Someone please explain this to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
If Tampa is over the salary cap by 18mil why are they being allowed to get away with it? Has this ever happened before?

I write this fully bias because I am a habs fan.

Tampa Bay did nothing wrong. The cap only count during the regular season. It is not calculated in playoffs.

When a player is injured long term, he does not count against the cap ( he is placed on LTIR )

It happened with a few Tampa players that missed the entire season ( Kucherov being one )

Once they were ready to come back for the playoffs, TB reactivated them but they used the cap relief at the deadline to acquire players ( David Savard for example )

So, if Tampa’s cap was calculated today, Tampa would be over cap, but the league rules allows them to do so. It’s not like you can circumvent the cap as you wish, you need players being injured long term to do so

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
I am also fully biased and a lifetime habs fan between relapses

Bolts did nothing wrong. They had star players on injury reserve, which doesn't count against the cap. They came back for the playoffs when the cap didn't matter.

The timing of the player return to be simultaneous with the playoff is iffy, but I've seen more blatant "coincidence" in my life and won't lose sleep over it.

Bolts made the best of a bad situation. It sucks to lose your best players to injury

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If Tampa is over the salary cap by 18mil why are they being allowed to get away with it? Has this ever happened before?
They are not over, because there is no salary cap in the playoffs.

Salary cap is how much you are allowed to spend on your roster in a season. No payments are being made anymore, these guys already got paid, and the Lightning were under the cap.

Reactions: Ciao

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
1. There is no salary cap in the playoffs
2. The Lighting were never over the salary cap in the regular season because of LTIR
3. People only complain about Tampa because they did it egregiously this year, but there were multiple other teams who pulled the same shenanigans as what the Lightning did this year. Pittsburgh, Toronto and St. Louis to name a few.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Tampa didn't break express rules, but they've made an effective mockery of them.

A form of the salary cap should apply during the playoffs. If it doesn't, we have to rely on the honor system that players are legitimately unable to come back (until the eve of game one, no less).

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
The only time I saw this rule used to « cheat » was when Chicago made up a skin disease for Hossa that never existed to place him on LTIR.

I mean their narrative was that he was suddenly allergic to a hockey equipment he wore all his life

Reactions: Spazkat

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The only time I saw this rule used to « cheat » was when Chicago made up a skin disease for Hossa that never existed to place him on LTIR.

I mean their narrative was that he was suddenly allergic to a hockey equipment he wore all his life

He was…

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Tampa didn't break express rules, but they've made an effective mockery of them.

A form of the salary cap should apply during the playoffs. If it doesn't, we have to rely on the honor system that players are legitimately unable to come back (until the eve of game one, no less).
Maybe the rest of the NHL should have done something about it when Yzerman proposed it 6 years ago.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Being salty about Kucherov and his $8.5M is one thing, but including Gaborik and Nilsson who will never play a game for the organization is just silly
Except you take on those cap hits in order to get something. If it costs you nothing in effect, what's the point of a cap?

If there's no playoff salary cap, imho, there's no point to the salary cap. This is the only time of year that matters.

Reactions: Gains

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
He was…

Allow me to doubt that one. That allergy showed up when he was heavily declining and not when he was a star player ?

Seems awfully convenient and if it’s true, I don’t believe much effort was put to bring it back to the lineup as there would have been if he was still a star player.

( There are a lot of treatment available to get rid of allergies )

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Allow me to doubt that one. That allergy showed up when he was heavily declining and not when he was a star player ?

Seems awfully convenient and if it’s true, I don’t believe much effort was put to bring it back to the lineup as there would have been if he was still a star player.

( There are a lot of treatment available to get rid of allergies )

He was on pace for almost 30 goals and 50+ points in his final season and the Blackhawks have never been the same without him. It was a devastating loss and the Blackhawks GA has been suffering ever since.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I agree, but I’m sure some of the same teams who were against it are the ones facing Tampa in the playoffs this year so it’s hard to have sympathy for them here.
That's all conjecture at this point, and I'm not interested in who gets moral superiority here. Just that we all recognize this is bullshit when we see it and fix it going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad