Someone needs to offer sheet Brayden Point

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Its the best way to hurt Tampa. This team is going to be too strong going forward as it is... So I say go for it.

Its going to be up to Point whether to sign before ot not, but if he doesnt.... what better way?

Similar to the Marner situation of course.
This season is probably the best Tampa will be. They have 4 RFA and 4 UFA this off season with $10MM in cap space. The off season after that they have 5 RFA and 2 UFA. With probably about the same in cap space. An offer sheet won't make a difference cause this Tampa team will look vastly different next year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Probably not.

Tampa just can't go out and find 90 point players at will.

This reminds me of Red Wings fans telling everyone Nyquist etc would step in and be the Datsyuk/Zetterberg replacements.

Regardless it would be hard to find a team that would be a good fit I think. Most good teams can't afford to overpay and terrible teams would be giving up a lot of high picks. There would probably only be a couple of teams that this would make sense for.

And then there's the possibilty that Point doesn't have the same success with a different supporting cast. Its a pretty risky move and probably won't happen.

Found 2 in the last 3 years

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
there might be fear of offering so much for a small, albeit incredibly talented, young guy. I'm not sure I would want to mortgage my future on Point, tbh.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Its the best way to hurt Tampa. This team is going to be too strong going forward as it is... So I say go for it.

Its going to be up to Point whether to sign before ot not, but if he doesnt.... what better way?

Probably the wrong logic (or lack there of) to approach this. You make decisions based on what is best for your club and not what will hurt others. Offer sheets as a weapon aren't a thing, I don't see why people keep hoping?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This season is probably the best Tampa will be. They have 4 RFA and 4 UFA this off season with $10MM in cap space. The off season after that they have 5 RFA and 2 UFA. With probably about the same in cap space. An offer sheet won't make a difference cause this Tampa team will look vastly different next year.

Huh?

Pick one of Miller, Gourde, Palat and Callahan and 2 of Coburn, Girardi and Stralman. Those are the only things changing, if that counts as "vastly different" then sure but they've already got replacements for those guys in the pipeline coming up on ELC's.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think the question is less if some other team will try to sign Point and more will Point sign an offer sheet.

I think he'll use it as leverage though.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Found 2 in the last 3 years
And that's great.

Detroit also found two in a short span in Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Lots of other teams have found clusters over the years. It just doesnt continue happening for the same team.

So you can believe whatever you want but if you think Tampa will continue to find a 90 point player every couple of seasons you are going to be wrong.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
i doubt there will be an official offersheet however....
I think that threat of it can be used to extract some very good players from TB in a trade
Tampa is not going to willingly give up Point...however his emergence and the potential need to pay big for him means that
Palat, Johnson, Miller, Gourde may be available for a price
even some of their prized prospects if someone is willing to take Callahan or Killorn

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
And that's great.

Detroit also found two in a short span in Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Lots of other teams have found clusters over the years. It just doesnt continue happening for the same team.

So you can believe whatever you want but if you think Tampa will continue to find a 90 point player every couple of seasons you are going to be wrong.

I think it’s more than he’s just wrong. He clearly has no idea what he’s talking about. He jumped on the bandwagon and now pretends to be a hockey fan

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Huh?

Pick one of Miller, Palat and Callahan and 2 of Coburn, Girardi and Stralman. Those are the only things changing, if that counts as "vastly different" then sure.
There is still a cap right? If you have $10MM in cap space, and you sign Point to lets say $8 AAV, you still need 2 defenseman plus a winger for less than $2MM. Tampa's great team is due to so many guys contributing on ELC contracts. Once Vasilevskiy contract is due the following season, there goes all of their cap space, plus shipping some players out. This will be a different team in a couple of years.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Thats the result of great scouting and management.... not their fault other teams cant keep up.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
It'd make sense for a playoff team with the cap space. But too much risk offering anything over 10m and losing 4x1 round picks. I can count on one hand players in the NHL that are worth 4 1st round picks.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
9-10 is what Point is worth. Even 11.

But a team offering 13+ im sure Tampa would laugh and take the 4 picks.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
There is still a cap right? If you have $10MM in cap space, and you sign Point to lets say $8 AAV, you still need 2 defenseman plus a winger for less than $2MM. Tampa's great team is due to so many guys contributing on ELC contracts. Once Vasilevskiy contract is due the following season, there goes all of their cap space, plus shipping some players out. This will be a different team in a couple of years.
Did you even read the post you replied to?

If one of Miller/Gourde/Palat/Callahan are traded and one of Coburn/Girardi/Stralman are brought back on a short term deal we are fine.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not only will they get Point signed to a reasonable contract, they will also get EK65 to sign for a reasonable contract and blow everyones minds

Point is going nowhere so there is no need for constant threads made wishing you guys can get him on your team

Reactions: Voight

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
You're never going to see a successful offer sheet here with the tax situation in Florida being what it is.

If the NYR offer him 12AAV x 7 (and Point doesn't sign it right away), Tampa can just offer him a contract at 3/4 the AAV and Point would still come out ahead financially.

System's broken, man.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Tampa can go up to like ten for him so depending on the team that does it maybe they match maybe they don't

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They will prob ditch callahan somehow and then Miller or someone will get traded. Doubt their team is much worse tbh .

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Thats the result of great scouting and management.... not their fault other teams cant keep up.

They are a great team for sure but...

Other teams can keep up. That is why Presidents -trophy is the only thing Tampa has won recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad