GDT: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I actually think Hedman is better than Kronwall personally. If I had to list them, it would go something like this:

Karlsson
OEL/Hedman
Kronwall
Hjalmarsson
Brodin
Edler
Ericsson

Maybe I'm just a big fan of Kronwall, but I'd take him over any of those guys (for a one-off game, not to build around...that would be Hedman or Karlsson or OEL because of how young they are). If we are talking about value to a franchise, I'd probably use the same order as you have there. But if we are just talking about better players, I think Kronwall is more complete than all these guys.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Maybe I'm just a big fan of Kronwall, but I'd take him over any of those guys (for a one-off game, not to build around...that would be Hedman or Karlsson or OEL because of how young they are). If we are talking about value to a franchise, I'd probably use the same order as you have there. But if we are just talking about better players, I think Kronwall is more complete than all these guys.

I can definitely see the reasoning there if we're talking about just a single game or a short tournament. Kronwall has more experience the any of them which certainly works to his benefit. In the future, I think all three pass him in terms of level of play, but yeah, the case can be made for today. Hell, maybe they preferred Kronwall to Hedman because they knew they already lacked in experience, and he was the easiest to replace with what they already had with a guy like Hjalmarsson.

Btw, Parise named captain of the U.S. team today. Solid choice, and who I would have gone with.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
^

Brown and Suter are the assistants to Parise in Sochi.

Plenty of leadership options for the Ameros and, while some will probably question Brown as an assistant, all three were good choices.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
^

Brown and Suter are the assistants to Parise in Sochi.

Plenty of leadership options for the Ameros and, while some will probably question Brown as an assistant, all three were good choices.

Really? I was thinking he would be captain. I love Dustin Brown.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I love when they name the captains & assistants for these teams & people get all worked up over who was & wasn't selected like they're the only people allowed to say anything in the locker room.

To me it's just a letter & a lot of these guys wear letters for their club teams & aren't going to be shy to say something if they need to.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Stamkos will play vs DET Saturday and after that he'll decide if he's ready

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Gold - Sweden
Silver - Canada
Bronze - USA/Russia

As it was mentioned above it is interesting what is going to happen during these olympics regarding politics and potential for terrorist activities. Also interesting that Dustin Brown and Ryan Suter, among others have asked their family members to not attend because of their safety.

This is what confuses me, I understand that the host city is picked well before the games begin, but come on, there is legit crazy terrorist activity going on there, if players are asking their families to stay home for the Olympics you know things have turned for the worse and are pretty serious over there, I think moving the games to another city is the smart thing to do, it will never happen because money runs everything and is the most important in this situation, I just hope every athlete from every country comes back healthy and whole

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I read some article that was posted on the Lightning board - Stamkos said something along the lines of his bone not being fully healed, but enough to get him in the lineup. That would scare the **** out of me I were a Tampa fan

Edit - here it is

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...-saturday-return-at-home-vs-red-wings/2163952

Whether the bone is 100% healed or not, it's pretty safe to assume he won't be at 100% between conditioning and everything else. A country like Slovakia with little depth can afford to take a risk on an elite player less than 100% (like Gaborik), but should Canada? I don't think so, but we will see.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Babcock is meeting with Stamkos this week to discuss the Olympics.

Here is my question, if Stamkos is left off, is it St. Louis or Giroux? I think those are the top 2 targets and both provide a lot of support and neither are Stamkos.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

Here is my question, if Stamkos is left off, is it St. Louis or Giroux? I think those are the top 2 targets and both provide a lot of support and neither are Stamkos.

With Steve Yzerman having a lot to say and St. Louis being already 37-years-old, I believe he'll be the first emergency call. This is his absolut last chance to ever play in the Olympics.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
These Russian games are a disaster, the IOC looks like a real bunch of jackasses here for awarding it to them.

I just looked it up...South Korea & Austria were in the running before they finally awarded it to Sochi.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

Don't count out Thornton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad