Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have trouble understanding the opinions that TLJ was so awful when perfectly acceptable scenes (Rose seeing someone packed up and leaving alone in an escape pod during tough times being conflated with her temporarily leaving with the group to bring back a code breaker to save everyone) get labeled as terrible sequences.

And I don't understand how the new series of movies "pissed off" people. What the DC universe did may be worthy of getting "pissed off" with how terribly it was organized and the fact their movies rank from mediocre to downright awful. The Star Wars movies? Overall I feel they have been pretty good. You may not like them, and that is fine, but holy cow the amount of "KK/Disney ruined Star Wars" is close to the same level as the whole "George Lucas ruined my childhood" crap I heard after the PT.

Reactions: Jussi and Hivemind

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If it’s any consolation I feel the same level of bemusement with both the DCEU and Disney Star Wars.

Only difference is Zach Snyder didn’t get all pissy about his film’s poor reception and start ranting on Twitter about how terrible the fans are.

Rian Johnson is still going on Twitter storms to defend his bad movie. :laugh:

Reactions: shello

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I have trouble understanding the opinions that TLJ was so awful when perfectly acceptable scenes (Rose seeing someone packed up and leaving alone in an escape pod during tough times being conflated with her temporarily leaving with the group to bring back a code breaker to save everyone) get labeled as terrible sequences.

And I don't understand how the new series of movies "pissed off" people. What the DC universe did may be worthy of getting "pissed off" with how terribly it was organized and the fact their movies rank from mediocre to downright awful. The Star Wars movies? Overall I feel they have been pretty good. You may not like them, and that is fine, but holy cow the amount of "KK/Disney ruined Star Wars" is close to the same level as the whole "George Lucas ruined my childhood" crap I heard after the PT.

I agree that scenes and characters like Rose were fine, my problem is with other things, including but not limited to contrived plots, predictable twists, and characters doing things that absolutely go contrary to their character. Combine that with the obvious rehashing of old Star Wars themes and it’s not a great movie. TFA is basically the same movie as ANH so that is a huge problem to.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Oh no a director is using Twitter to express his views how will Star Wars recover

I mean, it won’t hurt Star Wars’ image, but it’s still a bad look. It’s one step away from creating Bryan Colangelo type burner accounts.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
For me that's kind of the source root of the problem with the new Star Wars. While I've never been a huge Star Wars nerd, as a teen in the 90's I happily delved into some of the EU books and of course got into many of the video games that were set before, during, and after the events of the original trilogy. I'd say that's a huge factor why Star Wars has remained relevant to this day, because the original trilogy set it up to let peoples imaginations run wild.

The Last Jedi on the other hand, feels more like a film crafted more specifically please film making auteurs. Practically all the positive reviews focus on things like how it subverts expectations, and things like that. What's overlooked though is how technically the movie starts immediately where the last one left off and ends two literally two days later with the entirety of the Resistance/Rebellion whittled down to the point where you can fit everyone left in the Millennium Falcon.

There were a lot of things I liked in the movie but where exactly do you build off there? Where's the room to create something like Shadows of the Empire, or any of the other number of games/books from around that period? I don't know if that's necessarily what everyone wants, but it's certainly not something that Kennedy/Johnson seem to get.

Where do you go after it is established that Kylo takes over the First Order and most of the galaxy while the Resistance escapes certain death?

Doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with stories in that setting.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh no a director is using Twitter to express his views how will Star Wars recover

While the neckbeards have YouTube channels and Twitters accounts dedicated to trashing a movie that came out 6 months ago.

Just like the Trumpkins keep telling everyone how evil Hilary is despite the fact that she lost almost 2 years ago and no one cares about her anymore.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Anyway, TLJ is on Netflix now so I put it on for a bit last night and rewatched the scene where Rose tazes Finn for desertion but then 5 minutes later she joins him in deserting after Finn and Poe give one of the worst plot explanations I have ever seen in my life. Its a flabbergastingly stupid movie. I don't understand how such a dumb movie got made.
Have you seen the reviews on Netflix? 1-star ratings galore. Looks like the Russian bots and 4chan trolls are at it again.

It's got to be fake accounts giving these poor reviews. It's the only explanation.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Also, why is Poe allowed free reign over the entire ship, including being left along in Leia's hospital/medical room while she is still unconscious, if he is also just some hot-headed, idiot flyboy on the brink of mutiny?

The movie simultaneously presents Poe like Leia's most trusted confidante and second in command but also like a hot-headed "flyboy" who needs to be put in his place by his more intelligent superiors.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Also, why is Poe allowed free reign over the entire ship, including being left along in Leia's hospital/medical room while she is still unconscious, if he is also just some hot-headed, idiot flyboy on the brink of mutiny?

The movie simultaneously presents Poe like Leia's most trusted confidante and second in command but also like a hot-headed "flyboy" who needs to be put in his place by his more intelligent superiors.

Have you seen the reviews on Netflix? 1-star ratings galore. Looks like the Russian bots and 4chan trolls are at it again.

It's got to be fake accounts giving these poor reviews. It's the only explanation.
You are both aware there is a thread you can air out your little grievances in that is actually on topic, right?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Meh, Star Wars is Star Wars.

Infinity War is being discussed in the Infinity War thread, the MCU thread, and the Ant-Man thread.

:dunno:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Meh, Star Wars is Star Wars.

Infinity War is being discussed in the Infinity War thread, the MCU thread, and the Ant-Man thread.

:dunno:
MCU is an all encompassing thread so why would it not? And from what I recall Ant-Man was in Infinity war and all the movies are related, which makes that line much more blurry when it comes to discussion. This is a clear cut deal.

Honestly these nitpicks and issues with TLJ are getting beyond tedious, and continue to get more silly (Poe was demoted but still allowed to be in the medical bay, WOW PLOT HOLE). The movie came out six months ago, the discussion on good/bad has been done to death, and this isn't even based on the new trilogy at all.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
What amazes me about the state of Star Wars is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of plan. When you go into a planned trilogy having no idea of the major plot points and where each new movie gets a new direction based on the director's whims, there's a problem. How there wasn't a general outline of the entire trilogy from day 1 is a problem. You hear of TV shows where the writers know how the show is going to end years beforehand or where the end of the TV show is even filmed at the beginning of the series. Yet a three movie set of Star Wars movies doesn't have such foresight? Disney really must have been thinking that they could put anything out with the Star Wars name and people would eat it up.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What amazes me about the state of Star Wars is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of plan. When you go into a planned trilogy having no idea of the major plot points and where each new movie gets a new direction based on the director's whims, there's a problem. How there wasn't a general outline of the entire trilogy from day 1 is a problem. You hear of TV shows where the writers know how the show is going to end years beforehand or where the end of the TV show is even filmed at the beginning of the series. Yet a three movie set of Star Wars movies doesn't have such foresight? Disney really must have been thinking that they could put anything out with the Star Wars name and people would eat it up.

where exactly is the notion that they dont have a planned story arc for the trilogy coming from?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I just saw Solo today and absolutely loved it. Probably my favorite of the new movies so far. I know some of you will say they’re all garbage but I really liked TFA and R1, so that’s high praise from me. The whole movie had me entertained. The main actor did a great job playing Han. Everything was tied together nicely. I’m going to guess Maul and Kira play a role in Ovi-Wan’s movie at some point.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I just saw Solo today and absolutely loved it. Probably my favorite of the new movies so far. I know some of you will say they’re all garbage but I really liked TFA and R1, so that’s high praise from me. The whole movie had me entertained. The main actor did a great job playing Han. Everything was tied together nicely. I’m going to guess Maul and Kira play a role in Ovi-Wan’s movie at some point.

That seems like it's going to be the direction, which isn't a bad idea. And assuming that those rumours about them shelving this whole set of side stories isn't true. Not really sure about the talk of a Boba Fett movie, but I'd really look forward to an Obi Wan one.

Also was I the only one going through the whole movie expecting Kira to either die and/or turn out to be an Imperial agent? I just got thrown off because one of the trailer shots showing her all done up in an official uniform, and not realizing they'd be setting the stage for a couple movies figured they'd need to kill off Han's first love interest to wrap everything up. So as a GoT fan kind of happy to see Emilia Clarke in line for more Star Wars.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
That seems like it's going to be the direction, which isn't a bad idea. And assuming that those rumours about them shelving this whole set of side stories isn't true. Not really sure about the talk of a Boba Fett movie, but I'd really look forward to an Obi Wan one.

Also was I the only one going through the whole movie expecting Kira to either die and/or turn out to be an Imperial agent? I just got thrown off because one of the trailer shots showing her all done up in an official uniform, and not realizing they'd be setting the stage for a couple movies figured they'd need to kill off Han's first love interest to wrap everything up. So as a GoT fan kind of happy to see Emilia Clarke in line for more Star Wars.

I was definitely expecting her to die and for Han to turn more into the darker pessimistic Han we see at the beginning of a New Hope. I don’t really know how they’re going to do Maul exactly because you would have to include the Ezra buildup for his conclusion with Ovi-Wan. It would be hard, but I really doubt they never use his character again.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Well, a few of us wondered how many billions TLJ was going to cost the Disney franchise.

This is is the first star Wars film to ever almost lose money? Great director and good story. Will be interesting to see what the next installment is going to bring in.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The problem with these movies isn't that they're bad, it's they're too many in a short time period. These movies should come out every 2 or 3 years, not yearly and in Solo it came out a couple of months after TLJ, saturation of these movies is the reason for the failure of the lastest star wars flop.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The problem with these movies isn't that they're bad, it's they're too many in a short time period. These movies should come out every 2 or 3 years, not yearly and in Solo it came out a couple of months after TLJ, saturation of these movies is the reason for the failure of the lastest star wars flop.

Couldn’t disagree more. The problem is the last one of the main series was pretty bad. None of them have really been super amazing. Solo has probably been the best one but not many people went to see it after TLJ.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Couldn’t disagree more. The problem is the last one of the main series was pretty bad. None of them have really been super amazing. Solo has probably been the best one but not many people went to see it after TLJ.
The last jedi was bad and probably disappointed most fans, but the real problem is saturation. As I said before these movies are best when you can't wait to see the next one, but are forced to wait and anticipate for a couple of years, not a couple of months .

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The last jedi was bad and probably disappointed most fans, but the real problem is saturation. As I said before these movies are best when you can't wait to see the next one, but are forced to wait and anticipate for a couple of years, not a couple of months .

Marvel releases a few a year and they’re destroying it at the box office. The market for the two is pretty similar. You’re off here.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I dont think the MCU and Star Wars are very good comparables.

I suppose there is lots of "expanded universe" stuff that Disney could have used to build something more comparable to the MCU, but the only people mainstream audiences would recognize are the characters from the OT anyways, so even if they used the EU they're still starting from a much smaller amount of public awareness than Marvel was.

Releasing Star Wars every year would be like releasing Guardians of the Galaxy every year. That would get tired very, very quickly.

Reactions: hoglund

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I dont think the MCU and Star Wars are very good comparables.

I suppose there is lots of "expanded universe" stuff that Disney could have used to build something more comparable to the MCU, but the only people mainstream audiences would recognize are the characters from the OT anyways, so even if they used the EU they're still starting from a much smaller amount of public awareness than Marvel was.

Releasing Star Wars every year would be like releasing Guardians of the Galaxy every year. That would get tired very, very quickly.

Lol no it’s really not. Maybe Marvel and Star Wars isn’t the perfect comparison but it’s better than Guardisns and Star Wars. Star Wars had popular movies already and a large fanbase. It has far more characters to work with. I think that’s a pretty poor example.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I watched this again this weekend and realized I'd missed a couple nods to the old Lando novels the first time around. I'd still probably put it at the bottom of the new films, but it was still pretty solid for all the production trouble the film had. Ehrenreich and Glover were both believable in their respective roles. And I'm happy Witwer got into the film voicing Maul. It felt right given how much he's voiced him in Clone Wars and Rebels. I do wonder if Filoni didn't suggest putting him in, since it was apparently a last minute thing who would fill the big boss role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad