Someone needs to offer sheet Brayden Point

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
That’s great. Now only if we could get Point to want to leave Tampa and actually agree to an offer sheet.

Can’t just decide you want to offersheet a guy and have it happen. They have to agree.

If its an offer that's like $20 million more than what Tampa can offer most rational people wouldn't turn something like that down.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That'd not be very nice to my Lightning. Also, no way Tampa lets him go as they can afford the kid. Especially with Girardi, Coburn and Mcdonaugh (emergence of Cernak) being expendable and off the sheets for next season. That's 11+ mill to spend on Point and Callahan likely off the books for 5.8 the following season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If its an offer that's like $20 million more than what Tampa can offer most rational people wouldn't turn something like that down.

There's a cap on contracts. $15.9m is the current max. It will tread into $16m territory when the cap rises. No one is going to give Brayden Point $16m, plus 4 first round draft picks to Tampa.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Point doesn't rub me as the type to sign an offer sheet unless it's a way overpayment.

But it's really hard to "hurt" another team with an offer sheet. Tampa is built for the long haul and four 1sts would just strengthen that.

Reactions: Tall Morty

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That’s great. Now only if we could get Point to want to leave Tampa and actually agree to an offer sheet.

Can’t just decide you want to offersheet a guy and have it happen. They have to agree.
human nature is to go where the money is... but yes, why leave a winning team in an attractive city?

Offer him $13M+

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If Point goes we will just sign Panarin or Karlsson. Point isnt going anywhere though. Dont understand the TB insecurity though. They have no cup.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
There's a cap on contracts. $15.9m is the current max. It will tread into $16m territory when the cap rises. No one is going to give Brayden Point $16m, plus 4 first round draft picks to Tampa.
He means over a 7 year period, so something in the range of 3 million more per year. Which probably ends up being something like 12-13 million per season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He means over a 7 year period, so something in the range of 3 million more per year. Which probably ends up being something like 12-13 million per season.

It would be tough to match from Tampa's perspective. They'd have to move some salary out and likely use their prospect depth to do it. On the reverse side giving Tampa 4 first round draft picks and freeing up some cap space could also lead to even more sustained success for them.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Offer sheets are dead. Colorado had every reason to offersheet Mark Stone last year and they didn;t.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if Point wanted to hurt Tampa's cap situation to get more money (I see no reason to believe he would), he can probably do that on his own. Offer sheets aren't a realistic scenario

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Even if he did, I'd take the 4 firsts and capspace over overspending. Unlike most teams ours would be fine and we'd likely develop another replacement.

Probably not.

Tampa just can't go out and find 90 point players at will.

This reminds me of Red Wings fans telling everyone Nyquist etc would step in and be the Datsyuk/Zetterberg replacements.

Regardless it would be hard to find a team that would be a good fit I think. Most good teams can't afford to overpay and terrible teams would be giving up a lot of high picks. There would probably only be a couple of teams that this would make sense for.

And then there's the possibilty that Point doesn't have the same success with a different supporting cast. Its a pretty risky move and probably won't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad