Some Front Office Changes Per Avs Website

avalanche96

Jun 6, 2016
Looks like the avs made some changes to their front office today per their website (Greg Sherman no longer listed and two new scouts John Funk & Lyle Wingert). Looks like Rick Lanz is no longer listed as a scout as well

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nice catch.

Lyle Wingert works in the WHL and seems like Lanz replacement.

John Funk on the other hand is the son of Pat Funk, who's a major scout for the San Jose Sharks (responsible for WHL and all the Western Region of North America). Sounds like Funk works some elite training jobs in Minnesota and Wisconsin for hockey schools, probably will scout the high school league of both states and NCAA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nice catch.

Lyle Wingert works in the WHL and seems like Lanz replacement.

John Funk on the other hand is the son of Pat Funk, who's a major scout for the San Jose Sharks. Sounds like Funk works some training job in Minnesota and Wisconsin for hockey schools, probably will scout the high school league of both states and NCAA.

Cool thanks, that was going to be my next question.

They haven't been happy with a lot of WHL selections, that's been my gripe why are those scouts still around. Makes sense.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kinda weird if they let Sherman go. He's been with the team for 13 years. Seemed like they transitioned him into more of the business side which is perfect for him, but maybe Kroenke thought he had that covered.

Lanz scouted the US a bit, but it seems like the WHL was his main stomping grounds. He came on board in 2007. Had some luck with some picks, but not so much with others. Aside from Picks, the 1st and 2nd round weren't too kind to him, and those are the selections you have to make count.

Elliott - 2nd
Barrie - 3rd
Pickard - 2nd
Rutkowski - 5th
Walker - 5th
Siemens - 1st
Bourke - 3rd
Geertsen - 4th
Bleackley - 1st

Not to spark the Bleackley conversation again, but it almost feels like they're upset they missed something about him. No WHL picks in 2015, and now both Pracey and Lanz are gone.

avalanche96

Jun 6, 2016
Kinda weird if they let Sherman go. He's been with the team for 13 years. Seemed like they transitioned him into more of the business side which is perfect for him, but maybe Kroenke thought he had that covered.

Lanz scouted the US a bit, but it seems like the WHL was his main stomping grounds. He came on board in 2007. Had some luck with some picks, but not so much with others. Aside from Picks, the 1st and 2nd round weren't too kind to him, and those are the selections you have to make count.

Elliott - 2nd
Barrie - 3rd
Pickard - 2nd
Rutkowski - 5th
Walker - 5th
Siemens - 1st
Bourke - 3rd
Geertsen - 4th
Bleackley - 1st

Not to spark the Bleackley conversation again, but it almost feels like they're upset they missed something about him. No WHL picks in 2015, and now both Pracey and Lanz are gone.
I was thinking the same about the Bleackley pick as well having to do with this.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was thinking the same about the Bleackley pick as well having to do with this.

Siemens too. If they don't qualify him that would be a huge knock against their WHL drafting. I feel like they're probably done with him and that also had something to do with them moving on.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Or Sherman wanted more. Will be interesting if we hear anything further about it or see if he lands somewhere else in the league.

Who will bring Joe and Patrick their coffee now?

member 116861

If Sherman is no longer a part of the team then I'm not either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Freshening up much of their scouting isn't a bad idea anyway. Btw, the Q news reported that Mesonero got a 2 year contract extension. I'm not complaining, I think his results have been positive thus far.

The Sherman thing is curious because they do need someone on the business side and seemed like he'd done a fine job there. So are they bringing in someone else or does someone like MacFarland take on a greater role? They really need to turn over the entire FO at some point so this is probably a good thing unless they just hire Hejduk.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Elliott - 2nd
Barrie - 3rd
Pickard - 2nd
Rutkowski - 5th
Walker - 5th
Siemens - 1st
Bourke - 3rd
Geertsen - 4th
Bleackley - 1st

Don Paarup (has to be close to retiring) is another WHL scout too and he's still with the organization, so I don't know if your theory of the WHL is right. I do agree though, that Lanz shared the same characteristics or viewpoints as Pracey did and probably was let go because of it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well it's been fun guys. But this team has no future without Greg from Accounting. Sherm the Werm 4 lyfe.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Looks like the avs made some changes to their front office today per their website (Greg Sherman no longer listed and two new scouts John Funk & Lyle Wingert). Looks like Rick Lanz is no longer listed as a scout as well

Pity if Sherman is gone. I always thought he did a good job as GM with very little to work with... tough to say how much of it was just him though as I'm sure he had a lot of support. I thought his trades were good either way.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
From what I understand Wingert is responsible for the BCHL and WHL... he has been with the Avs for at least a chunk of the season. There is a photo on a certain social media site that needs:

tumblr_mga0fa5Dk61qbh8c0o1_500.jpg

In the end though, this is just a continuation of the regime change and shows the unhappiness the front office has with some of the scouts. Sherman might just be a situation where he went after another opportunity.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad