Post-Game Talk: Someone put potatoes in our pants. Habs lose 3-0 to Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Can’t believe the media and some fans are ready to give up draft picks and prospects for pending UFA’s. Hope they now realize that we are not cup contenders.

This team did better than what most of us expected, but let’s be realistic here.

are you saying well all been hoaxed

we might swoop in like Canes did last yr #KAPPO KAKKO

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can’t believe the media and some fans are ready to give up draft picks and prospects for pending UFA’s. Hope they now realize that we are not cup contenders.

This team did better than what most of us expected, but let’s be realistic here.

This was a great test. Even if we traded for better assets, we'd still be no match for Tampa. The type of team it would take to beat them, requires a greater talent infusion that takes more time to assemble.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Agreed. Only move to make is if you can get a LHD or RW with term and youth on their side.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I am also one of those who spoke continually against Drouin on this board, I guess this saga is fueled by the fact that we start hearing fanboys Drouin when things are going well for him and we hear about the ones who dislike him when things get ugly for him.
I didn’t like the trade either but if you criticize Drouin you get accused of racism because he’s French Canadian. Until the French media turn on him Bergevin won’t trade him. I’ve accepted that he will turn up for 1 in 5 and do dumb stuff, no point getting upset by him. I have to say though how has one of his team not punched him for his dumb plays?

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
TB just playing with us for 2 periods then got serious in the 3rd. Danault started the ball rolling for TB with another stupid penalty in the O zone and Drouin finished the game off with another stupid turnover. So much for JD stepping up against the team that couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Reactions: Runner77

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Shaw, Byron, Tatar, Petry, Drouin, Lehkonen, Armia could all be dealt for decent returns.

Tatar and Petry I guess but they still have term left so there's no rush to deal them. Byron was just extended and given an A, they obviously want to keep him around. Nobody should be touching Shaw for anything of value with that contract. Drouin, Armia, Lehkonen still young enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn’t like the trade either but if you criticize Drouin you get accused of racism because he’s French Canadian. Until the French media turn on him Bergevin won’t trade him. I’ve accepted that he will turn up for 1 in 5 and do dumb stuff, no point getting upset by him. I have to say though how has one of his team not punched him for his dumb plays?

I saw Julien's post-game presser and he usually doesn't call out any player following a loss. But tonight he did. He named Drouin.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I believe Taranna could take Tampa. Seriously. Now, Taranna would lose playing the Booins, go figure. But I believe they have the makeup to beat Tampa. Call me crazy. I think Taranna would be TB's kryptonite.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Tatar and Petry I guess but they still have term left so there's no rush to deal them. Byron was just extended and given an A, they obviously want to keep him around. Nobody should be touching Shaw for anything of value with that contract. Drouin, Armia, Lehkonen still young enough.

Petry and Tatar should be moved as soon as Brook and Suzuki are ready.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I saw Julien's post-game presser and he usually doesn't call out any player following a loss. But tonight he did. He named Drouin.

Damn lol. Drouin was bad though and he probably cost them the game against the Preds. Julien is also a veteran coach, he knows who he can call out by name and who can't.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not feeling very confident about our last quarter. Our schedule sucks in March.
I wonder if CJ can hold it together like he did two years ago with very little punch for attack.

That playoff spot is not in the bag, that's for sure. Tough schedule ahead could become a huge problem.

Reactions: Habaneros

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

You make some good points, I'm just worried that some of these players' values might fall of a cliff soon.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn lol. Drouin was bad though and he probably cost them the game against the Preds. Julien is also a veteran coach, he knows who he can call out by name and who can't.

I was surprised that he did that, to be honest.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That playoff spot is not in the bag, that's for sure. Tough schedule ahead could become a huge problem.

images

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I was surprised that he did that, to be honest.

I mean Drouin is inconsistent. He is going to get criticized a lot for it but its just who he is. It's games like this where you hope high skilled guys can get you over the finish line. He didn't even come close. A consistent Drouin would be a top 5 winger in the league. I just can't see him ever getting to that point, though.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
So we shouldn’t try to acquire ufas or players with term because Tampa is too good? They’ll be good for a long time, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to get better in the near future without sacrificing the farm. A few key pieces with 1-2 yrs exp for the youngsters will go a long way.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TB just playing with us for 2 periods then got serious in the 3rd. Danault started the ball rolling for TB with another stupid penalty in the O zone and Drouin finished the game off with another stupid turnover. So much for JD stepping up against the team that couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Not just Danault and Drouin, but Weise didn't shown enough restraint and took a stupid penalty, so obvious right in front of the ref. They've got to learn to keep their emotions in check and get the other guy when the scoreboard allows it.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
So we shouldn’t try to acquire ufas or players with term because Tampa is too good? They’ll be good for a long time, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to get better in the near future without sacrificing the farm. A few key pieces with 1-2 yrs exp for the youngsters will go a long way.

Naaaah. If a guy has term and fits a need make the move, but don't trade for guys who are UFA's. Terrible idea. And I am probably higher on this Habs team then a lot here. Just ride it out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I mean Drouin is inconsistent. He is going to get criticized a lot for it but its just who he is. It's games like this where you hope high skilled guys can get you over the finish line. He didn't even come close. A consistent Drouin would be a top 5 winger in the league. I just can't see him ever getting to that point, though.

He definitely has the talent to be a top winger. However, here we are with him making two turnovers in the neutral zone, in consecutive games that both resulted in goals. It's not an isolated event, it comes in waves. And then he'll have a stellar game and you'll be scratching your head and wonder why can't he just perform at a high level game in and game out, like the better players do.

Reactions: zx81 and Max2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad