GDT: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
9 hour delay from Sochi to Eastern Time. So basically any normal time I want to watch the Olympics, nothing will be happening.

So wrong...this is not "nothing"

curling_f.jpg

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I like curling, but they won't play it at 3am in Russia. That's my problem, when I sit down at 8 oclock my time, everything will be a tape, not that I need to watch curling live, but to me its more interesting.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/nhl-pull-players-olympics-terror-concerns-article-1.1593327

NHL player participation in the Olympics beyond 2014 is in doubt for a host of logistical and financial reasons, and though it's highly unlikely, a worst-case scenario exists to jeopardize their presence in Sochi, Russia, this February, as well.

League deputy commissioner Bill Daly expressed full confidence in security steps taken in Russia for the upcoming Games during a recent interview with the Associated Press, but he allowed for the possibility that a major security breach could keep NHL players from traveling overseas at all.

"As of now, we do not doubt that all necessary steps are being taken by the Sochi Organizing Committee, the Russian government and the IOC to ensure the safety of the athletes and guests in Sochi," Daly wrote Monday in an email to the AP. "Obviously, if something significant were to transpire between now and February 9 that causes us to question that conclusion, we will re-evaluate. I don't expect that that will become necessary."

Russian security has been looking for three potential female suicide bombers, one of whom is believed to be in Sochi. The country has assembled what is believed to be the biggest security operation ever for an Olympics with more than 50,000 police and soldiers.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Looks like Giroux might make Sochi after all...according to Stamkos' doctors they are no where near(could be a month) to releasing him to play, heard this on NHLXM radio this morning. Yzerman was quoted on saying that Giroux would be first on the list if there was an injury or substitution...my guess is Yzerman will probably select St.Louis though.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Apparently this is Sweden's reserve list.

Robin Lehner, Nicklas Grossman, Erik Gustafsson, Jonas Brodin, Staffan Kronwall, Patric Hörnqvist, Marcus Johansson, Gustav Nyquist.

First thing I notice is obviously Grossmann and Gus. 2nd is what the hell did Hedman do to Sweden's coach? Kick his dog?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Babcock has input and he just watched Giroux smoke his team.

St. Louis has put up better numbers, but I still think Giroux is a better overall player.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If Giroux doesn't go, there are tons of reasons to dislike Team Canada, Kunitz being on that team for 1.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
First thing I notice is obviously Grossmann and Gus. 2nd is what the hell did Hedman do to Sweden's coach? Kick his dog?

He doesn't excel offensively or defensively, he's just "good" at both, thus he isn't going to contribute in a way that our coach wishes.

To be able to make the Swedish D-corps you have to be a defensive pylon able to clear the porch clean or a lights out offensive guy to contribute. Being able to do both just doesn't cut it. Kinda like the NHL-videogames.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He doesn't excel offensively or defensively, he's just "good" at both, thus he isn't going to contribute in a way that our coach wishes.

To be able to make the Swedish D-corps you have to be a defensive pylon able to clear the porch clean or a lights out offensive guy to contribute. Being able to do both just doesn't cut it. Kinda like the NHL-videogames.

Is this sarcasm? If so, forgive me, but leaving Sweden leaving Hedman off their roster was/will be a huge mistake. Hedman has quietly been a beast for his last 100+ games.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Is this sarcasm? If so, forgive me, but leaving Sweden leaving Hedman off their roster was/will be a huge mistake. Hedman has quietly been a beast for his last 100+ games.

The second part, yes.

The first is not, that is the coaches words.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The second part, yes.

The first is not, that is the coaches words.

Lol. I actually think the Hedman snub is a bigger story than MSL being left off Canada.

Clearly, Stevie Yzerman is in play here. He got his guys left off the Olympic rosters to keep them fresh for the playoffs. :sarcasm:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Staffan Kronwall and Grossmann over him is mental. So is Gus.

I kind of get why Brodin could be ahead of him in some way due to int ice, and Gus's WC performance obviously gave him some kudos among the National team.

But Hedman IMO is a top 20-25 D man in the NHL now... the guy has just been awesome this year and last. He is looking like a 40+ point defensive monster.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Bill Daley was on the NHL network radio the other day and essentially said that there is absolutely no chance the NHL won't be there this year. He basically laughed at the idea and said some comments have been misconstrued pretty badly.

Apparently this is Sweden's reserve list.

Also on NHL Network Radio (love listening there) said that Hedman wasn't chosen most likely because he snubbed them at the World Championships last year. Apparently he was asked to play and he turned them down and they were pretty pissed about it. Sweden is one team that can actually afford to leave a guy like Hedman off though. I mean, I think he is clearly better than pretty much anyone on that team outside of Kronwall and Karlsson, but even without Hedman the OEL, Ericsson, Edler, Hjalmarsson botom four look pretty damned good.

EDIT: Also, I am legitimately surprised Nik Lidstrom isn't on the team despite his retirement.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Bill Daley was on the NHL network radio the other day and essentially said that there is absolutely no chance the NHL won't be there this year. He basically laughed at the idea and said some comments have been misconstrued pretty badly.

Also on NHL Network Radio (love listening there) said that Hedman wasn't chosen most likely because he snubbed them at the World Championships last year. Apparently he was asked to play and he turned them down and they were pretty pissed about it. Sweden is one team that can actually afford to leave a guy like Hedman off though. I mean, I think he is clearly better than pretty much anyone on that team outside of Kronwall and Karlsson, but even without Hedman the OEL, Ericsson, Edler, Hjalmarsson botom four look pretty damned good.

EDIT: Also, I am legitimately surprised Nik Lidstrom isn't on the team despite his retirement.

I actually think Hedman is better than Kronwall personally. If I had to list them, it would go something like this:

Karlsson
OEL/Hedman
Kronwall
Hjalmarsson
Brodin
Edler
Ericsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad