Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I watched this again this weekend and realized I'd missed a couple nods to the old Lando novels the first time around. I'd still probably put it at the bottom of the new films, but it was still pretty solid for all the production trouble the film had. Ehrenreich and Glover were both believable in their respective roles. And I'm happy Witwer got into the film voicing Maul. It felt right given how much he's voiced him in Clone Wars and Rebels. I do wonder if Filoni didn't suggest putting him in, since it was apparently a last minute thing who would fill the big boss role.

I like Darth Maul but I hate that they brought a character that they literally cut in half back to life.

Invent a new cool character.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
they didnt bring him back to life.

Right, they pretended he wasn't dead after being cleaved in half and falling down an air shaft.

Just lazy writing is all.

I get he's got the Force and Anakin was cut up too, but personally I think they should just let people die sometimes.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Right, they pretended he wasn't dead after being cleaved in half and falling down an air shaft.

I suggest watching Clone Wars or Rebels then. lets not act like Solo is his first reappearance

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
The one-shots are good. 7 & 8 are horrible. Here's one example. Why should I care that Snope is alive or dead? I don't know anything about him. It's called characterization.

There was nowhere to go after 6, all the Jedi masters were dead, so Jedi Knights can't be trained. The only option was the fascinating past. Great novels have already been written about it. Who wouldn't want to see the pre-Yoda universe where the Jedi and Sith were more powerful than Yoda can dream of being. I would love to.

Reactions: YNWA14

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
finally watched it. went in expecting it to be bad. thought it was fantastic

I didn't thought it was fantastic but good. Got going around the half way mark and I enjoyed the ride from then on. Not sure if I'd watch it again, but good job by Ron Howard. This far exceeded my expectations in a positive way.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland

I get he's got the Force and Anakin was cut up too, but personally I think they should just let people die sometimes.

I think Solo depicts earlier events in timeline to that movie where he gets slicep up.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I can't help but wonder if this movie would have done better if Disney waited until December to release it in theaters.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It's just been released on blu-ray so probably not soon. Use torrents, you n00b.

Meh. Last Jedi was in theatres in December and it hit Netflix around July or early August. I figure/hope Solo will probably hit Netflix around Christmas.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I can't help but wonder if this movie would have done better if Disney waited until December to release it in theaters.

Maybe but it then could have hurt Disney's Mary Poppins 2

That is why they didn't want to release Star Wars in December

+ Movies like Wreck It Ralph 2 should be there to eat into family entertainment (Which is what a large chunk of Star Wars would be) market as Ralph should play strong thru holidays after its Nov release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad