Some Front Office Changes Per Avs Website

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Hiring more analytics people and having new voices in the front office certainly won't hurt.

Now how about some changes to the coaching staff?

Avs arent my #1 team, they're one of my fav in the West tho...Don't you think that Roy deserves 1 more year with some good D or depth forwards at least?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hiring more analytics people and having new voices in the front office certainly won't hurt.

Now how about some changes to the coaching staff?

Unless they can demonstrate folly of height as being a gauge of pick performance they'll be useless.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Roy wouldn't allow Sakic to hire an analytics person if he wasn't going to use him. I don't think he will become corsi driven but I think he's heard enough of it and is a driven enough guy to want to learn first hand if it has a benefit for him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Roy wouldn't allow Sakic to hire an analytics person if he wasn't going to use him. I don't think he will become corsi driven but I think he's heard enough of it and is a driven enough guy to want to learn first hand if it has a benefit for him.

I'm not sure that is how it is supposed to work

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Avs arent my #1 team, they're one of my fav in the West tho...Don't you think that Roy deserves 1 more year with some good D or depth forwards at least?

I do think Roy deserves one more season, but both of his assistants should go before we have a chance at redemption. The systems are a joke.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I'd be the analytic's bloke for the Avs pro bono.

"Joe and Pat, your teams stats are dreadful. Must improve."

There, and I've saved them thousands.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Does Roy not handle syystems?
He handles the systems and has an idea of what he wants to play like. Which I would describe as fast pace counterattacking with a heavily forecheck. Picture a combination between Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks. Except that he doesn't have the talent or players with IQ that comes close to pulling this system off. And it's a very tough system implement as well. So majority of the time, the players look like they have their heads cut off just icing the puck or going offsides. Thankfully Tanguay is gone, so that should reduce the offside traps by a thousandfold next season.

But the assistants could be giving him some really bad advice on certain aspect. Army has over welcomed his stay and doesn't really contribute to anything except words of wisdom. While Farrish has just seemed like a bad fit from the beginning wanting to play a more defensive Hitchcock sort of 90s style of hockey (which Avs don't have the characteristics to play).

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Army has over welcomed his stay and doesn't really contribute to anything except words of wisdom. While Farrish has just seemed like a bad fit from the beginning wanting to play a more defensive Hitchcock sort of 90s style of hockey (which Avs don't have the characteristics to play).

PP is ineffective at critical times in the game. That is on Army.

Avs always lead in blocked shots. That tells me the opposing team is controlling the puck in our zone way too much. Get a real D coach.

Please replace them.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Assistants or no, at some point it still should rest on the HC. Roy needs to be held just as accountable. Changing the assistant didn't work on D, so perhaps he'll be given one more change to make this work, but eventually, if it is a dog, then Sakic or whomever will need to acknowledge that it is a dog and move on. Be a shame to wast the years of this core because too much leeway is given to a legend

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
He handles the systems and has an idea of what he wants to play like. Which I would describe as fast pace counterattacking with a heavily forecheck. Picture a combination between Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks. Except that he doesn't have the talent or players with IQ that comes close to pulling this system off. And it's a very tough system implement as well. So majority of the time, the players look like they have their heads cut off just icing the puck or going offsides. Thankfully Tanguay is gone, so that should reduce the offside traps by a thousandfold next season.

But the assistants could be giving him some really bad advice on certain aspect. Army has over welcomed his stay and doesn't really contribute to anything except words of wisdom. While Farrish has just seemed like a bad fit from the beginning wanting to play a more defensive Hitchcock sort of 90s style of hockey (which Avs don't have the characteristics to play).

so would it be fair to say maybe Roy is a bad coach as far as adapting to his players goes, but maybe he'd be good with the right players?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
so would it be fair to say maybe Roy is a bad coach as far as adapting to his players goes, but maybe he'd be good with the right players?

That's kind of the question. Roy probably could have a decent system in place if he had the players he wants to run it. Many people believe Roy doesn't bring enough talent to the table on the technical side and the poor assistants doesn't help. There's still the belief that there is too much dead weight on the team or players in roles above their head. The front office seems to believe the core players need to step up and play better. So really what we are left with is no idea what direction this team is going in or if they need minor or major changes. Obviously everyone has their opinion on that. We are desperately anxious waiting to see what exactly they plan to do this offseason because they could go in any number of directions, maybe large or small changes or go more in the direction or their win now mantra or build for the future.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
But should they be building a team that fits his system, or implementing a system that fits this team?

The easy answer is of course both

The problem lies in if you believe the coaching staff has enough knowledge to do the latter while they are doing the former.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The easy answer is of course both

The problem lies in if you believe the coaching staff has enough knowledge to do the latter while they are doing the former.

Which is why it's not meeting everyone's expectations. It takes time to do both when you have so many holes in the lineup.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Does Roy not handle syystems?

Roy has his strengths and weaknesses, and systems is one of the latter. He's a good players coach, but if we're going to keep him, we need to bring in assistants who will offset his low systems IQ, and Army and Farrish are not the guys to do that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't wait until they build a balanced team and we can stop hearing about "systems."

I love that so many internet posters know more about systems than a man who's lived hockey for 40+ years, has four Stanley Cups, three Conn Smythe's (more than anyone in history), 10 years experience as a head coach, a Memorial Cup as head coach, Jack Adams as coach of the year in the NHL, and is widely regarded as one of the most studious players to play the game, always studying "systems" and practice methodology with other coaches.

Man, if he could only see what you guys see that it's the "systems" bringing the team down.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I can't wait until they build a balanced team and we can stop hearing about "systems."

I love that so many internet posters know more about systems than a man who's lived hockey for 40+ years, has four Stanley Cups, three Conn Smythe's (more than anyone in history), 10 years experience as a head coach, a Memorial Cup as head coach, Jack Adams as coach of the year in the NHL, and is widely regarded as one of the most studious players to play the game, always studying "systems" and practice methodology with other coaches.

Man, if he could only see what you guys see that it's the "systems" bringing the team down.

Not to kick the hornet nest anymore as you seem a bit upset but Roy is also a coach whose most successful season with his teams so far seems to be his first.

I don't think many are doubting his studious nature or even his knowledge, but more his ability to effectively apply his knowledge.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not to kick the hornet nest anymore as you seem a bit upset but Roy is also a coach whose most successful season with his teams so far seems to be his first.

I don't think many are doubting his studious nature or even his knowledge, but more his ability to effectively apply his knowledge.

That's a fair point, but that's usually how it works. The coach has his biggest impact the first season with the players extra motivated. I think the difference is Roy has more success the first season than most, rather than he has less after.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That's a fair point, but that's usually how it works. The coach has his biggest impact the first season with the players extra motivated. I think the difference is Roy has more success the first season than most, rather than he has less after.

My concern is that he does not adapt as quickly as his peers adapt to him, but at least with the Avs so far, there are significant limitations due to personnel that can be attributed to that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My concern is that he does not adapt as quickly as his peers adapt to him, but at least with the Avs so far, there are significant limitations due to personnel that can be attributed to that.

It's not a problem of adapting IMO. It's due to Roy's motivation and Varly's superman act the first season, they overachieved massively. They have slightly improved in the way they play overall, and slightly improved on the roster, but neither were enough to make them a sure fire playoff team. So in the end they haven't really improved performance wise. They were still a bubble team, but with expectations of being more.

We all know the roster had problems with it in Roy's first season. Minus Zadorov and Bigras and the trade deadline additions that all came in at the end of the year, how much did the roster really improve since Roy's first season? That's the real misstep IMO.

Out

Stastny
ROR
PAP
McGinn
Talbot
Bordy

Hejda
Benoit
Sarich
Wilson

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2014.html

In

Iginla
Soderberg
Grigo
Comeau
Skille
Martinsen

Beauchemin
Redmond
Bodnarchuk
Gormley

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2016.html

They got younger with the ROR trade. Soda was a slight downgrade, and Staz for Iggy was more or less a wash for one year, then became a big downgrade.

Beauch was the only significant upgrade to the roster, and to the part of the lineup that needed the most help. That's not really enough to meet the false expectations given by the success of the first season. That's the real issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad