Someone please explain this to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Kane busted his shoulder right before the 2015 deadline, was placed on LTIR and his cap was used to bring in Vermette and Timonen and then Kane was back in the lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs.

GMs in the West were not too pleased with the "Kane loophole" back then.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
It's almost like that would be politically unpopular.

One would think. Unless you're 1) a fan of Big Corp Team, or 2) one of those "lol omg stop whining u baby its not a big deal who cares there are so many more important things in life quit bitching" type of people

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
How this topic makes me feel:

DB67B5DC-92DB-4A88-ABAF-D1898A3D033A.jpeg

Reactions: Hoek

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
It’s kind of like the ultra wealthy evading taxes… it’s not technically illegal. But it’s also not good for the overall system.

It is what it is though until the NHL does something to close the loophole.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Let me try to explain this to you.

There are 30 teams who have the same rules about their rosters, etc. in the NHL.

Vegas has slightly differently rules (for example, not having a player selected in the Seattle expansion draft) for which they paid a lot of money to the owners of other teams.

Some teams (notably Tampa and Toronto) seem to understand the rules in the NHL better than some HF posters and can follow the rules and ice teams which piss off some HF posters.

Meanwhile the NHL punishes teams which break actual rules, such as the Coyotes.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We cheated and used that extra money over the cap to add these amazing super star free agents to our team that weren't on the roster last year like... umm... well... hmm...

Well, at least used that extra money to prevent really good players from having to leave like uhh... Tyler Johnson... and Jan Rutta.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
There is no loophole, circumvention or anything of the sort.

This is not a scenario which came out of left field that was never considered when the rules were made.

It is completely fine, clear as day within the current rules. It takes some combo of ignorance and bitterness to be complaining about it at this point.

Reactions: DarrylshutzSydor

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The NHL is doing everything they can to make sure everyone realizes that the regular season is meaningless.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Allow me to doubt that one. That allergy showed up when he was heavily declining and not when he was a star player ?

Seems awfully convenient and if it’s true, I don’t believe much effort was put to bring it back to the lineup as there would have been if he was still a star player.

( There are a lot of treatment available to get rid of allergies )
Where did you go to medical school and earn your PHD?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
People think the cheating part was tampa going the whole season without their best player. They think they should have had Kucherov for the last some number of games after he was "100%" thus forcing them to lose Tyler Johnson. They don't understand the trade off was not having Kucherov.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
People think the cheating part was tampa going the whole season without their best player. They think they should have had Kucherov for the last some number of games after he was "100%" thus forcing them to lose Tyler Johnson. They don't understand the trade off was not having Kucherov.

He also wasn't close to 100%. Most of the people claiming he was ready before the playoffs have never actually watched him with any regularity. Did he put up points? Yes. Was he 100% healthy? LOL Not even close.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
Where did you go to medical school and earn your PHD?

I do not have any qualifications besides the fact that I followed myself two different desensitization treatment for allergies ( dogs and pollen ) and magically I am not allergic anymore.

and desensitization has a 100% success rate.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
The NHL is doing everything they can to make sure everyone realizes that the regular season is meaningless.

Has it should be, how can you introduce 3v3 overtime and penalty shots and still believe it’s ok? When you do that you overly favour skilled teams over teams that work as a unit of 5 with everyone involved

Reactions: Gains

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Tampa didn't break express rules, but they've made an effective mockery of them.

A form of the salary cap should apply during the playoffs. If it doesn't, we have to rely on the honor system that players are legitimately unable to come back (until the eve of game one, no less).
A lot of people are forgetting Stamkos was on LTIR at the end of the season. Kucherov could've easily come back in the regular season from a cap perspective with very little workaround.

He wasn't magically ready for game 1, he rushed back like hockey players tend to do. It was pretty clear if you watched him skate in round 1.

Reactions: DFC

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
The 18m figure people keep throwing around is such a perfect reflection of the main problem in the world today. People who mindlessly parrot something someone else said without ever checking to see if it's even true. 99.9999999999 percent of the people who have posted this false figure are only doing so because someone else posted this false figure.

What happened in recent years that caused humanity to lose all interest in actual truth? It's pretty disturbing.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Being salty about Kucherov and his $8.5M is one thing, but including Gaborik and Nilsson who will never play a game for the organization is just silly

Gaborik and Nilsson not playing a game for Tampa is the result of cap maneuvering. It's not illegal but Im not sure what your point is.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If Tampa is over the salary cap by 18mil why are they being allowed to get away with it? Has this ever happened before?

They didn't break any rules. You can say they broke the spirit of the rules, but any team would have done that.

I don't know about the details but in general, you can put players on LTIR during the season, and that means they don't count against the cap.

But in the playoffs, there is no longer a salary cap, so when a player comes off LTIR, they are eligible to play with no cap repercussions.

It's a slippery slope for the league to try and intervene in these types of things but I'm sure this will be a hot topic for the league in the off season.

We've seen teams in the past come up with some creative ways to retain their talent when a cap crunch occurs, and that will continue to be a cat and mouse game as long as we have this system.

Another example of no official rule being broken, but the spirit of the rule being violated is one that happens every year. It's when teams purposely get worse to try and secure their odds for the best draft pick. I think the intention from the league was to help out the teams in most need of talent, but I don't think they ever wanted those teams to get purposefully worse. That's the whole reason for the lottery system, but that has its own pitfalls as well.

There's just always going to be flaws in the system, and teams trying to exploit it.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holy shit.

I saw the thread title and thought, this can't possibly be yet another thread crying about Tampa and the cap.

And yet it is.

I'm hoping it's just everyone coming off a rough year with the pandemic but hfboards has reached peak whining. If this site got a dollar for every post crying and whining this playoffs, the owner could retire and they could put the mods on a 6 figure salary.

Reactions: Hoek

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The 18m figure people keep throwing around is such a perfect reflection of the main problem in the world today. People who mindlessly parrot something someone else said without ever checking to see if it's even true. 99.9999999999 percent of the people who have posted this false figure are only doing so because someone else posted this false figure.

What happened in recent years that caused humanity to lose all interest in actual truth? It's pretty disturbing.
What about the other small fraction of an individual on this planet that have posted it? Why would that portion of a person have done it?
Just asking before I parrot that on in case anyone asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad