa.

why Rangers
Rangers must learn from prior mistakes.
I preached and preached and preached... trade Namest.
Took ages to get that done.
Result is Kravtsov, who looked good preseason, got sidetracked.

I want to move Strome [and if return is right, in other deals, Deangelo + Buch] to get cap space and, no less important, get mins for other emerging younger talent.

Kerfoot is what he is, we will see, and I have plans to flip him in a much bigger deal to OTT.
Gauthier is brother to Rangers own Julien Gauthier.

Players to Leafs > if not >> than those going other way, so Leafs, who have no 3rd, get one and Rangers, w/no 2nd, are upgraded.

------------
post deal:
Strome = TOR top 6, Lias = 4C
I see Gauthier possibly 4th line W w/Gettinger and Nieves or Howden at C and Lemieux LW
or
Depending on what happens w/Chytil as top 6 pivot, could be deep 3C, I could see
Gauthier - C (Chytil?) - Gauthier as a third line.
Kerfoot not clear, maybe flipped, maybe not.

Thoughts.....

Drop the picks, don't have an interest in moving down a whole round for the differences in Kerfoot/Strome.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Where did I say we shouldn't get anything worth-while back?
Don't believe I said that and if your impression is I implied that, my apologies.
Remain interested in what you think he commands when we put him on market. [We can't afford to keep him, or protect in exp draft. That is overriding reality. We deal him now and recover his mins/cap, or later. My vote is now.]

And to be honest, Kerfoot isn't anything worth-while.
Concur except we can flip him for something plus recovered cap.

How does moving him now make sense when we can wait to see what he's asking for? He's an RFA without a contract either way.
If he was gonna re-up for same 3.25ish m we have now, no NMC/ntc, that would be dif, b'c we are taking risk of injury vs he ups his value and later in the year we flip him for more value as a rental.

But he is gonna want AT LEAST if not more than 4.5+.
Let Leafs suggest he has cup shot, do 1 yr 4.5ish and they deal with it.

It's not like we're selling him a year early before teams have to pay for him. Teams won't get any games out of him before his contract is up. The price for Strome doesn't change.
Disagree.
Price for Strome is not constant, and varies upon timing and what he brings which is different to dif clubs at dif times.
For Leafs, in this deal, he would be removal of 3 years at 3.5 cap for 1 yr at around 4.5 ish, best case scenario [worst case, they have his rfa rights], and he is like a 1 yr rental theyy get to kick the tires on. After that, chips can fall where they may, no big whoop

For us, mostly irrelevant since we can't afford him/spend an exp dr slot on him going forward.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doubt Strome goes 1x4. That's just not a deal that makes a ton of sense for him and I'd think someone offers more.

The idea behind spending more on D is NOT that Kerfoot gets you that defenseman, but rather that the money gained by trading him for a smaller cap hit will.

Brodie/Wallmark is better than Strome/cheap D (say Liljegren) on the Leafs roster next season. And those 2 scenarios would cost around the same.

Your efforts to trade Strome to Toronto just make no sense. Other teams would be better fits.

I acknowledge your no vote, and thanks for the input.
Otherwise, Strome laughs at 4.5, but think he goes there for 1 yr in this environment in totality of factors.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I agree. The only way Strome takes that deal is if he gets to play with Panarin again with a chance at putting up 60 points for a big pay day. Even then, it's not a very smart move. He should be looking at a 4 year deal rather than a 1 year contract.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If he was gonna re-up for same 3.25ish m we have now, no NMC/ntc, that would be dif, b'c we are taking risk of injury vs he ups his value and later in the year we flip him for more value as a rental.
But there is no "ups his value and later in the year we flip him". He has no contract after this season is fully over. We either sign him or trade him. There is no "we must do it now for whatever somebody is willing to toss our way." This is a full wait and see approach. The idea of flipping Strome should only come after negotiations have taken place. There is no risk. He's playing in our qualifying round either way.

What's the value on Strome? I'd say a second, but at the very least you can get a 3rd. So trading Lias, Strome and a 3rd, only to take back Kerfoot and a 2nd makes no sense.

Reactions: Kupo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nope.
Deal is carefully calibrated.
Strome is way >> today, you have to pay.
And cost benefit, Leafs go there.

I'm a Leafs fan, I wouldn't. Doesn't fill a need. Kerfoot is hardly a fit at 3C for the Leafs but Strome isn't what the team needs either so doesn't make sense to piss away assets and not fill a need.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree. The only way Strome takes that deal is if he gets to play with Panarin again with a chance at putting up 60 points for a big pay day. Even then, it's not a very smart move. He should be looking at a 4 year deal rather than a 1 year contract.

He can look all he wants til the cows come home.
He's too late.
What clubs will give him that big payday, let alone 4 yrs where they also have to protect him for exp drft?

Not being snide, respectful ask: tell me.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
But there is no "ups his value and later in the year we flip him". He has no contract after this season is fully over. We either sign him or trade him. There is no "we must do it now for whatever somebody is willing to toss our way." This is a full wait and see approach. The idea of flipping Strome should only come after negotiations have taken place. There is no risk. He's playing in our qualifying round either way.

What's the value on Strome? I'd say a second, but at the very least you can get a 3rd. So trading Lias, Strome and a 3rd, only to take back Kerfoot and a 2nd makes no sense.

bold: sorry if I wasn't clearer.
There is no way we do long term deal and exp protect him.
Hence, if we didn't feel enuf value for him now, we could sign him, for just the one yr, with no restrictions, then flip him as a rental during the season.

Again, want his mins elsewhere to other guys on our roster that need them. If someone pays more for him now b'c you are buying a full yr's production, that would seem to be the smart move.

Underline:
I agree as to a 2nd, but I think it is actually a moderate 2nd and a moderate prospect.

I could see if a contender got injuries it might go for a late 1st next draft, but with less options to maneuver cap, that is still possible, but I see teams trying to avoid that price. Early picks are useful to get downward pressure on salaries. [so are later picks, but they are less likely to hit as NHL player].

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Has it been determined that Strome -who turns 27 in two days- will be a RFA and not a UFA at the completion of his deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad