Speculation: "Something brewing" between Habs and Oilers

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I won't be surprise if a big trade involving Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nathan Beaulieu with prospects and picks are involved.

Edmonton's defense is just brutal.
Pretty sure McDavid and Draisaitl are their future #1-2.
Edmonton needs to unload some cap space to fill out a balance team.
In a few years: McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Erberle, RNH will eat up 50% of team cap.

Why wouldn't you be surprised?? All these years they have been the furthest thing from making the POs and always needed a Dman. Now, they're 3pts away from the POs and are doing it without McDavid who was on a ppg pace and without Yakupov, but they would trade their 3rd best scorer???...
They have a chance to make the POs for the first time in a decade, they're not going to move key roster players. That would be very surprising.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
I won't be surprise if a big trade involving Ryan Nugent Hopkins and Nathan Beaulieu with prospects and picks are involved.

In a few years: McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Erberle, RNH will eat up 50% of team cap.

RNH is soft as butter. Do not want. We need more players in the Gallagher mold regarding work ethic and tenacity. Hall would be ideal but he is untouchable as is Draisaitl. Eberle is somewhat soft but at least he is a playmaker with some finish and hockey sense (not a committed defender though).

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Scrivens is a terrible goalie, I'd rather keep Kassian honestly. If something is really brewing, I hope it's bigger than that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
No...I'm saying if the Habs been talking with Oilers for the last month....It's got to be bigger than Kassian...

Don't hold your breath.

Edmonton can do way better than Beaulieu if they're trading Hopkins. Think a package with Nashville for someone like Jones, for example.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Scrivens is a terrible goalie, I'd rather keep Kassian honestly. If something is really brewing, I hope it's bigger than that.

Where's the upside with Scrivens? I'm not suggesting Kassian is worth a whole lot, but why would Scrivens make any sense, he's not better than what we have now. I'm tempted to think this can't be the deal.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The Oilers need help in their own end in the worst way.

CXSadLmUQAARh3B.jpg:large

Figaro95*

If a trade ever happens, hopefully it's for a Kassian type of player.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Legitimately can't put together a rational explanation for why they'd want a goalie who has a .892 SV% and 3.47 GAA in the AHL.

I doubt anything happens, tbh.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yes, you would imagine that. The Oilers however are now just 3pts away from the POs, so I strongly doubt they move a key piece.
Eberle in December has been hot. He is pretty much 1ppg player with 10pts in 12gp.
Yakupov is injured and since McDavid got injured his production dropped significantly, I strongly doubt we go after him. Not to mention he doesn't strike me as the Therrien type.

I really don't see anybody interesting they would move at this point to us without costing roster players.

Oilers are further back than 3 points ,i mean the Flames got 2 games in hand the Sharks got 3 games in hand Arizona got 2 games in hand Jets got 2 games in hand Kings got 3 games in hand on the Oilers... Even the Ducks one point back of the Oilers got 3 games in hand .....

Oilers are 7 points out of the last wild card spot..and the two teams that currently hold those wildcard spots got 2 and 3 games in hand ...

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
*MB making trade call at 12:01 EST*

MB: "yo I got a trade I want to do"
NHL: "Marc?"
MB: "Yeah, we're trading Zach Kassian to Edmonton for Ben Scrivens"
NHL: "Marc, you do know that the trade freeze is still in effect in Edmonton, right?"
MB: "Buts its 12:01, that's when the trade freeze is over"
NHL: "Has to be 12:01 local time Marc, its only 10:01 in Edmonton"
MB: "You telling me I have to wait another 2 hours to swap these bums?"
NHL: "Those are the rules Marc"
MB: "**** this, i'm going to bed. When that Mr. potato head in Edmonton calls, tell him da deal is off."
*click*

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 21s21 seconds ago
Going to bed. No confirmation on Kassian for Scrivens, but I believe it's being worked on. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad