Proposal: something dif NYR - TOR

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
so the Leafs center depth can be Spezza, Brooks, and Andersson? sounds pretty bad

No on every level from NY. Rangers have zero need for Kerfoot. They have enough young forwards with talent that they are trying to develop. They also have young defenseman they have to pay now or very soon. No need to add any new contracts.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Why are we giving up Strome when he's the best player in the deal and we get nothing back we need.

Strome fills a center position for us better than Kerfoot and has chemistry with Panarin. This deal just screams, "Strome is going to price himself out so we should just trade him." We don't need Kerfoot. Strome is an RFA, we could trade him for something else if it came down to it.

I'd hold off trading Lias until I see him next season or if he doesn't want to come back and play for us. We're not getting value back so there's no rush.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again - I don't see Strome signing for less AAV than what Kerfoot currently makes. He just had a 60 point season.

Gauthier being a late first in 2013 has no bearing on his current value. He'll likely re-sign at league minimum if they want him back.

Your proposal isn't bad but it would likely be simpler for the Leafs to offload Kerfoot for picks and sign a UFA centre for less than what Kerfoot makes.

Also - I know it's already been mentioned but Frederik Gauthier and Julien Gauthier have no relation.

We have some general concurrence.
Biggest dif is on what Strome commands and if/how that relocates him.
Does a mediator, in a vacuum, saying give this guy mo $, or does mediator say this guy deserves more, but that is also shaped by the existing market impacted by covid = flat cap.
Does mediator say tough noogies to the team, the player, or split the dif?

I think Strome takes 1 yr closer to 4-4.5ish.
As noted IF at that #, then Strome at 4ish is better value than Kerfoot at 3.5, obv., and more importantly, you are moving Kerfoot term.
I get your counter that Kerfoot is not too difficult to move.
Kerfoot is what he is, no more no less.
Nothing negative but has not distinguished himself either in brief history.

nice chatting w/ya, thanks for the share

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That could work, reasonable presumption we have another taker for Strome.

How many prefer OP and how many prefer this?

You won't find one Rangers fan who prefers either.

Wtf possible use do the Rangers have for Kerfoot and his $3.5 million cap hit that is going to be impossible to afford?!?!?!?

Brutal, just brutal proposal for a soft one dimensional player that does not move the needle and would be clogging up cap space we desperately need.

And if we are trading Strome we better be doing a hell of a lot better than Kerfoot, Gauthier and a slight upgrade from a 3rd to a 2nd rounder, not to mention throwing in Lias, whose value I have no idea where it's at but we can do so much better than this.

Also please dont tell me the entire basis of this proposal was to bring in Julien Gauthier's NOT brother.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Strome will get paid. 4.5 mil +

in that sense it doesnt make sense for the leafs in the least to add salary.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So Strome> Kerfoot.

I'd take a road cone >>> Gauthier

and the difference is 2 and 3.

hmmmmm

is strome better though? This was the first time he has had more points than Kerfoot since Alex came into the league and he kinda rode shotgun to Panarin.

The fact that he should command 4.5-5.5mil on his next deal make it a no-no for the leafs. Good luck with that if he then reverts back to his avg 32pt form of 2015-2019

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
is strome better though? This was the first time he has had more points than Kerfoot since Alex came into the league and he kinda rode shotgun to Panarin.

The fact that he should command 4.5-5.5mil on his next deal make it a no-no for the leafs. Good luck with that if he then reverts back to his avg 32pt form of 2015-2019
Strome is better as of today. Now if you are telling me no way I want to be the team that pays Strome say 4-20, I get it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

the Rangers pretty much know what they have in strome as long as Panarin is on his wing. Strome will score 50 Points plus easy with Panarin on his wing. I’m not a big strome guy but there is chemistry With him and Panarin. Who knows what kind of fit Kerfoot would be. Not worth taking that chance to save a million dollars

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
A young guy like Strome who just put up his best season will definitely not be taking a 1-2 year deal. In my opinion, of course.

What if things go bad, he doesn't find chemistry in TOR, gets less minutes or he gets hurt ? Then he will lose potential millions as a UFA as his body of work isn't large enough to be paid as a young 50-60pt centre based on just this past season.

I'd think he signs a minimum 3+ year contract at $3.5M+ so while you have an upgrade on Kerfoot, you don't save any cap space (and it could easily cost more in money or years).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kerfoot is movable without having to take on salary, and I suspect that's the way the Leafs go if he is to be moved.
If Leafs go there, they get nothing except (structural) cap relief.
My variation, they get what's behind door #2 w/Strome, who is certainly no ? an upgrade and useful for upcoming cup run, May not be able to keep after next season; so what, if it comes to that. And if you can somehow finagle that with his concessions/your juggling, so much the better.

I doubt Strome takes a 1/2 year deal, and I also doubt he takes any discount. This is his year to cash in as much as he can coming off a 60 point season.
Totally reasonable to expect this, but what he wants bends, buckles and breaks in capitulation to the reality of what suitors can and will pay, which is obv strained by the flat cap due to covid.
There is at least hope a lot of this will be overcome by science some pt next yr and with that, overall global economic picture improves. That filters down to sports leagues. NHL in 1-2 yrs is much better market.

So Strome is not gonna be below 4 ish. But one year deal at 4 -- a step backward -- buys him chance to negotiate in a better market right after, not that much later [coupla steps forward, a profit].

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What is this supposed to mean.

2 teams:

one:
5 players
one at 10m per
the other four at 1.25m per
total = 15m

other club
5 playas
all three at 3m per
same total 15m

-------------

while the first club has more flexibility on moving the smaller guys at lower salary, they have reduced flexibility on the one big ticket.
That is because the guy at 10m is difficult to trade, irrespective of high production and desire from a suitor to acquire.
NHL is hard cap league.
Must fit the guy w/10m in, and that is not easy.
The structure of how that payroll is laid out may result in a structural cap issue.

Kane and Toews on CHI are an example

Marner is the obvious one.
Every team just bout would love to have him, but can't afford/place within team cap his 10m+.

Everybody can prob do one guy at 10ish.
When you add to that, you restrict options/reduce flexibility.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Exactly why this makes no sense for Toronto even if the value is in their favour. How does adding a more expensive 3C help the team? It's the opposite of what should be done. Get cheaper at 3C, get more expensive on D.

Not unreasonable/wrong, but
assumes you can parlay kerfoot at full pop into a D upgrade.

Where is that?
Either directly [one step] or indirectly [multiple steps].

At least this way, you converted Kerfoot into Strome, who may actually be able to get you a D upgrade if you want to go that way.

And Strome is less term than Kerfoot, so you have more long term options available sooner. With Kerfoot, his full 3.5 x 3 after this remains in effect.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No on every level from NY. Rangers have zero need for Kerfoot. They have enough young forwards with talent that they are trying to develop. They also have young defenseman they have to pay now or very soon. No need to add any new contracts.

Ideally, Kerfoot would be flipped to OTT in a big package so he would not remain and we would have funds for the elcs->rfas + Zib new deal $ which are proper concerns.

Today NY is not w/gun to its head.
but must unload Deangelo, Buch + Strome + Geo to get ahead of the curve.

not only do I not want to pay Buch/Strome the $5m each will want soon enough around the corner, I want to give those mins to other players.

Buch/Strome will want mo $ wherever they are, but if a team like TOR takes Strome, that for them is like a rental, a move to increase long term cap flexibility while adding short term pop.

On top of everything else, exp drft is something to consider.
Who wants to/can comfortably protect him?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why are we giving up Strome when he's the best player in the deal and we get nothing back we need.

Strome fills a center position for us better than Kerfoot and has chemistry with Panarin. This deal just screams, "Strome is going to price himself out so we should just trade him." We don't need Kerfoot. Strome is an RFA, we could trade him for something else if it came down to it.

I'd hold off trading Lias until I see him next season or if he doesn't want to come back and play for us. We're not getting value back so there's no rush.

Agree Strome is best one in the deal, disagree we do not get anything worthwhile back.

Nothing wrong w/admitting Strome will want more than we want to/can afford to/should pay, and moving him now can make more sense.

That begs ?s:
what alternative deal for Strome now?
what alt deal for him later?
what is opp gain/cost for keeping him for time being?

In addition to cap recovery [realized once we flip Kerfoot], not having to consider an exp drft protection slot, a big consideration for me is roster mins.

I continue to beeeaatch and moan about how [waaaay tooo long] we kept Namest, and what did we get for that? A measly effin 4th next year. Not enough. Should have just cut our losses. While he was not long on NY roster earlier this season, it was long enough to sidetrack Kravtsov who played well in preseason, and would have benefitted from mins, or knowing they were his to take in the near future.

Now there is a huge dif in that Strome is genuinely productive whereas Namest was minimal at best [only min results w/max mins and top linemates]. But still, I want

- to get use out of Hank''s 8.5 final season backing up Shesty, develop backups
- value to extent reasonable for Buch + Strome
- give their mins to Chytil, Kakko, Krav, and others.

Kerfoot doesn't fit as a player, and will get us less, but is moveable to the right club like OTT.
So I welcome your alt scenario of how much more we get directly for Strome, but I continue to push go in two steps: Strome for Kerfoot, then move Kerfoot.

Lias has been an effin distraction.
Effin overrated prima donna who thinks somehow his 7Oa entitles him to insist he gets shot at the roster, etc.
Has been given more opportunity than he deserves w/better tier of linemates, taking away their availability for others.

He is worth a 3rd at best at present.
IF IF IF he learns how to skate, he may up that into a 2nd.
Don't want to stay tuned.

Getting a 2nd for him + later 3rd is fair value and worth moving on.
Plus we get an x factor in Gauthier

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So Strome> Kerfoot.

I'd take a road cone >>> Gauthier

and the difference is 2 and 3.

hmmmmm

100% on the Strome over Kerfoot but Gauthier for all the flak he gets is unwarranted IMO.

Look the guy is gonna make about 800-850 on his next contract. He is great on the dot. Big, although doesn’t use his size as much as he should. Can skate. We are not exactly at a position of strength organizationally in our bottom two C. Gauthier is a cheap reliable 4C. The 3 C position is where I see issues. I suspect that Nylander will be there and Kerfoot, AJ and perhaps Dermott will be moved to free up cap space and address our first pairing RHD situation.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You won't find one Rangers fan who prefers either.

Wtf possible use do the Rangers have for Kerfoot and his $3.5 million cap hit that is going to be impossible to afford?!?!?!?

Brutal, just brutal proposal for a soft one dimensional player that does not move the needle and would be clogging up cap space we desperately need.

And if we are trading Strome we better be doing a hell of a lot better than Kerfoot, Gauthier and a slight upgrade from a 3rd to a 2nd rounder, not to mention throwing in Lias, whose value I have no idea where it's at but we can do so much better than this.

Also please dont tell me the entire basis of this proposal was to bring in Julien Gauthier's NOT brother.

Again, Kerfoot only clogs up cap if we keep him.
Leafs would keep him b'c they are thin after top roster players.
Rangers upgrade a pick and avoid headache of more $ + term for Strome later, and we don't have to spend an exp drft slot on him.
All of this, respectfully, you have overlooked.

Lias, no/min value until/unless he proves he can skate.
At that pt, how much more do we get?
learn from the lesson of Namest.
Clean house and move on.

If you have better deals for Strome or Lias I want to hear it.

Value of moving these guys for cheaper futures AND ROSTER SPACE outweighs keeping.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Agree Strome is best one in the deal, disagree we do not get anything worthwhile back.

Nothing wrong w/admitting Strome will want more than we want to/can afford to/should pay, and moving him now can make more sense.

Where did I say we shouldn't get anything worth-while back? And to be honest, Kerfoot isn't anything worth-while. How does moving him now make sense when we can wait to see what he's asking for? He's an RFA without a contract either way. It's not like we're selling him a year early before teams have to pay for him. Teams won't get any games out of him before his contract is up. The price for Strome doesn't change.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
why are the leafs trading their 3c and then having only Brooks and Kossila as the bottom 6 centres?

I expect some extra mins at RW in top 6, but Strome will be your [primary] 3C. 4Cs dime a dozen, and Lias on elc is yr guy there.

Strome will get paid. 4.5 mil +
in that sense it doesnt make sense for the leafs in the least to add salary.

He may not get a lot this year due to league wide conditions.
He is 26. Can stop gap 1 yr, even 1 and next 1, for his big pay day.

Leafs can give away Kerfoot for nothing later to recover cap, or get [chance to negotiate for 1 yr for] Strome now.

Chemistry is a fragile thing. Most players play better w/better linemates. How well he drives 3rd line will depend on linemates he is given to work with, but unique chemistry notwithstanding, he is better by a lot over Kerfoot.

Strome is better as of today. Now if you are telling me no way I want to be the team that pays Strome say 4-20, I get it.
concur

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
the Rangers pretty much know what they have in strome as long as Panarin is on his wing. Strome will score 50 Points plus easy with Panarin on his wing. I’m not a big strome guy but there is chemistry With him and Panarin. Who knows what kind of fit Kerfoot would be. Not worth taking that chance to save a million dollars

It's more than a mil once Kerfoot is flipped, getting whatever he brings, + his 3.5 in cap relief.

I would like to see a line of Kakko LW - Kravtsov C - Panarin RW.
Yes that is out of the box but I anticipate it would work.
Pt as relates to yr post, Panarin is rare guy who seems to upgrade all line combos, helps drive play. A little more experience for KK and VK and I am optimistic that is among our best options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad