Speculation: Some agents for RFA players say you may see some of them absent at start of training camp

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Thought you were giving the victim complex a rest after the draft.

Not a victim complex when it's been proven time and time again.

And I am out of here after I see the result of UFA because I can't handle another summer of being trolled by bored people the whole time again only for them to vanish when proven wrong the following year, and then slowly repeat the process. Will be my 10th year of that on here, and that is 9 years too many.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I mean if you are Rantanen or Aho why would you sign before Marner has his way with Dubas?
That certainly will bump up your contract by a fair bit as well.

Let Marner do all the dirty work and reset the market once Dubas folds like he always does.
I am pretty sure that Marner will be the first one to sign a contract out of all these guys. Could be an offersheet if he finds a team willing to give him one but even if he doesn't, I think he will have to be the first domino to fall. If that situation drags out, I expect a few hold-outs. Unfortunately Rants might be among them..

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This will get interesting if this goes that way. In other words, the Notable, meaning top 6 forwards, top 3/4 D want more of the fixed size pie, meaning there will be less left for the rabble. Always been that way with the Cap. but sounds like the top end guys want a bigger percentage. Don't bottom NHLers have agents ?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This will get interesting if this goes that way. In other words, the Notable, meaning top 6 forwards, top 3/4 D want more of the fixed size pie, meaning there will be less left for the rabble. Always been that way with the Cap. but sounds like the top end guys want a bigger percentage. Don't bottom NHLers have agents ?
Bottom nhl players are much easier to replace. What they do have is voting power when cba negotiations come up

Reactions: yianik

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Can see the players loving the no guaranteed money and the elimination of NMC and NTCs.

Well they also have some blame in this with all due respect.

Nobody will fault anyone for wanting more money, the question then becomes once that player and team have agreed upon the salary , term etc, the player is still responsible for living up to the value of his contract .

In any business people are paid for performance as well as given raises.
These players even with their raises from RFA to signings is a huge jump that in any real world nobody would get a million plus raise like that and if so they would be expected to perform and keep validating their salary otherwise people get fired.

That's what needs to start happening in the nhl in order for the league , owners, players to justify salaries, cap spending etc.

Without a mechanism in place that puts just as much ownis on the players as the contract ho,d's over the teams heads , you won't fix the root problems.

Underrated talent, laziness, greed, decline , aging declining player

Reactions: Plub and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Can you blame these players. The NHL has been a poop show with its watered down missed calls by the refs, a salary cap announcement months ago only to come back and say no we projected incorrectly and we can't get you a number before the draft starts.

It's time to eliminate the salary cap and nmc,NTC, and contracts that exceed 5 years, also no guarantee money.

You will see these smaller market teams either step up and attempt to produce a winning product or get run out .
rough ideas but i am for no ntc nor nmc. but i think the salary cap is essential for the whole nhl product.

but this is me.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Lol what are you just gonna have a set number for every rfa year or just let arbitrators handle all the contracts ? Guys have been holding out forever when they feel like they aren't getting a fair deal.
soft cap would be nice so teams can pay their RFAs and not worry about blowing up their entire team

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
These players are without an active contract. What are they holding out from?

Hmmm the offers from the team that owns their rights until they agree to his and his clients demands. You know, the usual example of when players hold out for certain amount of money

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That will happen regardless. HF has decided Dubas is a Chia level GM and facts won't change their mind. They just hate him for many reasons, mainly the team he is in charge of.

I mean... has he done anything to disprove it? They're in deep deep cap **** and even last year they didn't make it anywhere near the finals. They're losing a good D in Gardiner with literally no way to replace him. They lost their 2020 1st because they literally couldn't keep Marleau on the roster. Basically, they need a couple top 4 defensemen and a backup goalie that they'll have to sign for about 5 bucks after they sign Marner and deal Zaitsev. And that's even with Kapanen and Johnsson being good dudes and taking reasonable deals for themselves.

They're going to start getting into Chicago territory of having to deal away multiple great NHL players for cap reasons and they won't even have any Cups to show for it.

Jan 21, 2018
I mean if you are Rantanen or Aho why would you sign before Marner has his way with Dubas?

Let Marner do all the dirty work and reset the market once Dubas folds like he always does.
I am pretty sure that Marner will be the first one to sign a contract out of all these guys. Could be an offersheet if he finds a team willing to give him one but even if he doesn't, I think he will have to be the first domino to fall. If that situation drags out, I expect a few hold-outs. Unfortunately Rants might be among them..

I mean if you are Marner or Aho why would you sign before Rantanen has his way with Sakic?

Let Rantanen do all the dirty work and reset the market once Sakic folds like he always does.
I am pretty sure that Rantanen will be the first one to sign a contract out of all these guys. Could be an offersheet if he finds a team willing to give him one but even if he doesn't, I think he will have to be the first domino to fall. If that situation drags out, I expect a few hold-outs. Unfortunately Marner might be among them..

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I mean if you are Marner or Aho why would you sign before Rantanen has his way with Sakic?

Let Rantanen do all the dirty work and reset the market once Sakic folds like he always does.
I am pretty sure that Rantanen will be the first one to sign a contract out of all these guys. Could be an offersheet if he finds a team willing to give him one but even if he doesn't, I think he will have to be the first domino to fall. If that situation drags out, I expect a few hold-outs. Unfortunately Marner might be among them..

Well its not Rantanen that is in the media and talking about visiting other teams to entice an offersheet and wanting every bit as much as Matthews, is it?
Sometimes truth is painful...

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
rough ideas but i am for no ntc nor nmc. but i think the salary cap is essential for the whole nhl product.

but this is me.

I understand your point. I think the problem has exasperated once the nhl decided to go with a salary cap intended to help smaller markets and become a cost control.

But IMO you see smaller markets still failing, limited talent level which is driving up the salaries, and forcing teams to extend contracts to a term that most players can't fulfill due to aging , and the buyout penalties incurred.

Arizona has been a dumpster fire ever since it originally moved from Winnipeg, but somehow the nhl is excited to expand into Seattle?

Buffalo , Carolina, Ottowa, Vancouver, Edmonton, Columbus, Florida, all these teams have been in a downward spiral for many years . Carolina finally became relevant again.

Look at Detroit they where always a fun great dominant team.

Let's be honest can florida really sustain 2 teams?
So far that hasn't been the case.

Or why is Edmonton Vancouver Ottowa in the condition they are , bad ownership.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
soft cap would be nice so teams can pay their RFAs and not worry about blowing up their entire team

I also think the floor needs to be raised or eliminated and have the floor within 10 million max of the ceiling.

What's happening is the floor is creating a culture of losing , penny pinching and not producing nhl talent.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean... has he done anything to disprove it? They're in deep deep cap **** and even last year they didn't make it anywhere near the finals. They're losing a good D in Gardiner with literally no way to replace him. They lost their 2020 1st because they literally couldn't keep Marleau on the roster. Basically, they need a couple top 4 defensemen and a backup goalie that they'll have to sign for about 5 bucks after they sign Marner and deal Zaitsev. And that's even with Kapanen and Johnsson being good dudes and taking reasonable deals for themselves.

They're going to start getting into Chicago territory of having to deal away multiple great NHL players for cap reasons and they won't even have any Cups to show for it.

Sorry how is that on Dubas? He's been on the job for just over a year. He didn't sign Marleau, he didn't sign Zaitsev. He signed a franchise C to a fair market contract.

The only legitimate criticisms I see is Nylander should have been signed in camp, and he should have gotten 8 years for the money he gave Matthews.

Otherwise, how is any of that his fault? You sign your best players. Should he have given away Nylander for a 2nd pairing D that made no difference in the grand scheme of things?

Why does Dubas get 1 year to win a cup or else he is Chia?

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
These teams that are struggling with their cap issues , should be taken advantage of for them screwing over the rest of the league with their ignorance in frugal contract spending.

Toronto overpaid Tavares and that hurts the league as a whole because it drives up salaries and lowers teams ability to produce quality players.

Look at Vegas they will be around 89 million with karlsson signing , nobody should do Vegas any favors and when trading with them hold Vegas accountable by pilfering their talent.

I mean they where handed the keys to the kingdom last year with expansion and they will be exempted from the Seattle expansion. So Vegas doesn't deserve any favors.

Reactions: Grigo

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

They have unreasonable expectations for a team who's best players are on elcs. Unless Matthews, marner and Nylander all peaked during their elcs, which is extremely uncommon, this team had not reached its final form just yet

Noldo

May 28, 2007
They have unreasonable expectations for a team who's best players are on elcs. Unless Matthews, marner and Nylander all peaked during their elcs, which is extremely uncommon, this team had not reached its final form just yet

Even though Matthews, Marner and Nylander May be better players in the future, it is quite unlikely that they will ever again out value their contracts as much as they did while they were on ECLs, especially if they sign for less than maximum term (and I could see Dubas signing Marner for three years just to avoid direct comparison to Matthews’ contract and get him signed at less than 11 per)

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
Nylander cast the mold. No reason for these guys to not follow suit.

Nylander is looking forward to all the creative new nicknames that are sure to follow...

Mekko Rantanen
Mitch Morener
Payden Point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad