Some Front Office Changes Per Avs Website

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Will this move not clash with Roy's mindset a bit?

I love it, I want Mac to help move things in a different direction. That was one of the reasons I was so excited by his hire.
I wonder how much influence he had over the Rampage coaching move since he was heavily involved with the Blue Jackets minor league affiliates when he was there.

I know Billington is the guy who mostly works with the Avs affiliates but I just wonder how much influence Macfarland has over that.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Will this move not clash with Roy's mindset a bit?

I love it, I want Mac to help move things in a different direction. That was one of the reasons I was so excited by his hire.
I wonder how much influence he had over the Rampage coaching move since he was heavily involved with the Blue Jackets minor league affiliates when he was there.

I know Billington is the guy who mostly works with the Avs affiliates but I just wonder how much influence Macfarland has over that.

Why would it?

He doesn't hate analytics, but rather I tend to think that he believes their not the "be all, end all" of hockey--and I'd agree with him on that regard.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who knows what "analytics hire" really means anyway. Doesn't mean they are going all in or going to sign a bunch of Corsi heroes.

Exactly. This is where being reputable and proven in your abilty to analyze something properly and professionally comes into play.

Maybe he's an analytics guy, maybe he's just a guy that uses analytics a little bit like everyone else. Even McFarland wasn't the "analytics guy" he was made out to be at first, after further examination of what led to him being termed as such. Someone took one comment about analytics and stretched that into something else.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Why would it?

He doesn't hate analytics, but rather I tend to think that he believes their not the "be all, end all" of hockey--and I'd agree with him on that regard.

Not saying he hates analytics but he seems to be more of a gut feel type.
I simply like that the Avs are embracing change even if it is minor.

The drafting and player development has been appalling. Free agency signings and trades not much better. The construction of the team is poorly done with regards to the holes in the line up.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not saying he hates analytics but he seems to be more of a gut feel type.
I simply like that the Avs are embracing change even if it is minor.

The drafting and player development has been appalling. Free agency signings and trades not much better. The construction of the team is poorly done with regards to the holes in the line up.

Well, the organization already brought in advanced stats and analytics people before this (it just wasn't widely publicized).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Analytics hire or not, it is nice to see them making even incremental changes in their staff. Especially scouting, it'll be interesting to see how their late-round drafting is impacted in particular.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't know if his information is correct, but it's hard for me to read too much into it because Luke Steer is such a dolt. The majority of that BSN crew is just a band of outspoken and opinionated Av fans, with emotional reactions driving their poor analytical skills.

When you make no attempt to hide your biased opinions, your opinions can't be respected as a "journalist."

Why is it so much to ask for respectable, level headed, smart journalists that carry themselves in a professional manor in this day and age? It's just, give the microphone to the guy with the loudest voice. Doesn't matter what he's saying.
Sigh. That was painful to read.

Anyways, Luke has his connections in the analytics world, as he drives to the conventions with some analytic folks. I'm sure it's happened. Changes need to be made after missing the playoffs two years in a row and getting outplayed most nights.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know if his information is correct, but it's hard for me to read too much into it because Luke Steer is such a dolt. The majority of that BSN crew is just a band of outspoken and opinionated Av fans, with emotional reactions driving their poor analytical skills.

When you make no attempt to hide your biased opinions, your opinions can't be respected as a "journalist."

Why is it so much to ask for respectable, level headed, smart journalists that carry themselves in a professional manor in this day and age? It's just, give the microphone to the guy with the loudest voice. Doesn't matter what he's saying.
I don't think Luke is a dolt, he's quite good on the podcasts even if I could careless about analytics.

And even if BSN still has that fan aura, they're trying to do their best. I mean come on man, this is quite harsh for a team trying to give us more coverage. I respect your opinion Foppa, but what have you done for the Avs community? At least they show up for the press conferences and morning skates, can't say the same thing about the one probably getting close to a six figure salary.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's probably not best to talk about someone who isn't here to defend himself and is not a public media figure. The analytics hire is not his rumor anyway, I think we'll hear more about it soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Luke is a dolt, he's quite good on the podcasts even if I could careless about analytics.

And even if BSN still has that fan aura, they're trying to do their best. I mean come on man, this is quite harsh for a team trying to give us more coverage. I respect your opinion Foppa, but what have you done for the Avs community? At least they show up for the press conferences and morning skates, can't say the same thing about the one probably getting close to a six figure salary.

I consider this dolt worthy. Even Dater knows the problem is with the roster, and they need to improve it.

Dislike Roy all you want, but this idea that the roster is fine, and he's the only thing bringing it down is just ridiculous.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sigh. That was painful to read.

Anyways, Luke has his connections in the analytics world, as he drives to the conventions with some analytic folks. I'm sure it's happened. Changes need to be made after missing the playoffs two years in a row and getting outplayed most nights.

Admittedly, I wasn't aware of your contribution. I go there about as much as I go to the Post because I'm not a fan of the tone at either, and I keep seeing more of the same when they come up on my radar. That said, even if I disagree with some of your thoughts, I think you're capable of good analysis, so if you're doing your part to change things there, then more power to you.

For the record I'm not doubting his information.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Who knows what "analytics hire" really means anyway. Doesn't mean they are going all in or going to sign a bunch of Corsi heroes.

Some with a math degree they can give the mushroom treatment to, while stat whackers instantly fip their opinion of the team because of it.

Seriously, once the official announcement is made put it on the main board and watch the hilarity.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Analytics hire or not, it is nice to see them making even incremental changes in their staff. Especially scouting, it'll be interesting to see how their late-round drafting is impacted in particular.

I should probably knock on wood when saying this but...the drafting cannot get any worse.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Dislike Roy all you want, but this idea that the roster is fine, and he's the only thing bringing it down is just ridiculous.
Not the only thing but the biggest thing. It doesn't even matter who's on the roster as long as Roy is coaching. 3 years and the team just got worse and worse.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

MHH and eventually BSN was born and became popular because of the void in aggressive coverage the team has always had.

Before all of those people left MHH for BSN, you could sometimes get information about the team well before the DP and they didn't even have credentials.

Fans who gave a **** found an avenue of support to fill the void. A few of them got enough respect and credit for the work put in that a guy starting a Denver news outlet decided to take advantage of it.

We've never had amazing beat writers for this team, but I'll take the flaws in too much perspective and opinion on occasion with BSN right along with the work ethic and respectable give a **** level any day. Especially over an elitist airhead like Chambers, or a ticking time bomb like Dater.

Sometimes you just need to appreciate what you have you know? Nothing is perfect, and 'fans' had to fill the void left by media. I also doubt you need a reporter to shape your opinion as long as the relevant information/news is there. Getting a light dose of their opinion isn't the worst thing in the world. Opinions are how discussions start a lot of times.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Not the only thing but the biggest thing. It doesn't even matter who's on the roster as long as Roy is coaching. 3 years and the team just got worse and worse.

Worse then the Sacco years? No way. Year 1 was a fluke under Roy. People shouldn't compare everything to it.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I should probably knock on wood when saying this but...the drafting cannot get any worse.

So do you give credit to the scouts/management for picking guys like Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon? Or are those so obvious that you really focus drafting as the non-easy picks. If so, the success is really ROR and Barrie rihgt?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So do you give credit to the scouts/management for picking guys like Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon? Or are those so obvious that you really focus drafting as the non-easy picks. If so, the success is really ROR and Barrie rihgt?

The original point was about late round drafting.

Everyone hates the core now so probably not the best time to give kudos for those picks. High picks are harder to screw up but have a bigger potential for disaster if they are so I don't consider them slam dunks. They've drafted a few good players, the point is they need to get far more and especially later as this org doesn't work with extra picks either.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hiring more analytics people and having new voices in the front office certainly won't hurt.

Now how about some changes to the coaching staff?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad