Some suprising (and not so suprising) Habs player stats.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Example: player x only has 8 points after 70 games. His ice time is limited and he is on the verge of falling through the cracks at the risk of flourishing elsewhere. The coach, while consulting a micro stats analysis report, realises, among other things, that when this player is on the ice, on even strength when the score is tied or close, his team is outshooting the opponent. He decides to give this guy a chance.

looks like a coach about to be fired. seriously...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Though I studied and work with stats, I am no expert on micro stats applied to sports so the following should be taken with a grain of salt. I guess that “shots on goal†are strongly correlated to “scoring chancesâ€. And shots on goal, contrary to “scoring chanceâ€, “hits†or “takeoverâ€, are an easy stats to track: a shot is a shot, interpretation does not play a role.

exactly why it's pretty useless without the context provided by an expert observer.

Gomez had lot's of shots during his year without a goal... that he was unable to convert was far more than just "bad luck".

some shots are far FAR better than other, but that won't show up on the stat sheet.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
exactly why it's pretty useless without the context provided by an expert observer.

Gomez had lot's of shots during his year without a goal... that he was unable to convert was far more than just "bad luck".

some shots are far FAR better than other, but that won't show up on the stat sheet.

Even if you limit yourself to even strength shots when the score is tied or close, over a long period of time, the correlation is not 100% *1. Heck... the Russian teams from the 70s/80s (puck possession teams) usually were “out shot” by the NHL teams and, from the look of it, they were not, contrary to what most of today’s micro stats would probably tell you, bad teams!

I tend to agree with you here.

*1 It does not mean it is a useless decision helping tool. As I mentioned: micro stats offer you a complementary... lighting. Key word: complementary.

looks like a coach about to be fired. seriously...

You edited my reply and left out (the blue part) the answer to your reply:

"... The coach, while consulting a micro stats analysis report, realises that, among other things,when this player is on the ice, on even strength when the score is tied or close, his team is outshooting the opponent. He decides to give this guy a chance.

There is nothing “obvious” about the bolded part btw: you need to process a lot of infos to write the aforementioned report and, though you can observe the phenomenon (on even strength when the score is tied or close, his team is outshooting the opponent when player x is on the ice), chances are you won’t be able to record and process it all. The speed of the game, your own personal bias... a lot of things can get in the way of a proper evaluation.

Micro stats offer you a complementary... lighting. Key word: complementary.
"

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Even if you limit yourself to even strength shots when the score is tied or close, over a long period of time, the correlation is not 100% *1. Heck... the Russian teams from the 70s/80s (puck possession teams) usually were “out shot†by the NHL teams and, from the look of it, they were not, contrary to what most of today’s micro stats would probably tell you, bad teams!

I tend to agree with you here.

*1 It does not mean it is a useless decision helping tool. As I mentioned: micro stats offer you a complementary... lighting. Key word: complementary.

You edited my reply and left out (the blue part) the answer to your reply:

"... The coach, while consulting a micro stats analysis report, realises that, among other things,when this player is on the ice, on even strength when the score is tied or close, his team is outshooting the opponent. He decides to give this guy a chance.

There is nothing “obvious†about the bolded part btw: you need to process a lot of infos to write the aforementioned report and, though you can observe the phenomenon (on even strength when the score is tied or close, his team is outshooting the opponent when player x is on the ice), chances are you won’t be able to record and process it all. The speed of the game, your own personal bias... a lot of things can get in the way of a proper evaluation.

Micro stats offer you a complementary... lighting. Key word: complementary.
"
doesnt change a thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad