Speculation: Some agents for RFA players say you may see some of them absent at start of training camp

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
saying that their clients will hold out... Shocker

This is gonna be a fun summer to watch this chaos

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Eh. They are just using whatever leverage they have. Nylander opened the eyes of a lot of teams I think, and they want to avoid a similar situation.

However most will get a deal done instead of miss hockey IMO.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Meh it's not even nylander guys have gone deep into the pre season negotiating contracts every year since the cap started .

Missing half a season is a bit different but pre season isn't that uncommon

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Can you blame these players. The NHL has been a poop show with its watered down missed calls by the refs, a salary cap announcement months ago only to come back and say no we projected incorrectly and we can't get you a number before the draft starts.

It's time to eliminate the salary cap and nmc,NTC, and contracts that exceed 5 years, also no guarantee money.

You will see these smaller market teams either step up and attempt to produce a winning product or get run out .

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can you blame these players. The NHL has been a poop show with its watered down missed calls by the refs, a salary cap announcement months ago only to come back and say no we projected incorrectly and we can't get you a number before the draft starts.

It's time to eliminate the salary cap and nmc,NTC, and contracts that exceed 5 years, also no guarantee money.

You will see these smaller market teams either step up and attempt to produce a winning product or get run out .

Can see the players loving the no guaranteed money and the elimination of NMC and NTCs.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
However most will get a deal done instead of miss hockey IMO.

You're right, "most" will get a deal done. But probably not all.

That means there will be a prominent RFA or 2 that won't be starting the season.

I guess this is just par for the course as really, this happens every season.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Can see the players loving the no guaranteed money and the elimination of NMC and NTCs.
Yeah getting rid of those would actually make a lockout last unless the owners gave the players more HRR split which won't happen

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Nylander is far from the first RFA to hold out :laugh:
He's not, but his hold-out came at a time when all of this RFA stuff was coming to a head in the background anyway. I'm not saying he caused this wave, but he's a very fresh example that everyone else can point to and say "Hey, didn't work out so bad for him, did it?"

Reactions: hn777 and Estlin

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He's not, but his hold-out came at a time when all of this RFA stuff was coming to a head in the background anyway. I'm not saying he caused this wave, but he's a very fresh example that everyone else can point to and say "Hey, didn't work out so bad for him, did it?"
Hopefully it happens...that way we can all talk about other GM's incompetence instead of just Dubas'.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I hope this garbage get's addressed in the coming lockout. RFAs acting like they have been in the league for 10 years and deserve more than UFAs...

Reactions: White Death 24

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I hope this garbage get's addressed in the coming lockout. RFAs acting like they have been in the league for 10 years and deserve more than UFAs...
Lol what are you just gonna have a set number for every rfa year or just let arbitrators handle all the contracts ? Guys have been holding out forever when they feel like they aren't getting a fair deal.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I wonder if Lou will uphold the old Islanders rule under Wang of "if you don't show up to training camp, you sit out for the year". Wasn't a big fan of Charles but always loved that rule.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
AM contract with the Leafs has changed how/what good RFA’s think/expect......that one contract had changed things. Some GM’s will go along with the changing landscape and others will resist it.....which may lead to some hold outs.

Reactions: hn777 and sharkhawk

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's a unique situation this year with the amount of unprecedented talent hitting rfa status combined with the cba expiring, the expansion and television deal expiring. These guys have a real chance to push salaries if they choose to.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I wonder if Lou will uphold the old Islanders rule under Wang of "if you don't show up to training camp, you sit out for the year". Wasn't a big fan of Charles but always loved that rule.

Doubt it, Lou loves a good holdout. Off the top of my head, Stevens, Niedermayer, Brodeur, Elias, Guerin & Arnott all held out at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad